PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 97

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:13 pm      Post subject: More discoveries

Dear friends,
Although I have not posted lately I have not been slack in the family searches. I have learned so much that it is like a tidal wave. There are many clues that I have yet to follow.

I have a 92 year old aunt who was married to Stanley Wlaz. I contacted her for information on my mother's side of the family. My mother's maiden name was Helen Wlas. Stanley was her brother. Aunt Rose suggested I contact her son, my cousin Mark Wlaz, since he has the family memorabilia.

Score!

Recently I traveled across the USA to Washington D.C. and on that occasion I also had a meeting with my cousin. He brought with him the family papers, pictures and letters from Poland. I have just finished scanning all of these and now I have a digital record of them all on my computer and on DVD.

Here are some of the interesting things I discovered.

1.) I would probably not have learned much from searching without these documents. My grandfather Wojciech Wlaś was named many names. The ship manifest said Wojciech Wlasz. His naturalization papers say Wojciech Wlas. Other important papers have him surnamed Wlaz, Welsh, and Ulos.
2.) These same sources of information have his first name as Wojiech, Adelbert, Albert, George and George Albert. His middle name was not George but there it was for some reason.
3.) Wojiech, my maternal grandfather, lived in Luchów Górny, Poland.
4.) Luchów Górny is three miles away from Adamówka, Poland. Adamówka is the village my paternal grandmother was born and raised. Very small world indeed.
5.) Anna Kulielka, my maternal grandmother, was from Karow, Galicia which is now Kariv, Ukraine. She apparently grew up in Kracow, Poland. It is less than 50 miles away from Luchów Górny and Adamówka as the crow flies.

I have a series of correspondences from Luchów Górny from 1947. Things were quite desperate in Poland at that time. I also have letters from the 56. A couple of the letters circa 1947 had opłatek included in the envelope. The Wlaś and Petrowski family were always shipping goods and money back to the old country in those days.

[url][/url]

There are surnames from family members that married into and out of from the Wlaś in these letters also. No doubt I have many clan members from my tribe in Poland and Ukraine to trace out.

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Our Gen Stories, Websites and Blogs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: