PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:07 am      Post subject: searching for my great-grand mother's roots - Luba, Senkowsk

Hello,

In memory of my mother who passed away last year I'm trying to accomplish her dream of discovering about her Polish grandmother's ancestors. She had started her search a few years before she died, but could not go further for lack of information. She apparently emigrated to Brazil together with her mother(Angela), sister(Petronela) and aunt (Felicia), probably all these names have been adapted to Portuguese spelling.

My mother's research went as far as the approximate year she emigrated to Brazil, in the 1890's and her death certificate in 1938, which has her name probably misspelled. I've tried a couple of Polish surname sites but could not get any results.

Her last name in her son's birth certificate is spelled as Luba, bur in her death certificate is Senkowski (with variations). I'm guessing she may have married twice. Her first name is Josefa (with variations).

Her death certificate information says, Warsaw/Germany, which may be misguiding. The time of her emigration to Brazil Poland was under Russia/Prusian domain. I'm not sure which place in Poland she came from.

I'd appreciate any information or hints on how to procede with my research.

Thanks in advance,

Regina Kato
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:20 am      Post subject:

Hi Regina,

Just to clarify your great-grandmother's name, you think Josefa's first marriage was to a Luba and her second to a Senkowski, but do you know her maiden surname?

Regarding the name Luba, there is a surname Łuba which shows up quite a bit in the Podlaskie area (that is, northeast of Warsaw). Perhaps with some additional information from you, like her year of birth, you may be able to get more help here.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Regina Kato

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:27 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,
I guess her maiden surname was senkowski (since it's her parents surname). The name Luba appears on her son's birth certificate, as well as the surname Ortega which is the husband's name . At least it's written on her son's birth certificate. I'm not sure where the Luba surname comes from., my guess is perhaps her first husband?
My mother used to say that her grandmother came to Brazil at the age of 15. The date on her death certificate is 1938, and according to my mom she died at the age of 63. So, I assumed she was born around 1875.
I cannot 100 per cent rely on the dates and names appearing on her Brazilian papers since there are conflicting names and spellings.
I hope my post will be open to all. I just joined this site and am not really sure how to post an open reply message.
Thanks to all,
Regina
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:30 am      Post subject:

Hi Regina,

There are a few options for researching that come to mind. You probably already are aware that on the familysearch.org website there are two sets of Brazil records that might apply. One is the Brazil, Sao Paulo Immigrant Hostelry Records 1882-1925. The other is Brazil, Bahia Passenger Lists 1855-1964. While neither of these gives the town of origin of the immigrant, you might still get a useful clue from them. The passenger list one gives only names, while the hostelry records one gives names and ages. Neither is searchable, so you have to pick a date and hunt and hunt. What would you get from it? First, you could confirm the family story of who travelled together, and second, if you get the ages, you can narrow down on the potential birth years you will have to look for records if you are able at some point to determine a town of origin for them. With the names, I would keep myself open to Angela being possibly Aniela (or even Agata, at a stretch); Felicia could be spelled Felicja, and Josefa would be spelled Józefa (possibly also Józefina). Petronela is spelled the same way you have it.

On Ancestry.com (if you have a subscription) you can look at the Hamburg Passenger Lists and also the lists of passengers leaving from the U.K., since Poles could have left from either port to go to Brazil (more likely from Hamburg, I would think). The Hamburg lists will give a hometown.

Regarding the surnames, you just have to keep an open mind as to what the Luba name is doing on her records. Since she arrived in Brazil at the age of 15, it is not likely that she would have been married in Poland so whatever emigrant or immigrant list you find her on, I suppose she will show up as a Senkowski. Well, actually Senkowska, as the ending changes for females. You may also consider a spelling of Sienkowska or the more popular Sieńkowska (accent over the N).

There are quite a few original church records online for Poland. You may need some guidance as to how to search for them. Above all, you need to know a town, as the records for baptism and marriage and death are in church books. More on this in another post, when I get a chance. I am not sure, from your post, whether the aunt who travelled with them would have also had the Senkowska surname. I think you may be able to look at where these surnames are clustered in Poland to try to narrow down an area in which to search, which is what I initially was trying to do with Luba/Łuba.

Hope this gives you some help in developing a research strategy....

Best,
Sophia
Regina Kato

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:52 am      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,
I'm excited to try all the possibilities ahead of me on this journey to discover my polish ancestors.
I had already started searching the Immigrant passenger list from 1890 (an estimate date of her arrival), I've almost finished 1891. According to my mom her grandmother arrived in Brazil in the port city of Recife. But I still want to search the SPaulo list in case she arrived there and Recife was her final destination. I will also try the Bahia list, which is closer to Recife. There's a list to Rio but I need to input a detailed information on the passenger, which I don't have. There was a ship that arived in Rio in 1890, the Sttutgart, from Hamburg. I'll try to locate this list as well.
Thank you for all the hints and directions to follow on my research. I'll keep you posted.
Regina
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:59 am      Post subject:

Hi Regina,
It's very exciting to see that you posted two records on the Polish Translation part of the forum. That must mean that you have found the town from which your ancestors came. Excellent! I would just mention to you that the 1886 document appears to me to be in Russian, rather than Polish, so I would recommend you re-post that one on the Russian Translations thread for Marcelproust to translate. The document from 1860 is, indeed, in Polish.
You must be so thrilled to see actual signatures on the 1886 document of Jozefa Sankowska and Antoni Luba. So often, the signature is only that of the person performing the ceremony. What a lucky find!
Best,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:18 am      Post subject:

Regina & Sophia,

An easy rule of thumb for determining the language of records from the Russian Partition aka Russian Poland aka The Congress Kingdom of Poland (Krolestwo Polskie) without actually being able to recognize the language is that records until 1868 were kept in Polish and records from 1868 until after WWI were kept in Russian. Indeed the 1886 document is in Russian.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Regina Kato

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:23 am      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,
Actually, the discovery was a kind and generous find from Mr. Magroski, who has volunteered to help me. I'm lucky and blessed to have his help, I cannot thank him enough. It was indeed a lucky find! I'm so excited and overwhelmed at the same time. This is the other side of the story that Jozefa kept as a secret! There's still a lot more to find out. Was my grandmother who was born in Brazil, the daughter of Luba or of Jozefa's Spanish husband she married in Brazil. When exactly Jozefa arrived in Brazil...
Thank you for the follow up, it's a great encouragement for my research.
Regards,
Regina
Regina Kato

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:36 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the great hint!
Regina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: