PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 pm      Post subject: Name and Residence on Passenger Lists

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to assist me in deciphering what is written after the "W" for Katarzyna Janiak and what word the " is standing in for on the Hamburg Passenger List and the first name of her father on the New York Passenger list. On the New York Passenger list, his name appears to Jurk? Also does anyone know the location of Stanning, Lol.?

Many thanks, Erin

Screenshot 2017-01-13 at 10.51.12 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  751.96 KB
 Viewed:  5268 Time(s)

Screenshot 2017-01-13 at 10.51.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-01-13 at 9.56.23 PM (1).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  791.07 KB

Screenshot 2017-01-13 at 9.56.23 PM (1).png

Screenshot 2017-01-13 at 8.23.33 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  658.97 KB

Screenshot 2017-01-13 at 8.23.33 PM.png

sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:39 am      Post subject:

Hello Erin,

Town whence Katarzyna Janiak came from was Stanimirz (Stanimierz) https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanimirz
On stevemorse i filtered some Janiak's - picture attached. Without this it would be very hard to find out the village by simple read.

Father of Katarzyna was Jósko (Józef) or Jurko (Jurek/Jerzy) cant distinguish but its rather the latter, maybe other help? It looks like it must be read as rutheniam/ukrainian name.

Stanimir was a nearby village to Hanaczów and Turkocin. Some records were indexed in geneteka from Stanimir-Turkocin here http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=486&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=janiak&search_lastname2=&exac=1&rpp1=0&bdm=A&w=21uk&op=gt&lang=eng you may change book for other type records. Some newer records also here http://www.agad.gov.pl/inwentarze/KLwo301new.xml

Hope it help in further research ! Smile

Edit: also, there is some info from newspaper about Janiak family http://jbc.bj.uj.edu.pl/dlibra/plain-content?id=19653 its on page 8 of the document about property on sale.

stanimir.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.23 KB

stanimir.jpg

stanimi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.72 KB

stanimi.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:59 am      Post subject:

Hi Erin,

I agree with Sirdan that the town is Stanimierz.
To answer your question about what is indicated on the Hamburg passenger list by the ditto " mark, I would say it indicates Austria. The thing is, this passenger list is written in German, so that particular column you are looking at is using abbreviations for country names, specifically Österreich (which can also be written Oesterreich) for Austria, Russland for Russia and Ungarn for Hungary. Can you see how the writer has put "Oesterr" and "Russl" and "Ung" for various people? Now, you have to decide whether the heavy horizontal cross-out was done before or after the ditto mark for Katarzyna and the people on the lines above her. To me, that cross-out was later, so the "Oesterr" which is crossed out applies to her. See what you think.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am      Post subject:

Sirdan,
I also see the father's name as Jurko. And in that third image that Erin provided, you can again see Stanimierz written, confirming what you had said. Also, the word Ruthenian, as you mentioned, is there.

Erin,
Right next to Stanimierz on that third image is "Gal" meaning Galicia. So this agrees with Austria as written on the Hamburg passenger list.

Best,
Sophia
erinengel

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:53 pm      Post subject:

@sirdan Thank you! Very Happy This is extremely helpful and thank you for the links. @Sophia Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: