PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:57 pm      Post subject: Sowatzki

Can someone please help find information concerning my grandmother, and or any information about the family. My grandmother died when I was 7 months old and. My dad died when I was 9.

My grandmother was Charlotte Sowatzke. Born August 11, 1868 in Gross Potzdorf. Several other spellings are Zawatzki, Sawatzke, etc. She came to America in 1868 and married my grandfather, August Schalla, born August 1, 1860 in Geiserwald, Osterode. They married in Waukesha, WI April 14, 1889 (family Bible states April 14 1886).

From obituaries, her brothers were John (born June 21, 1853, son of John Sowatzke, Sr), GOttfried (born October 1,1858). November 15, 1879 he married Charlotte Bach and the next year they came to America. Fred Sowatzke, Novenber 11, 1850. He married Mary Schiller September, 1875 and came to America.

Can someone tell where or what I need to find out information about this family,
Thank you,
Lois
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:28 pm      Post subject: Sowatzki

Lois,

If you have the name of the church they were married in from the Bible, then contact them and ask them to check their records for the 2 possible dates you have listed. If you only know the denomination-then call all the churches in the town of Waukesha under that denomination. You can also check with the County recorders office that covers Waukesha for the record of their application for their marriage License.

Once you determine just where they were married, it is possible to request a "Record of the Marriage" for your genealogy file-however, it is best to request that they give you a digital photo of the Original record, as it may contain additional information that they will not think is important enough to list on the "Record of the Marriage." You may need to offer to visit and take your own camera to accomplish this task if you live close enough.

Inquire if they happen to have a 50, 75 or 100 year Anniversary Book of that Parish that you can make a donation for so you can buy a copy. I have found these books to have a wealth of great interest with the History of the Parish Church, photos of the Priests/Pastors who served at the time and may have actually married your relatives.

Many churches have Volunteer office workers and do not have extra staff to fulfill these type of requests, so it is suggestible to explain a bit about your project and why you are trying to learn more about your family, tell them that you understand that they may not be able to do the task of looking immediately, but let it be known that their record may give you information about your ancestor's origins and family names so you can continue your quest. Definitely do not make a request to them, when it is anytime near a major Church Holiday, as they will not have time to deal with it, and they may forget about it.
Lastly, if possible, it is kind to offer them a donation in memory your ancestor's, to thank them for assisting you in your important project.

I hope this helps-Good Luck,
MaryAnne
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:59 am      Post subject: Sowatzki

Lois,

I think you can do this without being a member, but I'm not sure. Go to Ancestry.com Click "Search Public member Trees" and put in the name "Caroline Sowatzke" b 1880
If it works, it will take you to a Public Member Tree. There are several listed but I chose the one that was named the "Schalla Sowatzke" Tree. Caroline's branch will come up-click on "FACTS" when you see it and click around and look for the "List Of People" Eventually you will find your Charlotte and August and lots of other relatives. When you see Owner: dalowa you can click on it and send a message to that person to make contact with them. If this doesn't work- let me know and I will send them a message and see if they reply. I have found that if someone posted their tree a long time ago, and have set their genealogy search aside, they may not reply, but we can try it.

MaryAnne
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:43 am      Post subject:

Lois,

As promised, one of our genealogists checked your case. Gross Potzdorf (today's Pacółtowo, here is the historical information about this place in Polish from The Geographical Dictionary of the Kingdom of Poland and other Slavic Countries: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_VII/810).

Pacółtowo belonged to protestant parish in Gierzwałd. The records are available in Olsztyn: http://www.szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=pac%C3%B3%C5%82towo, and they have the records for the years that you are interested in: 1830-1874.

You can contact Olsztyn Archives directly, they provide research on request (as most of the archives). Here are the contact details: http://www.olsztyn.ap.gov.pl/kontakt, and here is a discussion about writing to Polish archives: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=803#803 (you might find there some useful information or ask our forum members for help).

Of course you can also visit the archives during your genealogy tour. When only you will be ready to come, feel free to contact us, we will assist you with pleasure.

Aga
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: