PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:51 pm      Post subject: Socha Konin-Polska

Please help in finding the brothers and the family of my great-grandfather
emigrated to the US or Canady at the beginning of the twentieth century , I do not know the exact date - three brothers
Andrzej Socha born in 1871 Lichen, Joseph Socha born in 1873 Lichen - Grablin ,Stephen Socha born in 1877 Lichen - Grablin
Wladyslaw Socha born in 1884 Rudzica sons Francis and Marianna zd.Majdzi

504615_01665437k5uw43476s2o9b.jpg
 Description:
wladyslaw
 Filesize:  79.94 KB
 Viewed:  4006 Time(s)

504615_01665437k5uw43476s2o9b.jpg

Last edited by mariusz socha on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:26 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Can you tell me the province and county of their village? There are many people with the name Socha who immigrated to the US and Canada. There also seems to be multiple villages of the same name.

Thank you.
Cynthia
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2787

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:19 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

Can you tell me the province and county of their village? There are many people with the name Socha who immigrated to the US and Canada. There also seems to be multiple villages of the same name.

Thank you.
Cynthia

Cynthia,

Presently both villages are in Wielkopolskie, powiat Koninski. However, in the late 19th Century they were part of the Kingdom of Poland (Krolestwo Polskie) aka Russian Poland. They were in Gubierna Kaliska, Powiat Koninski cf. attached map. Bersides the names of the two villages names which could possibly appear on a passenger manifest or other documents as places of origin would be Kalisz, Konin or Kramsk.

Hope this helps.

Dave

21.Koninski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.3 KB
 Viewed:  4006 Time(s)

21.Koninski.jpg

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:31 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information. This is very helpful as I sortt through all the Ancestry.com data.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:13 am      Post subject:

Hello Mariusz,

I think I found Jozef Socha. I searched Ancestry.com and found:
passenger list for 1893
naturalization papers for USA 1920
US census records for 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940
Military draft registration for WWI

Jozef Socha arrived in Baltimore Maryland, USA, on 20 Jul 1893. He was 20 years old and single. His last residence on the passenger list was Kalisz (RUssian) Poland. Jozef married sometime between 1893-1900 and his wife's name was Mary. They had 2 daughters: Frances born 4 Aug 1901 and Helen born 15 Jun 1903. They lived in Baltimore Maryland. His wife died sometime between 1910-1918 and Jozef remarried. He had another daughter, Josephine born 6 Dec 1920. When Jozef arrived in the US, his occupation was listed as "smith". He later worked in Baltimore as a machinist, and was owning his own home by 1930. His citizenship papers describe Jozef as having brown hair, dark complexion, 5 feet 5 inches tall, 150 lbs., grey eyes, and having a mole over his right eye. His birth date on all documents is 13 Feb 1873. His application for citizenship stated his birth place was Konin Kalisz, but his final citizenship papers say he was born in Goslawise (or Goslawice?).

I have not yet found any information about his death, but he was 66 years old when the census was taken in 1940.

I will look at another time to see if I an find any information on the other brothers.

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: