PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 15

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:26 pm      Post subject:

Hello! My name is Furstone, I'm from Russia. My grandfather's (he was a Jew) surname was Sardatsky or Sardatski - I don't know how to write it correctly in latin. I read that this surname came out from polish village Sordaki (you see, it has been changed a lot - I think, because of russian laguage specifiс). I wonder if I really has Polish Origins. My father don't think so, but in our family archive there is an old marriage contract written in hebrew. Unfortunately, no one of us understands hebrew, BUT there is a small label in Russian (!?) in the corner of that document telling that it has been printed in Warsaw. And we also have 2 old photos of landscapes somewhere in West Europe.
The information about Sardatsky surname is taken from "A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from the Russian Empire" by Alexander Beider. You can also see below the only data I found about Sordaki.
"Sordaki, w spisie z 1827 r. Sorakiszki, wś, pow. wyłkowyski, gm. i par. Wyłkowyszki (odl. 3 w.), ma 31 dm., 392 mk. W 1827 r. wś rząd., miała 6 dm., 50 mk."
I will be greatful for any information on this subject.
Regards,
Furstone
Send e-mail
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:35 pm      Post subject:

Wylkowyszki is located in Lithuania. It used to be a part of Poland in the gubernia (province) of Suwalki. I was not able to find the village, but that does not mean it does not exist. The name could have been changed so much I don't recognize it.

It is now spelled Vilkaviškis. If there are any records left after WW II, I think to find them, you will need to contact the Lithuania State Archives in Vilnius. You don't say when your family was living in this place. Try going to google.com and typing in Lithuanian Archives to find their address.

I have not had to deal with the Lithuanian archives, just the one in Suwalki in Poland. I write to them in English and they reply in Polish. It may be the same with them. If you do not know Lithuanian, you can use translate.google.com to transliterate your letters.

Good luck to you.

Vilkaviskis - 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.37 KB
 Viewed:  3746 Time(s)

Vilkaviskis - 1.jpg

Send e-mail
Tina Ellis

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:37 pm      Post subject:

Here is a bit more information on Vilkaviskis

Vilkaviskis - 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.18 KB
 Viewed:  3746 Time(s)

Vilkaviskis - 2.jpg

Send e-mail
Furstone

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:54 pm      Post subject:

Tina, thanks much! It is very kind of you Very Happy
Send e-mail
Tina Ellis

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:00 pm      Post subject:

Let us know if it helps. This is how we learn areas where people are researching. Both of my father's parents were from the Suwalki area of Poland, so I have a lot of research experience in that area. In Poland, I have researched all of these parishes: Suwalki, Jeleniewo, Przerosl, Wizajny, Bakalarzewo and Filipow. I have found records on both of my Polish siblings, aunts, uncles and their ancestors, of course.

Tina
Send e-mail
Furstone

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:03 pm      Post subject:

Great! Ok, I'll let you if I will know something
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: