PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:13 am      Post subject:

rsowa wrote:

The groom is listed as "Valenty [son of] Joseph Kopyto + Magdalena (something illegible)". It's the words after Magdalena that I can't make sense out of and need help translating.

Richard,

I read it (with a little doubt, F or S?):
Magdalena Foltański

28 names -ski in today Poland
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/folta%25C5%2584ski.html
and 37 -ska
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/folta%25C5%2584ska.html

Best,
Elzbieta
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:57 am      Post subject: For rsowa: Marriage Record

Richard,

As Elzbieta pointed out, the first word after the name Magdalena is her maiden name. The two words which follow are "praepositi oppidi" which lists the occupation of Walenty's father and means "overseer of the town". Of course since Walenty was 60 years old at the time of this marriage, his father was probably deceased but during his lifetime he held a responsible position in the town. Unfortunately, this record does not record Walenty's status/occupation. I'm sure it would be interesting for you to research his social position a bit more to determine the responsibilities of the "town overseer" and that research may tie in with your other post regarding house numbering since he lived in house #1. I remember reading at one time that houses were numbered in relation to the most important building in the village which was usually the church. I'm not sure whether the same was true for towns nor am I sure to which partition that statement referred.

Another word to note which lists status is the word "cives" in reference to the sponsors. The word means "citizens" and seems to have been used in place of "inquilini" and would simply indicate that they were residents or tenants in the town.

Family relationships do get a bit complicated due to marriages. Relationships due to marriage fall under the category of affinity and relationships based on blood are under the category of consanguinity. There were few relationships of affinity which were considered impediments which would render a marriage null---like a widow could not marry her widowed father-in-law---but most degrees of affinity just throw complicated details into a family chart. My maternal grandfather's mother, Jadwiga, is a good example of how marriages complicate the old family chart. Her mother died after giving birth when Jadwiga was four years old. Her father married again to a Tuszynska with whom he had six more children. When Jadwiga married for the first time, she married a reserve soldier who was 18 years her senior and happened to be a younger brother of her stepmother. They had one son, were married for about a year and a half, and her husband died. She then married another reserve soldier who was also 18 years her senior. They were married for 8 years and had several children when she became a widow for the second time. I guess she decided to change her when she married my great grandfather who was three years her junior. I guess the third time was the charm since they had five children together and were married for over forty years when she died. There was no relationship of affinity between Jadwiga and her stepmother's brother but it does seem odd for a young woman to marry her stepmother's brother who was almost twice her age---a different time and a different place. Where the affinity relationship got complicated was between her first husband and her father. Her first husband was her father's brother-in-law and son-in-law at the same time. It makes one wonder whether her third husband outlived her because he lucky or because he just wouldn't eat the mushrooms she picked.

Your previous post about the errors in the dates just goes to prove the accuracy of something the ancient Romans said (which I'm sure predated them): "Errare humanum est" ("To err is human"). It is true today, was true in the 19th Century and 2,000 years ago and from time immemorial.

Dave
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:00 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Dave and Elzbieta!

Those discoveries open a lot of new opportunities for research.

It also starts making more sense, since the Walenty in the above marriage, was the one who gave permission for his 22 year old son to marry a widow in 1849, AND it might have been his father (Joseph Kopyto) who was the official giving consent/permission of the landowner for the marriage to take place.

Thanks again...like Alice in Wonderland... it gets "curiouser and curiouser"
Richard
sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 pm      Post subject: marriage record

Would you please translate this marriage record of my g-g-grandparents?

thanks
Leonore

marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.47 KB
 Viewed:  11271 Time(s)

marriage.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:39 pm      Post subject: For sheep17: 1831 marriage record

Leonore,

Here is the transcription and translation of the 1831 marriage record of Maciej Michlakowicz (or Michalkiewicz) and Franciszka Ziolkowska. Due to the resolution of the image I'm not sure of the ending of the surname of the groom and of the ending of the surname of the bride. There is also one word of the Latin text where I'm unable to decipher the letters but I can give you an educated guess as to what should be the meaning in English. Fortunately, it is not an important word in the record. The name of the judicial entity which gave consent for the marriage to take place (sort of like a modern marriage license) is unusual in the sense that it is quite distant from the village where the marriage took place. (The Latin text spells the name of the Polish village with the letters "em" which correspond to the sound of the Polish letter with the diacritical mark.) The Latin name of the place reads "Strasburg" which is in present day Germany about 475 km. from Jastrzebie. What makes the name plausible is that the area where the marriage took place was in the German Partition and obviously Strasburg was in Germany. Judicial consents regularly appear in marriage records from the Provence of Posen/German Poland/The German Partition but usually the consent comes from a location in close proximity to the location where the marriage took place.

Dave

Latin Text: 10 Jastrzembie 1831 Die 21 Novembris Ego qui supra benedixi matrimonium inter honestos* Mathiam Michalkowicz (or Michalkiewicz) viduum annorum 33 et Franciscam Ziolkowskowna** virginem annorum 23 cum consensu Judicij Strasburgiensi praemissis 3bus bannis tribus (illegible word***) Dominicis populo ad Divina congregato nulloque impedimento canonico detecto astantibus fide dignis testibus**** Francisco Raszkowski de Gorna(?) Joanne Szczepanski Nicolao Kopczewski(?).

Translation: (Marriage #)10; (The Village of) Jastrze(m)bie: On the 21st day of November 1831 I, as (recorded) above, with the consent of the law court of Strasburg, and after the three banns (of marriage) had been announced on three (illegible word***) Sundays to the people gathered for the Divine Rites (i.e. for Sunday Mass) and since no canonical impediment had been detected, blessed the marriage between the upright* Maciej Michalkowicz (or Michalkiewicz), a widower, 33 years of age, and Franciszka Ziolkowska**, a maiden, 23 years of age, in the presence of the trustworthy witnesses****: Franciszek Raszkowski from Gorna(?), (and) Jan Szczepanski, (and) Mikolaj Kopczewski(?)

Notes:
*honestus/upright was an adjective used to designate the social/economic status of the individuals as peasants (usually farmers from a small village)
**The suffix -owna indicates an unmarried woman---the daughter of Ziolkowski. Today she would usually be called simply Ziolkowska.
***The illegible word usually is a word meaning "sequential" or "consecutive".
****astantibus fide digne testibus is the last in a series of Ablative Absolutes which are best translated as dependent clauses in English. The literal translation of these words is "the witnesses worthy of trust standing by" which I decided to translate as "in the presence of the trustworthy witnesses" because that translation is faithful to the Latin but less stilted than a more literal translation.
sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:43 pm      Post subject: Michalkiewicz/Ziolkowska marriage

Thank you, Dave. That was really interesting.

I haven't come across a "judicial consent' in any other marriage records, and I wonder if maybe this time it's because Maciej was a widower. I'll check the other records on those pages because I'm curious to see if there are more in Jastrzebie. The Michalkowicz/Kiewicz (they used both) family was from Jastrzebie - so I'm wondering if maybe Frances was from Brodnica (which was called Strasberg at that time) and that's why the consent had to come from there. I guess I'll know if I find her family in Strasberg/Brodnica. I don't find her in Jastrzebie.

Thanks again for the help, and the explanation. It's great, and maybe will lead back to her family.

Leonore
may28991

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 pm      Post subject: Polish to English Translation Please, LEM 1

Please help me translate as much as the information that you can. There are LEM 1 - LEM 9

Thank you,
Larry Very Happy

LEM 5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  861.93 KB
 Viewed:  11269 Time(s)

LEM 5.jpg

LEM 4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.04 MB

LEM 4.jpg

LEM 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  808.38 KB

LEM 3.jpg

LEM 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  833.77 KB

LEM 2.jpg

LEM 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  874.83 KB

LEM 1.jpg

may28991

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:31 pm      Post subject: Polish to English Translation Please LEM 6 - 9

Please help me translate as much as the information that you can. There are LEM 1 - LEM 9.

Thank you,
Larry Very Happy

LEM 9.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  885.75 KB

LEM 9.jpg

LEM 8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1015.93 KB

LEM 8.jpg

LEM 7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB

LEM 7.jpg

LEM 6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  757.24 KB

LEM 6.jpg

ematlosz

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:53 pm      Post subject:

Larry,

Your records are in Latin. I am sure that if you post them in the Latin Records Translations section of the forum, they will be translated for you.

Beth
ematlosz

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:55 pm      Post subject:

Larry,

These are in Latin too.

Beth
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:58 pm      Post subject: For may28991: LEM 1 151 & LEM 2 123

Larry,

Here is the translation of the marriage of Michael Sepelak & Agatha Brdow.
Image 1: Left side of page 25
Top of page: A(nno) D(omini) 1915 = The Year of Our Lord 1915
Col. 1: No. = Number: 93
Col. 2: The Names of those uniting in marriage: Michael Sepelak (&) Agatha Bzdon
Col. 3: The place of residence or domicile: Blank
Col. 4: The name of the father and (his) place of birth: (Of the Groom) Sebastianus Sepelak = Sebastian Sepelak; (Of the Bride): Casimirus Bzdon = Kazimierz/Casimir Bzdon
Col. 5: The maiden name of the mother and (her) place of birth: (Of the Groom): Maria = Maria/Marie/Mary; (Of the Bride): Maria = Maria/Marie/Mary
Image 2: Right side of page 25
Col. 6: Date of Marriage: 19 Octobris = October 19
Col. 7: Witnesses: Andreas Pietry...ka = Andrew/Andrzej Pietry...ka(?) (&) Catharina C.....cola(?) = Catherine/Katarzyna C....cola(?)
Col. 8: The priest: S. Lazowski
Col. 9: Day & Place of Baptism: (Entry #) 93
Col. 10: Announcements (of the banns), Dispensations, Notations: Blank
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:23 pm      Post subject: For: may28991: Kruk & Leniart Marriage

Larry,

Here is the translation of the Kruk & Leniart Marriage.

Dave

Col. 1: Kruk (&) Leniart
Col. 2: Date of Marriage: 1902, 13 Maii = May 13, 1902
Col. 3: Body of Entry: I, the undersigned, after the three proclamations (of the banns) had been announced and after the mutual consent of those being united had been obtained, joined through words in the present marriage Joseph/Jozef Kruk from Brzezka Wola, the son of Thomas/Tomasz and Rosalie/Rozalia, and Agnes?Agnieszka Leniart from Brzezko Wola, the daughter of Simon/Szymon and Eve/Ewa, in the presence of the witnesses Bartholomew/Bartolomej Hajdasz and Maria/Marie/Mary Janiec.

(Signed): S.P. Lozowski, the pastor
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 pm      Post subject: For may28991: Lem 3 123 Sypelek & Cwikla Marriage

Larry,

Here is the Sypelek & Cwikla marriage. I'll not retype the standard formula which is the same as that in the previous record.

Dave

Col. 1: Sypelek & Cwikla (Sowa had been crossed out)
Col. 2: Date of Marriage: 1902, 29 Julii = July 29, 1902
Col. 3: Body of Entry: I, etc....joined...etc....marriage John/Jan Sypelek from Brzeskawola, Galicia, the son of Sebastian and Maria/Marie/Mary, and Maria/Marie/Mary Cwikla, the daughter of Anna, in the presence of the witnesses Adalbert/Wojciech Wozny(?) and Catherine/Katarzyna Wnuk.

(Signed): S.P. Lozowski, the pastor
may28991

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:04 am      Post subject:

Thank you so much.................David. I hope you will continue?

Happy Thanksgiving,
Larry
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:14 pm      Post subject: For may28991: Lem 6: Bzdon & Gagosz marriage

Larry,

Here is the Bzdon & Gagosz marriage record. Again I'll not retype the translation of the standard formula which is common to this and your remaining posts.

Dave

Col. 1: John/Jan Bzdon and Maria Gagosz
Col. 2: Date of Marriage: 22 Sept. 1908 = September 22, 1908
Col. 3: Body of entry: I,...etc., etc....marriage John/Jan Bzdon from (blank), the son of Simon/Szymon and of Eve/Ewa (nee) Socha, and Maria/Marie/Mary Gagosz from (blank), the daughter of Stephen/Stefan/Szczepan and of Maria/Marie/Mary (nee) Baj, in the presence of the witnesses John/Jan Rudek and Anna Pracon.
(Signed): S. Lozowski
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 56 of 274

Jump to: