PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:29 pm      Post subject: 1820 B. & B. Jan Rymsza

Bob,

Here is Jan's B. & B.

Dave

Latin Text:Left Margin: Rabimski
Body of Record: 1820 Febr(uarii) 14 die Ego Silvester Kmysztanowicz vicarius Kielmensis baptisavi infantem Joannem hodie natum ex legitimis coniugibus patre Antonio Rymsza matre Marianna Gryszkowna*. Patrini fuere Joannes Orlowski et Catharina Sebastyanowa**---omnes de Rabimski parochiae Kielmensis.

Translation: Left Margin: (Village of) Rabimski
Body of Record: On the 14th day of February 1820 I, Sylwester Kmysztanowicz, vicar of Kelmes, baptized the infant Jan, born today from the legitimate marriage of the father Antoni Rymsza (and) the mother Maryanna Gryszkowna*. The sponsors were Jan Orlowski and Katarzyna Sebastyanowa**---all from Rabimski of the parish of Kelmes.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:23 am      Post subject: 1820 B. & B. Aleksander Rymsza

Bob,

Here is the next one in line---Aleksander. The letters you asked about in the 1823 record---G.D.---are clearly seen in this record. The meaning of the abbreviation which immediately comes to mind is that the letters stand for "Generosus Dominus" or "Well-born lord/sir". What makes me unsure about the meaning of the abbreviation in this instance is that Mateusz is not described as a noble in the earlier records of the birth and baptism of his older children and I don't know that someone suddenly became a noble. That status was something a person was born into---unless, of course, the person was like Cinderella and had a fairy godmother who worked magic transformations. I'll leave it to you to decide whether he was noble or not since I can think of no other logical meaning for the abbreviation. I'm unsure of the spelling of the village and can think of no resource which would help me with the geographical names in that area at that time.

Anyway, here is the transcription and translation.

Dave

Latin Text: Left Margin: Gierzaycie(?)
Body of Record: 1820 Julij 17 die Ego Silvester Kmsztanowicz vicarius Kielmensis baptisavi infantem Alexandrum hodie natum ex legitimis conjugibus patre G.D.* Matthaeo Rymsza matre Barbara Remszowna**. Patrini fuere Gabriel Andrulewicz et Catharina Markiewiczowa***---omnes de Gierzaycie(?) parochiae Kielmensis.

Translation: Left Margin: (Village of) Gierzaycie(?)
Body of Record: On the 17th day of July 1820 I, Sylwester Kmsztanowicz, vicar of Kelmes, baptized the infant Aleksander, born today of the legitimate (marital) union of the father, the well-born lord(?)* Mateusz Rymsza (and) the mother Barbara Remszowna**. The sponsors were Gabriel Andrulewicz and Katarzyna Markiewiczowa***----all from Gierzaycie(?) in the parish of Kelmes.

Notes: *Generosus Dominis/well-born lord": designation for a noble who owned at least one village
**The suffix -owna indicates "the daughter of..."
***The suffix -owa indicates a married woman, "the wife of..."
bmills

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:11 pm      Post subject: Questions of general interest

A couple of questions, hopefully of interest to many researchers...

1) I sometimes find the word "emolumentum" in records. This seems to describe a position for an elderly person, perhaps pensioner, retired, or someone receiving a stipend from the church. Do you have a good definition of what this word means ?

2) I sometimes see writing on Polish records in a language I do not recognize. I have attached an example from http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/3294/0/4.1/9/skan/full/YrWmr5pah0dCqwK8GRcjNA. Do you recognize what this language is and why it was used ?

Thank you again for your excellent work!

What Language.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  329.52 KB
 Viewed:  9916 Time(s)

What Language.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:47 pm      Post subject: Meaning of emolumentum

bmills,

The word emolumentum, emolumenti, n. is Latin and means stipend, allowance, payment, honorarium, income, etc. Probably the most accurate Polish translation is alimenta which is often translated as alimony, but not necessarily in the sense of alimony payments in US divorce cases. The best way to understand emolumentum is as a "maintenance" payment sort of like a pension---but more like a payment from relatives for the support of an elderly or infirm relative derived from farm land or a business.

Hope this gives you a decent explanation of the word.

Dave
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:23 pm      Post subject: Re: Questions of general interest

bmills wrote:
A couple of questions, hopefully of interest to many researchers...

1) I sometimes find the word "emolumentum" in records. This seems to describe a position for an elderly person, perhaps pensioner, retired, or someone receiving a stipend from the church. Do you have a good definition of what this word means ?

2) I sometimes see writing on Polish records in a language I do not recognize. I have attached an example from http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/3294/0/4.1/9/skan/full/YrWmr5pah0dCqwK8GRcjNA. Do you recognize what this language is and why it was used ?

Thank you again for your excellent work!

BMills,

Re: 1 "emolumentum"
This is Latin word (and I see Dave answered), but so close to French, that I can answer too.

émolument: (avantage, profit, gain), part d'actif qui revient à quelqu'un
// earnings: (advantage, profit, gain), share of assets which is due to someone

That fits into your case of eldery people.

Re 2:
http://polishorigins.com/forum/files/what_language_568.png
The two lines near the bottom are in Hebrew.
While I do not speak neither read, I can sometimes decipher one letter or two (aleph because it is used in mathematics, other letters because I tried to learn this alphabet, as some others). The tricky part is that Hebrew writes right to left, and that vowels have to be guessed (well, almost).
See alphabet, for example here: http://www.clarion-call.org/yeshua/o/alpha1.jpg

There was a number of Jews living in Poland for centuries if not one thousand years, cf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Poland
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historia_%C5%BByd%C3%B3w_w_Polsce

My perception through Jewish records here on PO is that almost every Jew knew how to at least sign his name in Hebrew, so they have been signing BMD records in Hebrew. Usually a Rabbi was able to read and write in Polish or in Russian too, and was acting as witness between Jewish synagogue (in Hebrew) and the Civil Registry (in Polish or Russian depending on years and partitions of Poland). Quite often you can see signatures in 2 or 3 languages on Jewish records from Poland, the signatures in Hebrew are preceded by words /it means first-last in Latin/.

Your record
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/3294/0/4.1/9/skan/full/YrWmr5pah0dCqwK8GRcjNA
is from 1811, after the Civil Code (Napoleon Code) have been implemented in many countries in Europe, which implies civil registries with records of all religions together.

Best,
Elzbieta

==
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 pm      Post subject:

Please help me translate this 1817 marriage record from Kowalewo in Leg-Probostwo parish (Plock).

1817-kowalewo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  582.36 KB
 Viewed:  9917 Time(s)

1817-kowalewo.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:24 am      Post subject: For Bob: 1823 B. & B. Pawel Rymsza

Bob,

Here is the next one. The child is a boy---Pawel/Paul. The letters before the name of the father are GD---The meaning and comments are the same as in the earlier B. & B. of Aleksander.

Dave

Latin Text: Gierzaycie
1823 Januarii 1 die Ego Silvester Kmysztanowicz vicarius Kielmensis baptisavi infantem Paulum hodie natum ex legitimis coniugibus patre G(eneroso) D(omino)* Mathaeo Rymsza matre Barbara Remczowna**. Patrini fuere Paulus Remczas(?) et Ursula Nowicka---omnes de Gierzaycie.

Translation: (The village of) Gierzaycie
On the First day of January 1823 I, Sylwester Kmysztanowicz, vicar of Kelmes, baptized the infant Pawel, born today from the legitimate (marital) union of the father, the well-born lord* Mateusz Rymsza, (and) the mother, Barbara Remczowna**. The sponsors were Pawel Remczas(?) and Urszula Nowicka----all from Gierzaycie.

Notes: *cf. B. & B. of Aleksander for meaning and comments
**The suffix -owna indicates "the daughter of..."

Last edited by dnowicki on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:38 am      Post subject: For Bob: 1824 B. & B. Elzbieta Rymsza

Bob,

Here is the last of the series of records from Kelmes.

Dave

Latin Text: Babieniszki
1824 Martii 4 die Ego Dominicus Waszkiewicz vicarius Kielmensis baptisavi infantem Elisabetham heri natam ex legitimis conjugibus patre Antonio Rymsza matre Marianna Gryszkowna*. Patrini fuere Joannes Orlowski et Agatha Gryszkowna de Babieniszki parochiae Kielmensis.
Translation: (The village of) Babieniszki
On the 4th day of March 1824 I, Dominik Waszkiewicz, vicar of Kelmes, baptized the infant Elzbieta, born yesterday from the legitimate (marital) union of the father, Antoni Rymsza, (and) the mother, Maryanna Gryszkowna*. The sponsors were Jan Orlowski and Agata Gryszkowna* from Babieniszki of the parish of Kelmes
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:14 pm      Post subject: 1817 Nowakoski-Lemanowicz Marriage

Starshadow,

Here is the Nowakoski-Lemanowicz marriage. The only thing out of the ordinary in the record is that the priest (by mistake, I'm sure) entered a phrase twice. I'll type it twice as it appears in the Latin text but will only translate it once. The entry is one long sentence with a main clause ("I blessed the marriage") and several subordinate clauses and prepositional phrases. Contemporary English would prefer to divide the entry into several shorter sentences. I translated it as it was written, only somewhat changing the word order so that the English version is not quite so choppy.

Dave

Latin Text: Praedicatorum* Ecclesiae Parochialis Legiensis Vicarius Applicatus, praemissis tribus denuntiationibus bannorum coram populo ad Divina audienda congregato, nulloque impedimento Canonico adinvento inter Missae solemnia benedixi Sacrum Matrimonium** inter Missae solemnia benedixi Sacrum Matrimonium** inter laboriosos*** honestos**** Adalbertum Nowakoski juvenem annorum aetatis 22 de Kowalewo parochianum Legiensem et Agnetem Lemanowiczowna***** virginem annorum aetatis suae 17 de Kowalewo parochianam Legiensem praesentibus testibus Antonio Lemanowicz Francisco Lemanowicz Stanislao Klelewicz ac aliis plurimis ad hunc actum congregatis.

Translation: After the three proclamations of the banns had been announced beforehand in the presence of the people gathered together to hear the Divine Rites, and since no Canonical impediment had been discovered, I, the appointed vicar of the parish church of the Preachers* in Leg, blessed the Holy Marriage between the industrious*** (and) upright**** Wojciech Nowakoski, a single young man, 22 years of age, from Kowalewo, a parishioner of Leg, and Agnieszka Lemanowiczowna*****, a maiden, 17 years of age, from Kawalewo, a parishioner of Leg, during the solemnities of the Mass in the presence of the witnesses Antoni Lemanowicz, Franciszek Lemanowicz, Stanislaw Klelewicz, and many others gathered for this deed/act (i.e. for the wedding).

Notes: *Praedicatorum/of the Preachers: i.e. The Dominicans whose order is officially known as Ordo Praedicatorum/The Order of Preachers. The parish was staffed by religious rather than secular/diocesan clergy.
**inter Missae solemnia benedixi Sacrum Matrimonium are the words repeated in error.
***laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate a peasant. The Latin uses the plural and thus the term is applied to both the bride and to the groom.
****homestus/upright: an adjective used to designate a farmer, usually from a village or small town. The adjective is plural and applies to both the bride and groom.
*****The suffix -owna indicates that she is the daughter of Lemanowicz.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:13 pm      Post subject:

Great! Thanks Dave.
ematlosz

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:26 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

At your convenience please translate the attached marriage record. Thanks for your help.

Beth

1796 Mar. Prymusiak Kaszubianka.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.74 KB

1796 Mar. Prymusiak Kaszubianka.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:15 pm      Post subject: For Beth: Prymusiak-Kaszubianka Marriage

Beth,

Here is the marriage translation. There is one rather unusual word in the record---subcmethonis. I've only run across it a couple of times before and it does not appear in any dictionary I've ever seen so what I say about it cannot be taken as the absolute gospel. In my opinion it is a word the priest used in place of semicmetho (pol kmiec) and means a farmer who was well to do but did not have as large a farmstead as a full cmetho/kmiec. My reasoning is based on several facts: 1) terms like it in records from that era were used to describe the place a peasant occupied in the social/economic hierarchy of peasantry; and 2) Words like subdiaconus or subaltern always also indicated a position in a hierarchy a step or grade below the higher rank. If a subcmetho was one grade below a cmetho, then the more commonly used term must be semicmetho. Anyway, here is the transcription and translation.

Dave

Latin Text: Left Column: 1796 die 20 9bris Srocko
Body of Entry: Idem qui immediante supra praemissis etc.* et quidem 1ma (prima) Dominica 24 post Pentecosten altera Dominica 25; ultima Dominica 26 post Pentecosten nulloque impedimento detecto benedixit matrimonium contractum inter laboriosos** Joannem Prymusiak*** juvenem annorum 28 filium Martini Prymus*** subcmethonis**** ex Srocko et Magdalenam Kaszubianka***** virginem annorum 22 filiam Joannis Kaszuba***** komornik****** ex Srocko. Testes fuere Urbanus Szymanski chalupnik******* et Joannes Prymus subcmetho**** ambo de Srocko et alii.

Translation: Left Column: The 20th day of November 1796; (Village of) Srocko
After the banns had been announced, etc.* that is namely, the first (announcement) on the 24th Sunday after Pentecost; the second (announcement) on the 25th Sunday (after Pentecost); the final (announcement) on the 26th Sunday after Pentecost, and since no impediment had been detected, the same as immediately above blessed the marriage contracted between the industrious** Jan Prymusiak***, a (single) young man, 28 years of age, a son of Marcin Prymus***, a pol kmiec**** from Srocko, and Magdalena Kaszubianka*****, a maiden, 22 years of age, the daughter of Jan Kaszuba*****, a tenant****** from Srocko. The witnesses were Urban Szymanski, a cottager*******, and Jan Prymus, a pol kmiec****, both from Srocko, and other (persons).

Notes: *etc. = the usual formula about how the banns were announced
**laboriosus/industrious: adjective denoting peasants; Plural so it refers to both the bride and the groom.
***The suffix -iak indicates "the son of" (in this case Prymus)
****subcmetho/pol kmiec: one level below a cmetho/kmiec. His land holdings were not quite large enough to make him completely self-sustaining.
*****The suffix -ianka (anka) was used in some areas of Poland to indicate "the daughter of" (in this case of Kaszuba)
******komornik/tenant: Polish not Latin: indicates a tenant who lived with another individual.
*******chalupnik/cottager: Polish not Latin: indicates a peasant who owned his cottage but no additional land
arosinski

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:17 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

Would you please translate Katarzyna's 1873 death record at your convenience. Thanks.

Andy

1873 #48 Death Catharina Rosinska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.61 KB

1873 #48 Death Catharina Rosinska.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:08 pm      Post subject: For Andy: Death & Burial Katarzyna Rosinska

Andy,

Here is the death and burial of Katarzyna Rosinska. I am unsure of the second digit in her age. I read it as 1, but it could possibly be 4. Feel free to interpret the digit according to what you see. By keeping the translation as literal as possible the result is a clumsy English sentence with the main verb appearing before the subject, but without changing to a free rendering in English awkward and clumsy is the result. Anyway, here is the transcription and both a literal and a free translation.

Dave

Latin Text: Left Margin: Otmianowo
Body of Record: Anno D(omi)ni ut supra die 27 Decembr(is) hora 8 mane [sepulta est] at vero die 25 cur(entis) hora 11mane obiit Catharina Rosinska an(norum) 71(?) vidua pauper in Wyszczelice par(ochiae) Blenna. Test(es) Michael Broda 32 et Mathias Jarwecki(?) an(norum) 35.

Translation: Left Margin: (Village of) Otmianowo
Body of Record: In the Year of Our Lord as above (1873) on the 27th day of December at the 8th hour in the morning [was buried] but in fact died on the 25th day of the current (month and year) at the 11th hour in the morning Katarzyna Rosinska, 71 years of age, a widow, pauper, in (the village of) Wiszczelice in the parish of Blenna. The witnesses (were) Michal Broda, 32, and Maciej Jarwecki(?), 35 years of age.

Free Translation in Better English: Body of Record: Katarzyna Rosinska, 71 years of age, a pauper widow from Wiszczelice in the parish of Blenna, died on the 25th of December at 11:00 a.m. and was buried on the 27th of December at 8:00 a.m. in the year of Our Lord as above (1873). The witnesses...etc.
ematlosz

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:57 am      Post subject: cause of death

Dave,
Would you please take a look at the attached word and tell me the meaning. It is found in a death record in the column for cause of death. I am able to figure of the rest of the information in the record. Thanks very much.
Beth

cause of death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.84 KB
 Viewed:  13011 Time(s)

cause of death.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 94 of 274

Jump to: