PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:48 am      Post subject: Help me find Stanislaw Czarnetzki (Czarnecki) from Grudziadz

I am trying to trace my grandfathers origin but have very few details about his life in Poland. His name was Edmund Czarnetzki and I think he was born between 1910 and 1915. He had a brother named Alex and a sister named Vanda. He was married in poland and had a son. Family stories say that he and his brother were in a pow camp during the war but they both escaped, Alex fleeing to Holland and my grandfather to Britain. Here he met and married my grandmother and they had two children. I don't know what happend to the family he left behind in Poland. No searches have thrown up any records, I have tried to change the spelling of the name to Czarnecki and Czarnecka but still nothing. I would like to also find out my grandfathers family history, where did he grow up and who were his parents. Can anyone out there give me any advice on how to do this. I don't know dates of birth or where abouts in Poland the family was from. Was it common practice to change names when arriving in a different country? A little help anyone please, I really am lost with this one.
Karen Hale

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:13 am      Post subject: Help me find Stanislaw Czarnetzki (Czarnecki) from Grudziadz

Looking for my great grandfather Stanislaw. He was thought to live in Grudziadz and was married to a german woman called Melania. He had at least three children that I kinow of, Edmund, Wanda and Alex. I have a picture of him but would like to know more about his and his childrens life.

PLEASE HELP. I really am very new to all this and could do with any advice and help thats going. Does anyone know if there are any records available for the Grudziadz area and how I could access them? Has anyone else managed to trace relatives from that area? Is there anyone out there that could give me any tips at all. It would mean so much to me if someone could give me a little help.

grandad_picture_157.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.15 KB
 Viewed:  12223 Time(s)

grandad_picture_157.jpg

jhzs
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:32 pm      Post subject:

Hello,
There are some documents for Grudziądz available in state archives and in LDS library. It seems that Mormons have Roman-Catholic records for years 1661-1900 (https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog-search-api%3A8080%2Fwww-catalogapi-webservice%2Fitem%2F27041) and Lutheran records for 1660-1919 (https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog-search-api%3A8080%2Fwww-catalogapi-webservice%2Fitem%2F278606). In Poish state archives there are some lutheran records, some Jewish and civil registry records for years 1874-1909 (state archive in Torun) plus much more records that coud be of use but it is hard to tell which record could be of use because you did not provide details like dates of birth or death (even aproximate), religion, etc. Also occupation may help if you know. Anyway, I would start with renting some microfilms from mormons for the right time-frame and religion.
Zbyszek
Karen Hale

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:01 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the Info. Couldn't provide a date of birth or religeon as I have no idea what they are. All I know is that my grandfather was born in 1915 but what year his father was born I do not know. Up untill a few days ago I didn't know any names!I'll check out the links you gave me and thankyou so much for answering me back.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 pm      Post subject:

Karen,

In Nasza Klasa, a polish social network, I have found 2 Czarnecki and about 9 Czarnceka in Grudziadz. However, the surname counts about 35,000 people in Poland, so it is hard to tell if these people are related or not to your ancestors.
Gilberto
Send e-mail
Shellie

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:30 pm      Post subject:

Hi Karen,
I understand your frustration - when I first started my research I was so lost. I think the best place to start is with your own family. You seem to be off to a good start by sharing information you got from your family.

Did you know your grandfather?
Do you know when he died? Can you obtain a death record for him?

Were non-citizens required to apply for citizenship in England? Perhaps there is a paper-trail there?

Have you attempted to obtain the marriage certificate from his marriage to your grandmother?

These few things can be really helpful for finding info in the USA, but I have no experience with sources of information in England.

We can always count on Zbyszek and Gilberto for excellent advice. If you have not yet requested microfilm from the Morman church and need help, I can share my experience with LDS microfilms with you. The LDS has started to put Polish church records on their website - Family Search - but I don't know if Grudziadz images are available there.

By the way, several Czarnecki emigrants entered the US from Blizno - there is a village Blizno near Grudziądz in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship:
https://familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ACzarnecki~%20%2Bresidence_place%3AGrudziadz

Do you know Polish or have any friends who speak/write Polish? That can come in handy if you pursue the lead Gilberto gave you about Nasza Klasa. It is certainly worth a try to contact anyone with the surname Czarnecki in Grudziadz. When I was searching for my family, I wrote to everyone who had my great-grandmother's surname. Two years later I had enough information to show almost all of them were my cousins!!
Shellie
kudz1949

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 pm      Post subject:

Hello Karen.....I have read your post and the name Czarnecki was my fathers name. I am very new to doing this type of stuff but I think they came from Poland and I can't remember their mother or father's name's. My Dad was one of 5 brothers but when they came from the old country into New York, the people working there did not know how to spell all the different polish names so my Dad had his spelled Czarnecki, my one uncle was Cheneski, the other one was Carnecki and etc....
Karen Hale

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:34 am      Post subject:

Thanks all for your help. Shellie I'm going to email you, would love to know more about LDS microfilms. kudz1949, you are so right about different spellings. It makes it very hard to trace people. We spelt our name Czarnetzki which I am told is the German spelling for Czarnecki. I have tried searching every spelling I can think of and still no luck. Just have to keep trying I guess. Anyway I wish you the best of luck with your search.
Shellie

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:15 pm      Post subject:

Hi Karen,

Before you head to your nearest LDS FamilySearch Center, I would try to contact every relative you have and ask them questions. You may learn something very valuable that might help you further determine if your great-grandfather's birthplace is indeed Grudziadz.

Does your father have brothers/sisters? If so, I would spend some time talking with them about what they know about your grandfather. Also, talk with your cousins and your siblings. And don't overlook your grandmother's brothers/sisters. You would be amazed at what one family member will tell you - don't assume that everyone in the family knows or remembers the same information. My father could not tell me much about his father's birth in Poland, but when I told his brother - my uncle - that I was searching for our roots, he sent me a thick envelope with my grandfather's birth record from Poland and his naturalization certificate!!!!! Also, when I finally started talking with my cousins, one gave me some letters sent between my great-grandparents when they were courting!!!! They are now my most treasured pieces of my history.

One major lesson that taught me to look to all of my relatives for information: I spent about 2 years trying to figure out my great-grandfather's birthplace from his Ellis Island ship manifest. When I finally figured it out I called my aunt. When I told her the name of the village, she said yes, that was the name. All that time she new the name of the village, but I never thought to ask her!!!!!

The link below is interesting - it's a place for people to post information about surnames. I can't measure the accuracy of the information, but it's worth a look. Some other spellings of the surname: Czernecki, Czarniecki, Czerniecki, Chernetski
http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/czarnecki
Karen Hale

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 am      Post subject:

Hi Shellie, Thanks for your message and your email. Here are some facts about my grandfather,

Edmund Czarnetzki, born 26/05/1915 Poland. Grudziadz seems to be the right place as my Dad remembers him telling him stories about fishing on the Wisla river and how the river would freeze over in cold winters.
Edmund came to the U.K with the polish army (year unknown) first to Perth, scotland and then was moved to a camp in Nettlebed Oxfordshire. He met my grandmother at a dance there and they married on New years Eve 1948.

He must have got divorced from his first wife (in Poland) sometime just before then. Her name was Bronya and they had two children together, a boy Gerhardt and a girl Eva.

His father was Polish, Stanislaw and his mother was German, Melania. He had a brother Alex and a sister Wanda/ Vanda. Family stories say that Edmund and Alex were in a POW camp together during the war. They escaped together, one was shot and the other had to carry them to safety. Alex went to Arnhem, Holland and was last known to be living with a German lady. My grandfather Edmund did visit him there in1968 with my father.

We know that Edmund had an uncle who was a doctor
Edmund would have got his British naturalization around 1964/1965.
He died 15/05/1984.

Well that seems to be the facts, of course there are lots of stories. But that is out there now incase anyone should happen to come accross it. I'll email you Shellie with other details but don't want to put anything up here thats a maybe, I just want to stick to the facts.
Talk soon
marcin00czarnecki

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:50 am      Post subject:

Hi Gerhardt is my grandfather and i also know aunt Eva who still live in Grudziądz. My grandfather live in Toruń and he want contact with you to more information about family Very Happy
GenGirl

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:26 pm      Post subject: Czarnecka

My 2nd great grandfather, Lorenz Sentowski, was married to Marianna Czarnecka, of Waldowko, on 24 Oct 1839. She died on 29 Dec 1840 in Schwenten, Graudenz, Wp, Germany. This is now Swiete, Grudziadz, Poland. Lorenz married my 2nd great grandmother, Julianna Berent, on 9 Oct 1842 in Schwenten, Graudenz.
Karen Hale

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 am      Post subject:

Hi marcin00czarnecki, I have sent you a private message with my email address. On the message you sent me you gave me your Facebook details and I have also sent you a message there. I hope to hear back from you soon.
bcarnecki

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:28 pm      Post subject:

Hi Karen, my grandfathers name is Adolph Carnecki (wife Celia). He was the son of John and Stanislava Carnecki who emigrated to Connecticut in 1890's to early 1900's and then moved with his family to Hamtramac Mi in the 1920's. He had a brother John and a sister Wanda that I know of for sure with other brothers that I am not sure of their names. If you have any tie at all to these names, could you let me know? Smile Thank you so much. Brian Carnecki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: