PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:18 am      Post subject: young boys dressed as page boys in photos

I was wondering if this was a common practice. Here is the background: I had an old photo of my father dressed very nicely but he had a huge wig on that had "Goldilocks" like tendrils of curls coming down and he was wearing a very ornate hat. In his hand was a long white feather. I always guessed that he got stuck being in some school play until I visited St. John Cantius in Cleveland which is my grandparents' parish. I purchased a 1980's anniversary book and there was huge folded picture of their pastor's 25t anniversary in the priesthood with hundreds of children and church members. There, in the front was my father dressed as in the smaller photo I had of him. There were probably 20 boys his age dressed that way.

I did a little research and saw a photo of a Polish wedding in 1930's and the bride had her page boys dressed that way.

Was that a typical practice back then? My father HATED that photo and it only survived because I "stole" it because he wanted to rip it up.javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
Glad I did that for history's sake. The nuns who planned this event must have used that practice as a sort of punishment for rowdy 10 year old boys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: