PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Author

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:04 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
Please translate this death record from Osobnica at your convenience. It is number 42 and the last name is Maczuga. Thanks very much.
Beth

P1070415.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  7934 Time(s)

P1070415.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2780

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:30 pm      Post subject:

Beth,

Here is the translation of the death record of Jan Maczuga. It is a straightforward Latin record with one minor variation---the cause of death is given in Polish rather than in Latin. These days tetanus can be avoided through vaccination and is not as deadly as it once was. Hope you find the info useful and valuable.

Dave

Jan Maczuga Death Translation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  397.88 KB
 Viewed:  7935 Time(s)

Jan Maczuga Death Translation.jpg

starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:57 am      Post subject:

Hello Dave,

I was wondering if you could translate a birth for me. After tracing the Rzeszotarski name to birth certificates in Gradzanowo(more specifically Bojanowo)1878 and 1879, it said Salomea was unmarried for both births. However, the same man, Felician Sementkowski was witness to both. Someone had said it was possible that he was the father. On google maps I found Ratowo, Gradzanowo, and Bojanowo, and they were all very close. Also very close area's like Rzeszotary-Pszczele and Siemiątkowo-Rogale. Was it common for area to be designated after landowners in the 18th and early 19th century? Anyways, I think Sementkowski is Siemiątkowski. That's when I noticed many Rzeszotarski and Siemiątkowski births, marriages and deaths in Rościszewo. It's also within 10-20 miles I'd say. One family in particular had several birth scans for Wojciech Rzeszotarski and Franciszka Siemiątkowski from 1788-1808. The scan from 1808 for Jon seems too big to download, but the link is

http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/50/391/0/-/1/skan/full/qM7eXetx3fCZ0hnAzNodVw

It's #56 and is the last entry on the page. It seems Rzeszotarski goes back to the 1690's in Rościszewo, along with Siemiątkowski.

http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=B&from_date=&to_date=1700&search_lastname=rzeszotarski&search_lastname2=&rpp1=400&bdm=B&w=07mz&op=gt&lang=pol

Might be a wild goose chase but I think this is the where they came from.

Thanks
John
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:29 pm      Post subject:

Hi John,

The record you posted for Jan Rzeszotarski is in Polish not Latin so please post it in the Polish records translation section of the forum and ask Elzbieta for a complete translation. Until she has time to translate the document here are the important pieces of information.
The father is Wojciech Rzeszotarski, age 34, and the mother is Franciszka Siemiatkowska, age 35. Jan was born on Dec. 21, 1808 in the village of Rzeszotary Chwaly and his birth was recorded on Dec. 26, 1808. The two witnesses were Jakub Rzeszotarski and Franciszek Zawadzki who were both from Rzeszotary Chwaly.

I'm not sure that I get the connection between this record and the birth records of the children of Salomea Rzeszotarska in 1878 and 1879. Is Salomea a grandaughter of Wojciech and Franciszka? It is possible that Felician was the father of the two children but it also possible and perhaps more likely that he was a neighbor, a friend or even a relative of Salomea.

It is certainly possible that the surnames Rzeszotarski and Siemiatkowski are toponyms. In fact that is what Hoffman suggests as the origin of the name Siemiatkowski.

I believe that places were not designated after the landowner in the 18th & 19th centuries. Most place names go back much farther than that and land changed hands any number of times in the course of the centuries. The Slownik geograficzny is no help regarding the name of the landowner for those villages. Sometimes the entry for a given location lists a series of owners through several centuries, but not in this case. Anyway, areas are not usually named after landowners but usually surnames are derived from the names of geographical locations. Anyway, your hypothesis that the two surnames find their origin in the names of the respective villages is probably a good one which is still looking for proof.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dave
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:33 pm      Post subject:

Dave, thanks. I thought that it would be in Latin since it was in 1808. I had previously posted it in the Polish section, but then moved it to here after a few minutes. I'm not sure if Salomea is a granddaughter or not. I can't find any records of her, other than the births, and her daughters marriage in 1899, and in all 3 it says she was unmarried, but nothing else. All records seem to gravitate from Rościszewo, and then Gradzanowo in the 1850's. It probably is a dead end, but thanks for the help.

John
ematlosz

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:25 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave
Thank you for your previous translations. Please translate the baptism record for Elisabelha Marszalek at your convenience. It is another record from Osobnica. Thanks again.
Beth

P1070189.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Viewed:  7933 Time(s)

P1070189.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:47 pm      Post subject:

Beth,

Here is the translation of the birth, baptism (and death) record of Elzbieta Marszalek. There are several items in this record which are worthy of note and deserve a detailed explanation. There are no sponsors/Godparents listed in the appropriate column. Instead a note appears there stating that the child was baptized by the midwife when there was a proximate danger of death. In fact, the baby did die on the same day she was born. The record does not state whether she lived for minutes or hours. Since the danger of death was grave the baby had no sponsors. Canon 743 of the 1917 Code of Canon Law states that pastors are to instruct members of the parish on what needs to be done in regard to baptizing a child who was "in periculo mortis" or "in danger of death." The canon specified that the pastor was especially to instruct midwives and doctors about baptizing. My late mother-in-law was a nurse and part of her nursing training was devoted to how to baptize in an emergency. What would have happened if the baby had lived is that at some point relatively soon the child would have been brought to church where the various ceremonies which usually accompanied the essential part of baptism (i.e. the pouring of water with the appropriate words) would be "supplied". Recently I've seen a statement in a well written guide for genealogy research by a reputable genealogist that a baby who was baptized in danger of death would be brought to church to be baptized a second time. The fact of the matter is that baptism is one of the three sacraments which Catholic teaching says are received once and cannot be repeated because they produce a permanent effect on the person receiving the sacrament. This teaching dates from the early days of Christianity as a response to a practical question. During the times of persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire there were some Christians who renounced their beliefs to avoid persecution. When the persecution eased these individuals wanted to return to the Christian faith and the question was whether they would need to be baptized again. The response was "No" because nothing the individual did could undo their baptism. The solution was penance but not re-baptism. As a side note, the Roman persecution of Christian ebbed and flowed according to what the emperor in power at the time wanted. Pliny the Younger, who was a Roman provincial governor around the year 110 wrote a letter to the emperor describing how he was handling the question of Christians in which he sought the emperor's advice. Unfortunately, only Pliny's letter is extant and not the response (if there was one) from the emperor. As a side, side note, several of the letters of Pliny are interesting from a historical perspective. He was an eyewitness to the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in the year 79 (the eruption which buried and preserved the Roman city of Pompey) and he describes events connected with the eruption in two of his letters---but enough digressing. Here is the translation.

Dave

Translation of Birth of Elzbieta Marszalek.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.81 KB

Translation of Birth of Elzbieta Marszalek.jpg

efc3011

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:50 pm      Post subject: Giorgius Fedyna birth record

I have had this birth record for quite a while and finally figured out that the notation on it is his death. At least I think it is! There are some words above that death date that I would like translated. Also, below the birth record is another notation ending with "25 May 1869"
. I know this isn't a very clear scan. I hope someone can read it!

Thank you very much!

Elaine

Giorgius Fedyna (127) 1869.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  353.76 KB

Giorgius Fedyna (127) 1869.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 pm      Post subject:

Elaine,

The notation which ends 25 Maii 1869 is not connected to the birth record of Jerzy/George Fedyna. It is actually a record of another event which took place on May 25, 1869. All the various entries on the page are separated from one another by horizontal lines which indicates that the entry ending 25 Maii 1869 is a stand alone entry. I do not believe that the notation above his name records his death. It more likely refers to a marriage. Unfortunately the letters written in the notation are too small for me to read and when I tried to zoom in on the record what clarity there is in the post decreased to the point where the writing was less legible. I would suggest that you post the record together with the request for technical advice regarding the possibility of increasing both the size and clarity of the writing. Perhaps someone in this forum can give you technical advice which I cannot.
If you look at the other entries on the page where a date of death is noted the notations all appear below the name of the person baptized and the notations begin with a cross (+) to indicate that the notation is recording a death followed by the date. The entry above Jerzy/George's name is lacking the cross. The birth entries for the village where he was born indicate that not very many births took place there in the first months of 1869. Of the seven entries 2 are for March, 0 are for April, 4 are for May and 1 is for June. Despite the size of the writing and lack of clarity of the image the Latin text is legible for me. The surnames are not so legible because I don't know what they should be and the letters as they appear on the scan have a low grade of legibility. If you learn of a way to zoom in on the text without sacrificing clarity I would be happy to look at the record again with the hope of being able to see what is written in the notation above Jerzy's name.

Anyway, here is a translation of this record.

Dave

Translation of birth & baptism of JerzyGeorge Fedyna 1869.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  451.35 KB

Translation of birth & baptism of JerzyGeorge Fedyna 1869.jpg

dshizak

Replies: 36

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:33 am      Post subject: Thanks to Dave (dnowicki)

Dave,

I wanted to thank you belatedly for answering a question about my aunt's name Ann on a baptism record. You answered my question back on May 13, and I missed it until this morning.

your explanation makes perfect sense.

again thanks !

Dave (dshizak)
efc3011

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:02 am      Post subject: Giorgius Fedyna birth record

Dave,
Thank you so very much for your efforts of my behalf! I managed to zoom in on Giorgius' name and those unknown words and date. Could you please take another look at it?

Elaine

Giorgius Fedyna closeup of name, unknown words and date.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.59 KB
 Viewed:  7935 Time(s)

Giorgius Fedyna closeup of name, unknown words and date.JPG

Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:44 am      Post subject: Re: Giorgius Fedyna birth record

efc3011 wrote:
Dave,
Thank you so very much for your efforts of my behalf! I managed to zoom in on Giorgius' name and those unknown words and date. Could you please take another look at it?

Elaine

Elaine, Dave,

Jumping into conversation. This 2 letters note is in Cyrillic:
виставнено метрику 21/4 93
The Polish equivalent is:
wystawiono metryke 21/4 93

Metric issued 21 April 1893

Best,
Elisabeth
efc3011

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 pm      Post subject:

Elisabeth and Dave,
Thank you for your help with this. But I am still puzzled. This seems to mean that the record was issued 21 April 1893. So what could that be? The marriage record, the death record, or was there a request for this birth record and it was issued in 1893?

Elaine
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:55 pm      Post subject:

efc3011 wrote:
Elisabeth and Dave,
Thank you for your help with this. But I am still puzzled. This seems to mean that the record was issued 21 April 1893. So what could that be? The marriage record, the death record, or was there a request for this birth record and it was issued in 1893?

Elaine

Elaine,

If I understand correctly what Dave wrote you, the original BIRTH record of Jerzy/George Fedyna is from May 1869 (or slightly before).
The extract of this record has been requested and issued 21 April 1893, at that time Jerzy/George Fedyna was 24. He probably needed this extract for his marriage.

Best,
Elzbieta
efc3011

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 pm      Post subject:

OK, great. I understand now.

Many thanks!
Elaine
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 271, 272, 273  Next Page 42 of 273

Jump to: