PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:06 am      Post subject:

Dave,
Thank you so much, not only for the translation but for the additional detailed information which is not only very helpful, but very interesting. I was wondering about the note at the bottom of the Cichon/Podraza marriage. Was there a reason Jozef Podraza needed to give permission for his daughter to marry Jan Cichon or was this common on marriage records?
Joann
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:47 am      Post subject:

JS2985 wrote:
Dave,
I was wondering about the note at the bottom of the Cichon/Podraza marriage. Was there a reason Jozef Podraza needed to give permission for his daughter to marry Jan Cichon or was this common on marriage records?
Joann

Joann,

I may answer this one.
http://polishorigins.com/forum/files/cichon_john_and_maria_podraza_marriage__copy_2_124.jpg

Dave wrote:
Quote:

Note at the bottom of entry: The notation is in Polish and it states: I,the undersigned grant my permission to my daughter Maryanna to enter into marriage with Jan Cichon. (Signed): xxx Jozef Podraza, father.

Polish text is:
Niżej podpisany pozwalam mojej małoletniej córce Maryannie na zwiazki małżenskie z Janem Cichoniem.

The missing word in Dave's is "małoletniej" - minor - "... to my minor daughter Maryanna ...". She is 22, but it might be it was minor in 1876. Anyway it is the reason given in the bottom annotation.

Best,
Elzbieta
==
JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:09 am      Post subject:

Elzbieta,
Since she was 22 I thought there may be another reason permission was needed but the word minor clarifies that. Very interesting. Thank you again for your help.
Joann
JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:18 am      Post subject: Marianna Podraza Cichon Death

Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for the marriage record translations. May I please have the attached death record (#13) translated at your convenience.
Joann

Cichon, Maria Podraza Death - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.93 MB
 Viewed:  11294 Time(s)

Cichon, Maria Podraza Death - Copy.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:33 pm      Post subject:

Joann,

For the headings on the death record I'll only retype enough of the Latin to make it easy for you to identify the column but will provide an English translation of each heading. Here it is.

Col. 1: Numerus serialis 13 = Number in order 13
Col. 2: 1890 Dies et mensis obitus et sepultus = Day & month of death and burial: Junius 9 13 = June 9 (death) & 13 (burial)
Col. 3: Numerus domus obitus = Number of the house of death : 133 (House number where she died)
Col. 4: Nomen, cognomen....patris = First and last name of the deceased; with infants or single persons: also the first and last names and status/occupation of the parents; with married persons: the first and last names of the surviving spouse or of the father of the deceased: Marianna nata Podraza uxor derelicti mariti Joannis Chicon, agr(icola) = Maryanna born Podraza, the wife of her surviving husband Jan Cichon, a farmer.
Col. 5: Religio = Religion; Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic, checked; Col. 5b.: aut alia = or other, blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex; Col. 6a: Masculini = masculine, blank; Col. 6b: Feminini = feminine, checked
Col. 7: Dies vitae = days of life (age): 37 ann(orum) = 37 years
Col. 8: Morbus et qualitas mortis = Disease and type of death: Typhus(?) = typhus (not completely sure of what the priest wrote)
Col. 9: Annotatio = Noatation; Qui Confessionis....etc., etc. = Who was able to make his/her Confession, or why the Most Holy Sacraments were not receive beforehand (before death), number and date of the document of review, etc., etc. (This was the column where the priest was to make note of any information which he considered important.) : provis(a) S(anctissimis) S(acramentis), rev(isio) 10/6/(1)890 = Prepared beforehand with the Most Holy Sacraments (Confession, Communion [Viaticum] and Extreme Unction (now called Anointing of the Sick), document of review (dated) June 10, 1890.
Final entry: Benedixit Jos(ephus) Kosminski = Jozef Kosminski blessed (the corpse). (He was the priest who provided the funeral rites.)

I had a very difficult time reading the letters for the illness in Col. 8. After trying a number of possibilities, the one that makes the most sense would be typhus, which was a fairly common cause of death in the 19th Century. There are about 5 types of the disease, i.e. typhoid fever, typhus fever, louse typhus, flea typhus, and mite typhus and there is no way to know which type it was. The cause of death in the two entries above Maryanna's is written more legibly (variola or smallpox) but unfortunately the handwriting for her entry is not clear. Anyway, typhus is what I believe the priest wrote.

I was wondering if these records are from a parish in the Austrian Partition? If so, the reason for some of the data becomes clear since the parish priests submitted copies of church records to the civil authorities which served as civil registration of births, marriages and deaths. The document of review in Col. 9 would then be a type of burial permit or death certificate.

Sorry that I omitted the info about her being a minor in the marriage record. I'm not the best at typing (or in more contemporary terminology, keyboarding) and so I just didn't type it in. If the parish was in the Austrian Partition, I'm not familiar enough with the rules there to say when a woman ceased to be considered a minor. It may have had more to do with custom than with law. Parental permission can be a funny thing. A grand uncle of mine, living in Chicago in 1920 when he was 27 years old did not marry the girl he wanted to marry because his widowed mother would not give him her permission/blessing. He was born in Chicago but his mother and older siblings were born in the German Partition. There was certainly no law in Illinois (or in German Poland for that matter) which would have required parental permission for him to marry, but he just would not do it without his mother's permission---hard to imagine that happening now.

The explanation of the meaning of Jan's occupation, agricola, is the same as in the marriage records you posted.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Dave
JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:48 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Yes, these records are from a parish in the Austrian Partition, Dąbrówka Wisłocka, Rzeszów.

No apologies necessary regarding the omission of “minor” in the marriage record. It helps keep me sharp by not letting someone else do all of the work for me. I do have another question. This one is on the Marriage of Tomasz Bartkiewicz & Wiktoria Cichon that you translated for me. I don’t know if you noticed, in the subject line I spelled the name “Bartkowicz” which is what the family went by in the U.S. and what I thought the name was. However, there are members of other parts of this family that say the name was “Bartkiewicz” which is how you translated it. Yet when I look at the same record I see Bartkowicz. What am I missing here?

I was thinking how amazing it is what you can learn from such a small record (when it’s translated by someone knowledgeable). Then I went back and was reading all of the posts in Latin records translations and in one of them you mentioned the importance of trying to understand every word in the record in order not to miss valuable information. Just for that reason I have several other records for this generation of this family that I would like to have you translate, but I don’t want to monopolize your time or this forum so I’ll post them sporadically.

I’ve learned so much already from the three translations you’ve done for me. The additional information you’ve provided is teaching me about the culture, which is so much more than I ever expected from a translation. Thank you so much for doing what you do.

Regards,
Joann
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:13 pm      Post subject:

Joann,

You are not missing anything. I was seeing something which wasn't there. When I looked at the surname I saw what looked like a dot over the second syllable of Bartkowicz and a reflex just kicked in---in Polish the letter k cannot be followed by the letter e without an i between them. I just assumed that the name was Bartkiewicz, which is much more common than Bartkowicz so without being as careful as I should have been, I erred. The surname in the record is definitely Bartkowicz. I apologize and it is a good lesson to read names more carefully.

One of the reasons that a lot of information can be found in a rather short Latin record is due to the compact nature of the language. Latin has no articles like "a" and "the" and Latin does not use helping words like English does and Latin syntax has constructions which can express in two or three words what in English would be expressed in a whole clause. Of course, familiarity with the language helps but you can get a general sense of what is written in a Latin text more easily than most people imagine. The reason is that although English is not a direct descendant of Latin like the Romance Languages (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.) are, an amazing 65% of our English words are derived from Latin words---a huge number of words when you stop to think that English has about 250,000 words. English words like paternal, maternal, filial, fraternity, sorority, annual and equestrian all come from Latin. When you see a Latin word like pater (father) or mater (mother) or filius (son) or frater (brother) or annus (year) or eques (horse) the English words derived from these Latin nouns can help you guess with a degree of accuracy the general meaning those Latin nouns. While thinking in those terms will not give a person the exact meaning of the Latin words, a general sense of what the Latin means is possible.

Please don't ever feel that you are monopolizing my time by posting records for translation. I enjoy doing the translations and they provide me with an opportunity to keep in practice with a language I used to teach. Feel free to post documents whenever you would like to do so and I'll be happy to translate them.

Wishing you the best of success in your research,

Dave
JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:29 pm      Post subject: Bartkowicz Death Records

Hi Dave,

Attached are death records for two of Tomasz Bartkowicz and Wiktoria Cichon's children that died shortly after birth. The first is for Sophia in 1902-#18 and the second is for Jan in 1903-#31. I was unable to search for baptismal records for them because baptismal records were only available through 1900. If I'm reading them correctly I think they contain the date of birth.

Joann

Bartkowicz, Baby Sophia Death - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  11295 Time(s)

Bartkowicz, Baby Sophia Death - Copy.jpg

Bartkowicz, Baby John Death - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.99 MB

Bartkowicz, Baby John Death - Copy.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:01 am      Post subject:

Joann,

You are reading the records correctly. They do contain the dates of birth of both infants. Zofia was born on October 3, 1902 and Jan was born on October 11, 1903. Here is the first translations.

Death of Zofia Bartkowicz

Col. 1 1902: Number in order (for year) 18
Col. 2: Date of death = December 7; Date of Burial = December 9 Added note in this column: n(ata) 3/10/1902 = (She was) born on October 3, 1902
Col. 3: House Number = 104
Col. 4: Name, etc.: Sophia filia leg(itima) Thomae Bartkowicz agr(icola) et Victoriae nata Cichon = Zofia, the legitimate daughter of Tomasz Bartkowicz, a farmer, and Wiktoria born Cichon
Col. 5: Religion; 5a: Catholic, checked; 5b: or another, blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex; 6a: Masculini=Masculine, blank; 6b: Feminini, checked
Col. 7: Dies vitae = days of life (age): 2 menses= 2 months
Col. 8: Morbus, etc. = Disease, etc.: Kaszel = Cough (The entries in this column are written in Polish rather than in Latin.)
Col. 9: Adnotatio = Note: rev. 7/12/1902=document of review (dated) December 7, 1902

The record concludes with "Asper(sit) Joannes Wilczenski" = "Jan Wilczenski sprinkled (the corpse with holy water)" Just another way of saying who celebrated the funeral rites. The burial ritual for infants was rather simple and one of the most visible features of the rite was the sprinkling of the coffin with holy water. When I was in grammar school at St. Michael's in Chicago funerals of infants were still fairly common (about one every month) and the little coffin was placed near the Communion rail during the 8:00 a.m. Mass which the school children attended. At the end of the Mass the priest would stand near the coffin, say some prayers and sprinkle the coffin with holy water.

Infant mortality during the 19th and early 20th Centuries was common both in Poland and in America.

The death record of Jan will appear in the next post.

Dave

Last edited by dnowicki on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:38 am      Post subject:

Joann,

Here is the translation of the death record of Jan.

Col. 1 1903: Number in order (for the year) 31
Col. 2: Date of death = October 17; Date of burial = October 19
Col. 3: House Number = 104
Col. 4: Name, etc.: Joannes Bartkowicz filius Thomae et Victoriae Cichon = Jan Bartkowicz, the son of Tomasz and Wiktoria (nee) Cichon
Col. 5: Religion; Col. 5a: Catholic, checked; Col. 5b: or other, blank
Col. 6: Sexus =Sex; Col. 6a: Masculini = Masculine, checked; Col. 6b Feminini = femiline, blank
Col. 8: Morbus, etc. = Disease, etc.: Naturalis= natural (he died a natural death of an unspecified cause) Here the cause of death is listed in Latin. Often in other records I've seen the cause of death in the first few weeks after birth is given as "debilitas" = "weakness" or "failure to thrive". It was not uncommon for a child like Jan who was born almost exactly one year after the previous child to have difficulties soon after birth.
Col. 9: Adnotatio = Notation: blank
Conclusion of record: "Asper(sit) Joannes Wilczenski" = same as in previous record.

Just wondering...a number of the records on these two posts list parents with the surnames Cichon (Jan, Maryanna, & Tekla) and Bartkowicz (Jozef and Jan). Are they siblings or cousins of Tomasz & Wiktoria?

Dave
JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:43 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the translations. I too noticed the surnames in the other entries but I am not far enough into my research to answer your question just yet, except that none of the Cichon's are Wiktoria's siblings.

Tomasz Bartkowicz and Wiktoria Cichon are my maternal great grandparents. There was a “family story” that Wiktoria’s father died and her mother married Jan Cichon and he “adopted” her and her younger sister and had three more children with their mother. All five “Cichon” children came to the U.S. and while researching them I found information to suggest that it was their mother who had died and their father remarried and had three children with his second wife.

Thomas and Wiktoria had another son, Mikolaj (Nicholas), born in 1904 before they came to the U.S. in 1906. It was his Petition for Naturalization that led me to Dąbrówka Wisłocka where I was able to locate all of the baptismal, death and marriage records to prove that Wiktoria and her sister are the biological daughters of Jan Cichon. These are the records I will be asking you to translate for me now (you’ve already done the marriage record for Wiktoria’s parents and her mother’s death record). I'll be continuing my research of the Cichon and Podraza names in Dąbrówka Wisłocka.

Unfortunately I know nothing of any siblings Tomasz Bartkowicz may have had. With the information from the marriage record you translated for me I now have his parents’ names. I was not able to locate a baptismal record for him in 1875 in Dąbrówka Wisłocka. I need to do more research on "House #22" which is where he was living when he and Wiktoria married and I did find a Tomasz Bartkowicz born in 1875 in Zasów on the Geneteka Index. The birth index was for the years 1860-1895 and listed 85 births for Bartkowicz and 88 for Magdzairz (Tomasz’s mothers’ maiden name). I’m hoping the Family History Center I go to have the microfilm for Zasów on permanent loan, otherwise I’ll have to order it. But it sounds promising.

I have several records to be translated so I’ll send a few at a time for you to do at your convenience. The first three are Wiktoria Baptism 1877 (#6), Anna Baptism 1880 (#7) and Anna Death 1881 (#29).

Thanks,

Joann

Cichon, Victoria Baptism - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB

Cichon, Victoria Baptism - Copy.jpg

Cichon, Anna Baptism - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB

Cichon, Anna  Baptism - Copy.jpg

Cichon, Anna Death - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  894.59 KB

Cichon, Anna Death - Copy.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 pm      Post subject:

Hi Joann,

Today is like one of those "buy one, get one free" sales that grocery stores like to run...only the price of the first item is not double the usual price. There are actually two more baptismal records of children of siblings of Jan Cichon. In 1877 #4 the mother of Jozef Socha is Tekla Cichon whose parents are Stanislaw Cichon and Katarzyna nee Stec. In 1880 #5 the father of Stanislaw is Jakub Cichon whose parents are also Stanislaw Cichon and Katarzyna nee Stec. I'll also translate those two record since they are first cousins of your great grandmother Wiktoria. The translations will not all be posted in a single post.

Dave

Here is the first of the two 1877 Baptisms starting with Wikoria:

Col. 1: N(ume)rus serialis = Number in order = 6
Col. 2: 1877 Dies et Mensis = Day and Month; Aprilis = April
Col. 2A: Nat(avitatis) = of birth = 1
Col. 2B: Bap(tismi) = of Baptism = 2
Col. 3: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 43
Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Victoria = Wiktoria
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5A: Catholica, checked; Col. 5B: Acatholica= Non Catholic, blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex; Col. 6A: Puer = boy, blank; Col. 6B: Puella = girl, checked
Col. 7: Thori = literally "bed"; leg(itimi) = legitimate
Under these columns is the notation: Obst(etrix) Cathar(ina) Socha = The midwife (was) Katarzyna Socha
Col. 8: Parentes = Parents
Col. 8A: Patris ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = the first and last name of the father and the names of his parents and his state of life/occupation: Joannes Cichon, agr(icola) ex Stanislao et Catharina Stec = Jan Cichon, a farmer, (born) from Stanislaw and Katarzyna nee Stec.
Col. 8B: Matris ac parentum nomen cognomen et conditio = the name of the mother and of her parents and their state of life/occupation: Maria ex Josepho Podraza e(t) Thecla Lamucha
Col. 9: Patrini = Sponsors; eorum = (and) their
Col. 9A: Nomen et cognomen = First and last name: Andreas Kizior = Andrzej Kizior
Cathar(ina) uxor Clementii Socha = Katarzyna, the wife of Klemens Socha
Col. 9B: Conditio: State of life/occupation: Andrzej: famul(us) = a servant
Katarzyna: obstetrix loci = a midwife of (this) place
Final entry: Baptizavit Thomas Turza, curatus loci = Tomasz Turza, the curate of the place, baptized (her).

Note that Katarzyna Socha was the midwife who assisted at Wiktoria's birth and then she also was her female sponsor (Godmother).
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:06 pm      Post subject:

Joann,

Here is the translation of the 1877 birth & baptism record of your great grandmother Wiktoria's first cousin Jozef Socha.

Col. 1: Number in series: 4
Col. 2: 1877 Dies et Mensis = 1877 Day and Month; Februarius = February
Col. 2A: Of Birth: 15
Col. 2B: Of Baptism: 18
Col. 3: House Number: 42
Col. 4: Person Baptized: Josephus = Jozef Notation +15/4/1940 = Died on April 15, 1940
Col. 5A: Religion: Catholic, checked; Col. 5B,Non-Catholic, blank
Col. 6A: Boy, checked; Col. 6B: girl, blank
Col. 7: Bed: Legitimate
Notation under these columns: Obst(etrix) Cathar(ina) Socha = Midwife was KatarzynaSocha
Col. 8A: Father, etc.: Mathias Socha, hort(ulanus), f(iliius) Martini et Mariae Labaj = Maciej Socha, a gardener (with the same meaning as in earlier records), the son of Marcin and Maria nee Labaj
Col. 8B: Mother, etc: Thecla, f(ilia) Stanislai Cichon, hort(ulanus) et Cathar(ina) Stec = Tekla, the daughter of Stanislaw Cichon and Katarzyna nee Stec
Col. 9A & 9B: Sponsors, etc.: Josephus Podraza Hort(ulanus) et Cathar(ina) uxor Stanislai Cichon, Hort(ulanus) = The sponsors (were) Jozef Podraza, a gardener and Katarzyna, the wife of Stanislaw Cichon, a gardener.
Final entry: Baptisavi Ego Marcellinus Narcissus Klimkiewicz, Coop. loci = I, Marcellinus Narcissus Klimkiewicz, an assistant priest of the place, baptized (him).

Joann,

What may be a helpful bit of information to direct further research is that both of Jan Cichon's parents, Stanislaw and Katarzyna, were alive in 1877 when Katarzyna was the Godmother of her grandson Jozef Socha.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 pm      Post subject:

Joann,

Here is the translation of the 1880 Birth & Baptism record of Anna Cichon.

Col. 1: Number in series: 7
Col. 2; 1880 Day & Month: Majus = May
Col. 2A: Of Birth: 13
Col. 2B: Of Baptism: 16
Col. 3: House Number: 104
Col. 4: Person Baptized: Anna with Notation: +29/10/(1)881 = Died on October 29, 1881
Col. 5A: Catholic, checked; 5B, blank
Col. 6A: boy, blank, 6B: girl, checked
Notation under these columns: Obst(etrix) Catharina Socha = Midwife was Katarzyna Socha
Col. 8A: Father, etc.: Joannes, filius Stanislai Cichon et Catharinae a(atae) Stec = Jan, the son of Stanislaw Cichon and Katarzyna born Stec
Col. 8B: Mother, etc.: Maria fil(ia) Josephi Podraza et Catharinae n(atae) Lanocha = Maria, the daughter of Jozef Podraza and Katarzyna born Lanocha
Col. 9A & 9B: Sponsors etc.: Joannes Rys caelebs = Jan Rys, a bachelor
Anna ux(or) Josephi Podraza agr(icola) = Anna, the wife of Jozef Podraza, a farmer (again in the same sense as in earlier records).
Final Notation: Bapt(izavi) Ego A Walepa, coop. loci = I, A. Walepa, an assistant priest of the place, baptized (her).
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm      Post subject:

Joann,

Here is the translation of the 1880 birth and baptism of your great grandmother Wiktoria's first cousin Stanislaw Cichon.

Col. 1: No. in series = 5
Col. 2: 1880 Day and Month: Aprilis = April
Col. 2A: Of birth: 6
Col. 2B: Of Baptism: 7
Col. 3: House #43
Col. 4: Person Baptized: Stanislaw
Col. 5A: Catholic, checked; 5B, blank
Col. 6A: Boy, checked; 6B: girl, blank
Notation under these columns: Obst(etrix) Maria Gloska = The midwife was Maria Gloska
Col. 8A: Father, etc.: Jacobus Cichon, fil(ius) Stanislai et Catharinae n(atae) Stec = Jakub Cichon, the son of Stanislaw and Katarzyna born Stec
Col. 8B: Mother etc.: Agatha Lanucha fil(ia) Joannis et Theclae Kuciemba agr(icolae) = Agata Lanucha, the daughter of Jan and Tekla nee Kuciemba, farmers
Col. 9A & 9B: Sponsors, etc.: Jacobus Dubiel, agr(icola) = Jakub Dubiel, a farmer
Eva Kuciemba, agr(icola) = Ewa Kuciemba, a farmer
Final Entry: Bap(tisavit) Mathias Malas coop. loci = Maciej Malas, an assistant priest of the place, baptized (him).

The translation of the death record will be posted tomorrow.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 8 of 274

Jump to: