PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 273, 274, 275  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:38 am      Post subject: Re: Dave if you could look at this record

ossnhughie wrote:
Dave,

I just noticed on my original resource that above Petronela's baptism the godparent listed in the above childs record is Adam Okmianski (a relative of my Okmianski family no doubt) is he some kind of clergyman of some sort?

Thanks

Hugh
Hi again, im sure there will be more discoveries, when time passes and after more searches. This documents contains priests from decanat Kowno http://vddb.library.lt/fedora/get/LT-eLABa-0001:J.04~2010~ISSN_1392-7450.N_33_61.PG_151-163/DS.002.2.01.ARTIC here is Adam Okmiański, priest in Skorule village, he was born in 1745. Doc says he was from Kowno powiat, but looking at Dave's map of Poland after second partition, Szaty might be not in Wilkomierski powiat, but in Kowno powiat indeed.

Take into account Your birth record is from later time and dioecese area do not matches powiat area.

Edit: according to http://genealodzy.pl/PNphpBB2-printview-t-48113-start-0.phtml He was Kanonik Inflandzki, Dziekan Wiłkomierski. Dave must comment on that.
WSheleski

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:03 pm      Post subject: Latin records translations

Dave has been giving some great advice for quite a while now.

Let me say a few things about his comment about records in Latin.

First, this was not only the case in the area(s) we now call Poland. The Catholic Church BMD records in the Diocese of Green Bay, Wisconsin were written in Latin until at least the early 1920s. I can't say how long this lasted because, for privacy reasons, the Diocesan Archivist won't let you look at records later than that without special permission.

And before anyone chuckles too much about churches in Poland holding all the BMD records, consider that the only original record of my GGGF's death (in the late 1880s), as well as my GF's birth (1890), both in a prosperous Wisconsin city, are hand-written notes in the local Catholic church register. The state does not have records of any of this. And, yes, these records were written in Latin.

Now, if you're reading this, you obviously can read a language that has many of its roots in Latin. Also, if you grew up Catholic before the late 1960s, you probably picked up more Latin from attending church services than you realize. I never took a day of Latin but I didn't have much trouble reading the records. Frankly, I found Latin much easier to read or at least get the gist of than Polish.

Second, I have reviewed the BMD records of several Catholic churches in the area what is now the Elblag Diocese (southeast of Gdansk). My review started about 1800 and ended abut 1900. Every one of these records was written in German, not Latin. It gave me an incentive to learn how to read simple German.

Latin records translations
Posted: 12 May 2016 05:11 AM PDT

Author: dnowicki

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:11 am

Hugh,

The surname in masculine form would be Niemir (also written as Niemier). In 1998 there were 492 individuals in Poland with the surname Niemier. The "ow" is part of the suffix which is dropped to obtain the masculine form of the surname.

It is perfectly normal that records from the 1700s are only in Latin. Until after the Partitions there were no official civil records and the sacramental records of the Catholic, Orthodox, and Lutherans churches were used in place of the nonexistent civil records as proof of birth, marriage, etc. Latin was the language used by the Catholic Church for its rituals and records until the 1960s.

Dave
Nellie444

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:58 pm      Post subject: Baptism Translation

I was hoping to have some help figuring out what the baptismal certificate says, I had difficulty making out some names and some of the words. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Baptismal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  382.59 KB
 Viewed:  17907 Time(s)

Baptismal.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2793

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Dave if you could look at this record

sirdan wrote:
ossnhughie wrote:
Dave,

I just noticed on my original resource that above Petronela's baptism the godparent listed in the above childs record is Adam Okmianski (a relative of my Okmianski family no doubt) is he some kind of clergyman of some sort?

Thanks

Hugh
Hi again, im sure there will be more discoveries, when time passes and after more searches. This documents contains priests from decanat Kowno http://vddb.library.lt/fedora/get/LT-eLABa-0001:J.04~2010~ISSN_1392-7450.N_33_61.PG_151-163/DS.002.2.01.ARTIC here is Adam Okmiański, priest in Skorule village, he was born in 1745. Doc says he was from Kowno powiat, but looking at Dave's map of Poland after second partition, Szaty might be not in Wilkomierski powiat, but in Kowno powiat indeed.

Take into account Your birth record is from later time and dioecese area do not matches powiat area.

Edit: according to http://genealodzy.pl/PNphpBB2-printview-t-48113-start-0.phtml He was Kanonik Inflandzki, Dziekan Wiłkomierski. Dave must comment on that.

Sirdan & Hugh,

Indeed, as Sirdan pointed out, Adam Okmianski was a priest who held the offices of canon (kanonik) of Livonia and dean (dziekan) of Wilkomierz. So. what does this say about the geography of the region since Livonia and Wilkomierz are a good distance from each other? The bishop of the R.C. Diocese of Livonia (Inflanty) from 1794 until 1798 was Jan Nepomucen Kossakowski. In 1798 Kossakowski became the bishop of Wilno (Vilnius) and the Diocese of Livonia/Inflanty was suppressed and the territory of the suppressed diocese became part of the Diocese of Wilno(Vilnius). According to what Sirdan found, Okmianski was a priest of the Diocese of Wilno who was born in 1745. Based on the usual age of ordination to the priesthood (24-26 years of age) he probably became a priest circa 1770. By 1798 he would have been one of the "senior" priests of the diocese. Since he was dean/dziekan of the deanery/dekenat of Wilkomierz the parish to which he was assigned would have been within the territory of that deanery/dekenat. Thus it is highly unlikely that he resided anywhere near Livonia (within Wojewodztwo Inflanckie of the Commonwealth). So what is his role as canon/kanonik of Livonia? After quite a bit of reading about what is a canon and what is his role in a diocese, it has become obvious to me that there were a number of types of canons and that their role varied through the centuries. One of the functions of canons found consistently throughout history is that of aiding the bishop in the administration of the diocese and thus it appears that his area of responsibility for administration was Livonia. He most probably was pastor of a parish within the deanery/dekenat of Wilkomierz and that would have been his usual place of residence. He probably would have traveled to the area of Livonia for pastoral visitations and/or other administrative duties. He had been invited by the parents to be sponsor for the baptism of a child with three given names---Adam Jan Antoni---and he came to the parish for that baptism. The bottom line is that it is not possible to narrow down his exact place of residence (i.e. the parish of which he was pastor) any more than to say that it was within the deanery/dekenat of Wilkomierz but since no map of that deanery from 1798 appears to be available no more can be known with certitude.

I believe that the attached map of the population density of the Wojewodztwa of the Rzeczpostpolita in 1790 is interesting in that it shows which areas of the Commonwealth were most densely populated. The attached 1768 map of the area should help to picture the geographical relation of Wilno and Wilkomierz with Livonia even though the territory of each diocese was probably not identical to the area of the respective wojewodztwa.

Oh well, at least it was an opportunity to learn a bit of history of the area.

Dave

Wojewodztwa 1768.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.29 KB

Wojewodztwa 1768.JPG

Population_density_per_voivodeships_in_the_Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_in_1790_1.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.66 MB

Population_density_per_voivodeships_in_the_Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_in_1790_1.PNG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 pm      Post subject: Birth of Pawel Liszczynski for Ilyssia

elysium wrote:
Hello,

I have a baptism document for my great-great grandfather and would greatly appreciate if it could be translated. I did notice a second set of names under the 'Parentes' column and I was wondering how they may be related to his parents?

Thank you,
Ilyssia

Ilyssia,

The document you posted is a birth & baptism & confirmation certificate (an official extract of information contained in the Birth & Baptism Register of the parish). The certificate was issued some 45 years after the event. At the time of the birth the area was controlled by Austria and was known as Galicia. After WWI until WWII the area was part of the Republic of Poland and currently the area is part of Ukraine.
Given names in the document will be translated into Polish followed by the English version of the name.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Top of Certificate
Left Side: The Republic of Poland
The Palatinate (Wojewodztwo) of Tarnopol
The District of Czostkow
Right Side: The Diocese of Stanislawow
The deanery (dekenat in Polish) of Skala
The parish of Zalesie

Number 64
Certificate of Birth and of Baptism
On behalf of the Greek Rite Catholic parish office in Zalesie of the Church of Saint Michael the Archangel it is made known and attested that in the metrical books of this Church, Volume 5, page 244, is found the following:

Col. 1: Annus mensis et dies nativitatis, baptismi et confirmationis: Anno Domini Millesimo octingentesimo octogesimo nono die 8 Septembris natus (8.IX.1889) et die 10 Septembris baptisatus et confirmatus est. = The Year, Month & Day of birth, baptism and confirmation: In the One Thousand Eight Hundred Eighty-Ninth Year of Our Lord (8.9.1889) was born and on the 10th day of September was baptized and confirmed.
Col. 2: N(umer)us Domus 274 = House Number 274
Col. 3: Nomen: Paulus = Name Pawel/Paul
Col. 4: Religio: Catholica ritus Graeci = Religion: Catholic of the Greek Rite
Col. 5: Sexus: Masculini = Sex: Masculine
Col. 6: Thori: Legitimi = Of the (marital) bed: Legitimate
Col. 7: Parentes et Conditio: Nicolaus Liszczynski et Josepha filia Joannis Lipinski et Franciscae Zakzewski agricolae loci = The Parents and (their) Condition/Status/Ocupation: Mikolaj/Nicholas Liszczynski and Jozefa/Josephine, the daughter of Jan/John Lipinski and of Franciszka/Frances (nee) Zakzewski, farmers of (this) place.
Col. 8: Patrini et Conditio: Antonius Grodzinski (et) Josepha uxor Petri Lotocki agricolae loci = The sponsors and (their) Condition/Status/Occupation: Antoni/Anthony Grodzinski (and) Jozefa/Josephine, the wife of Piotr/Peter Lotocki, farmers of (this) place.
Notation in Cols. 3-5: Obstetrix: Anastasia Burdej = The midwife (was) Anastazja/Anastasia Burdej
Notation in Cols. 2-8: Baptisavit et confirmavit: X Guglewicz curatus loci = Rev. Guglewicz, the curate of (this) palce baptized and confirmed (him).

I sign these testimonials (i.e this certificate) with my own hand and seal it with the parish seal.
Left: Revenue stamp (this was a civil document and the fee was set by the civil authorities) with the imprint of the parish seal.
Zalesie on the 24th day of April in the Year of Our Lord 1934 (or 1937)
Signature of priest: Wladimir Zilinkiewicz(?), the curate of (this) place
ossnhughie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:24 pm      Post subject: Thanks for the maps

Dave,

Thank you for the maps of the Lithuanian area for the period, I really need to get maps on how the boundaries changed for the deaneries and the actual Voivodeships and the actual lower level of organization (I am drawing a blank on what they were called) . Would I right to assume these changed with the 3rd partition? With ancestors from Szaty and Zejmy in can be rather confusing (it seems they were right on the borders of these division borders.

Hugh

Send e-mail
nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:29 pm      Post subject: Bońkowski performs a Chodubski baptism

Hi Dave,

Another translation when time permits...

The parents of baby Franciszek -Jan Chodubski and Malgorzata Nicgorska- are my 5th great grandparents.

I wonder if this priest is the Franciszek Bońkowski who was born in Losice in 1704? It may be a stretch, as he would have been 70 years old at the time of this baptism? Hoping the letters after his name offer a clue.

http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21178&highlight=Losice#21178

Much appreciated,

Nancy

Franciszek Chodupski b 1774.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  17908 Time(s)

Franciszek Chodupski b 1774.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Bońkowski performs a Chodubski baptism

nercell wrote:
Hi Dave,

The parents of baby Franciszek -Jan Chodubski and Malgorzata Nicgorska- are my 5th great grandparents.

I wonder if this priest is the Franciszek Bońkowski who was born in Losice in 1704? It may be a stretch, as he would have been 70 years old at the time of this baptism? Hoping the letters after his name offer a clue.

Much appreciated,

Nancy

Nancy,

I have an idea about the letters but it would make confirmation easier if you would post the entire page or pages for comparison.

Thanks,

Dave
nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:21 pm      Post subject: Remainder of page re Chodupski

Dave...file was too large to submit in one attachment.

Thank you for your input,

N

Franz b of Jan i Marg Chodubski 1774 BELOW.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  605.17 KB

Franz b of Jan i Marg Chodubski 1774 BELOW.gif

Franz b of Jan i Marg Chodubski 1774 ABOVE.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.26 MB

Franz b of Jan i Marg Chodubski 1774 ABOVE.gif

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism Translation

Nellie444 wrote:
I was hoping to have some help figuring out what the baptismal certificate says, I had difficulty making out some names and some of the words. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Nellie,

Some letters are cut off on the image. Most I am able to figure out but not those of proper names. The certificate is an extract of information found in the parish birth and baptism register. Given names will be translated into their Polish version. The handwriting is not the clearest and so there is no guarantee about the accuracy of surnames. The printed portions of the certificate will be translated but not transcribed. The information found in the columns will be both transcribed and translated.

The 1897 map of Galicia shows the location of Drohobycz. Today it is in Ukraine.

Dave

Top Left: Austro-Hungarian Empire
Province of Galicia
District of Drohobycz
Top Right: Diocese of Przemysl
Deanery (Dekenat in Polish): Drohobycz
Parish: Drohobycz

Certificate of birth and baptism

The register of Births and Baptisms of the Latin Rite Church in Drohobycz for the village of (Name covered by revenue stamp* but should be Schodnica) Vol. II (or 11) page 34 in the year of our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred in the month of August on the 17th day in Schodnica was born and was baptized on the 3rd day of September......
Col. 1: 1900
Col. 1a: Birth: 17 Augusti = August 17
Col. 1b: Baptism: 3 Septembris = September 3
Col. 2: House Number: Blank
Col. 3: Name of the one baptized: Maria Alexandra (binom[ina]) = Maria Aleksandra (two [given] names)
Col. 4: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 5: Sex/Gender:Foemininus = Female
Col. 6: Of the bed: Legitimi = Legitimate
Col. 7: The Father: Antonius Janowski custos fodinae filius Caroli et Michalinae Sulkowska natae conjugum = Antoni Janowski, a guard/watchman of the mine, the son of the marriage Karol and of Michalina nee Sulkowska.
Col. 8: The Mother: Maria filia Stanislai Krecinski et Carolinae Pankiewicz natae conjugum = Maria, the daughter of the marriage of Stanislaw Krecinski and Karolina nee Pankiewicz.
Col. 9: The given and surnames and the status/condition/occupation of the sponsors: Joannes Karwasiecki faber ferri** et Maria uxor Josephi Giza faber ferri** = Jan Karwasiecki, an iron worker**, and Maria, the wife of Jozef Giza, an iron worker**

Andrzej Lusniak, the assistant priest. baptized (her). The midwife (was) Anna Katias(?), an examined*** (midwife).

That this extract agrees with the original is evidenced by the parish seal and the signature in my own handwriting.
Drohobycz, the 9th day of October 1906.
Parish seal & the signature of the pastor of the parish.

Notes:
*Revenue stamp: The document was a civil record of birth and thus the charge for the document along with the Austrian revenue stamp.
**faber ferri/iron worker sometimes refers to a blacksmith but can also refer to someone working in the steel industry.
***An examined midwife: From what I've seen in other records, she would be the equivalent of today's certified or licensed midwife. In the late 19th Century there were also non-licensed midwives who practiced in Galicia.

Galicia 1897.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  952.1 KB

Galicia 1897.jpg

Last edited by dnowicki on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Nellie444

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:03 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism Translation

Thank you so much for taking the time to translate for me. I really appreciate your help. Smile

dnowicki wrote:
Nellie444 wrote:

Nellie,

Some letters are cut off on the image. Most I am able to figure out but not those of proper names. The certificate is an extract of information found in the parish birth and baptism register. Given names will be translated into their Polish version. The handwriting is not the clearest and so there is no guarantee about the accuracy of surnames. The printed portions of the certificate will be translated but not transcribed. The information found in the columns will be both transcribed and translated.

The 1897 map of Galicia shows the location of Drohobycz. Today it is in Ukraine.

Dave

Top Left: Austro-Hungarian Empire
Province of Galicia
District of Drohobycz
Top Right: Diocese of Przemysl
Deanery (Dekenat in Polish): Drohobycz
Parish: Drohobycz

Certificate of birth and baptism

The register of Births and Baptisms of the Latin Rite Church in Drohobycz for the village of (Name covered by revenue stamp* but should be Sekodwica) Vol. II (or 11) page 34 in the year of our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred in the month of August on the 17th day in Sekodwica was born and was baptized on the 3rd day of September......
Col. 1: 1900
Col. 1a: Birth: 17 Augusti = August 17
Col. 1b: Baptism: 3 Septembris = September 3
Col. 2: House Number: Blank
Col. 3: Name of the one baptized: Maria Alexandra (binom[ina]) = Maria Aleksandra (two [given] names)
Col. 4: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 5: Sex/Gender:Foemininus = Female
Col. 6: Of the bed: Legitimi = Legitimate
Col. 7: The Father: Antonius Janowski(?) custos fodinae filius Caroli et Michalinae Sulkowska natae conjugum = Antoni Janowski(?), a guard/watchman of the mine, the son of the marriage Karol and of Michalina nee Sulkowska.
Col. 8: The Mother: Maria filia Stanislai Hrecinski(?) et Carolinae Pasikiewicz natae conjugum = Maria, the daughter of the marriage of Stanislaw Hrecinski(?) and Karolina nee Pasikiewicz.
Col. 9: The given and surnames and the status/condition/occupation of the sponsors: Joannes Kazmasiecki(?) faber ferri** et Maria uxor Josephi Giz(cut off) faber ferri** = Jan Kazmasiecki(?), an iron worker**, and Maria, the wife of Jozef Giz(cut off), an iron worker**

Andrzej Lusniak, the assistant priest. baptized (her). The midwife (was) Anna Katias(?), an examined*** (midwife).

That this extract agrees with the original is evidenced by the parish seal and the signature in my own handwriting.
Drohobycz, the 9th day of October 1906.
Parish seal & the signature of the pastor of the parish.

Notes:
*Revenue stamp: The document was a civil record of birth and thus the charge for the document along with the Austrian revenue stamp.
**faber ferri/iron worker sometimes refers to a blacksmith but can also refer to someone working in the steel industry.
***An examined midwife: From what I've seen in other records, she would be the equivalent of today's certified or licensed midwife. In the late 19th Century there were also non-licensed midwives who practiced in Galicia.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:30 am      Post subject:

Dave,
Nellie,

Galicia is my ancestor's place, I am always interested to see and learn. Especially when I see Przemyśl.

The first thing catching my eyes in this Latin certificate from Diocese of Przemyśl is letter "n" in the name Janowski, with question mark by Dave. It is indeed "n", but written like Cyrillic n, "н". It might be meaningless (fancy), but it might be also that the scribe was skilled in Cyrillic, and used to write in Cyrillic. Sometimes such little things help in deciphering.

The place in birth record is Schodnica.

Drohobycz: parish and its villages, includes Schodnica
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_II/152
The item “Drohobycz, miasto powiatowe” starts
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_II/150
Wikipedia Drohobycz
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drohobycz

Borysław
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_I/332
Borysław, wies, powiat Drohobycki, nad rzeka Tyśmienica, o 1 mile na poludniowy-zachod od Drohobycza, 343 metry nad powierzchnia morza. Kolej zelazna idzie z Drohobycza do Borysławia, jako galez kolei zelaznej naddniestrzanskiej (11 kilometrow dlugosci), umyslnie tylko do Borysławia poprowadzona; w tej wsi bowiem znajduja sie nadzwyczajnie obfite kopalnie nafty; ogromna ilosc przedsiebiorcow kopie wosk ziemny i olej kamienny w kilku tysiacach szybow: w 1870 roku bylo w Borysławiu i pobliskich wsiach: Tustanowice, Wolańka, Mroźnica, Schodnica, Orów i Nahujowice 4338 szybow, ktore, mozna powiedziec, co dnia sie mnoza ... etc. Ludnosc rzymsko-katolicka 1161, grecko-katolicka 660, wyrobnikow i slug 270, izraelczykow 3204, razem 5300. Nalezy do rzymsko-katolickiej parafii w Drohobyczu. ... (very interesting text and description)
//
Borysław, village, county Drohobycz, over the river Tyśmienica, about 1 mile south-west of Drohobycz, 343 meters above the surface of the sea. The railway goes from Drohobycz to Borysław as a branch of the railway Alongside-the-river-Dniestr [Transnistria] (11 kilometers in length) intentionally routed only to Borysław; because in this village there are extremely abundant mines of oil; a huge number of the entrepreneurs are digging mineral wax and oil stone in several thousand of shafts: in 1870, Borysław and nearby villages: Tustanowice, Wolańka, Mroźnica, Schodnica, Orów and Nahujowice, counted 4338 shafts, which number, you can tell, increases every day ... etc. The population: Roman Catholic 1161, Greek-Catholic 660, laborers and servants 270, Israelis 3204, all together 5300. It belongs to the Roman Catholic parish in Drohobycz. ...

On the map of Galicia you may see railway’s leg between Stryj and Chyrow, then near the station in Drohobycz, you can see a little branch going to Borysław

Let me correct some family names, adjusted with what I see, and checked if those are real names:
Pańkiewicz, 31 persons today => Karolina nee Pańkiewicz
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/pa%25C5%2584kiewicz.html
Kreciński, 19 persons today => Stanisław Kreciński
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/kreci%25C5%2584ski.html
Karwasiecki, 15 persons today => Jan Karwasiecki
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/karwasiecki.html
Giza, 4736 persons today => Jozef Giza
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/giza.html

Best,
Elzbieta

NB.
The Galicia map provided by Dave is a real treasure, with railways, and names of railways lines:
LUDWIG: two branches Sokal – Jaroslaw – Rzeszow; and Brody - Przemysl – Jaroslaw
CZERNOWITZ: going from the south to Stanislawow, then continuing as LEMBERG to Lemberg (Lwow)
AUSTRIAN: going from the east through Stanislawow - Stryj - Lemberg (Lwow) – Rawa Ruska – Belzec
And the branch Stryj – Drohobycz – Sambor – Chyrow – Przemysl, then westward, Krakow and Vienna

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austriackie_Koleje_Pa%C5%84stwowe_(na_terenie_Galicji)
https://www.facebook.com/kkStB
==
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:23 am      Post subject:

Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:
Dave,
Nellie,

Galicia is my ancestor's place, I am always interested to see and learn. Especially when I see Przemyśl.

The first thing catching my eyes in this Latin certificate from Diocese of Przemyśl is letter "n" in the name Janowski, with question mark by Dave. It is indeed "n", but written like Cyrillic n, "н". It might be meaningless (fancy), but it might be also that the scribe was skilled in Cyrillic, and used to write in Cyrillic. Sometimes such little things help in deciphering.

Wikipedia Drohobycz

Borysław
Borysław, wies, powiat Drohobycki, nad rzeka Tyśmienica, o 1 mile na poludniowy-zachod od Drohobycza, 343 metry nad powierzchnia morza. Kolej zelazna idzie z Drohobycza do Borysławia, jako galez kolei zelaznej naddniestrzanskiej (11 kilometrow dlugosci), umyslnie tylko do Borysławia poprowadzona; w tej wsi bowiem znajduja sie nadzwyczajnie obfite kopalnie nafty; ogromna ilosc przedsiebiorcow kopie wosk ziemny i olej kamienny w kilku tysiacach szybow: w 1870 roku bylo w Borysławiu i pobliskich wsiach: Tustanowice, Wolańka, Mroźnica, Schodnica, Orów i Nahujowice 4338 szybow, ktore, mozna powiedziec, co dnia sie mnoza ... etc. Ludnosc rzymsko-katolicka 1161, grecko-katolicka 660, wyrobnikow i slug 270, izraelczykow 3204, razem 5300. Nalezy do rzymsko-katolickiej parafii w Drohobyczu. ... (very interesting text and description)
//
Borysław, village, county Drohobycz, over the river Tyśmienica, about 1 mile south-west of Drohobycz, 343 meters above the surface of the sea. The railway goes from Drohobycz to Borysław as a branch of the railway Alongside-the-river-Dniestr [Transnistria] (11 kilometers in length) intentionally routed only to Borysław; because in this village there are extremely abundant mines of oil; a huge number of the entrepreneurs are digging mineral wax and oil stone in several thousand of shafts: in 1870, Borysław and nearby villages: Tustanowice, Wolańka, Mroźnica, Schodnica, Orów and Nahujowice, counted 4338 shafts, which number, you can tell, increases every day ... etc. The population: Roman Catholic 1161, Greek-Catholic 660, laborers and servants 270, Israelis 3204, all together 5300. It belongs to the Roman Catholic parish in Drohobycz. ...

On the map of Galicia you may see railway’s leg between Stryj and Chyrow, then near the station in Drohobycz, you can see a little branch going to Borysław

Let me correct some family names, adjusted with what I see, and checked if those are real names:

Best,
Elzbieta

NB.
The Galicia map provided by Dave is a real treasure, with railways, and names of railways lines:
LUDWIG: two branches Sokal – Jaroslaw – Rzeszow; and Brody - Przemysl – Jaroslaw
CZERNOWITZ: going from the south to Stanislawow, then continuing as LEMBERG to Lemberg (Lwow)
AUSTRIAN: going from the east through Stanislawow - Stryj - Lemberg (Lwow) – Rawa Ruska – Belzec
And the branch Stryj – Drohobycz – Sambor – Chyrow – Przemysl, then westward, Krakow and Vienna

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austriackie_Koleje_Pa%C5%84stwowe_(na_terenie_Galicji)
==

Elzbieta,

Thanks for the corrections to the surnames and village name. They've been corrected on the original post. When the handwriting on a record is not easy for me to read I usually have no problem with Latin words but do have difficulty with surnames.

If you've not used this site (maps.geshergalicia.org) for maps of Galicia, it may be of interest. It has MANY maps of Galicia including 1852 and 1942 Cadastral Maps of Przemysl and a map showing the deployment/battle lines of Austrian and Russian troops in the area of Przemysl at the beginning of WWI.

Hope your summer without a garden is going well.

Dave
Nellie444

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:27 pm      Post subject:

Thank you both Elzbieta and Dave for your input and information, I really appreciate it. I was told that the family lived in a farm house and had a grocery like store in Boryslav, which was ran by Antoni Janowski. Meanwhile, Maria Katherine (Antoni's wife) was becoming certified as a midwife (I'm not sure what the process was for that). They left Boryslav in 1906 to America, and while Maria Katherine's place of birth is recorded as Schodnica, Antoni's place of birth has been recorded as Yezupil (Jesupil), which seems to be a far way from Schodnica. Elzbieta, since you have ancestors in the same vicinity, do you have any recommendations for me? I always take all the help and advice I can get. Smile

Thank you both so much again.

dnowicki wrote:
Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:
Dave,
Nellie,

Wikipedia Drohobycz

Borysław
//

Best,
Elzbieta

NB.

==

Elzbieta,

Thanks for the corrections to the surnames and village name. They've been corrected on the original post. When the handwriting on a record is not easy for me to read I usually have no problem with Latin words but do have difficulty with surnames.

If you've not used this site (maps.geshergalicia.org) for maps of Galicia, it may be of interest. It has MANY maps of Galicia including 1852 and 1942 Cadastral Maps of Przemysl and a map showing the deployment/battle lines of Austrian and Russian troops in the area of Przemysl at the beginning of WWI.

Hope your summer without a garden is going well.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Bońkowski performs a Chodubski baptism

nercell wrote:
Hi Dave,

Much appreciated,

Nancy

Nancy,

I've determined the letters after the priest's name and by themselves they indicate nothing about whether or not he is the same Franciszek who was born in 1704. The first record in the series holds the key to determining the meaning of the letters. For future reference for you or for anyone posting 17th or 18th Century short paragraph Latin records----It makes it a lot easier to produce a better translation if the name of the parish is indicated as part of the translation request. That information is contained within the long paragraph Polish and Cyrillic civil registration records but not so in Latin records. Knowing the name of the parish which produced the record eliminates a lot of unnecessary research in order to remove the entry from a contextual no man's land and give it some context. This record is a case in point. After reading the entries which surround your record I've concluded that the parish of the baptism was, as far as I can tell, most likely Zuromin. That conclusion helps to make sense of the letters after the priest's name. Knowing the parish up front would have decreased the amount of time spent determining the meaning of those letters. It seems to me that in order to determine if this Franciszek and the one born in 1704 are the same individual it would be necessary to have some idea of his career path. According to the attached parish history, Michal Zamoyski provided for the Jesuits to establish a mission residence near the church building in 1718. There was a Jesuit presence in the parish until 1778 when Andrzej Zamoyski invited the Reformed Franciscans to staff the mission. All this is important as a clue to the identity of Franciszek who was both the parish curate and the superior of the religious community present in the parish. According to the Polish Wikipedia article on Zuromin when the Franciscans took over in 1778 the order had 13 priests, 7 clerics, and 3 brothers residing in the convent. It would have been a somewhat similar situation when the Jesuits were in residence. The head of either religious community (Jesuit or Franciscan) filled a double role. He was pastor of the parish and also superior of the religious community. The letters in the record reflect Franciszek's dual role as pastor and as superior of a religious community.

Anyway, here is the translation.

Dave

Latin Text: 16. Chudpki---493
Anno Domini 1774 die 6ta(?)* Martij Ego Franciscus Bonkowski C(uratus) L(oci) C(ommendarius) Z(urominiensis) baptisavi filiam nomine Franciscam nobilium Joannis Chodupski et Margarithae de Nicgorskie legitimorum conjugum Patrini fuerunt ad sacrum fontem nobilis Adalbertus Nicgorski cum Marianna Coniug...illegible.

Translation: 16 Chud(u)pki---493
In the year of our Lord 1774 on the 6th(?)* day of March I, Franciszek Bonkowski, curate of the place, superior of Zuromin, baptized a daughter of the legitimate marriage of the nobles Jan Chadupski and Malgorzata nee Nicgorska by the name of Franciszka. The sponsors at the sacred font were the noble Wojciech Nicgorski with Maryanna (probably the illegible words are "his consort").

Note: The Arabic numeral for the date is difficult to read with certitude. The number stands for a Latin ordinal number. Ordinal numbers in Latin are adjectives. In this case the adjective modifies the word for "day" (i.e. die). I base my opinion that it is the 6th of March on the letters after the numeral--"ta". The only Latin ordinal number which fits in with the records after this entry and ends in "ta" with a numeral resembling that which appears in the entry is sexta/sixth.

zuromin par. kat..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.44 KB

zuromin par. kat..JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 273, 274, 275  Next Page 106 of 275

Jump to: