PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Russian records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 236, 237, 238  Next
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:40 pm      Post subject:

I have just joined your group and hope to learn more about my family. I am interested in a translation of my grandmother's birth record. Rozalia (Smialek) Pawyza Thank you.

Pawyza (Smialek) Rozalia G Birth & Death rec..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.69 KB
 Viewed:  8823 Time(s)

Pawyza (Smialek) Rozalia G Birth & Death rec..JPG

Staripolak64
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:43 pm      Post subject:

Two for Sophia:

No. 12
Sosnowiec

It came to pass in Miastkow/Miastkowo [?] on 10/22 January, 1891, at noon. Appeared Jozef Galka/Gałka, 26, farmer householder residing in Sosnowiec, in the presence of Jozef Lenczkowski, 52, and Adam Selka, 37, farmers residing in Miastkow, and presented us with a male infant, declaring that he was born in Sosnowiec on 2/14 of this month and year at 10:00 pm of his legal wife Teofila nee Czarniak, age 30 years. At the rite of holy baptism concluded today by Fr. Antoni Karpowicz, the child was given the name of FELIKS/FELIX. Godparents were Stanislaw Jarnutowski [?] and Justina Lodzewicz. This act read aloud to the illiterate witnesses and signed by the father and me, Fr. [?], Administrator of Miast[kow] par[ish]

signed: Jozef Gałka

-#-

No. 110
Dybzewo [or Dybziewo?]

It came to pass in Miastkow/Miastkowo [?], on 18/30 July 1893, at 1:00 PM. Appeared Stanislaw Gogol [or Gogoł?], 38, farm worker residing in Dybzewo, in the presence of
Stanislaw Tubias [Tutel?], 57, and Walenty Wisniewski, 32, both farm workers residing in Dybzewo, and presented us with a male infant, declaring that he was born in Dybzewo on 19/24 July of this year at 10:00 PM of his legal wife Katarzyna nee Gątarz, age 36. At the rite of holy baptism concluded today by Fr. Jodziewicz, the child was given the name of JAKOB. Godparents were Stanislaw Tutel [?] and Jozefa Chrostowska. This act read aloud to the illiterate and signed only by me. Fr. S. Jodziewicz, administrator.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1035

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:15 pm      Post subject:

Thank you, Ryszard!
Sophia
Staripolak64
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:39 pm      Post subject:

For klbf155

No. 31
Glinki

It came to pass in the village of Semon on 8/21 November, 1910, at 2:00 PM. We declare that in the presence of witnesses Jan Bonkowski/Bąkowski, 26, plasterer [or bricklayer], from the village of Glinki, and Jan Fabisiak, 30, organist, from Semon, that concluded today was the religious marital union between MARJAN LEJEWSKI, single, 25, son of Feliks and Helena nee Kosakowska, born in Dybczizn/Dybczitn [or?], parish of Wengrzynowo, residing in Glinki; and STANISLAWA SIARNIAK, single 20, daughter of Stanislaw and Scholastyka nee Olkowska, born in Niesalowo [?], parish of Krasnoselc [spelling?], residing with her parents in Glinki. The marriage was preceded by the publication of the banns of marriage proclaimed in the local parish church on 25 October, 7/1/14 and 8/21 November of this year. The newlyweds declare that no prenuptial contract was concluded between them. The religious rite of marriage was conducted by Fr. Brtuzy, local administrator of the parish. This act was read aloud to the illiterate newlyweds and witnesses, and signed by us and the second witness. Administrator of Semon parish, registrar of civil acts, Fr. Brtuzy [?], Jan Fabiniak
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:50 am      Post subject:

I do not know if I can attach the picture since it is saved as "all files" in my computer. However, here is the link: http://www.szukajwarchiwach.pl/78/49/0/1/22/skan/full/A71ousCYItKGktb6C_4fHA

No. 103 is for Wictor Pentkowski - husband of Katarzyna Krystman. So very happy to finally find his death record!

No. 46 is for Franciszek Krystman, son of Kataryzyna Krystman!

Thank you for any help with the translation.

Krystman, Franciszek, 1906 death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  520.39 KB

Krystman, Franciszek, 1906 death.jpg

Pentkowski, Wictor, death 1884.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.04 MB

Pentkowski, Wictor, death 1884.jpg

scott_cieminski

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:37 am      Post subject: Birth Record

Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance translating this birth record!

Last edited by scott_cieminski on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:19 pm; edited 5 times in total
Dave D

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:48 pm      Post subject:

To Staripolak64

Thanks for the 4 translations.

Dave D
Staripolak64
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:52 pm      Post subject:

For Daniel:

No. 6
village of
Jawojsze

It came to pass in the village of Lejpuny on 22 January.3 February, 1880, at 2:00 PM. We declare that in the presence of witnesses Jan Michalaitis, householder from the village of Diula [Dpul? or?], and Stanislaw Runta [or Runt?], householder from the village of Bartsiuny [?], both age 43, that concluded today was the religious marital union between STANISLAW WOJLANIS, 24, single, householder born in the village of Jawojsze, son of Wikenty and Rozalia nee Runtowna [Runt or Runta?], and having residence in the village of Jawojsze; and LUCIA MILEWICZ, single, born in the village of Jawojsze, daughter of Wikenty and Cunigunde nee Janczunewna/Janczulewna - Janczul [?], householders residing in the village of Jawojsze, 25 years of age, residing with her parents. This marriage was preceded by the publication of the banns of marriage, proclaimed in the local parish church on 6/18, 13/25 January, and 20 January/1 February of this year. The newlyweds declared that no prenuptial contract was concluded between them. The rite of marriage was conducted by Fr. Kazimierz Andruszin [?], administrator of the local parish. This act read aloud to the illiterate attendees, and signed only by me. Registrar of civil acts, Fr. Kazimierz Andruszin.
Staripolak64
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:00 pm      Post subject:

For Cynthia:

No. 2
Uniszki Zawadzki

It came to pass in the village of Wieczfnia on 26 December, 1882/7 January, 1883, at 2:00 PM. Appeared in person Bogumil Kryger, wheelwright, age 24, residing in Uniszki, in the presence of Jakob Piskorowski, 50, and Leon Majewski, 51, farmers residing in Uniszki, and presented us with a female infant, declaring that she was born in Uniszki Zawadzki yesterday at 4L00 PM of his legal wife Maryanna nee Zielinska, age 25. At holy baptism concluded today, the child was given the name of ANASTAZIA/ANASTAZYA. Godparents were Adam Kacinski and Marianna Piskorowska. This act read aloud to the illiterate declarant and witnesses and signed only by us. Registrar of civil acts, administrator of Wieczfnia parish, Fr. Tomasz Kwiatkowski
crispm28
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:38 pm      Post subject: Urszula (Bialek) Pawyza Death Record

I would like a translation for this document. I believe it could be pertaining to the death of Urszula (Bialek) Pawyza, my great grandmother.

Pawyza Urszula Bialek GG Death 1884(2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.75 KB

Pawyza Urszula Bialek GG Death 1884(2).JPG

Everything Relative

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:32 pm      Post subject: Translation

I would very much appreciate translation of the two attached documents whenever someone has time. Thank you! Smile

Act 117 1895 WitalisGwiazdowski .AnnaZackiewicz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 MB

Act 117 1895 WitalisGwiazdowski .AnnaZackiewicz.jpg

Act 2 Teofila Gwiazdowska death x.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  828.17 KB

Act 2 Teofila Gwiazdowska death x.jpg

Staripolak64
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:36 pm      Post subject:

For all, a Refresher Course:

Please remember that with these 18th, 19th and early 20th century Russian-language documents, you are dealing with vocabularies, linguistic peculiarities, social conventions, indeed, with entire social classes that no longer exist. And almost every time the government changed, either with the ascension of a new czar or other bureaucratic changes, there were additions, corrections, new definitions, and regulations. This period was one of intense social classifications based upon thousands of minute laws and legalistic interpretations, all of which are no longer applicable. Such professionals as Jonathan Shea and many others in the field of Eastern European genealogy have written many helpful guides through this morass.

To repeat, these birth, death, baptism, and marriage records followed a very strict legal format in a very specific official language which no one actually spoke, called "Chancery Language," which changed frequently. The records were compiled under less than ideal circumstances by clerics and clerks who may or may not have spoken either the language of the declarants or they were only minimally familiar with the requirements of the governments for which the records were compiled. Many times the cleric or clerk simply wrote down what he thought he heard, rather than what was actually said. And most frequently, the official records books were hurriedly compiled by clerics and clerks who were trying to come in under an official deadline, using notations that might have been written on whatever scrap of paper was available at the event.

The result of this is significant possibilities for inaccuracies in spelling, punctuation, even correct dates. These are just some of the realities that must be considered in utilizing these records.

One of the terms that can cause consternation is the Russian term "неграмотный, " which means unlettered, illiterate, unlearned, unable to read or write. It is not any insult or condemnation of either the clerk, cleric, or witnesses. It just means that they were unfamiliar with the official language demanded by the government bureaucrats. That's all.

As for the social classes of serf, peasant, householder, smallholder, retired soldier, laborer, day laborer, farm laborer, and thousands of other listings of occupations, there have been written hundreds of books, articles, and explanations of the Russian social classes, far too many to list here. There have been thousands of justifications for considering the social classes of Russia, such as gentry, landed gentry, royalty, nobility, hereditary nobility, lesser nobility, none of which social classes are relevant today. Pushkarev, Dal', Lunt, Shea, Hoffman, and many, many other authors have compiled various historical dictionaries which are sometimes helpful. At one time, all these references, to which I refer daily, were listed on the Polish Origins website.

As a translator, I can give some hints about what a particular term may or may not mean, but the terms used in these documents are fairly rigid. I strive to be as accurate as more than 50 years of education, practice, and experience will allow. I try to state, as clearly as possible, what is actually written in the document, without passing judgments on those individual named in these documents.

When you read these documents, and their translations, please accept them as hazy windows on your time machine, windows to your past.

Thank you for your patience, and please forgive the long rant.

Ryszard
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:07 am      Post subject:

Thank you, Ryszard, for the refresher course. Actually, it was all new information for me and helped me better understand the context in which these records were written as well as the challenges of translating them. Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge and expertise. And, thanks for translating Anastasia Krygiers birth record.

A hazy window indeed!

Best regards,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
scott_cieminski

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:39 pm      Post subject: Birth Record

Thank you in advance for your assistance translating this birth record!

Last edited by scott_cieminski on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
scott_cieminski

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:44 pm      Post subject: Death Record

Thank you in advance for your assistance translating this death record!

Last edited by scott_cieminski on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 236, 237, 238  Next Page 177 of 238

Jump to: