PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:43 am      Post subject: locating hereditary estate Hubicz in Troki County

Hello my PO friends,

I have been lucky enough to have had great luck with my researcher in Vilnius, she has found a number of pages of nobility documents pertaining to my noble line of Radzimina-Frackiewicz h. Brodzic. It even lists a hereditary estate on which smoke taxes/chimney taxes were paid 9 August 1794, 22 June 1798 and 1 March 1803. Not sure what these smoke taxes were.

These were paid for the estate called Hubicz in the Troki district. Is there anyone here who could potentially help find this place, or perhaps knows where such information may be found.

Thanks again, this community is of such great knowledge and help.

Hugh

Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:56 am      Post subject:

Hello Hugh,
I had no luck in finding Hubicz estate, i mean, there is no info on internet. So either it was wrongly translated, or it is so small that not even evidenced. You would have to open some detailed map sheets of Troki area and look for it. Anyway, Hubicz for me sounds like surname.

Regarding smoke tax, its well known Podymne https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Encyklopedia_staropolska/Podymne
When having house with chimney, it also was producing smoke that was exhausted from it. Hence the name. The more chimneys in the house (eg. manors, castles) the wealthier owner and bigger tax.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: