PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:53 pm      Post subject:

The first three translation posts will be of Beth's records from the parish of Gluchowo. Here is the birth & baptism record of Piotr Nyk alias Nyczak.

In Margin: Jarogniewice 7 Julij 1792
Text: Petrus infans filius Laboriosorum Laurentij Nyk Cmathonis et Barbarae Legitimorum Conjug. Cath. fuit baptisatus per me Heronymum etc. Patrini de Sacro fonte levantes fuere Laboriosus Bernardus Opilio et Helena Chalupinska omnes de Jarogniewice.

Translation: Piotr, the infant son of the legal Catholic marriage of the industrious Wawrzyniec Nyk, Cmetho (i.e. a self-sustaining peasant farmer) and Barbara, was baptized by me, Heronim etc. The sponsors carrying (him) from the holy font were the industrious Bernard, a shepherd, and Helena Chalupinska, all from Jarogniewice.

All three of the posted records contain terms which specify the social and economic status of individuals in the records. I will explain these terms all at once after the translation of the third record.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:21 pm      Post subject:

Here is the translation of the birth/baptism record of Agata, the daughter of Wojciech.

In Margin: Jarogniewice die 5 Februarii a(nno) c(urrente) (#)29
Text: Agatha infans filia Laboriosorum Adalberti Coloni vulgo Chalupnik et Agnes leg(iti)mor(um) Conjugu(m) Cathol. fuit baptisata per me qui supra etc. Patrini de fonte levantes fuere Joannis Skorzec et Hedvigis Kaminska ambo de Jarogniewice.

Translation:
In Margin: Jarogniewice, the 5th of February in the current year (#)29
Text: Agata, the infant daughter of the legal Catholic marriage of the industrious Wojciech, a cottager, commonly (called in the vernacular, i.e. Polish) "Chalupnik" and Agnieszka, was baptized by me as above, etc. The sponsors lifting her up from the font were Jan Skorzec and Jadwiga Kaminska, both from Jarogniewice.

Although authorities state that the majority of Polish Christians had surnames by the 1700s there were certainly plenty of exceptions to that general statement and in some areas surnames remained rather fluid into the early 1800s. Here is an example of someone (Wojciech) with no surname. He is distinguished by a reference to his socioeconomic status.

Dave

Last edited by dnowicki on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:40 pm      Post subject:

Here is the translation of the marriage of Piotr & Agata.

In Margin: Jarogniewice 24 Novembris 1816 N. 17
Text: Ego Petrus Zalinski Curatus Gluchov. benedixi matrimonium inter Neosponsos Honestum Petrum Nyczak famulum aurigam de Aula Jarogniewicensi Juvenem et Honestam Agatam Woycieszanaka, famulam de eadem Aula virginem. Praemissis 3bus Bannis in Ecclesia Gluchoviensi coram populo ad Sacra facienda congregato publicatis Dom. 22 p(ost) Pent.: die 3 9bris; Dom. 23 die 10ma 9bris; Dom. 24 die 17 Novembris, Nullo detecto impedimento canonico. Testes contracti hujus in facie Ecclesiae Matrimonii fuerunt Joannes Ostanty cum Consorte sua Marianna, Matheus Wozniak cum consorte sua Marianna, Turgurini de Jarogniewice, Andreas Trackowicz opilio de Donatowo cum consorte sua Francisca, Stanislaus Madalinski Caupo de Mikoszki cum consorte sua Marianna, ac alii multi utriusque sexus die dominico pro S(acr)a devotione co(n)gregati. Sponsus annorum 23. Sponsa 23 etiam.

Translation:
In Margin: Jarogniewice, November 24, 1816 #17
Text: I, Piotr Zalinski, curate of Gluchowo, blessed the marriage between the newlyweds, the upright single young man Piotr Nyczak, a worker, a driver, from the palace (i.e. the manor) of Jarogniewice, and the upright maiden Agata Woycieszanka (i.e. the daughter of Wojciech), a servant from the same palace (i.e. manor) after the three banns had been announced beforehand in the Church of Gluchowo in the presence of the people gathered for the celebration of the Sacred Rites. The publication (of the banns was) on the 22nd Sunday after Pentecost, the 3rd of November; the 23rd (Sunday after Pentecost), the 10th of November; the 24th (Sunday after Pentecost), the 17th of November, and no canonical impediment was detected. The witnesses of this marriage contracted in the presence of the congregation were Jan Ostanty with his consort Maryanna, Maciej Wozniak with his consort Maryanna, inhabitants of Jarogniewice, Andrzej Trackowicz, a shepherd from Donatiwo, with his consort Franciszka, Stanislaw Madalinski, the innkeeper from Mikoszki with his consort Maryanna, and many others of both sexes gathered for their devotions on the Lord's Day. The groom (was) 23 years (of age); The bride was also 23.

In this record the bride's "surname" simply indicates that she is the daughter of Wojciech and is probably one of those surnames still in flux.

A significant aspect of this record is found in the listing of the witnesses. Canon (Church) Law required that a marriage between two baptized Catholics had to be solemnized in the presence of three witnesses---the priest ex officio was one witness and the custom, but not the law, of the time was that the other two "official" witnesses listed in a marriage record were two males. In this case the priest lists more than the two required witnesses by name---and 50% of the named witnesses were female. Since this record is from the German Partition, a copy of the ecclesiastic marriage register was submitted to the state to serve as a civil marriage record. In many ways this record is a product of the time in which it was composed---a time of transition. From 1807 until the defeat and exile of Napoleon this area was part of the Duchy of Warsaw which required that civil records be kept in the so called Napoleonic long paragraph format (the format used in the Congress Kingdom of Poland/Russian Poland for the remainder of the century). The area had recently been placed under German control where after about 1820 the civil transcripts were kept in the columnar format. Here we have a record from the era of transition from the paragraph format to the columnar format.
It is important to note that the witnesses in this record were not functioning in the same way as the witnesses did in the Russian Partition. Here their function was to hear and witness the consent expressed by the bride and groom. In the records from Russian Poland, the function of the witnesses listed early in the text of a record was to attest to the accuracy of the testimony given by the informant. Although the witnesses functioned in a different manner in each partition, it is still significant that women are listed in this record as official witnesses.

The comments about words used to describe the status of individuals in these three records will follow shortly in a separate post.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:13 pm      Post subject:

Not all peasants were equal in social and economic status. The attached list was prepared as a handout for a presentation given to several local genealogical societies to help clarify the social and economic status of Polish peasants as they appear in 18th and 19th century records. The top level peasant was the cmetho (also sometimes appears as "cmeto") who often employed other peasants as helpers on his farm. The bottom level peasants owned no real property and depended on others for lodging and employment. The attached list is posted as a PDF document.

Dave

Vocabulary Distinguishing Non-nobles.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Vocabulary Distinguishing Non-nobles.pdf
 Filesize:  10.24 KB
 Downloaded:  759 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:17 pm      Post subject:

EANWhitson,

If I were to give a grade for what you transcribed from the difficult to read poor copy you would definitely get an A+ for effort. The Latin not so much, but all in all, not bad.
I'll take your word for the name of the village. Here it is.

Text: 1787 Villa Prysmy

Anno et die ut supra Idem baptisavi infantem nomine Mariannam Petri et Brigidae Zapsikow legit. conjugum filia. Patrini fuere honestus Joannes Chycewski et Catharina Zarwadaka.

Translation: 1787 Village of Prysmy
In the year and on the day as above I the same (as above) baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna, the daughter of the legal marriage of Piotr and Brygida Zapisek. The sponsors were the upright Jan Chycewski(?) and Katarzyna Zarwadaka(?).

Zapiskow is the Genitive Plural in Polish for the surname Zapisek. If you get a chance to look at today's post about the classes of Polish peasants, it may help you figure out words like "honestus" in future records.

Congratulations on your effort.

Dave
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:36 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave! A few records for you. And one - I'm not sure what it is. I'm also not sure if it is a Zapisek. If it is not, please do not worry about translating it at all.

And, of course, there is a record I found that copied worse than the other one the other day. You will have to forgive my horrible Latin once again, but I had to try to copy it by hand. Hope you can read this.

1783 Villa Przyimy
Anno et anya die 26 ghis. Wem baptisem Infantem Namina Catherine Lit.Petri and Brigida Zapiskow legitti congu. filia. Patrini firene lit Petra Andrewper et de Poremba et Marianna Wjowata de villa Przminy.

(Sorry for killing your beloved Latin).

Zapisek, Catherine 1805 death d o Piotr.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.55 KB
 Viewed:  9251 Time(s)

Zapisek, Catherine 1805 death d o Piotr.jpg

Zapisek, possibly, Anna year unknown..jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.81 KB

Zapisek, possibly, Anna year unknown..jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:01 am      Post subject:

Thanks for the copy of Catherine's birth. Actually it was helpful. I'll post it here so I can look at it in the same screen and do the translation.

zapisek_catherine_birth_1783_d_o_piotr_190.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.16 KB

zapisek_catherine_birth_1783_d_o_piotr_190.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:39 am      Post subject:

The important information is legible but I can't make out the info about the sponsors. Here is the record.
Text:
Anno ut supra die 27 9bris Idem ut supra baptizavi infantem nomine Catharina laboriosorum Petri et Brigidae Zapiskow legit. conjug. filia. Patrini fuere laboriosus......(can't read the rest.)

Translation:
In the year as above on the 27th of November, I, the same as above, baptized an infant by the name of Katarzyna, the daughter of the legal marriage of the industrious Piotr and Brygida Zapisek. The sponsors were the industrious.....rest is illegible.

You transcribed the date as 26 but I read it as 27. One of the things that was helpful in seeing the record was that it confirmed what I suspected. I thought that the transcribed "ghis" was actually 9bris. Often in such records a sort of shorthand was employed using an Arabic numeral with the Genitive Singular ending of the Latin name of the month. In this case the month in written form would be Novembris. The months from September through December in English as well as in Latin are simply numerical adjectives. The Latin numbers are septem (seven), octo (eight), novo (nine) and decem (ten) so combining the Arabic numeral with the Latin ending was a handy sort of shorthand. Of course the numbers of these months do not correspond to their place in the calendar since September is actually the ninth month of the year and not the seventh. The reason the names are out of sync with their position is that two months were added to the Roman calendar during the early days of the Empire in honor of Julius Caesar (July) and Caesar Augustus (August). These months were inserted after the months named for gods and goddesses without changing the numerical value of the remaining months. And that sort of knowledge and a dime would get you a transfer on any bus in Chicago in the days when you could always get a transfer for a dime.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:41 am      Post subject:

The Death & Burial of Katarzyna Zapisek

Text:
Anno ut supra die 31 Julii heri hora 9na mane obiit H. Catharina Zapiszkowna virgo filia olim mortuorum HH Petri et Brigittae Zapiszkow operariorum annorum 23 absq. Sacramentis na konwulsje in Caemeterio sepulta est.

Translation: In the year as above on the 31st day of July the upright Katarzyna Zapiszek (Zapiszkowna = single female Zapiszek), a maiden, once the daughter of the late upright workers Piotr and Brygida Zapiszek, at 23 years of age, died of convulsions yesterday at the ninth hour in the morning, (strengthened by) the Sacraments, (and) was buried in the (parish) cemetery (on July 31).
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:16 am      Post subject:

Death of Anna nee Zapiszek Szydliska(?)

Text:
Anno ut supra die 24 Aprilis /in meridiem/ obiit heri hora 7ma mane H. Anna de Zapiszkow Szydliska an. 24 uxor Joannis Szydlik in domo Joannis Zapiszek Numero 2 na ciezkosc piersi Sacramentis munita in Caemeterio sepulta est Testes Michael ?aptila an. 51 et Martinus Stopka an. 34.

Translation:
In the year as above on the 24th day of April (at noon) the upright Anna nee Zapiszek Szydlik, 24 years of age, the wife of Jan Szydlik, (who) died yesterday of heaviness of the chest at the seventh hour in the morning in the house of Jan Zapiszek (house) number 2, after being strengthened by the Sacraments, was buried in the (parish) cemetery (on April 24 at noon). The witnesses (were) Michal ?aptila, age 51 and Marcin Stopka, age 34.

In these two death records the cause of death is listed in Polish rather than in Latin. In the first record, "convulsions" could be the result of a number of medical problems. In the second record it is hard to say what disease caused the symptoms described as "heaviness of the chest."

Dave
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:08 pm      Post subject:

Thanks, Dave. I love how just a word or two gives more information on people. This is the first time I've ever gotten something like the cause of death, and here it is on two records!

This also helps me with pinpointing the death dates of Piotr and Brigid. The records I'm going through are basically just a register, however, interspersed are some actual records. Before I had that the parents were dead before 1823 (birth of an out of wedlock grandchild). This shortens the period to look by almost 20 years, so that really helps.

It also helps to know the "shorthand" of the language too. Now, when I see that, I'll have an idea of what it is.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:29 am      Post subject:

EANWhitson,
You are very welcome. One of the characteristics of "beloved" Latin is economy. Due to the linguistic structure of the language a few words in Latin can contain information which English would need an entire clause to express. The cause of death information in death/burial records is found more frequently and in more detail in records from the later portion of the 19th Century. Such information is regularly found in the Latin civil transcripts from the German and the Austrian Partitions but is much more rare in the Polish and Russian transcripts from the Russian Partition. It seems that such information was sought/required by the civil authorities in the German and Austrian Partitions but not in the Russian Partition. Latin ecclesiastical records exist from the Russian Partition and, like the two death records you posted, sometimes do contain cause of death info. But films of the ecclesiastical records from the Russian Partition are not as common as those from the German Partition.
A comment about the name Brygida...It is obviously a name frequently found in Ireland and among individuals of Irish descent and is certainly not common in Poland. However, I've seen it on a number of occasions in records from the mid to the late 1700s. Since my experience of that name comes primarily from researching my own ancestors from the Russian Partition, (One several greats grand aunt was Brygida and there were a number of other girls in the parish of Przedecz who had that name.) it is not possible to draw conclusions about the frequency of the name in 18th Century Poland. But is interesting to consider how first name usage varied by time and by location.

Finally, another Latin "shorthand" hint....Sometimes, although much less frequently, Roman numerals were used in place of Arabic numerals in the month shorthand. Sometimes September appears as VIIbris, October as VIIIbris, November as IXbris and December as Xbris. Also, shorthand for days is expressed using ordinal rather than cardinal numbers. For example, a date like February 8 would appear in Latin shorthand as (die) 8a (or 8va) Februarii. The full Latin would be die octava Februarii which is litterally "on the eighth day of February. So if you see a numeral followed by "a" or "va" you are dealing with a day of a month.

Dave
ematlosz

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 pm      Post subject:

Dave,
Please translate the attached death records. Thank you.
Beth

Death Wawrzyniec Nyk-Nyczak.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.46 KB
 Viewed:  9250 Time(s)

Death Wawrzyniec Nyk-Nyczak.jpg

Death Maryanna Kuligowska 1818.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.19 KB
 Viewed:  9250 Time(s)

Death  Maryanna Kuligowska 1818.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm      Post subject:

Death Maryanna Kuligowska

In Margin: Bieczyny 1818 dies 3 Januarii
Text: Obiit infans nomine Marianna die prima Januarii hora 11 de nocte filia Thomae Kuligowski operarii et Franciscae, aetatis 5 annorum et 3/4 febri rubra szkarlatowa. Sepulta in Caemeterio Ecclesiae Gluchoviensis.
Translation:
In Margin: Bieczyny, the third day of January, 1818
Text: An infant by the name of Maryanna, the daughter of the worker Tomasz Kuligowski and Franciszka, of the age of 5 and 3/4 years, died on the first day of January at the 11th hour at night of scarlet fever, "szkarlatowa". She was buried (on January 3) in the cemetery of the Church of Gluchowo.

In this record the priest records the cause of death (scarlet fever) in Latin and then repeats the name in Polish.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:34 pm      Post subject:

Death of Wawrzyniec Nyk and of Malgorzata Nyk

Page Heading: Millesimus Octingentesimus Sextus. Jarogniewice

Translation: The One Thousand Eight Hundred Sixth (Year). Jarogniewice

#7. 1806 vigesima octava Aprilis. Jarogniewice. 2

Translation: April 28th, 1806. Jarognievice. (House #) 2

Text: Laurentius Nyk Cmetho Sacramentis moribundorum munitus mortuus aetatis suae circiter 50 vigesima quinta hujus; sepultus ad Aquilonem.

Translation: Wawrzyniec Nyk, a self-sustaining peasant farmer, after he had been strengthened by the Sacraments of those about to die, died at about the age of 50 on the twenty fifth of this (month) (and) was buried (on April 28) towards the north.

#8. 1806 vigesima quarta Junij. Jarogniewice. 2

Translation: #8. June twenty fourth, 1806. Jarogniewice. (House #)2

Text: Margaretha filia defuncti Laurentii Nyk et Barbarae legitimorum Conjugum Catholicorum mortua aetatis suae 7 vigesima prima hujus; sepulta ad Aquilonem.

Translation: Malgorzata, the daughter of the legitimate Catholic marriage of the late Wawrzynice Nyk and Barbara, died on the twenty-first of this (month) at age 7; she was buried (on June 24) towards the North.

"To the North" in these two records means in the northern section of the parish cemetery. "The Sacraments of those about to die" referred to the "Last Rites", i.e. the Sacraments of Confession, Viaticum, and Extreme Unction (Anointing of the Sick).

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 24 of 274

Jump to: