PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:55 pm      Post subject: Albert / Adelbert Kaczmarczyk

Hello everyone!

I've been doing research on my great-grandfather 4x, Albert / Adelbert Kaczmarczyk. He was born in 1892, and married to Jeanette Gordon (1902-1965). He passed away in 1987. All the information I have about birthplace is just "Poland". Frustrating.

They had 4 children, 2 of whom are WWII veterans who changed their names after service:

Chester J Kaczmarczyk (Changed his name to Chester Kares)
Roman Kaczmarczyk (Changed his name to Ray Roman)
Julie Kaczmarczyk
Mary (Marie) Kaczmarczyk (My grandmother)

Unfortunately, that is all the information I have about him. My family is thin now, and I'm merely a beginner. I also have an ancestry.com account if anyone would like to contact me there: jsho4realyo

Thanks for your help!

jsho

PS - I did use the forum search before I wrote this, and didn't find too much that I could relate.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Albert / Adelbert Kaczmarczyk

jsho wrote:
Hello everyone!

I've been doing research on my great-grandfather 4x, Albert / Adelbert Kaczmarczyk. He was born in 1892, and married to Jeanette Gordon (1902-1965). He passed away in 1987. All the information I have about birthplace is just "Poland". Frustrating.

They had 4 children, 2 of whom are WWII veterans who changed their names after service:

Julie Kaczmarczyk

Unfortunately, that is all the information I have about him. My family is thin now, and I'm merely a beginner. I also have an ancestry.com account if anyone would like to contact me there: jsho4realyo

Thanks for your help!

jsho

PS - I did use the forum search before I wrote this, and didn't find too much that I could relate.

Jsho,

Chester's marriage license tells me he was born in 1917. Maybe his birth record tell us who were his grandparents. Do you have Albert and Jeannte's marriage record? Albert's arrival (Wojciech, in polish)?

His naturalization card is a good starting point:
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Awojciech%20%2Bsurname%3Akaczmarczyk

Gilberto
Send e-mail
jsho

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Albert / Adelbert Kaczmarczyk

Magroski49 wrote:
jsho wrote:
Hello everyone!

Julie Kaczmarczyk

Thanks for your help!

jsho

Jsho,

Chester's marriage license tells me he was born in 1917. Maybe his birth record tell us who were his grandparents. Do you have Albert and Jeannte's marriage record? Albert's arrival (Wojciech, in polish)?

His naturalization card is a good starting point:
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Awojciech%20%2Bsurname%3Akaczmarczyk

Gilberto

Hey Gilberto!

I found the naturalization record and plugged that into ancestry, added! Woot! That's another piece! Unfortunately, dead stop there. Tried to search on Ellis Island immigration database, however I can't correlate anything to him, grr.

Also trying to find Chesters birth record. Proving to be a hard find.

jsho

M1893_13-5920.jpg
 Description:
Naturalization Record
 Filesize:  90.38 KB
 Viewed:  8130 Time(s)

M1893_13-5920.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:57 pm      Post subject:

jsho,

The naturalization index card Gilberto posted from Family Search together with the index card from Ancestry which you posted actually give you the information which should move your research along. However, to find out the details of where Wojciech was born, when and on which ship he arrived in the US you need to use the information on the index cards to obtain copies of his naturalization papers. His declaration of intention aka first papers (#563626) which were filed in Cleveland on Aug. 7, 1922 as well as his final papers from 1927 should contain his vital stats. The declaration of intention usually is the most detailed. The index cards give you the names of the courts where the papers were filed together with the file numbers of those documents. You need to contact the office of the clerk of the court and request a copy of the records. There is a fee for obtaining those documents, but it should be well worth your while to obtain them.

Good luck in your search.

Dave
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:15 pm      Post subject:

I found Adelbert's marriage record. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2QWH-D59 FamilySearch is a free site. I don't know if you need to sign in to see the record.

Looking at the location of the reverend at on Francis Avenue and Adelbert's address at 3360 E. 66th Street, both addresses are near St Stanislaus Church, a Polish parish http://www.ststanislaus.org/Parish-History You can check with the church for the marriage record and the baptismal records of the children. Hopefully the church records will contain some location information.

Good luck.
jsho

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:52 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
jsho,

The naturalization index card Gilberto posted from Family Search together with the index card from Ancestry which you posted actually give you the information which should move your research along. However, to find out the details of where Wojciech was born, when and on which ship he arrived in the US you need to use the information on the index cards to obtain copies of his naturalization papers. His declaration of intention aka first papers (#563626) which were filed in Cleveland on Aug. 7, 1922 as well as his final papers from 1927 should contain his vital stats. The declaration of intention usually is the most detailed. The index cards give you the names of the courts where the papers were filed together with the file numbers of those documents. You need to contact the office of the clerk of the court and request a copy of the records. There is a fee for obtaining those documents, but it should be well worth your while to obtain them.

Good luck in your search.

Dave

Thanks, Dave! I got the record, however, it doesn't even document his marriage (But a few of his children are there (3/4, grandmother wasn't born yet)). I'm wondering if the spelling of the surname changed here....

Chester's documents didn't prove to help too much, either.

Thanks again for everyones help. It's really appreciated!

jsho
Magroski49

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:54 am      Post subject: Re: Albert / Adelbert Kaczmarczyk

jsho wrote:

Hey Gilberto!

Tried to search on Ellis Island immigration database, however I can't correlate anything to him, grr.

jsho

Maybe he came through Baltimore or Philadelphia. I have found some entries in Ancestry.com but I don't have a subscripition to view the ship passengers.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
jsho

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:02 am      Post subject:

Hey all! I was able to find the Petition for Naturalization for my g-gpa. It's attached. Onward to poland genbanks!!! Thanks everyone, and if you have any more information, it's greatly appreciated. The time and effort you guys put forth to help the community is invaluable.

Also, from this information if anyone can help me determine where he came from, please let me know.

jsho

Fold3_Petition_for_Naturalization_1926_Naturalization_Petition_and_Record_Books_for_the_US_District_Court_for_the_Northern_District_of_Ohio_Eastern_Division_Cleveland_19071946.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Fold3_Petition_for_Naturalization_1926_Naturalization_Petition_and_Record_Books_for_the_US_District_Court_for_the_Northern_District_of_Ohio_Eastern_Division_Cleveland_19071946.pdf
 Filesize:  160.58 KB
 Downloaded:  525 Time(s)

Magroski49

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:44 am      Post subject:

jsho wrote:
Hey all! I was able to find the Petition for Naturalization for my g-gpa. It's attached. Onward to poland genbanks!!! Thanks everyone, and if you have any more information, it's greatly appreciated. The time and effort you guys put forth to help the community is invaluable.

Also, from this information if anyone can help me determine where he came from, please let me know.

jsho

I read ?almierse. Strange: the arrival date he mentions brings not a Wojciech but a Stanislaw Kaczmarczyk, from Leczno?

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:49 am      Post subject:

Magroski49 wrote:
jsho wrote:

jsho

I read ?almierse. Strange: the arrival date he mentions brings not a Wojciech but a Stanislaw Kaczmarczyk, from Leczna, Lublin.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
jsho

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:50 am      Post subject:

Magroski49 wrote:
jsho wrote:

jsho

I read ?almierse. Strange: the arrival date he mentions brings not a Wojciech but a Stanislaw Kaczmarczyk, from Leczno?

Gilberto

That's where I'm confused too, Gilberto. I have the manifest for the 1913 S.S. Finland, where he came to the US from Belgium (born in Poland, however). I've been searching for the marriage record for Wojciech and his wife. His wife had a simplified name coming to the US, too.

It used to be Joanna Gordon, and her mother was Julianna Karpińska Gordon, married to Aleksander Gordon. I have some good information on the Gordon side, but nothing on the Kaczmarczyk side, again, always the dead ends!

I think the immigration records and where he traveled from (Belgium) might hold some more answers.

As always, thanks again for the time and contributions - it's very appreciated!

jsho

NYT715_2016-0789.jpg
 Description:
Ship passengers
 Filesize:  804.01 KB

NYT715_2016-0789.jpg

Magroski49

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:08 pm      Post subject:

Baranów, near Kielce (there are two Baranow around Kielce). Father Jozef Kaczmarczyk.

Last edited by Magroski49 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:18 pm      Post subject:

Found!.
Skalbmierz
siedziba gminy
1291 osób
woj. świętokrzyskie
pow. kazimierski
gmina Skalbmierz
kod: 28-530

For some reason, the year 1892 is not available in the Archives:
http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=pl&mode=showopis&id=40502&miejscowosc=skalbmierz&rodzajaktu_id=20 Sad

kacz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  282.24 KB

kacz.jpg

Send e-mail
jsho

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:21 pm      Post subject:

Magroski49 wrote:
Found!.
Skalbmierz
siedziba gminy
1291 osób
woj. świętokrzyskie
pow. kazimierski
gmina Skalbmierz
kod: 28-530

For some reason, the year 1892 is not available in the Archives:
http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=pl&mode=showopis&id=40502&miejscowosc=skalbmierz&rodzajaktu_id=20 Sad

Argh!!! Thanks for finding this, though! Would it be worthwhile to email the address on that page?
jsho

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:27 pm      Post subject:

Something else to note, talking with my father today, he did have a known sister that *visited* (not migrated) from Poland named Machta (sp?). Does the pronunciation sound familiar to a common first name?

Edit - sent an email to the address listed on the page - hope this is good enough. Can you take a look, Gilberto?

Quote:
Do tych których może to dotyczyć:

Witaj! I schodzą z długiej linii Polaków z nazwiskiem Kaczmarczyk . Mój pradziadek ( x4 ) urodził się w 1892 roku w Skalbmierz , jednak nie ma danych archiwalnych można znaleźć. To wszystko, co mam :

Wojciech Kaczmarczyk
Urodził się 20 lutego 1892 (To jest to, co jego Stanu USA rekordy naturalizacji )
Ojciec: Józef Kaczmarczyk

Wszelkie informacje można dostarczyć jest bardzo ceniona .

Dzięki!
Jeff Shorf Jr.

Quote:
To whom it may concern:

Hello! I descend from a long line of Poles with the surname Kaczmarczyk. My great grandfather (x4) was born in 1892 in Skalbmierz, however there is no archive data to be found. This is all I have:

Wojciech Kaczmarczyk
Born February 20th, 1892 (This is what his U.S. naturalization records state)
Father: Jozef Kaczmarczyk

Any information you could provide is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff Shorf Jr.

Much appreciated,
jsho
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: