PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:21 pm      Post subject:

andruch wrote:

Dave,
Here is the marriage record of Isidore and Irena.
Thank you in advance,
Mike

Mike,

This record causes a revision of the opinion about the birth record of Michał/Michael. Although it was possible that both sets of grandparents had the same given names, I believe that the entries of the names of his grandparents is incorrect and the names as recorded in this marriage record are the real deal. All the evidence which supports this opinion is circumstantial, but I find it convincing. Here are the points of evidence, which could be used to demonstrate the validity of the opinion that the birth record of Michał/Michael contains errors and that he is the son of the Izydor/Isidore and Katarzyna/Catherine in the 1912 marriage record:
1. These records are civil copies of the actual sacramental register and handwritten copies always admit of errors. That they are civil transcripts is evidenced by the fact that the records were filmed in the Ukrainian state archive in Ternopil. As is so often the case in records from Galicia, to obtain records prior to 1872 one must deal with the parish itself.
2. Michał/Michael’s birth took place about a year after the wedding.
3. The house where he was born is 136, which was the place of residence of his maternal grandfather, Grzegorz/Gregory since at least 1879 (the year of his marriage to Aleksanda/Alexandra Zbijaka). It was quite common for a young newly married couple to reside in the house of a parent---in this case the bride’s parents.

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year):
Col. 2: Year: 1912 Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): Die 15a Februarii = February 15, 1912
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the house: (Groom) 319; (Bride) 136
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Isidorus Jawny filius illegitimus Parascevae Jawny agricolae e Kolendziany = Izydor/Isidore Jawny, the illegitimate son of Paraskewy/Parascheva Jawny, a farmer from Kolendziany
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked (Greek Catholic)
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: Date of Birth:
Col. 3d: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3e: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 3f: Aetas = Age: 24
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Catharina Kłym filia Gregorii et Irenae Soroka agricolarum e Kolendziany = Katarzyna/Catherine Kłym, the daughter of Grzegorz/Gregory (Kłym) and Irena/Irene (nee) Soroka, farmers from Kolendziany
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion Col. 4b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked (Greek Catholic)
Col. 4b2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4c1: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4c2: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 4c3: Aetas = Age: 18
Col. 5: TESTES = WITNESSES:
Col. 5a: Nomina = Names: Blank
Col. 5b: Conditio = Blank
Final entry: (Deals with legalities): First note (in Ukrainian) is the father (Gregory) giving his permission for his daughter to marry.
Second note (In Latin): Proclamatis bannis die 29 Januarii, 5. 12 Februarii 1912; benedixit hiuc matrimonio Theodorus ???wicz parochus loci= The banns were proclaimed in the 29th day of January (and) the 5th (and) the 12th of February 1912; Teodor/Theodore ???wicz, the pastor of the place, blessed this marriage.

The next records to search for would be the birth & baptism records of Izydor/Isidore and of Katarzyna/Catherine (as well as any siblings of Katarzyna/Catherine.

The death record(s) will be translated tomorrow.

Hope this helps to move your research forward.

Dave
andruch
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:17 am      Post subject:

How you got something from that chicken scratch is simply amazing!

dnowicki wrote:
Izydor/Isidore Jawny, the illegitimate son of Paraskewy/Parascheva Jawny, a farmer from Kolendziany

So I'm back to not having a father for Isidore? He took his mother's last name of Jawnyj?

dnowicki wrote:
The next records to search for would be the birth & baptism records of Izydor/Isidore and of Katarzyna/Catherine (as well as any siblings of Katarzyna/Catherine.

Fortunately those years are available.

Thank you for the translation!
Mike

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 5.18.29 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.3 KB
 Viewed:  9424 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 5.18.29 AM.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:31 am      Post subject:

andruch wrote:
How you got something from that chicken scratch is simply amazing!

dnowicki wrote:
Izydor/Isidore Jawny, the illegitimate son of Paraskewy/Parascheva Jawny, a farmer from Kolendziany

So I'm back to not having a father for Isidore? He took his mother's last name of Jawnyj?

dnowicki wrote:

Fortunately those years are available.

Thank you for the translation!
Mike

Mike,

Without a real stroke of luck his father may never be known. When a child was illegitimate the father's name does not usually appear in birth records. An exception is if the father came in at the time of the baptism and specifically acknowledged the child as his. In that case the statement acknowledging the child is entered into the birth record. It may be that everyone in the village knew who the father was but that sort of evidence was not admissible since it falls under the category of hearsay. If there is any hope of learning his father's name the birth record will tell. Otherwise, unless there is a currently living relative who knows the name of the father it could very well fall into the category of unknowable data. Unless the father acknowledged the child as his and specifically asked that his surname be given to the child the recorded surname was that of the mother.

Here's hoping the long shot pays off and the father acknowledged him at the time of this baptism. Only time and additional records will tell.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:46 pm      Post subject: Re: Death Record

andruch wrote:
I could also use help with determine the name in this death record.
Thank you,
Mike

EDIT: I think there is no name and it says that it was stillborn.

Mike,

Yes, the child was a stillborn male.

Even though Alexandra is not direct ancestor, her death record appears on this same page. She died of puerperal fever aka child-bed fever. This fever could be one of several types of fever which occurred following childbirth, in which the mother contracted an infectious disease. If that infection spread to the blood, septicemia (blood poisoning) sometimes occurred and was often fatal, as was the case here.

Here are the two records.

Dave

Stillborn boy

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: Cut off
Col. 2: Annus Domini = Year of Our Lord: 1882 Mensis = Month: Decembris = December Dies Mortis = Date of Death: 12 Dies Sepult(us) = Date of Burial: 13
Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number 136
Col. 4: NOMEN MORTUI = NAME OF THE DECEASED: Mortus natus filius Gregorii Kłym et Alexandrae natae Zabijaka agricolarum Kolendzianensium = Stillborn (literally: born dead) son of Grzegorz/Gregory Kłym and Aleksandra/Alexandra nee Zabijanka, farmers in Kolendziany
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Aut alia = or another: Blank Col. 6: Sexus = Gender/Sex
Col. 6a: Mascul. = Male: Checked
Col. 6b: Faemina = Female: Blank
Col. 7: Dies Vitae = Days of Life/Age: Blank
Col. 8: MORBUS et QUALITAS MORBI = DISEASE and TYPE OF DISEASE: Blank

Final Notation: Inscripsi Victor Czaplinski g. c. parochus Kolendzianensis = I, Wiktor/Victor Czaplinski, the Greek Catholic pastor of Kolendziany, wrote this.

Alexandra nee Zabijanka Kłym

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: Cut off
Col. 2: Annus Domini = Year of Our Lord: 1882 Mensis = Month: Decembris = December Dies Mortis = Date of Death: 21 Dies Sepult(us) = Date of Burial: 23
Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 136
Col. 4: NOMEN MORTUI = NAME OF THE DECEASED: Alexandra uxor Gregorii Kłym agricolae Kolendzianensis nata Zabijaka vixit in (cut off) = Aleksandra/Alexandra nee Zabijaka, the wife of Grzegorz/Gregory Kłym, a farmer in Kolendziany; she lived in (cut off)
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Aut alia = or another: Blank Col. 6: Sexus = Gender/Sex
Col. 6a: Mascul. = Male: Blank
Col. 6b: Faemina = Female: Checked
Col. 7: Dies Vitae = Days of Life/Age: 24 annorum = 24 years
Col. 8: MORBUS et QUALITAS MORBI = DISEASE and TYPE OF DISEASE: pro partu febris = fever from having given birth/puerperal fever/child-bed fever.
andruch
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:32 pm      Post subject:

Thank you, Dave. I did see Alexandra's death record and assumed she died from complications from child birth. Matrona and Gregorii lost 3 young children. I was very saddened to learn of the many premature deaths in my family.
nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:16 pm      Post subject: 1674 tax records

Hi Dave,

Working with a cell phone-need a new computer-hopefully this screenshot will be adequate.

When time allows a translation of the preface, to these wonderful records from the Agad in Warsaw!

Hope all is well,
Nancy

Screenshot_20161024-000518.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  594.5 KB

Screenshot_20161024-000518.png

starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:58 pm      Post subject:

Please help me translate this 1807 death record for Andreas Chalupczak (Chalupka?) from Mogielnica in Leg Probostwo parish.

1807-mogielnica.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  326.64 KB

1807-mogielnica.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:22 pm      Post subject: Re: 1674 tax records

nercell wrote:
Hi Dave,

Working with a cell phone-need a new computer-hopefully this screenshot will be adequate.

When time allows a translation of the preface, to these wonderful records from the Agad in Warsaw!

Hope all is well,
Nancy

Nancy,

The text in the image of the screen shot is too small to be legible. I can’t read what I can’t see and cannot translate what I am unable to read. My eyesight is not what it used to be. Screen shots and images of text taken with a digital camera often leave much to be desired in regard to legibility and as time goes by I no longer have the patience to spend a large amount of time trying to read text which is small and/or less than minimally clear.
Sorry,
Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:26 pm      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Please help me translate this 1807 death record for Andreas Chalupczak (Chalupka?) from Mogielnica in Leg Probostwo parish.

Starshadow,

The spelling of some words varies from proper contemporary spelling---nothing at all out of the ordinary. Some words are entered as contractions---again, nothing unusual.
Hope this clarifies the text.
Dave
Latin Text: Mogilnica
1807 D(ie) 26 Junij obijt in D(omi)no LL.* Andreas Chałupka anno aetatis suae circiter 80 Sacramentis o(mni)bus munitus sepultus in caemeterio versus occassum**.
Translation: Mogi(e)lnica
On the 26th day of June 1807 the industrious* Andrzej Chałupka, in about the 80th year of his life, fortified by all the Sacraments, died; he was buried in the cemetery toward the setting (of the sun)** [i.e. the West].
Notes: * LL: an abbreviation for laboriosus/industrious, an adjective used to describe a peasant.
**occassum (should actually be spelled occasum) solis/of the sun is understood. The phrase indicates that he was buried in the western portion of the cemetery.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:56 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Dave!
ksmets
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 pm      Post subject: Transcription of Testimonium ortus et baptismi

Hello dear friends at PolishOrigins,

A relative sent me a copy of a "Testimonium ortus et baptismi," which I' understand gives evidence of birth and baptism. I am having trouble with some of the handwriting, so would love a second opinion.

Much appreciated!

Kristine

Republica Polinia.
Palatinatus: Krakow
Districtus: Dabrowa
Nrus: 78
Diocesis: [???]
Decanatus: Dabr[owa]
Parochia: Boles[law]
Testimonium Ortus et Baptismi [EVIDENCE OF BIRTH AND BAPTISM]
Officum parochiale ecclesiae in Boleslaw omnibus et sin[…] quorum interest aut interesse poterit, praesentibus testator, in libro metrices baptisatorum pro [ill.] Kanna destinato, tomo II pag. 19, Nro ser 12 sequentia re […] “Anno Domini Millesimo octingentessimo septuagesimo tertio hoc est 1873 die decima septima (17) mensis Juni nata in Kanna Nrd 30, et die eadem ab [illegible] baptisata.
Nomen baptisata [name of the baptized]: Maria
Religio: Rom-cathol.
Sexus: Feminiu
Thorus: legitim.
Parentes [parents]: Pater [father]: Paulus Gondek, agric. jilius Joannis et Mariae natae Woźniak [Paul Gondek, farmer, son of Jan and Maria, born Woźniak]
Mater [mother]: Catharina filia Francisci Mikuta et Mariae natae Kozioł [Katarzyna, daughter of Franciszek Mikuta and Maria, born Kozioł].
Patrini [godparents]: Laurentius Lozek et Maria [???], agric. [Lorenz Lozek and Maria [???], farmers.
Obstetrix [midwife]: Helena Szara.

BREC020 Maria Gondek001.jpg
 Description:
The copy I received unfortunately is a bit cropped on the right side
 Filesize:  1.35 MB

BREC020 Maria Gondek001.jpg

Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Transcription of Testimonium ortus et baptismi

ksmets wrote:
Hello dear friends at PolishOrigins,

A relative sent me a copy of a "Testimonium ortus et baptismi," which I' understand gives evidence of birth and baptism. I am having trouble with some of the handwriting, so would love a second opinion.

Much appreciated!

Kristine

Republica Polinia.
Palatinatus: Krakow
Districtus: Dabrowa
Nrus: 78
Diocesis: [???]
Decanatus: Dabr[owa]
Parochia: Boles[law]
Testimonium Ortus et Baptismi [EVIDENCE OF BIRTH AND BAPTISM]
Officum parochiale ecclesiae in Boleslaw omnibus et sin[…] quorum interest aut interesse poterit, praesentibus testator, in libro metrices baptisatorum pro [ill.] Kanna destinato, tomo II pag. 19, Nro ser 12 sequentia re […] “Anno Domini Millesimo octingentessimo septuagesimo tertio hoc est 1873 die decima septima (17) mensis Juni nata in Kanna Nrd 30, et die eadem ab [illegible] baptisata.
Nomen baptisata [name of the baptized]: Maria
Religio: Rom-cathol.
Sexus: Feminiu
Thorus: legitim.
Parentes [parents]: Pater [father]: Paulus Gondek, agric. jilius Joannis et Mariae natae Woźniak [Paul Gondek, farmer, son of Jan and Maria, born Woźniak]
Mater [mother]: Catharina filia Francisci Mikuta et Mariae natae Kozioł [Katarzyna, daughter of Franciszek Mikuta and Maria, born Kozioł].
Patrini [godparents]: Laurentius Lozek et Maria [???], agric. [Lorenz Lozek and Maria [???], farmers.
Obstetrix [midwife]: Helena Szara.

Kristine,

The title of the document tells you what it is: Testimonium ortus et baptismi = Certificate (i.e. Testimony) of birth and baptism. Certificates are documents issued to certify that the information they contain is a true and accurate transcription of the data found in a given register. Here are some additions/corrections to what you transcribed:
Respublica Polonia = The Republic of Poland (The title tells you that the certificate was issued after Poland regained independence post WWI.)
Palatinatus Krakow = Wojewodztwo of Krakow
Districtus = powiat
Numerus 78 = Certificate number 78 (issued that year)
Diocesis: Tarnow = The diocese of Tarnow

Officium parochiale (the parish office) is the subject of the main clause of the sentence. The main verb of which it is the subject is testatur. The verb testor, testari is a deponent verb, which means it "lays aside" the active voice endings and uses the passive voice endings in their place. Testatur is the 3rd Person Singular of the Present Tense. Thus the main clause is translated as "The parish office of the church in Boleslaw attests by the present document (prasentibus) to all and sundry (omnibus et singulis) to whom it concerns or may concern. Then the what to which the document attests is found in what in grammatical terms is called "Indirect Discourse" which in Latin is expressed by the Accusative with the Infinitive (sequentia reperiri). Sequentia is the Accusative (the following [information, understood]) and reperiri is the Present Passive Infinitive (is found). The word after "pro" is Pago and means "for the village of...). The illegible after "ab" is R(everen)do Jos(pho) followed by an illegible surname, Coop(erator) loci = by the Reverend Jozef (illegible surname), assistant (priest) of the place. Nrd 30 = Numero domus 30 which means "in house number 30. Notice the doted lines in the background of the date in words and in Arabic numerals---it is a type of security device meant to prevent someone from erasing the info and changing it. A letter is cut off from the word "Juni" which should read "Junii/of June. A word after "baptisata" is cut off---"est". The text should read baptisata est = was baptized
Here is the translation of this preliminary statement:
"The parish office of the church in Boleslaw attests to all and sundry whom it concerns or may concern by the present document that in the baptismal register designated for the village of Kanna in Volume II, page 19, number 72 is found the following: "In the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred Seventy-Three, that is 1873 on the seventeenth (17) day of the month of June was born in Kanna in house number 30 and was baptized on the same day by the Reverend Jozef ???, assistant (priest) of this place....(In the columns follows the important info.)

Nomen baptisata reads Nome baptisati = Name of the one baptized
Sexus Feminiu reads Sexus Feminina = of the Female sex/gender
Thorus legitim(us): The legitimate (marital) bed is attesting that the child was legitimate

The name of the father (Paulus) is Pawel in Polish "jilius" should be filius
Patrini are commonly called "godparents" but are technically "sponsors" which is what patrini actually means. The usual Polish for Laurentius is either Wawrzyniec or Laurencjusz. I see the surname of the female sponsor as Lis.

The standard concluding statement is cut off in the posted image. It normally reads: "In quorum fidem testimonialibus literis sigillo ecclesiae munitis manu propria subscribo...Datum...
This statement states that the priest who issued the certificate is substantiating the info by signing and affixing the parish seal to the document. This statement would contain the date when the certificate was issued.

A few comments regarding verbs in Latin documents such as this one...Since these documents are reporting past events, the tense of the verbs used is usually the Perfect and the Person is usually either the First or the Third Person Singular. The sentences are simple declarative sentences. The Mood is almost always the Indicative. The Voice is usually Active, but sometimes the Passive Voice is used. However, in introductory or closing statements the rules of Latin grammar often require other tenses and moods---especially in the case of complex sentences which contain subordinate clauses. The good news is that usually it is not necessary to have an understanding of Latin verbs to deal with what is found in the document---especially since preliminary and concluding statements don't contain the important genealogical information.

I'm sure this explanation contains a lot of info you never wanted to know---like explanations of Latin grammar---but you never know when that sort of stuff may come in handy...especially if you ever want to converse with a long dead Roman.

Seriously, I hope it helps you.

Dave
mestanton

Replies: 212

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:35 pm      Post subject: Jan Ustymecki Birth 1799, Katarzyna Tyszka Birth 1789

Hello, Dave,

Having just had the 1818 marriage of well-born Jan Ustymecki and Katarzyna Tyszka translated on Polish Origins, I knew that they both had to provide birth certificates from their parishes of origin. I found them in Aneksy małżeństw in Bogurzyn parish records. Please translate them for me, and if possible explain the different ways that people are described with terms generous, magnificent, and noble.

Marilyn

Katarzyna Tyszka Birth Cerifcate 1789 in 1818.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.11 MB

Katarzyna Tyszka Birth Cerifcate 1789 in 1818.jpg

Jan Ustymecki 1789 Birth Certificate of 1818.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  700.97 KB

Jan Ustymecki 1789 Birth Certificate of 1818.jpg

fopuszyn

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:09 pm      Post subject: Agnes Kostrzewska d.1815

Hi

Attached is the 1815 death record of a Agnes Kostrzewska from village Wielickie Romonki parish Wielgie (near Lipno).

Her parents were Jacob Kostzrewski and Bogmilla. (born Milewska?)

I believe Agnes was sister of my 3G GF Wojciech Kostrzewski.

Does record indicate age of Agnes at time of death?

Many thanks

Frank

TA Kostrzewska, Agnes d.1815 (post-processed).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB

TA Kostrzewska, Agnes d.1815 (post-processed).jpg

nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:18 pm      Post subject: Thank you Dave

Greetings from Poland, Dave.

I will resubmit a better copy of my record once I return home.

As always thanks for your time,

Nancy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 115 of 274

Jump to: