PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:39 am      Post subject:

Translation help with birth record. Birth record of Thomas Urbaniak, year 1808 from parish in Marzenin. This would be the birth record for the thomas urbaniak in the marriage record that you just translated for me. Thank you again for the help.

B-1808-Thomas Urbaniak.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.18 MB
 Viewed:  10297 Time(s)

B-1808-Thomas Urbaniak.JPG

MTorongo

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:59 am      Post subject:

Please help translate the record for Joannes Merkel born in 1844 in Polajewo. I submitted first for
translation from Polish to English by mistake.

Merkel, John Baptism 1844.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  374.8 KB
 Viewed:  10297 Time(s)

Merkel, John Baptism 1844.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:22 am      Post subject: B. & B. Klemens Marcin Grodziewicz

Hugh,

Here is the B. & B. of Klemens Marcin Grodziewicz.

Dave

Latin Text: Left Margin: 75; De Pokulanka
Body of Entry: Anno Domini 1822 m(ensis) Novembris 7 die Idem qui supra baptisavi infantem nominibus Clemensem* Martinnum patris generosi domini** Antonij Grodziewicz et Lucyae de domo Podubinska LLCC. Levantes*** generosus dominus** Ignatius Kaminski et Rozalia Adamowiczowa**** adstantes generosus dominus** Dominicus Markiewicz cum generosa domina***** Justyna Grodziewiczowna****** generosus dominus** Justinus Wasilewski cum generosa domina***** Johanna Grodziewiczowna****** generosus dominus** Josephus Bodus cum generosa domina***** Rafela Trucyanowiczowna(?)****** illegible words omnes paroc(hiae) Kiernoviensis.

Translation: Left Margin: 75; From (the village of) Pokulanka
Body of Entry: In the Year of Our Lord 1822 on the 7th day of the month of November, I, the same as above, baptized an infant with the names Klemens Marcin (born) of the legitimate Catholic marriage of the father, the well-born sir ** Antoni Grodziewicz and of Lucja nee (lit. "from home) Podubinska. Those lifting (him) up*** (were) the well-born sir** Ignacy Kaminski and Rozalia Adamowiczowa****; theose assisting (were) the well-born sir** Dominik Markiewicz with the well-born lady***** Justyna Grodziewiczowna******, the well-born sir** Justyn Wasilewski with the well-born lady***** Joanna Grodziewiczowna******, the well-born sir** Jozef Bodus with the well-born lady***** Rafala Trucyanowiczowna****** illegible words; all of the parish of Kiernowo.

Notes: *Clemensem: correct Latin spelling should be Clementem
**generosus dominus/well-born sir indicates the owner of at least one village. The Polish is urodzony pan.
***Levantes/those lifting up: a circumlocution for sponsors.
****The suffix -owa indicates "wife of..."
*****generosa domina/well-born lady indicates the owner of at least one village. The Polish is urodzona pani or urodzona panna depending on the marital status of the individual.
******The suffix -owna indicates "the daughter of..."
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:26 am      Post subject: Pending Records

The translations of the birth & baptism records of Thomas/Tomasz Urbaniak and of John/Jan Merkel will be done in the next day or so as time allows.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:24 pm      Post subject: 1808 B. & B. of Tomasz Urbaniak

Here is the next record in order posted---B. & B. of Tomasz Urbaniak. There is one word after the surname of the male sponsor where I cannot be certain about the last letters and so the reading is a guess of the only interpretation which makes sense to me. The female sponsor was married to an Urbaniak. The maiden name of Tomasz's mother is in the record in the Polish Genitive Plural form and that ending should be dropped to determine her father's surname. The third letter of her maiden name is e with the diacritical mark, which, of course, constitutes a letter which is distinct from the plain letter e. (I don't have a Polish keyboard and thus don't add the diacritical marks.)

Dave

Latin Text: Far Left Column: 4
Next Column: Szczytniki die 11 Xbris
Body of Entry: Ego qui supra die 11 Decembris 1808 baptisavi infantem sexus masculini nomine Thomam die 10 currentis mensis hora 11 ante medium noctis natum laboriosi* Joannis Urbaniak operarij et Annae de domo Piedrawow** conjugum legitimorum. Patrini fuere Antonius Wozniczak adolescens(?) Catharina de domo Kobzow** Urbanka.

Translation: Far Left Column: 4
Next Coumn: (Village of) Szczytniki; the 11th day of December
Body of Entry: I, who (is named) above, on the 11th day of December 1808, baptized an infant of the male sex by the name of Tomasz, born on the 10th day of the current month at the 11th hour before the middle of the night (i.e. 11:00 p.m.) of the legitimate Marriage of the industrious* Jan Urbaniak, a laborer/hired hand, and of Anna nee (literally: from home) Piedrawow**. The sponsosrs were Antoni Wozniczak, a single young man, (and) Katarzyna nee Kobzow** Urbanka***.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate a peasant.
**-ow is the Polish Genitive Plural ending which needs to be dropped in order to determine the Nominative form of the surname.
***Urbanka--- her married name in our view is Urbaniak. Urbaniaka doesn't sound good in Polish and Urbanka sounds much better and thus the syllable drops out of the feminine version of the surname
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 pm      Post subject: 1844 B. & B. Jan/John Merkel

Here is the B. & B. of Jan/John Merkel. In order to better understand what was going on with two surnames, one above the other, I looked up the marriage on Poznan Project. Evidently the entry "Poh" was the result of the child's maternal grandmother's maiden name being entered before the mother's correct maiden name was entered above the line. On the off chance that you've not seen the Poznan Project entry, the image is attached. It appears that the married couple is also part of the family tree of Bogdan Welka.

Please note that the child was given two names, Jan & Chryzostom/John & Chrysostom. John Chrysostom was an early saint, one of those called "Fathers of the Church".

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Latin Text: Right Margin: 1844; Joannes Merkel
Body of Entry: Polajewo ejusdem anni die vigesima septima Januarii meridie natus est Joannes C(h)risostomus filius Joannis Merkel murarii et Elisabethae Poh*>Bartol> catholicorum quem baptisavi die vigesima octava Januarii. Patrini (fuerunt) C(h)ristophorus Welnic(?) et Elisabetha Klos virgo**.

Translation: Right Margin: 1844; Jan/John Merkel
Body of Entry: (The village of) Polajewo: On the 27th day of January of the same year at noon was born Jan/John Chryzostom/Chrysostom, the son of the Catholics, Jan/John Merke, a mason/bricklayer, and of Elizbieta/Elisabeth Poh*>Bartol>, whom (i.e. the child) I baptized on the 28th day of January. The sponsors (were) Kristof/Christopher Welnic(?) and Elzbieta/Elisabeth Klos, a maiden**.

Notes: *Cf. introductory comment.
**virgo/maiden: simply indicates that she was a single/unmarried lady.

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.73 KB
 Viewed:  10296 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

Nowviskie

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:08 pm      Post subject:

Mr. Nowicki,

I would appreciate your help translating the attached marriage record for Andreas Nowicki and Anna Christina [Mynskowna?]. I suspect (but am not certain) that this may be the first marriage of my 4th-great grandfather.

A few things in particular about which I'm curious:

1. The bride is described as "infidelam", but with a name like Anna Christina, I would think she is unlikely to be Jewish. Could this term be used to describe a Protestant during this period, or do you think perhaps Anna Christina may be a convert name? Do you see anything else in this record that could be a clue?

2. It looks to me as though the witness Laurentius Nowak is described as "pater familias", yet at 26 years of age, he is the same age as the groom and barely older than the bride. What are your thoughts as to the significance of this?

Thank you in advance for your time and effort in translating and for sharing your expertise with us.

Regards,
Kent Nowviskie

Koldrab_M_1818 - Edited.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.96 MB

Koldrab_M_1818 - Edited.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:43 pm      Post subject: 1818 Marriage Andrzej Nowicki & Anna Krystyna Munskowna

Kent,

You are certainly correct in your reading of the words infidelem and paterfamilias. Paterfamilias is easier to understand and to explain than infidelem. Paterfamilias tends to bring to mind the aged family patriarch, but, judging by the frequent use of the word in the records on this page it appears that the priest was using it to mean "the head of a household". I suppose it could describe a family unit of husband and wife as well as a family unit of husband, wife and child/children. Although Wawrzyniec Nowak was far from ancient, at age 26 he could certainly have been married with a child or children. My maternal grandmother was baptized in the parish of Brzyskorzystew (not much more than 30 km from Koldrab) and her paternal ancestors lived in the parish of Slupy for generations. Her maternal grandfather and his ancestors were originally from the parish of Gluchowo (near Koscian) and her grandfather eventually migrated east to Retkowo in the parish of Brzyskorzystew. So I am rather familiar with the general area where this marriage took place. During the period from c.1790 to 1840, in my experience, most young men in the area married for the first time between the ages of about 20 to 30 and had their first child within a year or so of the wedding. Wawrzyniec, as a head of a household, could certainly fit into that time frame.

The use of the word infidelis in this record is more difficult to understand. The word was usually used to describe unbelievers---Non-Christians---which certainly did include Jews as well as Muslims. Jews, of course, lived throughout the old Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth whereas the Muslim population was generally confined to eastern areas of the Commonwealth. It is possible that the bride was a member of either of those faiths, but another possibility could be that she and her family practiced no religion, which would account for her not being baptized. Although most people in the Prov. of Poznan/Posen were either Catholics or Protestants or Jews, free-thinkers who belonged to no organized faith cannot be ruled out. The bride's given name, Anna, could certainly have been a Jewish name but Krystyna would not have been a Jewish name. Protestants as having been validly baptized were usually described as "Acatholici/Non-Catholics" in most records of the area at that time. From instances I've seen in records from that era of Catholic priests blessing marriages between two Protestants and baptizing children of Protestant couples, it seems unlikely that a priest would describe a Protestant as an unbeliever. If the bride were a new convert, we would expect her to be described as "neoconversa" like the bride and groom were described as "neosponsi/newlyweds" in this record.

So where does this leave us with Anna Krystyna? The real problem is that we cannot get inside the mind of the priest who recorded this marriage almost 200 years ago to know exactly what he intended to convey by his choice of this word. Another strange thing about this record is the lack of any mention of a dispensation from Disparity of Cult. The record states that no canonical impediment was detected, but without the dispensation Disparity of Cult (i.e. a marriage between a baptized person and an unbaptized person) was considered a diriment impediment. The only thing which is certain is that the priest did use the word "infidelis". Everything else is speculative.

Sorry I can't be more definite, but I hope this helps a bit.

Anyway, here is the transcription and translation.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Latin Text: Left Margin: Popowo Podlesne
Body of Entry: Ex N(ume)ro ink blot 1818 die 18 8bris Ego Michael Krygier curatus ecclesiae parochialis Koldrabensis benedixi matrimonium inter laboriosos* Andream Nowicki iuvenem Catholicum et Annam Christinam Munskowna** virginem infidelem illegible contraction praemissis tribus bannis diebus Dominicis coram populo ad Divina congregato in facie ecclesiae parochialis Koldrabensis---nullum impedimentum canonicum ad contrahendum matrimonium inter praedictos neosponsos detectum esse. Quorum testes fuere laboriosos* Simon Piskula aulicus annos habens 39---Adalbertus Nowicki ovilator annos 25---et Laurentius Nowak paterfamilias 26 annorum.

The columns on the next page simply keep a running tally marriages by age, marital status at the time leading up to the present marriage, etc.

Translation: Left Margin: (Village of) Popowo Podlesne
Body of Entry: From Number ink blot: on the 18th day of October 1818, I, Michal Krygier, curate of the parish church of Koldrab, blessed the marriage between the industrious* Andrzej Nowicki, a single young man, Catholic, and Anna Krystyna Munska**, a maiden, an unbeliever, illegible contraction after the three banns had been announced beforehand on Sundays in the presence of the people gathered in the parish church of Koldrab for the Divine Rites (i.e. Sunday Mass)---since no canonical impediment to marriage being contracted between the above mentioned newlyweds had been detected. Whose witnesses were the industrious* Szymon Piskula, a manor servant, 39 years of age---Wojciech Nowicki, a shepherd, 25 years old---and Wawrzyniec Nowak, head of a household, 26 years of age.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant. Since the adjectives here are plural the refer to both the bride and the groom and all three of the witnesses.
**The suffix -owna indicates "the daughter of..." I know the Poznan Project index lists the bride's surname as Minskowna but I see the letters as Munskowna.
Nowviskie

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:39 am      Post subject:

Dave,

Thank you so much for the translation and for the information you shared. Your help is much appreciated.

I think my confusion concerning paterfamilias arose because I was assuming that, as professions were listed for the other witnesses, paterfamilias in this context described his relation to another member of the wedding party.

As for Anna Christina's status as an infidel, I suppose that may remain a mystery for now, but I do appreciate your insight into the question.

I took an interest in this record because the nearby Parish Ryszewko record of the 1837 death of my 4th-great grandfather, Andreas Nowicki, shows the death of a 7 year-old girl named Margarilla Nowicka just the day before. Her father is listed as Andreas Nowicki, but the mother's name was Anna. My Andreas' wife at the time of his death was Barbara Szymczak.

There are no available records prior to 1833 for Ryszewko, so I don't know exactly when Andreas and Barbara married, but I believe their first child was born in 1831, so I was considering the possibility that this Margarilla was his daughter from a previous marriage. This Andreas would have been the same age and was marrying an Anna within just a few kilometers of Ryszewo. This record certainly doesn't offer anything concrete, but at the very least it's been an interesting exercise.

Incidentally, Margarilla's status on the Ryszewko death record looks to me like "filabea ancilla". I know ancilla is a serving maid. Do you know what the "filabea" might indicate? Please let me know if you'd like to see the scan for clarity.

Thanks again,
Kent
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:42 pm      Post subject:

Kent,

It would help to see a scan of the record. It is always helpful to see the actual record in order get a good sense of the handwriting which should allow for an accurate reading of the entry. When you get a chance, please post the death record and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks,

Dave
Nowviskie

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:40 pm      Post subject:

Here are the scans. I only posted a portion of the page, as the originals exceeded the attachment size limit.

Looking again, it seems like it might actually read "plebea ancilla".

1837 Nowicki Deaths part 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.39 KB

1837 Nowicki Deaths part 1.JPG

1837 Nowicki Deaths part 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.48 KB

1837 Nowicki Deaths part 2.JPG

Nowviskie

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:04 am      Post subject:

Dave,

I took another look at the films for this parish today, and this entry definitely reads "plebea ancilla". The priest in those years used "plebeius" quite liberally in the records, mostly for children (eg. "infans plebius") though I could really ascertain no rhyme or reason as to when he used it and when he did not. On the same page, he would sometimes apply it and sometimes not to children of fathers with identical occupation listings (agricola, famulus, etc.)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks again,
Kent
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:24 pm      Post subject:

Kent,

The word plebea goes back to the days of ancient Rome and was used to distinguish the common people from the patricians aka nobles. The priest uses it here with the same meaning. He describes Malgorzata as a peasant maid. I think that it is doubtful that at age seven she was employed as a maid but basically helped her stepmother with household chores. She was no longer an infant but was still a young girl and I guess the priest wanted to assign her a designation which would indicate that she was on the way to growing up. An infant who is described as infans plebius is being described according to his or her inherited status as a peasant. It is almost certain that the vast majority of the people of the parish were peasants as opposed to nobles but why he used that description for some and not for others is almost certainly of no consequence----it is just how he wrote the records. What is of more consequence is distinguishing some letters as the priest wrote them. His way of writing the letter l is almost identical to the way he writes the letter t---he doesn't cross the letter t. In his handwriting the letter which can be mistaken for t is the letter l with the diacritical mark. This letter appears in the surnames in record 23 and in record 26. In record 23 Vanna White would uncover three ts, one l and one l with the diacritical mark. The ts are found in Ignatius, ignoti, and parentes; the l in incola; and the l with diacritical mark in the surname Blaszkoski. This is important because what looks like Margarilla is actually Margaritha which in Polish is Malgorzata. (The h also looks like an l.)

The translations are posted in PDF form because a while ago I devised a template so I only have to fill in the blanks and not type headings when translating this type of record. The exact wording of the headings in your record may not be identical to those on the template since between about 1820 and 1874 there minor differences in the exact wording used in the headings but the substance remains constant. A final point to note about Malgorzata's and Andrzej's records is the cause of death. In Malgorzata's the cause is entered with one Polish word and one Latin word, but she died of scarlet fever. In Andrzej's record the priest makes it clear that he is using the Polish name by prefacing the Polish with the Latin word "vulgo", which here means "in the vernacular" or "in the common language." In the case of Andrzej it is not so much a cause of death as the symptoms of an unspecified intestinal problem which lead to his death. Using symptoms in place of a named disease in death records was not something unique to Poland during the second quarter of the 19th Century but was how the cause of death was frequently listed throughout the world. A final personal observation---Barbara must have had her hands full caring for her husband and her stepdaughter at the same time during their illnesses. The dying process of each must have gone on for a considerable length of time since death in both cases resulted from a slowly deteriorating physical condition.

Hoping the explanation helps,

Dave

Death Malgorzata Nowicka.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Death Malgorzata Nowicka.pdf
 Filesize:  4.59 KB
 Downloaded:  536 Time(s)

Death Andrzej Nowicki.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Death Andrzej Nowicki.pdf
 Filesize:  4.77 KB
 Downloaded:  487 Time(s)

Nowviskie

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:20 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

Thank you once again for your insight and for the translations.

It's interesting that you mention how hard this must have been for Barbara, as I remember looking over this record before I knew these were my Nowiccy and thinking how awful that must have been for the family if these two deaths were in the same household.

Anyway, I had gotten scarlet fever easily enough and had translated Andreas' cause of death roughly as dysentery. I'm glad to see I was on the right track.

I may be among the few Americans of my generation fortunate enough to have had the benefit of at least some classical education, having taken a year of Latin and Greek in secondary school, along with the more commonly studied French in both secondary school and at university. I also studied Russian at university and have become familiar with Polish orthography, so I actually do fairly well with these records once I am able to move past the peculiarities of penmanship.

It is very helpful, though, to have the benefit of your confirmation of my own translations as well as to be able draw on your expertise in matters of time and place or when I get stuck. Your time and effort in addressing my questions is most appreciated. I hope you don't mind if call on your help again in futurum.

Gratias tibi ago,
Kent
efc3011

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:27 pm      Post subject:

Today I took an new look at a birth record I had found years ago. This time around I noticed a couple Latin words that puzzle me:

The first is the word "Evang" is written under the name. I haven't noticed that on other birth records.

The second is "aglarum" ex Lukawica. Could this mean "farmer from Lukawica"? I have see versions of this word on other records(aglar), sometimes with the word "ambo". I have found that "ambo" means both, but can't find "aglar" or "aglarum".

Thank you for your help with this!
Elaine

Joannes Nieduzak birth -domus 140, Brzeziny to Andrew Nieduzak and Rosalia Ostrowska-26 Dec 1854.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.83 KB

Joannes Nieduzak birth -domus 140, Brzeziny to Andrew Nieduzak and Rosalia Ostrowska-26 Dec 1854.JPG

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 97 of 274

Jump to: