PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm      Post subject: Stefania Lewicki Birth & Baptism

zolkie,

Here is Stefania's birth and baptism record, It does provide information which should help direct your research. There is nothing new in regard to Stefan himself, but there is information about his wife which should probably lead you to the place where they married since that event usually took place in the parish of the bride. One of the attachments shows that there was a Greek Catholic parish in the village where his wife was born. Another attachment describes the village where the priest who baptized Stefania was pastor. The map of Galicia shows the locations mentioned in the record. Today they are in Ukraine and since I don't read Cyrillic I didn't look for the places on a contemporary map.

I learned a few things from recent research about preparation for the priesthood----mostly related to the Latin Rite, but I'm sure that the course of studies was probably quite similar in Eastern Rite seminaries. A lot of the information comes from the 1917 Code of Canon Law which obviously appeared later than Stefan's lifetime. However, there was very little that was original in the 1917 Code---it was basically a compilation of laws derived from earlier decretals. The originality of the Code came from the fact that it was the first time that the rules and regulations were gathered together into one handy source book. According to the Code, a person studying for the priesthood was basically supposed to have a university education. The course of studies involved undergrad study of Philosophy and 4 years of graduate study of Theology. The philosophy in favor at that time was Scholastic Philosophy (heavy on Aristotle and the works of the Middle Ages---especially of Thomas Aquinas---and theology was also heavily weighted towards the theology of Aquinas. The courses in philosophy and theology were taught in Latin. From the entries Stefan made in the baptismal register it is clear that he had a good command of the language which would indicate that his seminary education was probably quite similar to the seminary education in the Latin Rite during the same time.

An Eastern Rite seminary where men studied for the priesthood was located in Ternopol and the record states that the village where his wife was from was near Tarnopol. Presuming that Stefan was also from eastern Galicia, it would not be much of a stretch to think that he studied at the seminary there and that he was ordained for the Eparchy (Diocese) to which that area belonged. So, back to one your original comments, it is probably very likely that he was not from the place where he served as pastor but had been assigned to that parish by his Eparch (Bishop). A plausible time frame would be that he would have been a seminary student during his late teens and early twenties and was ordained a priest at some point after he was 24 years old and that he was married before he was ordained. Perhaps he served in another parish before becoming the pastor of the parish where he died or perhaps that was the only parish where he served. Based on the data in his death record, he would have been ordained no earlier than 1873. Stefania was born in 1877 when he was 28 at which time he was the pastor of the parish. Basically, it seems that the time frame for his marriage and ordination is rather short.

Anyway, I hope this information gives you some clues which will bear fruit in your research.

Dave

Stefania Lewicki.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  667.59 KB
 Viewed:  8071 Time(s)

Stefania Lewicki.jpg

Kniaze.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.8 KB

Kniaze.JPG

Zbaraz.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.73 KB

Zbaraz.JPG

Galicia 1897.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  952.1 KB

Galicia 1897.jpg

zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:42 am      Post subject:

Thanks Dave! Wow, interesting information regarding the ordination of priests.
It's also become apparent to me that I'm not doing a complete (and sometimes accurate) job of translating the latin on the documents that I've found. I'm going to have to go back and have another look at some of the images.
For clarification, how can you tell that the priest is referring to Stefania's mother when he writes that he baptized and confirmed her in Kniaze? Is it just standard that they refer to the mother?

Jeff
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 am      Post subject:

Jeff,

The notation regarding the baptism and confirmation refers to Stefania and not to her mother. The practice in the Eastern (Greek) Rite Catholic Churches was to baptize and confirm the infant at the same time. This practice is different from what is done in the Latin Rite where the priest baptizes the child and then years later the person is confirmed by a bishop. It is a matter of practice rather than of belief and it goes back to the early days of Christianity. Three sacraments are lumped together in a grouping which is referred to as the "Sacraments of Initiation" and these three are Baptism, Confirmation, and Communion. Obviously the first converts to Christianity were adults who became members of the church by being baptized and confirmed and the participating in the main Christian event, so to speak, the Eucharist. When Christian adult parents wanted their children to become members of the church the ceremonies used for the initiation of adults were simply used in exactly the same form for infants as they had been for adults. The difference between the Eastern Rites and the Latin Rite came about when the Latin Rite separated the three sacraments in time---baptized as an infant---communion after the "age of reason"---then confirmation. The Eastern Rites kept the three as a package done at the same time. So the infant was baptized by a priest and then immediately confirmed and the, as I understand the practice, was given communion by the priest placing a drop of sacramental wine into the child's mouth.

In Stefania's record the notation about the priest who baptized and confirmed her is short and compact with some words understood like the pronoun "her" ("eam" in Latin). The antecedent of the understood pronoun is the child Stefania, not her mother. I suppose that the language of the sentence could be ambiguous in regard to the person baptized but I suppose the best explanation is that since the record is of the birth and baptism of Stefania, the sentence is talking about her and she is the understood direct object of the compound verbs "baptisavit" (baptized) and "confirmavit" (confirmed). Also, the priest who baptized her (Hipolit) did the baptism in the parish church when Stefan was the pastor. The statement in the sentence about Kniaze is that Hipolit was the pastor of the parish in Kniaze but that the baptism took place in the parish church of Zloczow.

Another unspoken question is: Since Stefan was a priest, why didn't he baptize his daughter instead of having the pastor of a neighboring parish baptize her? The short answer to that question is that unless the child was in immediate danger of death, for Stefan to have baptized his daughter would have confused relationships. Stefan's main relationship to Stefania was that of father and daughter---a biological relationship. The theory was that baptism created spiritual relationships between some of the people involved. The priest who baptized had a spiritual paternal relationship to Stefania and this relationship arose from the fact that he baptized her. The sponsors alias Godparents also had a spiritual maternal/paternal relationship which arose from the baptism itself. Parents never acted as sponsors for their child since that would have resulted in redundant duplicate relationships between them and the child and the same thing applied to the priest who administered the sacrament. All this sounds really theoretical and sort of confusing but it does explain what went on in the baptismal ceremony.

A final clarification---Stefan's wife Amalia was probably baptized in the parish of Zbaraz since the record states that that was her place of origin.

Sorry for the confusion about who was baptized where.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:38 pm      Post subject: lds 1194873 Piwczynska, Maryanna b.1800

Frank,

Here is the birth & baptism for Zuzanna Piwczyska. The village name is in Polish---"z Wilenskich Rumankow" (from Rumanki Wilenskie in the Nominative). I believe it is another of the many place names which begin with Rumunki in contemporary spelling. Rumunki Wilenskie or Wilenskie Rumunki is not found on today's maps so I would imagine that either the village no longer exists or exists under another name. The two words I can't really decipher are the surnames of the sponsors. Some of the letters as written are a mystery to me.

Anyway, here it is.

Dave

Latin Text: Above Entry: 30 z Wilenskich Rumankow 25 Maij
Body of Entry: Idem qui supra baptisavi infantem nomine Zuzanna (correct Latin spelling should be Susanna) natam 21 ejusdem filiam Simonis et Mariannae Piwczynskich LLCC Patrini fuere Mathias Kucianski(?) et Barbara S..??..ecka.

Translation: Above Entry: (#) 30 From Wilenskie Rumanki/Rumunki; May 25 (date of baptism)
I, the same who (is named) above, baptized an infant by the name of Zuzanna, borm on the 21st of the same (month & year), the daughter of the legitimate Catholic marriage of Szymon and Maryanna Piwczynski. The sponsors were Maciej Kucianski(?) and Barbara S..??..ecka.
fopuszyn

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:11 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Dave!
fopuszyn

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:45 pm      Post subject: Lopuszenski, Bartłomiej m.1773

Dave... this might be an interesting find for me. I see the Latin word "Nobilium". Index indicates name is Bartłomiej but appears smudged in marriage record.

Thanks

Frank

Lopuszenski , Bartłomiej m.1773.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  439.88 KB
 Viewed:  8072 Time(s)

Lopuszenski , Bartłomiej m.1773.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:42 pm      Post subject: Lopuszenski Bartolomej m1773

Frank,

With the exception of the given name of the groom and the given name of the first witness the record is clear and straightforward. I'm unable to determine the given name of the witness. The given name of the groom is more than blurred....it appears that two words were written one over the other. The first word appears to be "Nobilem" which would be consistent with the phrasing in the rest of the record. I don't see the Latin for Bartolomej as the second word. However, I will defer to the person who indexed the record. Perhaps that person was working from the original of the record rather than a digital image. If the words in question were "the noble Bartolomej" the Latin should read "Nobilem Bartolomeum" which I don't see there. So I'll translate the record as though the groom was "the noble Bartolomej" and leave it to you to determine what letters you see in the record.

This record is typical of the way marriages the "nobility" were entered---longer with more details (but not necessarily of greater genealogical value) than the generally shorter records for the peasantry.

Anyway, here is the record.

Dave

Latin Text: Above Body of Entry: Kruszewice
Body of Entry: Anno ut supra die 24 Octobris denunationibus praemissis tribus diebus Dominicis continuis quarum 1ma (prima) fuit die 10 (decima) Octobris incidente in Dominicam 19mam (undevicesimam) post Pentecostes, 2da (secunda) die 17ma (septima decima) Octobris incidente in Dominicam 20mam (vicesimam) post Pentecostes, 3tia (tertia) die 24 ejusdem mensis incidente in Dominicam 21mam (vicesimam primam) post Pentecostes inter Missae Parochialis sollemnia nulloque impedimento detecto Ego Adalbertus Kawinski Rector hujus Ecclesiae Parochialis matrimonium contractum inter Nobilem* Bartolomeum(?) Lopuszenski Nobilium* Josephi et Margarethae Lopuszewski filium et Spectabilem** Agnetem Dominikowna*** Spectabilium** Jacobi et Margarethae Dominikow**** filiam virginem utrosque de villa Kruszewice hujus Parochae benedixi in facie Ecclesiae praesentibus testibus fide dignis Laboriosorum***** ?...lao Maluchowski, Simone Setarek de villa Kruszewice et alijs alijis****** plurimis.

Translation: Above Body of Entry: (The village of) Kruszewice
Body of Entry: In the year as above (i.e. 1773) on the 24th day of October, after the three announcements of the banns had been proclaimed beforehand during the solemnities of the Parish Mass on three sequential Sundays of which the first was on the tenth day of October falling on the Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost, the second (was) on the seventeenth of October falling on the Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost, the third (was) on the 24th of the same month falling on the Twenty-first Sunday after Pentecost, and since no impediment had been discovered, I, Wojciech Kawinski, the Rector of this Parish Church, in the presence of the Congregation, blessed the marriage contracted between the Noble* Bartolomej(?) Lopuszenski, the son of the Noble* Jozef and Malgorzata Lopuszewski, and the worthy** Agnieszka Dominik***, a maiden, the daughter of the worthy** Jakub and Malgorzata Dominik****, both from the village of Kruszewice of this parish in the presence of the trustworthy witnesses, the upright***** ?...lao Maluchowski, Szymon Setarek from the village of Kruszewice and many others******

Notes: *Nobilis/Noble indicate the owner of a parcel of land or a leaseholder.
**Spectabilis/worthy denoted a wealthy aristocrat/patrician
***The suffix -owna was attached to a single female's surname and indicated "daughter of..."
****The case termination -ow is the Polish Genitive Plural used to follow the rules of Latin grammar since the Latin given names are Genitives.
*****LL is an abbreviation for laboriosus/industrious, the adjective used to indicate that the witnesses were both peasants.
******alijs alijs: word repeated in error.
Judieb

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:43 am      Post subject: Latin Translation

Can someone please help me translate the attached record. It is for the Polish parish of Srebrna Gora and it is in Latin. I need some help with this

Buczynski record in Latin.jpg
 Description:
This is a record for Johannes Buczynski from the parish of Srebrna Gora. I think it reads that Johannes was the son of Valentine and Margaretha Buczynski. He was born on 17 Dec 1847 and baptized on 26 Dec 1847. I can not read the rest. Please confirm
 Filesize:  214.66 KB
 Viewed:  8072 Time(s)

Buczynski record in Latin.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:16 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Translation

Judieb wrote:
Can someone please help me translate the attached record. It is for the Polish parish of Srebrna Gora and it is in Latin. I need some help with this

On December 26, 1847 (or 1817?) I baptize a child born on December 17, named Jan, son of
the worker Walenty Buczynski and Malgorzata née Gralkowska, a catholic couple. Godparents were
Walenty Kaska and Jozefa Gralkowska.
Joannes, Valentinus, Margaretha.

Dave, any mistakes?

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Judieb

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:36 pm      Post subject:

WoW! I am so impressed. Thank you, thank you! Judie
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:28 pm      Post subject: Birth & Baptism of Jan Buczynski

Gilberto & Julie,

Here is a transcription and literal translation of the record.

Gilberto,
If I were still teaching Latin and if this were an assignment I would give you a grade of 95%. You certainly correctly identified all the important information so probably the next stage in learning to get everything out of a record would be to translate the Latin literally. So consider the transcription and the literal translation as part of your continuing Latin education. I read the surname of the male sponsor as Kalka rather than Kaska, but that has nothing to do with Latin and is a question of handwriting interpretation. As far as the Latin goes, I would hesitate to say that the record states that the parents were a Catholic couple. Since this record appears to be an ecclesiastical record rather than a civil transcript the priest would only have made a note if one or both parents were Non-Catholic. I presume that you interpret the words which follow the maiden name of the mother as containing an abbreviation for Catholic. An indication that it is not that is the way the last letter is formed. When abbreviations are indicated, like the final word in the second line, with the final letter ending with a rising appendage to the letter. I find the two words after the maiden name illegible and would not even guess as to what the priest was writing. Anyway, in the transcription letters which are understood as part of a contraction or abbreviation will be found in parentheses and I will keep the translation as literal as possible so you can match up the Latin with the English.

Dave

Latin Text: Anno D(omi)ni 1847 die 26 Decembris baptisavi infantem natum die 17 ejusdem nomine Joannem, filium Labor(iosorum)* Valentini Buczynski et Margarethae ex domo Gralkowska (illegible words)---Patrini fuere Valentinus Kalka et Josepha Gralkowska.

Translation: In the Year of Our Lord 1847 on the 26th day of December I baptized an infant born on the 17th day of the same by the name of Jan, the son of the industrious* Walenty Buczynski and Malgorzata from home Gralkowska (illegible words)---The sponsors were Walenty Kalka and Jozefa Gralkowski.

Explanatory Note: laboriosus/industrious is an adjective which describes the social status of the parents as peasants. They were workers/peasants as opposed to nobles.

Notes regarding translation: Latin often leaves words understood which are not explicit in the text. In the first words of the record the prepositions "in" and "on" don't need to be written because the words anno and die are what are called Ablatives of Time. English needs the prepositions but Latin does not since they are part of that particular use of the Ablative.
"Our" is understood with "Lord" and again Latin does not need to specifically express that word.
"Ejusdem/of the same": The words "month and year" are understood.
"Ex domo/from home": There are a number of ways that Latin can express a woman's maiden name. "Ex domo" was often found in Latin written by Poles because it so closely corresponds with the Polish "z domu". In Latin written in most other countries it would not have been the expression of choice.
"Fuere/were" is the 3rd Person Plural of the Perfect Tense of the verb to be. There are two forms of that verb which both mean the same and are both perfectly good Latin. They are "fuerunt" and the form seen here "fuere".

Last edited by dnowicki on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judieb

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:13 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much to both of you. I can understand how much work this is. Just as a side note, the year is actually 1847. I verified this on the microfilm. The recorder's penmanship showed that his/her "4" 's appeared to be "7"'s. But the date 1847 is consistent with the other records.

Judieb
nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:56 am      Post subject: Re: Jan Tylicki & Teresa Lugowska Marriage

dnowicki wrote:
Nancy,

Here is the transcription and translation of the Jan Tylicki & Teresa Lugowska marriage record and am guessing that this is not the same couple that was married in the previously translated record.......
I went back and located the earlier Tylicki-Lugowska transcription and translation and am attaching it here so you can see how the two records appear to be for distinct couples.

If you didn't say that the two records were from the same year and from the same parish, based on the vocabulary and Latin style as well as the handwriting I would have guessed that they were either from two different places or from two different years.

Dave,

Your instincts were right on target. This is a prime example of 'the power of suggestion'. The Index for the Szrensk parish noted the marriage between a Jan Tylciki and Teresa Lugowski having occurred in 1736. I remembered the year and did not refer back to the index when I was finally able to get the film from the LDS. I was so excited when I 'found Jan and Teresa nee Lugowska' during the time frame and posted it for your translation. When I returned to the FHS and started trolling through every page of the film-I then discovered the '2nd record for Jan and Teresa nee Lugowska', which naturally caused much confusion. I returned to the film this weekend and discovered what I had done. Perhaps this is a lesson for all of us. At times we see what we wish to see !

This priest often used the term (ad nauseum) "Anno ut supra". One would often have to go back a page or 2 to discover the actual year. The handwriting and lighting was not the best as the LDS labeled the section "soiled". The fact that the names Jan and Teresa were very popular in the village of Lugi as well as the Lugowski clan having had multiplied there exponentially-caused me to fall into the trap....

There were indeed 2 distinct couples being married with in months of one another. The first translation was actually for Jan Zigliczynski and Teresa Lugoska in Lugi. (I deciphered his surname by looking at later birth records and then going back to the index for the parish). The last translation was indeed for my Jan Tylicki and Teresa Lugowska (which of course gave the least genealogical information!).

I have discovered a couple of more films.
I can decipher much of the standard record verbiage. I would still appreciate your expertise as I am having trouble with a couple of the names and a few words in the attached records.

I do not see a surname for the 1739 baptismal record ? And I am unable to decipher the Christian name of the child as well. As the 'other Jan and Teresa' had a baby 4 months earlier...this may be 'mine'.

The 1788 baptism of Marianna Chadzynska -the daughter of Tomazs Chazdzysnki and Agnieszka Tylicka -what do you think is the surname of the godfather?

Re the godparents in the 1754 baptismal record for Marianna Tylicki -I couldn't make out anything re them.

Usually, I just see about the same 10 or so surnames in my tree repeated constantly. As nobles were unable to marry outside of their class-they were constantly marrying distant relatives-at even a greater rate than most did at the time.

As always~

Thank you Dave for your patience and hard work,

Nancy

1788 Tylicki Chadzynski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  571.19 KB

1788 Tylicki Chadzynski.jpg

Marianna Tylicki b. 1754 Lugi godparents.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  273.77 KB

Marianna Tylicki b. 1754 Lugi godparents.jpg

No surname 1739 b of Jan i Teresa de Lugi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.48 KB

No surname 1739 b of Jan i Teresa de Lugi.jpg

fopuszyn

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:24 pm      Post subject: LDS 1194873 Rosolowski, Stanislaw d.1807

Hello Dave

I attached a 1807 death record of who might be my a 4G grandfather Stanislaw Rosolowski. I don't see it in record but his wife was Ewa.

Village looks like Majdany.

Regards,

Frank

LDS 1194873 Rosolowski, Stanislaw d.1807.jpg
 Description:
Entry #4.
 Filesize:  1.03 MB

LDS 1194873 Rosolowski, Stanislaw d.1807.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:59 am      Post subject: 1788 Baptism Record

Hi Nancy,

Starting with the easiest question is a good way to begin...So for the 1788 baptism of Maryanna the surname of the male sponsor is Hintzman---obviously a surname of German origin. The Latin reads: Famato Andrea Hintzman which translates as "The renowned Andrzej Hintzman". Famatus/renowned was an adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman. Since you know the contents of the remainder of the record there is no need to translate it.

Each of the other records would probably be best clarified with a complete translation and they will follow after this post.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 66 of 274

Jump to: