PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:46 am      Post subject: michal stachow

I am in Australia, I would be very grateful if someone could help, Michal Stachow is my grandfather and he was born around 1897, he had a son called Jan born in 1921 (my father) I believe in jagielnica, another son called Franciszek and possibly a daughter, I am trying to complete my polish ancestry I believe Michal had 2 siblings who migrated to the USA around 1910 one is called the polish equivalent of Andrew, I am desperate to find out michal's mothers and fathers names, Ibelieve the family came from south Poland thank you to anyone who might help my name is Rudi Roman Stachow
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:35 am      Post subject: Re: michal stachow

stachowr wrote:
I am in Australia, I would be very grateful if someone could help, Michal Stachow is my grandfather and he was born around 1897, he had a son called Jan born in 1921 (my father) I believe in jagielnica, another son called Franciszek and possibly a daughter, I am trying to complete my polish ancestry I believe Michal had 2 siblings who migrated to the USA around 1910 one is called the polish equivalent of Andrew, I am desperate to find out michal's mothers and fathers names, Ibelieve the family came from south Poland thank you to anyone who might help my name is Rudi Roman Stachow

HI,

There is an Andrzej Stachow in www.stevemorser.org arriving at Ellis Island. His birth place is Poronin, very south Poland, below Zakopane.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:49 am      Post subject:

Hi stachowr~ I found in the 1920 US Census an Andrew Stachow (indexed Stachon) 34 (b. about 1887) (arr. 1910), wife Anna 24 (arr. 1898, Czech), children Francis 5 and Mary 1 living in Clearfield PA. In the 1930 Census Andrew 43 & Anna 33 were living in Hornell, NY with additional children Joseph J. 9, Elizabeth J. born in PA and Raymond E. 1 born in NY. In the 1940 census Andrew Stackow family were still living in Hornell. Doesn't help you move backwards on your family line, but I found it interesting that Frank E. Stachow (Andrew's son) was a well-known clarinetist and music educator who died in 1982. He and his wife had 10 children; his wife died in 2012 and was survived by brother-in-law Joseph Stachow (he died in 2013) and sister-in-law Betty McKinley of Hornell, NY (apparently still living). There is a McKinley family tree on Ancestry that includes Andrew Stachow & his children, but there is no info. for his parents or siblings.

There's another Ancestry family tree with brothers Anthony (b ?) and Andrzej (=Andrew) (b 1905) who both died in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. Parents are listed as Stanley Stachow and Maria Wac of Poland. Searching Ancestry, Andrzej (b 1905) arrived in US in 1929, although another record indicates arrival at Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. I only have US Ancestry so can't look at the Canadian record. It does seem that this Andrew is perhaps too young to be the Andrew you were thinking of. ~PL
mcdonald0517

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:26 am      Post subject:

I found this record, but I don't know if this is your ancestor. The name and birth date align with Michal. It also matches the census info that Polish Librarian found. If it is your Andrew, then you are lucky - it lists the names of his parents! It is a Claims application document from the US social security administration. Note the village is in Galicia, but nowhere near jagielnica.

Name: Andrew Stachow
Race: White
Birth Date: 8 Oct 1887
Birth Place: Moszczanica, Austria
Father Name: Joseph Stachow
Mother Name: Katherine Mrowke
Type of Claim: Original SSN.
Notes: Jan 1937: Name listed as ANDREW STACHOW

I also found memorials and pictures of family gravestones for Andrew Stachow in Find A Grave.

Hope this helps,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:44 am      Post subject:

I found a NY passenger list for Andrew Stachow. Here is the summary:

Name: Andreas Stachow
Arrival Date: 6 Mar 1910
Birth Date: abt 1885
Birth Location: Austria
Birth Location Other: moszczanira
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Polish
Port of Departure: Hamburg
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: President Lincoln

His destination was to see his sister, Maria Stachow, in Pennsylvania. His father is listed as Jozef. I cannot decipher the village of his last residence or the destination city in PA. The handwriting on the manifest is difficult to read. I will post the images later. Maybe someone else can help.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:57 pm      Post subject:

Here is the image (page 1 and 2) of the NY passenger list for Andreas Stachow.
He is on line #27. The writing is difficult to read!
I was able to enlarge the image and make out the destination. He was headed to his sister, Maria Stachow, in Dubois, PA (which is about 100 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, PA); she was staying at the Commercial Hotel in Dubois, PA.

His birthplace is Moszczanica on the manifest, but his last residence is a place in Germany (can't make it out but seems to begin with "L"). He probably resided there for a time perhaps earning money for his passage. He sailed from Hamburg, Germany per the Hamburg passenger list.

Hope this helps,
Cynthia

Pg 1 Stachow passenger list.jpg
 Description:
Page 1 Andreas Stachow passenger list
 Filesize:  1.91 MB
 Viewed:  5895 Time(s)

Pg 1 Stachow passenger list.jpg

pg2 Stachow passenger list.jpg
 Description:
Page 2 Andreas Stachow passenger list
 Filesize:  526.54 KB
 Viewed:  5895 Time(s)

pg2 Stachow passenger list.jpg

Send e-mail
stachowr

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:59 am      Post subject: michal stachow

thankyou for everyone who has so far replied, my problem is unless i can link michal stachow to andrew stachow i wont be able to have the connection, I have to somehow find out Michal parents names when he was born in 1897 or when he died which I believe was in the mid 1950s. I know that Michal's son Franciszek last resided in Plock and that he had a daughter called lidia, heres hoping someone has an answer

thank you rudi stachow
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06 am      Post subject:

Hi Rudi,

Two points need to be clarified before you can make much progress - surname and village.

I suggest you post a request in the surname forum requesting more information on Stachow. It is possible the name was Anglicized and you need to know the Polish surname. For example, when I searched the Geneteka DB Stachow cannot be found, but there were many Stachowicz.

Second, in you original post, you seem unsure of the location jagielnica. How did you come to that location? If it came verbally via family then that is probably a place to start. I can find no online records for that location. From what I can tell, there are two possible villages called jagielnica. One is currently in Ukraine but used to be in Poland. The other was in southwest Poland and was part of Prussia. I am not an expert, so I suggest you post a request in the villages forum to get clarification on Jagienica and also to ask for help in locating the correct parish and possibly the archive. Once you have this information, you will probably need to call or write the parish or archive to request a search for Your father Jan's birth record and work backwards into your tree from there. Again, I see no online sources for this location.

Best of luck in your search.
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: