PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:27 pm      Post subject: For: may28991, Lem 7: Leniart & Wnuk marriage

Lary,

Here is the Leniart & Wnuk marriage record.

Dave

Col. 1: Leniart (&) Wnuk
Col. 2: Date of Marriage: 1907 10 Junii = June 10, 1907
Col. 3: Body of entry: I, ...etc. ...etc. ...marriage Simeon/Symeon Leniart from Brzyska Wola (Galicia), the son of Andrew/Andrzej and of Marianne/Maryanna, and Agnes/Agnieszka Wnuk from Brzyska Wola (Galicia), the daughter of Andrew/Andrzej and of Margaret/Malgorzata, in the presence of the witnesses (blank)
(Signed): S. Lozowski
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 pm      Post subject: For: may28991, Lem 9: Cwikla-Pacion Marriage

Larry,

Here is the Cwikla-Pacion marriage record.

Dave

Col. 1: Cwikla (&) Pacion
Col. 2: Date of Marriage: 1906 A.D 30 J...? = In the Year of Our Lord J...? 30, 1906 (The letters of the month as written do not correspond to any of the months which begin with the letter J (Januarii, Junii, or Julii)
Col. 3: Body of entry: I, ...etc. ...etc. ...marriage Francis/Franciszek Cwikla from Brzeska Wola (Brzyska Wola), the son of John/Jan and of Julia, and Josephine/Jozefa Pacion from Brzeska Wola (Brzyska Wola), the daughter of Valentine/Walenty and of Maria/Mary/Marie, in the presence of the witnesses (blank)

(Signed): S. P. Lozowski
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm      Post subject: For: may28991, Lem 8: Wnuk-Cichon marriage

Larry,

Here is the translation of your last post, the Wnuk-Cichon Marriage.

Dave

Col. 1: Wnuk (&) Cichon
Col. 2: Date of Marriage: 1904 A.D. 4 Octob. = October 4 in the Year of Our Lord 1904
Col. 3: Body of entry: Rev. S. Konieczny, after 2 announcements of the banns had been promulgated, and after the mutual consent of those being joined had been obtained, through words joined (conjunxi should have been changed to conjunxit since Rev. Konieczny is the subject of the verb) in the present marriage Maximilian/Maksymilian Wnuk from Brzeska Wola (Brzyska Wola) (Galicia), the son of Helcus(?)* and of Anna, and (Anna crossed out) Cichon from Brzeska Wola (Brzyska Wola) (Galicia), the daughter of Casimir/Kazimierz and of Sophia/Sofia, in the presence of the witnesses Joseph/Skowronek and Anna Kruk.
(Signed) Rev.S. P. Lozowski
Col. 4: Notations: A dispensation from one proclamation of the banns was obtained.

*I do not recognize the name Helcus, Helci.

Last edited by dnowicki on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
may28991

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:08 am      Post subject:

Thank you David, just LEM 5 to go. I can't thank you enough !!!!

Thanks again,
Larry
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 am      Post subject: for may28991, Lem5: Czapla-Cwrkla Marriage

The surname of the bride is entered as Cwrkla in Col.1 and as Czapla (which is the surname of the groom) in the body of the record in Col. 3.

Here is the translation.

Col. 1: Michael Czapla & Maria Cwrkla
Col. 2: Date of Marriage: 2 Junii 1908 = June 2, 1908
Col. 3: Body of Entry: I, the undersigned, after the 3 announcements of the banns had been promulgated beforehand, and after the mutual consent of those being joined had been obtained, through words joined in the present marriage Michael/Michal Czapla from (blank), the son of Paul/Pawel and Agatha/Agata, and Maria Czapla from (blank), the daughter of Luke/Lukasz and Anastasia/Anastazja Bezyskowski in the presence of the witnesses (blank).
Signature: S. Lozowski
may28991

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:18 pm      Post subject:

Thank you David for everything !! Happy holidays.
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:13 am      Post subject:

Attached is a baptismal record for Carolina Piszkiewicz. Her parents, "Frank and Katie" immigrated to Chicago, and were listed in the 1910 census along with two children, "Carrie", age 18 and "Jennie", age 16.

I am pretty certain the attached record is for the Carrie (Carolina) who showed up in later records, although her age should have been 22 in the census.

The only part I need translated is the writing under the date. I know from the writing under her name, that she died on 9 April 1926...I assume, in Chicago. But I haven't found any records of her death.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

1888 Carolina Piszkiewicz Baptism, Lipnica Murowana, Galicia.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  335.84 KB
 Viewed:  8047 Time(s)

1888 Carolina Piszkiewicz Baptism, Lipnica Murowana, Galicia.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:33 pm      Post subject:

Richard,

The writing you asked about is a notation about her marriage. It is tough to read the notation because the scan is dark and some of the letters were written over the dividing lines of the register page. The notation begins with an abbreviation for "copulata" followed by "in" meaning "she was joined in marriage in"...the next word (the place of marriage) is tough to decipher but looks like it begins with the letter L. This is followed by the date 19/11/910 which means November 19, 1910. The next word is "cum" ("with"). The next two words (the given and surname of her husband) are not easy to decipher. The given name could be "Andrea" ("Andrew) and his surname looks like "K...dz". Perhaps you can see the letters better on the hard copy you have. You are correct...the date under her name is the date of her death.

The marriage notation combined with what you wrote about the 1910 Census raises more questions than it answers. In was in the late 1800s that the Catholic Church started to require notations of marriage to be entered into the person's baptismal record. This was required due to increased mobility and migration not only in Poland but pretty much throughout the Western World. The notation was supposed to help keep someone (usually the man for a bunch of reasons) from leaving a wife and kids back home and deciding to get out of an unhappy situation by starting over with another woman in another place. The parish priest was supposed to enter the marriage into the baptismal register if the person was baptized in the same parish where the marriage took place. If the marriage took place in a parish other than the parish of baptism, the pastor of the parish where the marriage took place was supposed to send notification to the parish of baptism where the priest in that parish was to enter the info into the baptismal register. So much for the theory. In practice (especially for marriages in the USA of individuals baptized in Poland) often the notifications were never sent. This was especially true of large urban parishes where sending notifications was a low priority.

Now to the questions raised...If "Carrie" is this "Carolina" then she was single in April, 1910 when the census was taken and then was married in November of 1910. No problem time wise...but she didn't get married in Chi Town. There are only two Piszkiewicz marriages in the PGSA database and she is not one of them. Aniela (Angela) whom you mentioned in an earlier post is one of the two. She married Ignatius/Ignacy Szewczyk at St. Joseph's on January 7, 1915 which makes perfect sense if she was living with her uncle Frank since marriages were supposed to take place in the parish where the bride resided. I looked at the marriages from St. Joseph's for 1910 just in case her marriage had been missed in the index. Her marriage is not there. This leads me to believe that she returned to Poland where she was married in November...unless, of course, Carrie and Carolina are not the same person. Based on what is in the record, it seems Carolina/Karolina married in Poland and then eventually died there. For a notation of a death which occurred in Chicago to have been entered in a baptismal register in Lipnica would be a highly unlikely scenario. There was no Catholic Church rule or expectation that a death notation be entered into the birth/baptism register. When death notations appear, it is almost certain that they are part of the requirements of civil registrations. Priests acted as civil registrars during the time of the Partitions and they often continued to act in that capacity in the Polish Republic after WWI. While it is always possible that a death in the USA could be recorded in Lipnica the chances of that happening are about as good as the survival of the proverbial snowball...

The bottom line is that those few words in her birth/baptism record don't give you many answers but do provide you with a number of questions to be researched.

On a slightly different track...I looked through the baptismal records of St. Joseph's for the last few months of 1915 to see if there was any record of a child born to Aniela and Ignacy and there was not. However, I did see the baptismal record of Stephen John Sowa, the son of Michael Sowa and Maryanna Zych...any relative?

Extremely long comments on a few short words. I guess my wife is right...talking a lot is a family trait.

Dave
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:40 pm      Post subject:

Dave...much thanks. Some interesting things to ponder.

On the Stephan John Sowa, son of Michael Sowa family...they are not related at all. I have plenty of documentation, without anyone with those names in my tree.

For the Piszkiewicz families, I've also scoured the PGSA databases, along with a lot of the parish registers in Chicago, and was unable to put the pieces together completely. Although from the Polish church records, I discovered that they often named their first born after one of the parents, then the second born after the grandparents, etc. The result was that every generation had folks with the same given names. In fact, two brothers named their first born sons Szymon, after their father and grandfather. I am going nuts trying to figure out who is who!

Angela Piszkiewicz (that married Ignacy Szewczyk) was well known in our family and I have a lot of records for her.

The issue with Carrie (Caroline?) is more convoluted. Her parents (Frank Piszkiewicz and Catherine Jeriorska?) had two daughters named Caroline. The first was born 1886, died 1887. The second, born 1888 I couldn't find a death record for, so I assumed she lived to adulthood. But the question I need to research further is if she was the same one that wound up in Chicago.

Curiously, the 1910 census also indicates that both daughters immigrated in 1909, but their parents (Frank and Katie Piszkiewicz) immigrated in 1899. Plenty of questions to ponder!

Thanks again,
Richard
heatherc27

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:50 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

When you have the time would you please help me transcribe the names on the birth records for Michal and Catherine Brylanski? I am pretty certain that the male sponsor for Catherine is Szymon Witucki. Unfortunately, in my excitement for finding the records, I only scanned a portion of the page and didn't get the column headings. I will have to go back in order to get the month and year of birth. I think that Michal's was August of 1848. Catherine's birth year is 1851 and the month may be September. Other than the surnames I have been able to translate everything else.

Thanks,

Heather

Michal Brylanski birth.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.35 KB

Michal Brylanski birth.png

Catherine Brylanski birth.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.42 KB

Catherine Brylanski birth.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:30 pm      Post subject:

Heather,

Here are the two translations. No guarantees about the surnames and place names. That is a question of interpreting the priest's handwriting and there are not enough words in the two records to find known words (Latin) with which to compare the way he forms his letters.

Dave

Birth & Bapt. Michal Brylanski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  635.83 KB

Birth & Bapt. Michal Brylanski.jpg

Birth & Bapt. Katarzyna Brylanska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  606.73 KB

Birth & Bapt. Katarzyna Brylanska.jpg

ematlosz

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:26 am      Post subject:

Dave,
Please translate another marriage record when you get a chance. Thanks.
Beth

1768 Marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.51 KB

1768 Marriage.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:21 pm      Post subject:

Beth,

Despite the fact that the record does not provide the surname of the bride there are some important clues which should help to place her with her birth family like the first names of her father and two brothers as well as their occupations. Since the name of one of her brothers, Idzi (Egidius/Aegidius) is not among the most common given names it should really help to place her in her birth family. The adjective, germanus indicates that both her brothers were born of the same parents so they were her full brothers as opposed to half-brothers. As a side note, germanus is the word from which the Spanish word for brother, hermano, is derived. This stands in contrast with some other Romance languages were the word for brother finds its origin in the Latin word frater (brother).

Dave

Latin text: In left margin: Jarogniewice die 13 9bris
Body of Entry: Ego Michael Kocinski curatus Gluchoviensis ?(initials of religious order) benedixi matrimonium contractum inter laboriosos* Adalbertum famulum agrestem** Wozniak, annorum circiter 25, filium Petri Chalupnik*** praeconis Jarognieviensis et Magdalenam opilidem, annorum circiter 20, filiam olim Simonis opilionis Jarognieviensis posthumi prasentibus laboriosis Francisco opilione, Egidio cmetone**** fratribus germanis sponsae, Adalberto Skorzec cmetone****, omnibus de Jarogniewice.

Translation: In left margin: (Village of) Jarogniewice on the 13th day of November (1768)
Body of Entry: I, Michal Kocinski, the curate of Gluchowo ?(initials of his religious order), blessed the marriage contracted between the industrious* Wojciech, a rural/field servant**, Wozniak, about 25 years of age, the son of Piotr, a cottager***, the herald/crier of Jarogniewice, and Magdalena, a shepherdess, once the daughter of the late Szymon, a shepherd of Jargoniewice, in the presence of the industrious* Franciszek, a shepherd, (and) Idzi, a self-sustaining farmer****, the full brothers of the bride, (and) Wojciech Skorzec, a self-sustaining farmer****, all from Jarogniewice.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious is an adjective used to describe peasants/workers
**agrestis/rural/field/rustic is an adjective whose base meaning is "belonging to the fields or country"
***chalupnik is a Polish word used to describe a peasant who owned his cottage but with no extra land or fields.
****cmeto (cmetho) was a term used to indicate a peasant farmer who owned enough property (house and fields) to be self-sustaining. Often a farmer of this class employed other peasants to help him work his land.
heatherc27

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:16 pm      Post subject:

Dave,
Thank you for the help with the Brylanski translations. When you have the time could you please translate the attached records. The last name is Wachowiak (Waskowiak) and the town is Zelice. I am trying to find the parents of Anna Waskowiak who was born in Zelice about 1817. In several Seelenlistes that I have found her birth is recorded as 4 April 1817. When 2 names are given for the child in the baptism/birth record which name would the child have gone by? Thank you in advance for your help and I am in no rush for the translations.

Heather

Anna Marianna and Joanna Stanislawa Wachowiak births.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  605.66 KB

Anna Marianna and Joanna Stanislawa Wachowiak births.png

Adalbertus Wachowiak death.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.72 KB

Adalbertus Wachowiak death.png

Adalbertus Wachowiak birth.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  301.21 KB

Adalbertus Wachowiak birth.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:41 pm      Post subject:

Heather,

There is no hard and fast answer to the question of which name a person would use when two names were given to a child at birth or baptism. More often than not, the person used the first of the names, but that was not always so. A lot depended on how the names were chosen. In the first record (Anna Maryanna) the name Anna was possibly chosen in honor of her female sponsor (Godmother). In that case it is quite probable that she was usually called Anna. Fairly frequently in records a bit earlier than these two the second name recorded was in honor of the saint whose feast day was observed on or around the day of birth or baptism. A couple of examples which come to mind from records of my extended relatives are a boy who was given the name at baptism of Vincent de Paul and a girl who was baptized as Julianna de Falco. I would find it hard to imagine farmers in Poland in the late 1700s who would choose to give their children such names. It happens that the feasts of those two saints were on the days those children were baptized so my guess is that the priest added the "de Paul" and the "de Falco" on his own and the parents may not even have been aware of the addition. (Remember that when the priest baptized the children the ceremony was entirely in Latin except for the questions put to the sponsors as part of the profession of faith.) The words the father and the sponsors would have heard and probably not understood at the actual moment of baptism would have been "Julianna de Falco, Ego te baptizo in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti."

A saint that was fairly popular in parts of Poland was St. John Nepomucene. A fair number of boys were given the Polish version of that name at baptism, Jan Nepomucyn---some of those boys used the name Jan, but others used the name Nepomucyn, and hardly any ever used both Jan & Nepomucyn in daily life. All in all, my guess is that you have found the baptismal record of the Anna you were looking for, presuming that the year of the record is 1817.

The second record is not of a girl, Joanna Stanislawa, but of a boy, Jan Stanislaw. There are a number of reasons it is possible to know this from the record, but the dead give away involves the case endings on the words for "son" (filium) and "daughter" (filiam). In the first record it is easy to see that the word after Mariannam is "filiam" and in the second it is not immediately apparent that the word after Stanislaum is "filium" but the little "hook" at the end of the word is a type of "shorthand" or contraction which indicates that letters of the case ending are "um".

Anyway, here is Anna's baptismal record. Notice, only the date of her baptism is listed in the record, not the day of her birth, but you can confidently assume that she was born April. The exact day of her birth is less certain, but April 4 is not a very likely date---April 14 would be more likely, but the actual day could have been any day before April 21. The variations of the date of birth as used by an individual vs the actual date of birth is another topic, but suffice it to say that often the date of birth was not treated in the same way we treat it now.

Dave

Latin text: Zylice: Die 21 Aprilis Ego qui supra baptizavi infantem nomine Annam Mariannam filiam Mathiae Wachowiak et Catharinae Kuminiarska legitimorum conjugum. Patrini fuere Valentinus Nowak et Anna Szczesnianka*.

Translation: (Village of) Zelice/Zylice: On the 21st day of April, I, as above, baptized an infant by the name of Anna Maryanna, the daughter of the legal marriage of Maciej Wachowiak and of Katarzyna Kuminiarska. (Her) sponsors were Walenty Nowak and Anna Szczesniak*.

Note: *The suffix -ianka (anka) indicates that she was an unmarried woman. The way her name actually appears in the record is Szczesnianka rather than Szczesniakanka for euphonic reasons---it just sounds better in Polish. The -anka/ianka suffix is no longer commonly used in Poland but was very commonly used in the German Partition during the first quarter to first half of the 19th Century.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 57 of 274

Jump to: