PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:03 am      Post subject: Question about Russian spelling of Polish surnames

Hello all,

I have found a set of records from the Mormons online that cover the deanery my ancestors parish(es) and it goes from 1915 all the way back to 1796 (lots of films to skim through) Unfortunately after the year 1846 (from 1847 onward) they are all in Russian cursive. I cannot read Russian however, most years (especially the later years) have indexes in Russian so I can look for the last names by the first letter, however I have had a devil of a time making out Russian cursive, does anyone know of any aids or helps in trying to decipher this? My goal is to save all the birth marriage and death indexes find all with the surnames I am looking for (a master list if you will) then either submit them to a researcher to sift through them, or attempt to weed through each record in reference to known ancestors (in the instance of death records).

Two names would be Fronckiewicz and Michalkiewicz can anyone tell me the proper Russian for these names?? Thanks a million.

Hugh

Send e-mail
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:09 pm      Post subject:

ossnhughie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:31 pm      Post subject: thanks

Thanks Henryk.

Hugh

Send e-mail
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:40 pm      Post subject:

The soft pronunciation character "ь" is often at the end of a surname.
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:09 pm      Post subject: Henryk thank you

I had always tried to figure out what that lower case "b" looking symbol was. the ending Wicz i thought from looking at a Polish/cyrillic comparison table would be ВИЩ but it never appears with that ending. My goal is to look for the first letter in the name and then look for the -wicz ending, then look for the letters in between.

It's very dificult but one can get better with practice, the cursive cyrillic script is particullarly vexing.

Thanks again.

Hugh

Send e-mail
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:25 am      Post subject:

I use http://web.archive.org/web/20080708191315/http://www3.vistatech.net/~jack/russian.htm to find the surnames in the indexes. I have a cousin who translates for me. People submit records to Polish Origins for tranlations.

In the parishes, where I have researched, the Polish spellings of names are immediately after the name where it is written in Russian. In time, you will get enough practice to find figure them out easier. Smile I copy the record and crop out the names and have them printed and taped to a sheet with all my surnames in Polish and Russian.

Happy hunting,

Tina Ellis
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: