PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:13 pm      Post subject: Our Ancestors in Old Photos from Poland

Are you lucky enough to have an old photo of your family in Poland?

If you have photos of your ancestors (not wedding) - We'd love to see it.
We have a section devoted to weddings at: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=737

Please view the forum list to decide the best place for your photos: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewforum.php?f=30

Please post your non-wedding photos from old Poland here with a description. If you need advice on reducing the size of the photo, please let us know.

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:29 am      Post subject:

Shellie,

Thank you so much for the several messages with topic ideas for photos. I will post some of mine in the near future and look forward to seeing everyone's contributions! I really Love to see all the photos from Poland. All of the photos that you just posted were very interesting to see. You have a nice variety and quite a lot of photos.

I hope that everyone viewing the photos in their own family collections will also realize that they should take an extra detailed look at the photos shared by people with their same Surname. I met a nice "Duplaga" lady researching her family on this site and others. Neither of us have enough info to find a connection at the present time, so I asked if I could see some of her photos. At first I didn't realize it but one day I started comparing a photo of mine to one of hers and found some astounding similarities, so much so that I feel certain we are related-we just have to find the info to prove the connection. Perhaps our grandfather's or ggreatgrandfather's are siblings.
Then she sent me a second photo of a wedding party circa 1920, and as soon as I saw it, I thought one of the men looked like a man in a photo I have. This man which appears to be from the 1940's must be related somehow to the man in her photo. Her man may be the father of the man in my photo--but surely, somehow our two families have a connection-we just need to find it.
Then Last year, my cousin was scanning many family photos from her mother's collection and one of them was an Old photo from Poland. Immediately, when I saw it-I thought-This lady looks Just like my neice!. I emailed it to my husband's computer and he immediately sent it back saying-it looks like our neice in a former life.!

The photos that have already been posted help bring our research alive, rather than just a lot of names on paper, we can now see WHO some of these relatives are! In a way, WE are all a big family on this website!

My Best to all,
MaryAnne
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:29 pm      Post subject: Great-grandparents Jakub Szot and Agata Obryk

This is the only picture I have of my paternal grandmother’s parents Jakub Szot and Agata Obryk. It was taken abt. 1900 in Poland. My great-grandfather Jakub Szot was a farmer in Blaszkowa, a small village between Jaslo and Pilzno. The child in the picture is their daughter Zofia, born 1898. Zofia died 1919, right before her marriage to a soldier. She was buried in her wedding dress.

Jakub Szot, Agata Obryk, and Zofia Szot abt. 1900.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  20788 Time(s)

Jakub Szot, Agata Obryk, and Zofia Szot abt. 1900.jpg

roseanne

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:09 pm      Post subject: Przedecz, Poland

I don't know much about the first photo, but we think it is the family of my grandfather, Michal Sobecki. Family details are: Maximilian Sobecki (b.24Mar1837 - Blenna) married Franciszka Bierkowska 3Nov1858 & his brother Walenty Sobecki (b.8Feb1834 - Blenna) married Michalina Szadkowska/Szadokierski 9Oct1853. They were all in Przedecz by the time the photo was taken 1890 or later. Top row of men could include Lisocki family.

The second photo is of Michal's sister Cecilia (b.22Oct1875 - Przedecz) & her husband, Mikolai Lisocki (b.5Dec1870), married in 1896. Oldest daughter is Regina. The studio stamp in the lower right hand corner reads in part: A. Jawnisz, Przedecz.

Thank you for the opportunity to post photos on such a trusted web site. I hope to make a connection with relation in Poland to share information.

Przedecz_2.jpg
 Description:
Lisocki from Przedecz
 Filesize:  1.94 MB
 Viewed:  20790 Time(s)

Przedecz_2.jpg

Przedecz_1.jpg
 Description:
Sobecki from Przedecz
 Filesize:  1.29 MB

Przedecz_1.jpg

Don

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:52 pm      Post subject: Family Photo

Hi Shelli,
Here's a family photo taken in 1913 just before my father left for the U. S.
My Dad is at left[standing] His brother,uncle Antoni, in front of him. Aunt Kate in middle. Uncle Joseph at right. Lady seated with child is Aunt Josephine,soon to leave with my dad for the U.S. To her right is her mother and to her mother's right is my grandmother.
My father was sixteen at the time of his voyage. He and uncle Lawrence,already here, were the only ones to come to the United States.
Enjoy,
Don

SCAN0007.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.09 MB

SCAN0007.JPG

Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm      Post subject:

Hi Ute, Roseanne and Don! What a great family photos!

Ute,
What a lovely photo, I love the little bear that Zofia is holding, and Jakub boots are impressive. Do you think he served in the military? Where did one get boots like that in 1900? And such a tragic, but romantic story about Zofia being buried in her wedding dress. I bet she was a beautiful young woman. Thanks for posting!

Roseanne,
Thank you for posting both of those photos – they are great! Such a handsome family. Look at the pattern in Regina’s shirt, such detail. And do I see that Regina and her mother have pierced ears? I never thought about whether Polish women pierced their ears. The other group portrait is really something to look at. When I zoomed in, there was so much to see. The men are so distinguished and have amazing moustaches! I love the little boy with the big smile on his face – such fun to see it when most in portraits the people are so serious! The first woman in the 3rd row has a nice big belt buckle. It reminds me of the belt my ancestor is wearing. I’ll have to dig it out and post it here.

Don,
Where is your family from in Poland? I think the boy in the bottom right is holding an interesting cane of some sorts - but it looks too long for him. Perhaps it belongs to the man (Uncle Josef?) behind him? And the little boy - holding a toy rifle? LOL! I love the little bare feet on that baby. Is your father holding a cigarette? I think the clothing is so very interesting. I wonder what is the significance of the strip of fabric on your grandmother's shoulder? You have a lovely family and thanks for sharing your photo!

Last edited by Shellie on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 pm      Post subject:

Hi Shelli,
Dad's family is from small town just west of Wloclawek. [Osieciny] Object may be part of a game from that period, but it looks like a cane. The little baby may be my cousin. Father is holding a watch fob. Notice it goes up into his vest. As for grandma's attire, I'll have to do some investigating. Thank you for your kind comments
Don

[Don followed up on 19 March 2011]

Hi Shelli,
Just received the explanation of the fabric over my gr mother's shoulder. Black hats worn by two women mean they are married. Usually two pieces of fabric are attached to the back of hat. Aunt Kate[in background] may have draped one over her mother's shoulder. The other lady should have the same on the back of her hat.
[Hats were optional]. Back then, women who were single usually braided their hair. Single men wore a hat with a feather. Info from a lady who came from Poland years ago.
Don
roseanne

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:06 am      Post subject:

Hello Shellie,
Good eye! Thank you for pointing out the details on the photos. I was only looking at faces until now. Strange that the little boy is the only one smiling. I think it is my grandfather, Michal. There is a resemblence to a photo of him when he first arrived in USA 1909.
Roseanne
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:01 am      Post subject:

Photo #1 I believe is my great grandmother Julia's uncle Jan Dolecki and aunt Marianna and their three boys Antoni, Bronislaw, and Stanislaw.
This photo was taken in the same studio in Pruszkow, as photo #2

Photo #2 is my great grandmother , Julia Cybulska nee Dolecki, and I was told that is my grandfather Franciszek to her right ( yes, that appears to be a dress he's wearing ) and his older brother Antoni.
If the photo is of my grandfather and his brother, it was taken between 1906 and 1908 ,in Pruszkow, Poland. My great grandfather Antoni was already settled in Brooklyn, N.Y., having come over in 1906.

Photo #3 is my great grandparents Antoni and Julia Cybulski, and Antoni on the left, Franciszek in the middle, and Genevieve on Julia's lap. This photo was taken in Brooklyn, N.Y. in early 1910. Julia and the boys came over in February 1909.

001.jpg
 Description:
Possibly Jan Dolecki, Marianna and their three boys Antoni, Bronislaw, and Stanislaw
 Filesize:  173.64 KB
 Viewed:  20812 Time(s)

001.jpg

002.jpg
 Description:
Julia Cybulska nee Dolecki and sons
 Filesize:  217.34 KB
 Viewed:  20811 Time(s)

002.jpg

003.jpg
 Description:
Antoni and Julia Cybulski: Antoni on left, Franciszek in middle, and Genevieve on Julia's lap. Brooklyn NY 1910
 Filesize:  181.61 KB

003.jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 am      Post subject:

James, Thank you for posting photos of your family! The clothing is so interesting! And here is another boy with a toy rifle. I think that we are starting a fantastic collection of Polish families here.
All Polska

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 pm      Post subject: Old pictures of relatives in Poland

My maternal grandmother came to America when she was 17. Her name in Polish was Marianna Sokolowski & Mary Sokolowski in English. She joined her two brothers already here in the USA. However she left behind her parents, Filipe & Mehalina Sokolowski; a sister Polish Cheshus (Cecilia) who married and had 4 daughters, one named Ursula; another sister Sofie who married a Balinski. Sofie's son was Lesheck (Lester) Balinski.

My grandparents, Louis & Mary Sokolowski Grzymala sponsored Lesheck to come to America. He did, living with my grandparents & working at a local bakery in New Kensington, Pensylvania, USA as a cake decorator. It was in the mid to late 1950's when he came. I was a young child, but remember him. He met a woman, married and moved to Chicago, Illinois, USA.

When my grandma was alive she corresponded with her relatives back in Poland. My mom sometimes writing the letters in Polish. However, my mom doesn't remember the married names of Mary's sisters, or anything else. the following pictures are of the Sokolowski relatves in Poland:

img_a_niece_ursula_with_children_in_poland_001_168.jpg
 Description:
Cecilia's daughter Ursula & her family:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  20814 Time(s)

img_a_niece_ursula_with_children_in_poland_001_168.jpg

img_ac__niece_ursulas_daughter_in_poland_003_941.jpg
 Description:
Ursula's daughter makes her First Holy Communion:
 Filesize:  385.33 KB

img_ac__niece_ursulas_daughter_in_poland_003_941.jpg

img_ab_niece_ursula_with_family_in_poland_002_709.jpg
 Description:
Ursula with her husband & daughters:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  20813 Time(s)

img_ab_niece_ursula_with_family_in_poland_002_709.jpg

img_z_niece_ursula_unknown_i_cecilia_in_poland_026_980.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  700.67 KB

img_z_niece_ursula_unknown_i_cecilia_in_poland_026_980.jpg

All Polska

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:56 pm      Post subject:

Needless to say, I'm having problems attaching the photos of my Polish Relatives!

img AA Sister Cecilia's family in Poland 027.jpg
 Description:
Mary's sister Cheshva (Cecilia) Sokolowski ??? and her family
 Filesize:  601.65 KB

img  AA Sister Cecilia's family in Poland 027.jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:41 am      Post subject:

All Polska,
I think you have a lovely family. Ursula looks like a movie star! I just noticed that the first photo of Ursula and her girls was taken beside the Christmas tree! Thank you so much for sharing your family with us.
All Polska

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:01 am      Post subject:

You are welcome Shellie. I have a few more, but we had such a lightning storm last night, I shut down the computer.
All Polska

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:57 pm      Post subject:

Here are more photos of unknownname only known relatives in Poland. All Sokolowski family related.

I got a message that my great grandparents photo is 4.81 mb & it can only be 2 mb. How do I change its size?

img X Romania & Stella Alina Relatives in Poland 024.jpg
 Description:
Romania & Stella Alina
 Filesize:  571.63 KB

img  X  Romania & Stella Alina Relatives in Poland  024.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: