PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:27 pm      Post subject: Help with surname Preliskewicz

Hello all,

I need some help with a surname on a passenger list. It looks like Preliskewicz but it was probably mispelled by the person taking the information. Is there a Polish surname like this but with different spellings?

when I try searching for this surname exactly as it is spelled in the passenger list, I get no results....

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:59 am      Post subject:

Hi Cynthia,

Ah, yes, ship passenger lists. So creative in their spelling of names! One thing you can do to find properly spelled Polish surnames is to use the Rymut database here http://www.herby.com.pl/indexslo.html and in the search box, type something like this: Pr*wicz and then click the "Szukaj" button (search button). This will show you names that begin with Pr.... and end in ...wicz. Maybe one of the names there will look familiar to you. My guess is that it does not begin with "Pre..." but rather "Prz..." but that is only a guess.

If you want, give the name of the person on the passenger list and the ship's date of arrival, and I can take a look. Also let me know if it is the name of the actual passenger you are looking at, or rather the name of someone else on their line, like who they were going to visit.

Best regards,
Sophia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:16 am      Post subject:

Hello Sophia,

I will check out the website link. Here is the passenger list. I am including the entire page so you can get a sense of the writer's style. The name is in line 10. It is the name of the person they are going to see - the sponsor. I think the first letter is a P because the entry just above it says Piotr and the P in that name looks very close to the first letter of this name. Then again, I could be totally mistaken...... This name has been a challenge for me for several years now.....

I appreciate knowing what you think.

Best,
Cynthia

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  760.46 KB
 Viewed:  4297 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:47 am      Post subject:

Hi Cynthia,

OK, so you are looking at Franz from New Britain, CT. I see what you mean about the initial letter of his surname looking like the "P" from the name of the guy above that, but I am not entirely convinced. I do see "...relinkewicz" rather convincingly. I would say they are likely leaving out an "i" and they meant to put "...relinkiewicz" . So I went back to the Rymut site and used the search term *elink*wicz and there are various possible answers there. I rather like Drelinkiewicz. Try searching that surname and see what you get. And do try playing around with other search terms on Rymut.

Best of luck,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:26 pm      Post subject:

Hi again,

For what it's worth, there is a WWI registration form on familysearch.org for "Francis Drelinkiewicz" who was living in New Britain, CT. So this may be your guy.

Hoping,
Sophia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:53 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,

I think you did it! I won't know for sure until I get more birth records for my family from Dynow. But your find is very promising. There are 2 Frank Drelinkiewicz in New Britain CT. I think the one related to my family is married to Catherine. I found his and Catherines passenger lists and they were both born in Dynow and seemed to be traveling with folks from Dynow whose surnames show up in my family birth records.

Thank you so much for this lead. I have been trying to figure this out for years.

Regards,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:28 pm      Post subject:

Hi Cynthia,
Great! That makes me happy. Bring on the next puzzle...!
Best,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: