PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 95

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:48 am      Post subject: please help locate family

I have a Mike witkowiak marrying a Marianna przybylska in 1888 in St. adalberts Church Pittsburgh pa. I then find a baptismal certificate for Prakseda. No last name listed on certificate that was issued YEARS after the fact. On her childrens marriage license I see they said her name was prakseda (Sadie) witkowska. Sadie said to be born Pittsburgh 1891. I can find zip on any of these people. The only thing I have found was Marianna now MAria marrying gggf in 1893. Listed as maria witkowiak. No census, no nothing I can not find zip. Will someone please help me. If you need more info ask if I have it I will supply it. But in desperate need of help.
Stacey
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:12 pm      Post subject:

Hi Stacey,

I did a quick search in Ancestry.com and found the following records that seem to line up with the information you provided, but still some confusion between surnames Witkowiak and Witkowski. I find nothing in ancestry.com for Witkowiak, but quite a few records for Witkowski.

1910 federal census for Mike Witkowski in Pittsburgh, Pa. He is listed as 38yrs old, married, born about 1872, and listed as a border living at that house (3015 Pulaski Way, Pgh Pa) at the time if the census. It also says he has been married for 13 years which lines up with your date of 1888. It says he immigrated to the US in 1907 from the Russian partition of Poland. His occupation is listed as locomotive cleaner for the railroad. However, this does not align with your St Adelberts marriage record if 1888, because this person wasn't in the US in 1888 and his name is Witkowski not Witkowiak. How certain are you of the surname?

I also found a 1924 PA death certificate for Helen Kukura, age 4, whose mother is listed as Sadie Witkowski (maiden name), and father is Steve Kukura.

More records can be found for Sadie Witkowski Kukura: 1920, 1930, 1940 census and a 1942 death certificate for Sadie. The death record says Sadie was born 22 Jul 1890 in Pennsylvania and died 17 Oct 1942 in Pittsburgh, Pa. she is buried at St. Stanislaus cemetery in Pittsburgh. According to these records, I estimate she married Steven Kukura 1908-1909. They had the following children per 1930 census living at home: Irene, William, John, and Dorothy.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
stacey

Replies: 95

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:35 am      Post subject:

Cynthia,
I am not sure of Surname but that is what I have on Sadies childrens marriage apps, I also have paperwork stating my gggf was to be her guardian and that is the name used. I have the 1910 and up info. I just can not place the family before that. My question being Marrianna and prakseda. Mariannna had children with my gggf and she used many different last names. I will try to scan paper from dioceses who did not copy church record but translated church book themselves. and once Marianna marries my gggf I can not find them in 1900. So its a game of hide and seek and I am losing. Any help is appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: