PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:11 am      Post subject: In search of Paderewski

There are numerous surnames that I have that may help me, but I will start with what I think will help me the most. Jan Paderewski, b. 1874 in Lubicz Poland d. 1938 in Sacremento Calif.(but primarily lived in Cleveland) and his brother Thomas J. Paderewski b. 1875 ("Russia Poland" is all I have) and d. 1939 in Cleveland Ohio were brought to the United States by older brother Juljan Paderewski. I can find zero proof of whether Juljan stayed in the U.S., or even accompanied them to the United States. I can find No manifest with any of the 3 names on it, but it should be within 1 year of 1877 and I think that finding this Manifest would be very helpfull. There were other siblings as well, but the only one I have a birth location for is Paulina Swiecicka b.1860 in Warszawa, Mazowieckie, Poland. There parents are Maciej Paderewski and Dorota Pomiechowska. That is the back genealogy. What I am looking for are potential children or relation to children of Juljan Paderewski(Don't know wifes name). I have no dates or locations, aside from that I am most certain that they never left Poland. His children are named Branislaw, Cecylja, Emiljo, Janina, Luctnia, Rigina, and Stansilaw Paderewski. They are most certainly all deceased by now, so I am looking for any relation to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if its just a clue or an idea on how to find them.
davepio
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 126

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:13 pm      Post subject:

Heath

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:11 am      Post subject:

That is awesome! Thank you so much, that will be the first information that I have for either of them aside from the names. Though I cant read Polish, the dates would appear to make sense and would give me something more to look into for sure. I will attempt to translate it first, but may have to ask for help! Thanks again!
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 am      Post subject: In search of Paderewski

Heath,

I would imagine that you know of the famous Polish Patriot, world-famous Pianist & Composer, Statesman and Politician "Ignacy Jan Padereweski". He was born 6 Nov. 1860 and died in 1941. The reason that I mention him is because he lived the Paso Robles area of California at one time. Paso Robles is 262 miles south of Sacramento, California.
You state you have a Jan Paderewski who was born in 1874 and died in 1938. I do not know how prevalent the Paderewski name is in Poland, but I do find it a slight co-incidence that these 2 men were born in a relatively close time period and both at some point happened to be in a general area in central California at one time. Perhaps it means nothing at all, but it may be worth filing this information. One could possibly be a cousin or even an Uncle to the other.

The Polish Music Center at the University of California in Los Angeles presents a Paderewski Festival in Paso Robles, California each year. The last festival was November 7-10, 2013. Further information can be obtained at: www.paderewskifest.com Mr. Marek Zebrowski is very involved with this festival.
This Polish Music Center is dedicated to promoting Polish music. They have a Library and Publishing center with a large variety of books and information about various Polish musicians.
Their website is: http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/

I had "googled" : 'Paderewski' and came up with a Susan M. Paderewski 55-59years old who lives in San Diego, California.

Good Luck with your search,
MaryAnne
Heath

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 am      Post subject:

MaryAnne, I most certainly know of Ignacy/Ignace! In fact, I was using him as a tool to find out as much information that I can, which unfortunately yields little information. Though his life was in the spotlight, his family life appears to have been nothing of the sort. Another post about him in the Music section here is what brought me to this page from a search result of his name! I am related to Ignace as follows. The Maciej above is brothers with Jan j Jelita, who is Ignaces father, making Maciej, Ignaces Uncle. Maciej and Jan J Jelita share father Josephat Paderewski. Jan "John" and Thomas were then first cousins to Ignace. There siblings include Juljan, Brenclawa Lissowska, Maria Nowakowska, Salomea Radwanska, Paulina Swiecicka, and Antonina Strzeszewski. I have paper letters that speak of Juljan bringing Jan"John" and Thomas to the United States at ages 12 and 10 in order to avoid the Russian draft/War. I have censuses for both of them from 1900 until 1930, all of which coincide with the dates and which puts them immigrating @1887, but cant find any manifests, which is very frustrating. Jan"John" is my great great grandfather. I have it down to maybe 1 or 2 possibilities of people with direct lineage to Ignace with the Paderewski surname left in the U.S. However, I don't know anything about Juljan, aside from his childrens names listed in my first post, which to my knowledge were all in Poland. Thus, my reasoning for targeting them to try to see how many "Paderewskis" surnames related to Ignace are still around. Back to Ignaces life, I can find no information about Ignaces only child, "Alfred" who was an "Invalid" and died at the age of 11 or 21, I forget off hand, but I guess there probably isn't much to learn. I am also seeking where Ignaces sister, Antonina Wilkonska is buried. I have her death location as Lodi New Jersey on 6 Oct 1941, but no mention of where she is buried, whether in the US or in Poland. Also, I can not find her husbands name anywhere and am only aware of 1 child from her, Florian. In my searches, I have also seen the possibility that Ignace may have had a full brother, but only "N Paderewski" is the information that I have, and I am not sure that. I also have little info for his half sibllings, Maria, Stanislaw, and Josef. I really appreciate the willingness of people to take the time to help!
janem227

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:48 am      Post subject: Grandparents knew Paderewski in Cleveland area

My grandparents (Gomolka or Gomulka and Krzak) came from Mokra Weis and Dlugleka areas to Cleveland and I remember them having friends by the name of Paderewski. My grandparents arrived in Cleveland by 1914, at which time a very large Polish immigrant population settled around St. Hyacynth (my family) and St. Stanislaus parishes. Those who were able later moved to other areas in the Cleveland suburbs with S.S. Peter and & Paul Parish in Garfield Heights being a significant Polish-Catholic church to the extent that the soon to be Pope JP II stayed there for a few days in 1969 while still a Polish cardinal.

It may be that the Paderewskis I remember were active in the Holy Name Society and Knights of Columbus. I believe the parents (my grandparents' age range- born 1893 & 1897) and son (my father's age - born 1918) would have lived either in Garfield Heights or the SE part of Cleveland that is immediately adjacent to GH and was part of the S.S. Peter & Paul parish. This area would be bordered by Turney and Warner Roads if I remember correctly. (I left Cleveland over 30 years ago) All my grandparents' friends were from the "old country".

Calvary Cemetery is where most from the parish were buried. I think it's actually in Cleveland, but at GH border.

I don't know why, but something is rattling in the back of my brain that there may have been Paderewskis in my grandparents' wedding party of which I have a picture. The name John is also rattling around as possibly the name of the son.

I used to love helping my mother address the 100+ Christmas cards sent every year and my father with various Holy Name mailings (he was president and other offices many times at S.S. Peter & Paul through the years) so there may still be some small memory of names from 50 years ago.

I hope something here may help. Please let me know as maybe your info could then help me sort through the history in Poland.

Jane
Heath

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 am      Post subject:

Jane, this very well could be a connection. Thomas J Paderewski was in Cleveland for a while, then Denver from 1900-1904, and then moved back and lived in Garfield Heights until he died, he is buried in Crown Hill cemetery in Twinsburg. His son, Emil was also in Garfield for much of his life, but am currently unable to locate which cemetery he is at. Calvary Cemetary is definately a predominant one of that time period in this area. Jan "John" T was in the Cleveland area until 1920, then moved to California until he died. I looked briefly at Censuses of them to just see if by chance they were neighbors of a Gomolka or Krzak, but didn't see anything. Id be happy to help in any way that I can, do you have any more specific questions or clues that you would want me to look up or check into? My mom has a lot of old photo albums that have been passed down, and I may have pictures to. I know there is a lot of pictures of people that I do not know or are not related, some labeled, some not of course. I will ask her and see if it rings a bell at all.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 am      Post subject:

Heath,

A possible source of information about Ignacy Paderewski is the Polish Museum of America (associated with the Polish Roman Catholic Union of America) in Chicago. The museum has a large collection of Paderewski memorabilia especially from the hotel room where he died. The archives associated with the museum contain both memorabilia and correspondence from Ignacy. Perhaps the correspondence may provide clues for your research. The address of the museum is 948 N. Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60642. The phone number is 773-384-3352 and the web site is www.polishmuseumofamerica.org
When I was in high school in the 60s I visited the museum while doing research for a term paper and remember seeing the Paderewski collection but never did any research about him in the archives.

Dave
Heath

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:59 am      Post subject:

Dave, thank you very much! I was aware of his hotel room contents and memorabilia, but never really thought of Correspondence. You are absolutely right, I will have to investigate that more and perhaps make a trip sooner then later now!
Marilyn Nelson

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:38 pm      Post subject: Paderewski - Radwanska

Heath,
I notice in the 7 Jan 2014 post under "In search of Paderewski" you mentioned a Salomea Radwanska. Does anyone have any other information about the Radwanska name. My ggm's maiden name was Radronska or Radwonska.
Heath

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 am      Post subject: Re: Paderewski - Radwanska

Marilyn Nelson wrote:
Heath,
I notice in the 7 Jan 2014 post under "In search of Paderewski" you mentioned a Salomea Radwanska. Does anyone have any other information about the Radwanska name. My ggm's maiden name was Radronska or Radwonska.

Marilyn, I wish I could help you more, but I am actually searching for more information myself. Here is what I do know, which isn't much. Salomea (nee Paderewski/a) Radwanska's parents were Maciej Paderewski and Dorota Pomiechowska. All the of them in Poland. Salomea was born @1860-1880. Her husband might be the most helpful for you, but unfortunately I do not know who that is either. But I do have 2 children listed for her, Janina Radwani and Maria Radwani. That is unfortunately All of the information that I have. I would love to have or find more myself, so if you might have anything that may help, please let me know. The information that I do have is not from my research, but from my great great grandfathers brother, Pat(Clarence) Paderewski, who was an essential part to starting the Paderewski family tree. The name shortening from Radwanska to Radwani, to me, suggests that perhaps that generation came to the U.S. but I have found no proof of that as of yet, so it has me rather puzzled. Pat also noted which branches were in the U.S. at that time period, and hers not being one of them. So if anyone else might know or have an idea why that name shortened, that may too provide a clue.
Marilyn Nelson

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:19 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for your quick reply. I will do some more searching about my Polish roots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: