PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 pm      Post subject: Does anyone recognize this Polish Military Uniform?

Hello:

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out this photo of my ggrandfather, Leon Gawlik. He was born in Moszczenica, Malopolskie, Poland.
This is a huge portrait that has been passed down to each child in the family. When I was visiting my Coaci, I took a picture of it years ago. My Babci said it was her father Leon Gawlik serving in the Polish Army. However , I wonder if it was Leon's father, Jakub Gawlik,because Leon came to America in 1900 and he was a young man?

I dont think it was from WW1 because he was living in New York when WW1 happened. I have looked online for other examples of Polish Uniforms to try and figure out what time period this was from and what unit etc. but I have had no luck, mostly seeing uniforms from the World Wars or later.
If you notice the hat, it has the Polish Eagle on it.It looks like a dress uniform to me???
So, I am back to my most trusted PolishOrigins to ask for help since Zenon was such a great help to me before.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Many Thanks,
Brandy

CCF04222010_00000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  472.34 KB
 Viewed:  13770 Time(s)

CCF04222010_00000.jpg

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arlene Vic

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm      Post subject:

I think he is wearing French or Italian. I am not sure. That is beautiful uniform he is wear.

Or he could be one of the Royalty.
violin75

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:26 pm      Post subject:

arlene:
Thanks I thought the uniform was very beautiful as well. I remember admiring it since I was a little girl. I will have to look into where it is from.
Another person said it was from the Russian Imperial Army!! I am very intrigued.
Have a wonderful night
Brandy
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:47 am      Post subject:

The uniform may be for a Polish-American patriotic association. Try a google search.
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:09 pm      Post subject:

Brandy
a quick photoshop job

Polish_Uniform-maybey.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  402.6 KB
 Viewed:  13770 Time(s)

Polish_Uniform-maybey.jpg

Send e-mail
violin75

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:57 pm      Post subject:

Bob K
Thank you so much for the photo, improved! I love photographs and photographs of ancestors are all the better. It was very sweet that you did that, the color is greatly improved.

Many Blessings,
Brandy
violin75

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:01 pm      Post subject:

Henry K
I will look into the Polish -American patriotic Association. Would have never thought of that.
Thank you

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
violin75

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:10 pm      Post subject:

This is a private message that I received from Ryszard about my photo. He said that I could post it to my board. I have decided to do so that maybe it could help others if they have a similar question. Thank you Ryszard for responding to me and for allowing me share your response.

Ryszard responds:

The uniform in your portrait is not Polish, but Russian. The double stripes on the trousers, plus the braiding on the sleeves and chest appear to be from a uniform in use prior to major uniform reforms which took place from 1906 to 1910 as a result of the Russo-Japanese War. It is what is known as a parade uniform, because of the Prussian-style helmet, known in German as a "pickelhaupt," or "spiked helmet." The eagle on the helmet is the double-headed Byzantine, or Russian Tsarist, eagle. Unfortunately, the picture does not clearly show the epaulettes, which would be specific to a particular unit. The uniform, then, is probably from the period of 1880-1905.

There are only a few reference books available in English for Tsarist uniforms, but there are several in German or Russian. A reprint of the 1910 "Tables of Uniforms of the Imperial Russian Army," by Col. V. K. Shenk, was made several years ago by Zarya Publishing Company of London, Ontaria, Canada. I don't know if it is still available, but it might not help you much. It is in Russian.

The book by Schenk was preceded in 1894 by a Russian book entitled "Graphic Tables of Uniforms of the Russian Imperial Army," compiled by S. Sovazh. I have been told that the New York Public Library may have a copy of that edition, plus a German-language album entitled "Die Russische Armee," by M. Ruhl.

I have trouble getting my messages to post to the forum, but if you want to share this information, please feel free to do so.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards
Ryszard Rye[/quote]

I am searching to find out if I can obtain more information about this. I hope this response is helpful to others here on Polish Origins.

Brandy

Stefan

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:13 am      Post subject:

Hi Brandy, Ryszard, and all,

The Schenk material is available on-line:

http://www.xenophon-mil.org/rusarmy/shenk/shenklist.htm

Best wishes,

Stefan Jackowski
Toronto
violin75

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:08 pm      Post subject:

Stefan
Thank you very much for this info. I will check it out and let everyone know what I find. Wow, the help on polishorigins.com is the best.I love how everyone is willing to help each other.
Take care,
Brandy

Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:58 am      Post subject:

Brandy,

I was talking about the uniform with my friend Jacek (also a member of our Forum), who is historian and, at the same time, professional soldier. He told me that this is for sure Austria-Hungary Army uniform and the soldier must have served in Cavalry. It is hard to figure out from the picture the rank of the soldier.

I am afraid it will be very hard to look for information about the person, even if we identified the uniform correctly... As you know Polish lands were badly experienced in 1800s and 1900s and many records were either moved outside of Poland or just
destroyed.

Some time ago Shellie from our Forum had similar question related to his ancestor serving in Austrian Army. She contacted the Archives in Wien, Austria and she received reply from them. You can read the details in this thread here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=306 .
Send e-mail
violin75

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:55 am      Post subject:

Zenon:

Good morning from Florida.
Well, thank you so very much for looking into the matter with your friend. It is very sad that the records were destroyed or lost. I guess to have the picture of my grandfather Leon in the military uniform will have to be enough and I will continue to cherish it. I come from a long line of family serving their country whether it was in Poland(partitions of Austria or Russia) or here in America and that makes me proud of the men in my family.

I will try and contact Moszczenica, Gorlice, Poland and see if maybe they can help me. I wonder if maybe they might have the military records ? I will give it a try. That would be amazing if they did have them and then It could be a great help to others on Polish Origins too.
I am very grateful to you,
Brandy

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
charliehawkman

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:24 am      Post subject:

Arlene Vic wrote:
I think he is wearing French or Italian. I am not sure. That is beautiful uniform he is wear.

Yeah I recently researched some French and Italian General royalty uniform and I found there are similarities with this picture. It is pretty good uniform and I just love it. How about putting this back into uniform today? Do you think it will work?

Last edited by charliehawkman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Arlene Vic

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:43 am      Post subject:

charliehawkman wrote:
Arlene Vic wrote:

Yeah I recently research some French and Italian General royalty uniform and I found there are similarities. Pretty good uniform I love it.

Thanks for replying back to me I have been reading lot of histories and study all kinds of uniforums . Don't forget during the wars in Poland, French, Italian, Russian and others countries settled in Poland.

Polish soldiers copied their styles I believe.
violin75

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:23 pm      Post subject:

charliehawkman wrote:
Arlene Vic wrote:

Yeah I recently researched some French and Italian General royalty uniform and I found there are similarities with this picture. It is pretty good uniform and I just love it. How about putting this back into uniform today?

Arlene and Charlie:

I am so happy that you love my Grandfathers uniform! Could you provide me with the address where you saw the other similar uniform?
Thanks,
Brandy

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: