PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:09 pm      Post subject: Location of 2 towns: Kanewice, Poland and Dunajec (Donaiec)

Does anyone know where the towns of Kanewice and/or Dunajec are located in Poland? I found Kanewice on a passenger list from 1913 and Dunajec (Or Donaiec) indicated on birth records from 1842-43). I know there's a Dunajec close to Tarnow but the birth records were recorded in Kleczew (north of Konin). Any help will be appreciated.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:56 pm      Post subject: Re: Location of 2 towns: Kanewice, Poland and Dunajec (Dona

GerriKos wrote:
Does anyone know where the towns of Kanewice and/or Dunajec are located in Poland? I found Kanewice on a passenger list from 1913 and Dunajec (Or Donaiec) indicated on birth records from 1842-43). I know there's a Dunajec close to Tarnow but the birth records were recorded in Kleczew (north of Konin). Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Gerri,

Dunajec is a large river, very pretty and famous in Poland, cf. https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunajec
Kamienica is also a river, flowing to Dunajec. There is a small town called Kamienica too, over the river Kamienica. The jonction between the river Kamienica and the river Dunajer is circa 5 km=3 miles distant from the small town Kamienica.
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamienica_%28powiat_limanowski%29

The name Kamienica is from kamień=stone, more than one village have a name derived from kamień.

Kanewice does not exist. I do not see any etymology with that name. Kamienica is a possible option.

I looked up your note in profile, and see your search is also for Roztoka.
There is one Roztoka near Kamienica, less than 10 km.

Roztoka,+Powiat+limanowski,+Poland/Kamienica,+Powiat+limanowski,+Poland

ADDED: I see another Roztoka, over Dunajec, powiat tarnowski (county Tarnow), gmina Zakliczyn (community Zakliczyn). That one is closer to Tarnow than to Kamienica village.

The "only" problem with the above nice answer is that it is Galicia, Austria, far away from Konin or Russian partition.

While you may have several Kamien* or Roztok* in various places of Poland, Dunajec is unique, two towns with that name, Bialy Dunajec and Czarny Dunajec (white and black river Dunajec), both in Galicia, and a tiny part of a village south of Warsaw, quite a distance from Konin. Your "Dunajec" near Tarnow is a mistake, it is not shown on http://mapa.szukacz.pl/.
But the river Dunajec passes by the west of Tarnow, so maybe it is a name of a street. Maybe somebody named his house in Tarnow "Dunajec", and entered it into advertisements? No idea, but pollution is everywhere.
The bible about geography from 1880-1900 with entry Dunajec and 3 and half pages about the river: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_II/221 - plus two lines about two villages Bialy Dunajec, Czarny Dunajec.

Which let me doubt about consistency. Maybe two different part of Poland for two branches of your ancestors, one from Galicia, one from Konin area?

Best,
Elzbieta
GerriKos

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:34 pm      Post subject:

Dear Elzbieta,

Thank you very much for answering my question about Donajec and Kanewice. I thought that Kamienica was a possibility for Kanewice but, like Donajec, it too was very far from the Russian occupied village of Roztoka above Konin and Kleczew. I know this is the correct village for my family from the 1930's to the present. I am confused by the "Doneic/Donajec" on some of the records. It seemed very far for the record to be on the Kleczew microfilm. I will keep trying. Thank you for your help.
vcorb
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 57

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:25 pm      Post subject:

GerriKos,
You make reference to a microfilm for Kleczew. I have a relative who lived there and others in nearby villages, in the late 1800's and possibly 1900's. May I ask where you found a microfilm and what type of information is on it? Would it by chance be owned by LDS? I would like to research any microfilms relative to my relatives villages, if I can read them. Was it in Russian Cyrillic? I expect most during my time frames would be in Russian Cyrillic. Thanks for any assistance you can offer. Vicky
GerriKos

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:40 pm      Post subject:

Vicky,
If you go on wikipedia.com and search "Gmina Kleczew" it will list all of the villages within this district. The microfilms I used were from the LDS library. On the www.familysearch.org website I just searched Kleczew, Poland under places and lists came up according to years. Birth, marriage and death records were in Polish through 1867 then in 1868-1914 were in Russian. In 1915 they switched back to Polish. Your family records would have been in Russian Cyrillic. I do not speak/read Polish or Russian but was able to translate them with the help of Polish Origins and familysearch.org translation aids. The wording is pretty standard on most of them and you can match words from the samples and use a dictionary for the rest. Birth records give parents, child, godparents, date. Marriages give bride, groom, their parents, residence, place of birth, date. Deaths give deceased, spouse, sometimes children, place of death, date. Lots of great information. The worst part of translating is the handwriting - some are written beautifully and others must have learned penmanship from doctors. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
GerriKos

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:01 pm      Post subject:

Vicky,
I looked at your profile page after I sent the above reply and it looks like most of the towns you listed are in Gmina Slupka (southwest of Kleczew) so you could put that on familysearch.org and see what microfilms come up. Kamionka is in Gmina Kleczew.
vcorb
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:52 am      Post subject:

Thank you Gerri Kos. My grandfather noted on his ship documents that the last place he lived, before arriving in the US, was Kleczew, Russia, and his father was living in Slupca. My grandfather's birth village was Kamionka, so what you are telling me that Kamionka was in Gmina Kleczew makes sense. That should help me narrow down my aunt Helen Renn's birth record, born Oct 28, either 1909 or 1910. Her ship documents say she and her mother (and sister) were living in Kasimir Kalish before her mother brought them to the US in 1912, but her father's ship document (he arrived earlier 1910) says he lived in Kleczew before arriving. I think it's possible Helen was born in Kleczew. I've been told to check Konin civil records office, but they do not respond. I have found someone who will write them in Polish. Perhaps it will help. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated. Vicky
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:53 pm      Post subject:

vcorb wrote:
Thank you Gerri Kos. My grandfather noted on his ship documents that the last place he lived, before arriving in the US, was Kleczew, Russia, and his father was living in Slupca. My grandfather's birth village was Kamionka, so what you are telling me that Kamionka was in Gmina Kleczew makes sense. That should help me narrow down my aunt Helen Renn's birth record, born Oct 28, either 1909 or 1910. Her ship documents say she and her mother (and sister) were living in Kasimir Kalish before her mother brought them to the US in 1912, but her father's ship document (he arrived earlier 1910) says he lived in Kleczew before arriving. I think it's possible Helen was born in Kleczew. I've been told to check Konin civil records office, but they do not respond. I have found someone who will write them in Polish. Perhaps it will help. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated. Vicky

Vicky & Gerri,

It is good advice to check for LDS microfilms. (The site will be down for an upgrade on Monday the 27th---possibly for 24 hours.) Keep in mind that when you want to locate records for a particular village the records were kept on the parish level. When looking in the LDS catalogue it is necessary to search for the parish which may or may not correspond to the village where someone was born or lived. Kleczew and Slupca were both towns where the town and the parish had the same name. However, the Roman Catholic parish for Kamionka was Budzislaw Koscielny and the Protestant/Lutheran parish was in Konin. The attachment is from an online book which may come in handy for you since you don't read Polish. The book was compiled in the 1930s but more often than not the info is valid for the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. If you use the book, the columns which would be important for you are the first and the last. The first column lists the name of the place and the last column lists the parish to which that place belonged. In the last column the letter "r" stands for the Roman Catholic parish and the letter "e" stands for the Evangelical/Protestant/Lutheran parish. When you see the word "loco" followed by either letter it means that the name of the place in the first column and the name of the parish are the same.

Wishing you success,

Dave

kamionka.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  271.46 KB
 Viewed:  12797 Time(s)

kamionka.JPG

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:15 pm      Post subject:

vcorb wrote:

Vicky,

Kazimierz Kaliski is Kazimierz Biskupi, it is very close to Kleczew - less than 3 miles as crows fly.
I put all villages together, adding the parish given by Dave, selecting "bike" for transport.

Budzisław+Kościelny,+Poland/Kamionka,+Gmina+Kleczew,+Poland/Kleczew,+Poland/Kamienica,+Poland/Kazimierz+Biskupi,+Poland

Best,
Elisabeth

Budzislaw-Kamionka-Kleczew-Kamienica-KazimierzBiskupi.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.02 KB

Budzislaw-Kamionka-Kleczew-Kamienica-KazimierzBiskupi.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:26 pm      Post subject:

Vicky & Elzbieta,

The remaining places on the profile also fit nicely on the map Elzbieta provided. Combined with those already noted they form about 3/4 of a circle. The R.C. parish for Bielawy is Kazimierz Biskupi; for Korwin is Slupca; and for Kochowo is Giewartow. LDS films are available for all those parishes. Records going into the 20th Century for most of those parishes were filmed. One stops in the 1880s.

Happy searching,

Dave
vcorb
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:17 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Elzbieta, Gerri and Dave! I am very grateful for all the information you have provided. I will study what you have listed here and also will look into the LDS films for the parishes. I recently found some family members records listed on the Poznan Project site, it appears some are R. C. And some are Lutheran. I know my grandfather was Lutheran. Thanks again. Vicky
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:15 am      Post subject:

vcorb wrote:
Thank you Elzbieta, Gerri and Dave! I am very grateful for all the information you have provided. I will study what you have listed here and also will look into the LDS films for the parishes. I recently found some family members records listed on the Poznan Project site, it appears some are R. C. And some are Lutheran. I know my grandfather was Lutheran. Thanks again. Vicky

Vicky,

The Lutheran parish was in Konin. An LDS film was made of those records covering the years 1827-1884. However, the actual books are held in the Konin branch of the Poznan Archive and they cover the years 1827-1907, 1909. The contact info for the Konin branch is attached.
The LDS microfilms were made in the main Poznan Archive and the person/persons doing the filming did not have access to the complete set of books housed in the Konin branch archive. I've encountered the same type of situation in my own research and contacted the branch archives for records not microfilmed with good results.

Wishing you success,

Dave

konin.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.89 KB

konin.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: