PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 273, 274, 275  Next
Author

Replies: 212

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:05 pm      Post subject: Józef Cichowlas Birth 1809

Dave,

Please translate this Piaski parish birth record of Józef Cichowlas the son of Jan and Maryanna from Skotniki Zabłotne. What is the word, starting with C after his baptized first name? I have previously submitted his death record of 1819.

Thank you,

Marilyn

Józef Cichowlas Birth 1809.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.9 MB
 Viewed:  9730 Time(s)

Józef Cichowlas Birth 1809.jpg

Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:55 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Records

dnowicki wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
Hi Dave,

I have been able to muddle through and figure out some of the recent records that I have found, but I have three that I am having trouble with and could use help in translating. They are all Marriage Records. (The first one has 3 that are all relevant)

As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Here are the first three marriage records. I find the priest's handwriting difficult to read and can read the Latin without too much difficulty but cannot read some surnames and place names. Since you are more familiar with the people and places hopefully you'll get a better reading on those.

Perhaps a word which may have been causing you difficulty could be "obdormiti". It is the Perfect Participle of the verb obdormio which means "to fall asleep". It is a euphemism for "deceased" which we render in English as "the late". It was a favored "churchy" expression which in full form would be "obdormitus in Domino" which would be translated as "having fallen asleep in the Lord."

The remaining translations will follow in a day or two.

Dave

As alwaysDave, thank you for your assistance. You seem to be having the same problem with the handwriting that I am. I appreciate the explanation for obdormiti - that was something that I was unsure about.

Again, thank you.

Mike
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2791

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Records

Mrudnik wrote:
Hi Dave,

I have been able to muddle through and figure out some of the recent records that I have found, but I have three that I am having trouble with and could use help in translating. They are all Marriage Records. (The first one has 3 that are all relevant)

Mike

Mike,

Here are the next two marriage records. The handwriting is much better but I'm still not really sure of the spelling of some surnames. I just don't have enough experience with surnames from that region to be confident about the spelling. The baptism record will follow tomorrow.

Dave

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year):
Col. 2: Year at top: 1839 Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): Die 7a Novembris 839 = November 7, (1)839
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: (from) 80 (to) 38
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Basilius Watral filius Eliae Watral et Mariae natae de patre Joanne Pykno? et Theodosia ex Fedoraki in Grąziowo Pyknowa* = Bazili/Basil Watral, the son of Eliasz/Elias Watral and of Maria born of the father Jan/John Pynko? and Teodozja/Theodosia Pynkowa* from Fedoraki in Grąziowo
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 3e: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3f: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Theodosia Hyržakowa* uxor olim obdormiti Jacobi Hyržak filia Alexii Hry?iow et Mariae natae de patre Gregorio Czupłak et Anna ex Zuhary? Czupłakowa* = Teodozja/Theodosia Hyržakowa* formerly the wife of the late Jakub/Jacob Hyržak, the daughter of Aleksy Hry?iow and of Maria born of the father Grzegorz/Gregory Czupłak and of Anna Czupłakowa* from Zuhary?
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 39
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Blank
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Checked
Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Alexius Watral, Thomas Kot, agricolae hujus loci = Aleksy Watral, Tomasz/Thomas Kot, farmers of this place

Note: * The suffix -owa indicates “wife of...”

Col. 2: Year at top: Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): Die 13 Novembris 853 = November 13, 1853
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: Sponsi 54; Sponsae 108 = Of the Groom: 54; Of the Bride: 108
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Paulus filius legitimus Stephani Potoczniak agricolae e Dmiestrzyk et Helenae de patre Lesio Roman = Pawel/Paul, the legitimate son of Stefan/Szczepan/Stephen Potoczniak, a farmer from Dniestrzyk, and of Helen (born) of the father Leszek Roman
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 33
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Parascevia filia legitima Joannis Potoczniak et Mariae de Chnidiakowyj(?) = Paraskewa/Parascheva, the legitimate daughter of Jan/John Potoczniak and of Maria from Chnidiakowyj(?)
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 25
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Gregorius Wasylejko(?) agricola Dniestr(zyk); Joannes Sass agricola Dniestr(zyk) = Grzegorz/Gregory Wasylejko(?), a farmer from Dniestrzyk; Jan/John Sass, a farmer from Dniestrzyk

Top & bottom notations state that this is a true copy of the entry on Page 34 of the Marriage Register.
Mrudnik

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:43 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Records

dnowicki wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
Hi Dave,

Mike

Mike,

Here are the next two marriage records. The handwriting is much better but I'm still not really sure of the spelling of some surnames. I just don't have enough experience with surnames from that region to be confident about the spelling. The baptism record will follow tomorrow.

Dave

Col. 2: Year at top: 1839 Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): Die 7a Novembris 839 = November 7, (1)839
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: (from) 80 (to) 38
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Basilius Watral filius Eliae Watral et Mariae natae de patre Joanne Pykno? et Theodosia ex Fedoraki in Grąziowo Pyknowa* = Bazili/Basil Watral, the son of Eliasz/Elias Watral and of Maria born of the father Jan/John Pynko? and Teodozja/Theodosia Pynkowa* from Fedoraki in Grąziowo
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Theodosia Hyržakowa* uxor olim obdormiti Jacobi Hyržak filia Alexii Hry?iow et Mariae natae de patre Gregorio Czupłak et Anna ex Zuhary? Czupłakowa* = Teodozja/Theodosia Hyržakowa* formerly the wife of the late Jakub/Jacob Hyržak, the daughter of Aleksy Hry?iow and of Maria born of the father Grzegorz/Gregory Czupłak and of Anna Czupłakowa* from Zuhary?
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 39
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Blank
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Checked
Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Alexius Watral, Thomas Kot, agricolae hujus loci = Aleksy Watral, Tomasz/Thomas Kot, farmers of this place

Note: * The suffix -owa indicates “wife of...”

Col. 2: Year at top: Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): Die 13 Novembris 853 = November 13, 1853
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: Sponsi 54; Sponsae 108 = Of the Groom: 54; Of the Bride: 108
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Paulus filius legitimus Stephani Potoczniak agricolae e Dmiestrzyk et Helenae de patre Lesio Roman = Pawel/Paul, the legitimate son of Stefan/Szczepan/Stephen Potoczniak, a farmer from Dniestrzyk, and of Helen (born) of the father Leszek Roman
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 33
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Parascevia filia legitima Joannis Potoczniak et Mariae de Chnidiakowyj(?) = Paraskewa/Parascheva, the legitimate daughter of Jan/John Potoczniak and of Maria from Chnidiakowyj(?)
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 25
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Gregorius Wasylejko(?) agricola Dniestr(zyk); Joannes Sass agricola Dniestr(zyk) = Grzegorz/Gregory Wasylejko(?), a farmer from Dniestrzyk; Jan/John Sass, a farmer from Dniestrzyk

Top & bottom notations state that this is a true copy of the entry on Page 34 of the Marriage Register.

Thank You Dave. You have been very helpful as always.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Record

Mrudnik wrote:
I also have a Birth record that I need assistance in translating. There seems to be more here than what I am used to seeing.

As always, thank you for any assistance.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Here is the birth, baptism, and confirmation of Jerzy/George Karpa. Again, I'm not certain of the spelling of some of the proper nouns.

The midwife, Tatiana, was named for an early Roman martyr who was considered a saint by both the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches. At the time of this record there was only one Saint Tatiana but now the Orthodox Church also venerates as saints a number of 20th Century women named Tatiana, beginning with the famous Tatiana Romanov, daughter of the last czar, Nicholas II. The Catholic Church, however, still only venerates the early Roman martyr Tatiana---just a kind of interesting bit of historical trivia.

Hope this helps the progress of your research.

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus Serialis = Number in order: 5
Col. 2: 1859 Mensis = 1859 Month:
Col. 2a: Natus = Of birth: 29 Aprilis = April 29
Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of baptism: 29 Aprilis = April 29
Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 45
Col. 4: NOMEN = NAME (of person baptized): Georgius = Jerzy/George
Col. 5a: Religio Catholica = Catholic Religion: Checked
Col. 5b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Blank
Col. 7: Thori = Of the (marital) bed
Col. 7a: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: Pater = The Father: Stephanus Karpa agr(icola) hujus pagi fil(ius) leg(itimus Theodori Karpa et Helenae de patre Gregorio J?kas(?) atque matre Anna de Tonpuzakowyje Chaszczów = Stefan/Szczepan/Stephen Karpa, a farmer of this village, the legitimate son of Teodor/Theodore Karpa and of Helena, (born) of the father Grzegorz/Gregory J?kas(?) and of the mother Anna from Tonpuzakowyje Chaszczów(?)
Col. 8b: Mater = The Mother: Ecatherina fil(ia) Leg(itima) Joannis Roman agricola hujus pagi et Pelagia de Eliae Watral natae = Katarzyna/Catherine, the legitimate daughter of Jan/John Roman, a farmer of this village, and of Pelagia born of Eliasz/Elias Watral
Col. 9: PATRINI et eorum conditio; NOMEN = THE SPONSORS and their status/condition/occupation; NAME(S): Gregorius Wasylejko agr(icola) hujus pagi Eva uxor Stephani Bogdan agricolae e Rysriany = Grzegorz/Gregory Wasylejko, a farmer of this village; Ewa/Eve, the wife of Stefan/Szczepan/Stephen Bogdan, farmers from Rysriany

Notations: Obst(etrix) Tatianna Moczarska = The midwife was Tatianna Moczarska.
Baptisavit et confirmavit Paulus Podłuski capell(anus) loc(i) in Dniestrzyk Hołowecki = Pawel/Paul Podłuski, the chaplain of the place in Dniestrzyk Hołowecki, baptized and confirmed (him).
Mrudnik

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:43 am      Post subject: Re: Birth Record

dnowicki wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
I also have a Birth record that I need assistance in translating. There seems to be more here than what I am used to seeing.

As always, thank you for any assistance.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Here is the birth, baptism, and confirmation of Jerzy/George Karpa. Again, I'm not certain of the spelling of some of the proper nouns.

The midwife, Tatiana, was named for an early Roman martyr who was considered a saint by both the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches. At the time of this record there was only one Saint Tatiana but now the Orthodox Church also venerates as saints a number of 20th Century women named Tatiana, beginning with the famous Tatiana Romanov, daughter of the last czar, Nicholas II. The Catholic Church, however, still only venerates the early Roman martyr Tatiana---just a kind of interesting bit of historical trivia.

Hope this helps the progress of your research.

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus Serialis = Number in order: 5
Col. 2: 1859 Mensis = 1859 Month:
Col. 2a: Natus = Of birth: 29 Aprilis = April 29
Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of baptism: 29 Aprilis = April 29
Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 45
Col. 4: NOMEN = NAME (of person baptized): Georgius = Jerzy/George
Col. 5a: Religio Catholica = Catholic Religion: Checked
Col. 5b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Blank
Col. 7: Thori = Of the (marital) bed
Col. 7a: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: Pater = The Father: Stephanus Karpa agr(icola) hujus pagi fil(ius) leg(itimus Theodori Karpa et Helenae de patre Gregorio J?kas(?) atque matre Anna de Tonpuzakowyje Chaszczów = Stefan/Szczepan/Stephen Karpa, a farmer of this village, the legitimate son of Teodor/Theodore Karpa and of Helena, (born) of the father Grzegorz/Gregory J?kas(?) and of the mother Anna from Tonpuzakowyje Chaszczów(?)
Col. 8b: Mater = The Mother: Ecatherina fil(ia) Leg(itima) Joannis Roman agricola hujus pagi et Pelagia de Eliae Watral natae = Katarzyna/Catherine, the legitimate daughter of Jan/John Roman, a farmer of this village, and of Pelagia born of Eliasz/Elias Watral
Col. 9: PATRINI et eorum conditio; NOMEN = THE SPONSORS and their status/condition/occupation; NAME(S): Gregorius Wasylejko agr(icola) hujus pagi Eva uxor Stephani Bogdan agricolae e Rysriany = Grzegorz/Gregory Wasylejko, a farmer of this village; Ewa/Eve, the wife of Stefan/Szczepan/Stephen Bogdan, farmers from Rysriany

Notations: Obst(etrix) Tatianna Moczarska = The midwife was Tatianna Moczarska.
Baptisavit et confirmavit Paulus Podłuski capell(anus) loc(i) in Dniestrzyk Hołowecki = Pawel/Paul Podłuski, the chaplain of the place in Dniestrzyk Hołowecki, baptized and confirmed (him).

Thank You Dave. It is very helpful as always.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:15 pm      Post subject: Re: Józef Cichowlas Birth and Death

mestanton wrote:
Dave,

Please help me with translating especially the dates in these registers of my direct ancestor's brother Józef. The birth record is year? 14th of March I Józef Wypijewski of Piaski parish baptized infant Józef of laborer and legitimate Jan and Maryanna Cichowlas of Skotniki Zabłotne. Sponsors Adam Stupucak? of Głembok and Hadigis Kmiet of Bachorce.

The death record, however, is more difficult, especially the part about the death at the end. Does it give the maiden name of the mother as Maryanna Kmiec? Cause of death?

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn.

You did quite well in translating the birth record but it does need some adjustments. The child's name is Josephatus (Józefat in Polish; Josaphat in English) rather that Józef. St. Josaphat was an Eastern Rite (Greek Catholic) bishop from the 16th Century. The name Josaphat was more commonly found in the eastern parts of Poland than in the western areas. Although the two names are quite similar, they are distinct given names. Laboriosus/industrious is an adjective which described a person's social status as a peasant and in such records it is used in that technical sense. The year of birth is 1802.
The 1809 birth and 1819 death of the boy named Józef go together and the translation of both will follow tomorrow.
Anyway, here is the birth/baptism record.

Dave

Bapt. Jόzefat Cichowlas
Latin Text: Martius
Left Margin: Skotniki Zabłotnie
Body: Anno Domini Millesimo Octingentesimo 2do (i.e. secondo) die 14 Martij Ego Josephus Wypiewski parochus Piascensis baptisavi infantum Josephatum laboriosorum* ac legitimorum parentum Joannis et Mariannae Cichowlas de Skotniki Zabłotnie. Patrini fuere Adamus Stupniak de Głembokie et Hedvigis Kmielka de Bachorcie.
Translation: Latin Text: March
Body: On the 14th day of March in the One Thousand Eight Hundred Second Year of Our Lord I, Jozef Wypiewski, pastor of Piaski, baptized the child Jόzefat (born) of the industrious* and legitimate parents Jan and Maryanna Cichowlas from Skotniki Zabłotnie. The sponsors were Adam Stupniak from Głembokie and Jadwiga Kmielka from Bachorcie.
Note: *laboriosus/industrious: adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant.
nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:14 am      Post subject: Nadratowski 1734

Thank you Dave for your recent translations of Chodubski records.

Re: Marriage of Szymon Nadratowski and Teresa Chodubska- Translation please of the notation in the margin as well as the words following Nicgorski.

Appreciated,

Nancy

1734 Nadratowski Chodubska marrriage.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  586.39 KB
 Viewed:  9729 Time(s)

1734 Nadratowski Chodubska marrriage.gif

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Józef Cichowlas Birth 1809

mestanton wrote:
Dave,

Please translate this Piaski parish birth record of Józef Cichowlas the son of Jan and Maryanna from Skotniki Zabłotne. What is the word, starting with C after his baptized first name? I have previously submitted his death record of 1819.

Thank you,

Marilyn

Marilyn,

The name Calesantius is not really the child’s middle name. It is the name of his patron saint, Joseph Calasanz. It appears in the record to show which of the many saints named Joseph is his patron saint. This was significant for Catholic Poles, for whom the name day was a more important day to celebrate than one’s actual day of birth. The feast day of St. Joseph Calasanz was August 26, which thus was the child’s name day. The given names of the two boys in the 1802 and the 1810 records (Josephatus and Josephus) are rather similar and thus can be a source of confusion when looking at the original records. There are other given names in Latin which can also be confused, if one is not careful. A good example is Mathaeus and Mathias (in English Matthew and Mathias), especially when the names appear in cases other than the Nominative. The names are similar in spelling and thus can be confused. However, Josaphat and Joseph and Matthew and Mathias are separate and distinct individuals.
The death of Jόzef/Joseph relates a sad story of a life cut short by a fall from a horse, an example of how dangerous it was to grow up on a farm. Since the record does not state what injuries he suffered in the fall, it is not possible to know whether or not he may have been able to have survived those injuries with today’s medical care.
Hope the translations help advance your research.

Dave

Birth Jόzef Cichowlas
Latin Text: Julius
Body: Anno Domini Millesimo Octingentesimo Nono die 2da Julij Ego ut supra baptisavi infantum Josephum Calesantium legitimorum parentum Joannis et Mariannae Cichowlas de Skotniki Zabłotnie. Hic infans natus est die 26 Junij hora nona vespertina. Patrini fuere Stanislaus Cwikleński de Bronisław et Marianna Grzanczyna de Skotniki Zabłotnie.
Translation: July
Body: On the 2nd day of July in the One Thousand Eight Hundred Ninth Year of Our Lord I, as above, baptized the infant Jόzef Calesanz (born) of the legitimate parents Jan and Maryanna Cichowlas from Skotniki Zabłotnie. This child was born on the 26th day of June at the ninth hour in the evening. The sponsors were Stanisław Cwikleński from Bronisław and Maryanna Grzanczyna from Skotniki Zabłotnie.

Here is his death record.

Latin Text: Augustus
Body: Anno Domini Millesimo Octingentesimo Xma (i.e. decima) Nono die 10 mensis Augusti Ego ut supra sepulivi puerum filium Josephum annorum 11 parentum scilicet Joannis et consortis eius Mariannae de Kmieciόw Cichowlasόw ex Skotniki Zabłotnie. Hic puer cecidit ex equo nisi 4 dies vixit et 8va (i.e. octava) die mensis Augusti mortuus est hora 4ta (i.e. quarta) ante ortum solis.
Translation: August
Body: On the 10th day of the month of August in the One Thousand Eight Hundred Nieneteenth Year of Our Lord I, as above, buried a boy, Jόzef, 11 years of age, the son of the parents, namely, Jan and his consort Maryanna nee Kmiec Cichowlas from Skotniki Zabłotnie. This boy fell from a horse and lived only 4 days and died on the 8th day of the month of August at the 4th hour before the rising of the sun (i.e. 4 a.m.).
mestanton

Replies: 212

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:31 am      Post subject: Józef Cichowlas 1809-1819

Dave,

Thank you very much for the birth and death translations and for the information about saints' name days. My parents named me after Mary since I was born near a feast day of hers. It was a custom in my family to have a name day.

Thanks also for discussing the unique Polish names that can be confusing with the Latin case endings. In your responses, I always learn something that will help me read records in the future.

Józef's death four days after the fall from a horse is a sad story. He must have suffered. For the priest to have gone into this much detail expresses heartbreak. He was my ancestor's youngest brother.

Regards,

Marilyn
johannacomisak

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:50 pm      Post subject: Translation of birth certificate

I recently received a copy of the birth certificate of my grandfather, Antoni Fedor Chomiszczak, from the archives in Sanok. I assume it was from the church. Could someone translate it for me and also tell me what parish his church was in if possible. He was born in Zagorze in 1885 and was of the Greek Orthodox faith. PolishOrigins has been very helpful to me in my search for ancestors in Poland.

Antoni.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB

Antoni.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation of birth certificate

johannacomisak wrote:
I recently received a copy of the birth certificate of my grandfather, Antoni Fedor Chomiszczak, from the archives in Sanok. I assume it was from the church. Could someone translate it for me and also tell me what parish his church was in if possible. He was born in Zagorze in 1885 and was of the Greek Orthodox faith. PolishOrigins has been very helpful to me in my search for ancestors in Poland.

Born Jan 4, baptized on Jan 9
catholic
legitimate son
father: Jan Chomiszczk, a farmer in Zagorze, whose parents were Szymon and Anna nee Balik
mother: Agnieszka, whose parents were Jan Trzeczenicki, a farmer in Zagorze, and Maria nee Baliska
godparents: Antoni Trzeczenicki, a farme in Zagorze, and his wife Maria, a farme as well.

Dave, any corrections?

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation of birth certificate

Magroski49 wrote:

Dave, any corrections?

Gilberto

Gilberto,
Nice to hear from you again. You did a fine job with the record. No need for corrections. However, there is a question about some of the data in the record. The entry states that Antoni was born in Zagorze but the remaining entries all name the village/town of Zagórz, which is near Sanok. There does not seem to be a Zagórze in the vicinity although there are many places with that name. The upshot of this is that I would suppose that the parish where the baptism took place was the parish in Zagórz. The question is:"Which parish?" According to the Skorowidz..., there were two churches in Zagórz---one Roman Catholic/Latin Rite and one Greek Catholic/Eastern Rite Catholic.
As to the original post...If Antoni practiced the Orthodox Faith later in life or not, he was baptized Catholic. The question is: "Was he baptized in the Latin Rite parish or in the Greek/Eastern Rite parish?" Usually such records name the priest who baptized the child as an entry which follows the info in the posted image. If that entry states that the child was baptized by so and so, it is usually safe to conclude that the baptism took place in the Latin Rite parish. If the entry states that the child was baptized and confirmed by so and so, then the baptism took place in the Greek Catholic parish. It is important to keep in mind that the liturgy used by the Greek/Eastern Rite Catholics was basically the same as the liturgy used by the Orthodox. Both the Greek Catholics and the Orthodox followed the custom of baptizing and confirming the infant on the same day. The Latin/Roman Rite separated the two events.
Finally, since the record came from a Polish National Archive, it is most certainly a civil transcript of the parish birth/baptism register. The original ecclesiastical copy would be housed either in the parish itself or in the archives of the diocese to which the parish belonged.
More questions than answers, but the answers most likely can be found in the complete entry of the record.

I hope that all this, although it does not answer the question about the church where the baptism took place, perhaps can point out the direction for additional research.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:05 am      Post subject: Re: Nadratowski 1734

nercell wrote:
Thank you Dave for your recent translations of Chodubski records.

Re: Marriage of Szymon Nadratowski and Teresa Chodubska- Translation please of the notation in the margin as well as the words following Nicgorski.

Appreciated,

Nancy

Nancy,

Here are the answers to your questions.

In Margin: “Before Lent from Chodupki” (Evidently that margin was where the priest entered the village in the records on the page.)
Words following Nicgorski: “and many others” followed by name of priest who blessed the marriage. The “many others” where the unspecified individuals who were present at the wedding ceremony.
nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:04 pm      Post subject: Wojciech Bońkowski Ewa Ługowska

Thanks Dave,

Would you be so kind to give me a verbatim translation of the 1688 marriage record for Wojciech Bońkowski and Ewa
Ługowska.

I was not able to decipher those words underlined in red. Also, Is that a "Nota Bene" following the record regarding Szymon Chadzynski and a widow Nadratwoski both from Nadratowo? I have not seen an NB before in a marriage record. Perhaps you are able to see the words scribbled after it?

Appreciated,

Nancy

Bonkowski Lugowski marriage 2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.48 MB

Bonkowski Lugowski marriage 2.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 273, 274, 275  Next Page 119 of 275

Jump to: