PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
where to look???
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 95

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:14 pm      Post subject: where to look???

On USA census gggf listed his place as Austria Hungary. Where do I begin to look for information on his hometown, village. I am still search ellis Island for his travel to US. no luck, yet, he had changed his first and last name many many times. To us that is a big mystery. GGGF is Erazem Stasik and I am having very little luck. I have located him with the help of this website in Pittsburgh PA 1910, but can not find him before that. That is why I need to find him in the ship manifest. Just to see if he started out somewhere else. Another thing he was married and I can not find the first wife NOWHERE. There is a lot of confusing stuff with my gggf. I have found a cousin who may be able to help. Any suggestions on where to look, I have no village name, no church, no nothing yet and I do not know exactly what to do. Please if anyone out there can suggest to me on where to go from here I would be much apprecitive. I am not giving up on Ellis Island yet even though I have been threw 6,000 + manifests. He has listed his emmigration year as 3 different years from what I can make out on the us censuses 1884, 1885 and 1889. These are the years I think I have made out on us censuses. 1910,20 & 30 in Pittsburgh, pa. at 107 Ruch street. I think I need to find him first in Austria hungary and go from there. I have no idea if he had brothers or sisters. I would very much like to find out this info. Parnets names would be great also. If any one can help please do, this is very overwhelming for me and I have spent the past month total fixed on ellis island and still no luck. Thank you all so much.
Stacey
drphil

Replies: 38

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:19 pm      Post subject:

Hello Stacey,

Have you tried to locate his obituary? There could be information there that could help you. Also if he became a citizen, I think he had to list birthplace
on application. Also check to see if he register for WW I or WW II draft. Place of birth could be listed there.

Good Luck, Phil
Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:47 am      Post subject: Where to look???

Stacey,

Does anyone in the family have a Memorial Prayer card for Erazem's death? If so, one option would be to contact the funeral home on the prayer card. I have heard that sometimes they can be helpful. If you get really desperate, you can also try the cemetery office if you know where he is buried.

You can go online and look up the Pennsylvania Dept. of Health Vital Records dept. The Death Certificate record may be helpful. They have a "Genealogy Requests" section. You will need to fill out a request form and mail in $9.00.

Any chance you have his Social Security Number? You can write to the State of Pennsylvania and ask for information from his Application, if you think he always lived in Pennslyvania and that is most likely where he would have applied for it. That is one of the places that very possibly may have his parents names listed. One of my friends paid about $25 for each of her grandparents and was able to get THEIR parents names!

On Ancestry.com there is a Public "Wallace Family Tree". I don't know if it is YOUR family tree??? They do list a "Erazem Stasik (Stacey)" You can try contacting the owner of the tree through Ancestry.com Someone on one of these trees could be his sibling!!!

Go back and look at those census forms and look at ALL the other entries. I have located names of relatives living on the same street or one street over. Then at least you may find other possible relations of his, and you can check those names with any names on other people's family trees. Note the street number and name he lived at on those forms, as those addresses will be helpful in tracking him on other documents.

There are many other Ancestry.com family trees with the Stasik surname. You can open each one of them and click on "List of People" and go through their list of names, to see if any of them are the same names as you are reasearching.
I have found a couple surprises using this method.

And last but not least--I spend a lot of telephone time with "many" family members Begging for them to check their "Old boxes in the attic" that contain any family photos or paperwork. Try to determine what son or daughter of Erazem would be the most likely to have any info. Call that person or their adult children and one of them will refer you to someone else who was most likely the person that took an interest in family matters at some point. Do this now-while people are still alive. Often there is just verbal info, but if you chat with enough different cousins-you will learn something helpful!!

I hope these suggestions are helpful--Good Luck,
MaryAnne
stacey

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:58 am      Post subject:

MaryAnne
Have not found a SS# as of yet. I am not sure he was naturalized even. I may have saw the intent but no real evidence yet. Yes Wallace tree is mine. Was hoping someone else would notice it and help me but no luck yet. I only have 3 censuses and he is listing himself with different names and ages. I do not have a paid Ancestry.com account and I have had Shellie helping with things I find there, she is a very very helpful lady.I honestly do not know any of Erazem's kids kids. I have found a cousin who may be able to help he is searching right now for a pic or a old letter maybe that could help me. So I have tried. @ of Erazems grandchildren are alive, my grandmother and my great aunt. they say they only seen him 2x in their whole life and that their parents never spoke personal business to them so I even have questions on the name. My g Aunt says Erazem is right and my grandmother who no longer can speak said she would write the name as it sounded to her and what she wrote was EDRUJU. I cant even begin to sound that out. So have you heard of a name sounding like that? If so what do you think English version would be? My g Aunt said they called him Eric. But the name grm wrote is more like Ed. So honestly Im stumped. I have found headstones that match Erazem, 2nd wife Elzbeita and two of his children. Also a Jan Stasik who was 78 when he passed, headstone is writed in Polish I presume. I have a whole nother post named my family - Erazem Stasik here and you can go look at that its kinda long with photos and info in it. I have read it 1,000,000 times trying not to miss a beat but still stumped. Can not find him yet on Ellis Island and was very disappointed to find out there were other places immigrants could have arrived at. If I do not find him on ellis island I don't know what I am going to do. Thank you for responding and giving me some more info. Always appreciate a hand. thanks
Stacey
stacey

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:50 am      Post subject:

one more thing Maryanne will you look at the ellis island ship manifest for stanislaw stasik 1905 on line 3 and tell me the street name you think it says 5 jewus st pittsburgh pa
thanks
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:52 am      Post subject: Where to look???

Stacey,

Findagrave.com---I see that you found a listing for Erazem and left a nice msg. This entry also gives his Birth & Death dates!!!! This is a Huge find!!

I found a different site that will take you to his gravestone, as well as the 4 others who are buried at the same cemetery.
http://www.usgwarchives.org/pa/allegheny/tsphotos/ststanislaus
You can get the photo added to Findagrave, it you want.

He will be listed under Section "O" Elizabieta is there also and I think at least one or two of his sons. There is an Adam Stasikanis buried there-you may want to make a note of that last name. Maybe it is related somehow.

Erazem is a masculine name and a "Slovene" form of Erasmus. I did not find Erazem listed in my Polish Name sources. Perhaps it is
more of a Hungarian name??

I have spent quite a bit of time searching-however, there is an endless number of ways the name "Stasik" can be mis-spelled. And it will take you FOREVER to find a correct entry not to mention that the name may have actually been altered. Since you know the cemetery and his location within it--I highly suggest that you go to them and see if they will share any of his info for genealogy purposes. Someone had to have provided it for him and you may get the name of an unknown relative as well.

I did find his 1930 Census and that gives you the name of all his children, so that is a starting point to find their offspring, as another option to try.
On the 1920 Census, it says his father & mother are from Hungary.

I was a click away from shutting my computer down, when I came across two passenger lists for "Eras Stasik" with a birth yr. about 1857, who departed Hamburg on 7 Dec. 1887 and arrived in N.Y. 27 Dec. 1887 One says place of origin is Hungary. The other says residence is Brzeziny, Ungarn. I don't know what Ungarn means--but the location Brzeziny, comes up on a couple other pass. lists that I found and I think they could possibly be siblings of Erazem. (Eras-sounds like Eraz) This is interesting, because I did not come across any other names that were so similar as Eras is to Erazem.Any of the E. Stasik's were women's names. But I'm not sure how it could be connected, I'll leave that to you to figure out. The birth dates differ-however, I can attest to seeing different dates, related to the same person!

I found an Adam Edward Stasik's naturalization papers. One is a Declaration of Intent and says he resides at 3222 "Juliet" St. (The street name on Stanislaw's that was difficult to make out--may have been because the guy had a hard time pronouncing it. Maybe he was trying to say "Juliet". And maybe Stanislaw has a connection to Adam?? Adam was born in Bresine, which is also similar to Brzeziny. When you can view the actual forms, you can see where it is written one way and then it is interrpreted on the source record differently. So I sort of think there is a connection here.

I am sorry to say, that I'm Technologically inept and couldn't manage to provide access to the documents within this entry. I can Snail mail them to you or I can forward them to you if I can get your regular email address. You can leave me a private message on this site with either your address or email, and I will get them to you.
Good Luck and keep us posted,
MaryAnne
stacey

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:14 am      Post subject:

MaryAnne
Yes I would love to see the records you have found. I actually have 1920 & 1910 census but again names and dates are different. If you look again at St. Stanislaus cemetary. Adam I think is there a Jan Stasik written in Polish is there there is an Elzbeita Stasik there and I think Joseph Stasik is there Adam & Joesph are his sons, and I am Pressuming that Elzbeita is his 2nd wife ELIZABETH (that is what is written on the censuses. Erazem alwas listed on the censuses he was from Austria/Hungary Poland So I do believe he is asutria hungary. I do know about the passenger list but have not seen them.I also have found a Stanislaus who was going to stay with a Sylvester Stasik at 107 Ruch St Pgh pa. I have verified that Erazem and his family lived at Ruch st. I even have city maps that show him as the owner of the building. But nobody living today has heard of a Stanislaus or Stanley in our family. SO I am so stumped, this is very overwhelming. I started a formun on here labeled my family Erazem Stasik there is alot of info there I am still researching. Just like on family search I found an erazem and Elizabeth Ogrodrick marriage in 1907 I was able to with the help of this forum to have someone get me a paper on the marriage but turns out that it is Erazem & an ElizbetA Kulka. So I was told to order the LDS microfilm. Unfortunetly the place I would need to go to view is far from me and I dont have extra money to spend. I am though in contact with someone from St. Stanislaw Cemetary. My email that you can reach me at is [email protected]
Again thank you MaryAnne for taking the time to help me. Shellie was helping me along the way also and has gotten me some of the paper work that I have requested. Please contact me throught he email that I have provided. Thank You again. One more thing my Grandma, Erazems granddaughter, can no longer speak but wrote his name down they way she said it sounded. This is interesting she wrote EDRUJU, Does this name sound at all familiar to you. I dont even know how to begin to pronounce that!! Let me know what you think about that name. because only my gram and her sister are alive and they both said different names, my g aunt told me they used to call him ERIC. Another thing Syl, erazems son had a legal name change sometime in 1930'-40 to STACEY but I was told the family used that name for years before legalizing it, I do have proof of that on the 1930 census in pgh. Also I was told that they did not have middle names and I have saw adam edward and I wondered about that. I do know that henry, adam and joseph were in either one of WW1 and/or WW2, so that is stuff I do know. I honestly though do not know how to go about getting the correct info. I do know that Joseph was a "Wingman". That is what gaunt told me. I also am waiting for Gaunt to provide me with the legal name change paperwork from her father Sylvester. I really can not wait to hear from you, thank you thank you thank you.
stacey

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:16 am      Post subject:

The link you have supplied does not work MaryAnne.
drphil

Replies: 38

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:46 pm      Post subject:

Hello Stacey,

I have been reading your posts about your search for Erazem Stasik and saw where he was going to stay with Sylvester Stasik, also you mentioned a Stanislaus Stasik. Have you searched for any information about these two people? If you can find there birthplace and they are related to Erazem, then that would probably be Erazem birthplace also.

Good Luck, Phil
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm      Post subject:

I posted Erazem's grave pic on the other post.
Send e-mail
stacey

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:19 am      Post subject:

Dr. Phil Sylvester was Erazems son from his first marrige, he is my grandmothres father. Stanislaus was going to stay with his brother Sylvester, but no one in the family knows a Stanley or stanislaw. So I am still looking. Trying to figure this out.
Bill yes I am in contact with this cemetary, they had a fire and the section O which is where he is buried all the records got destroyed. So I am hoping that maybe just maybe something was salvagable . I also found out last night Erazem was not laid out in a funeral home he was laid out at his home, so I do not think that there was prayer cards for him. What happens when people are laid out in their homes. There are still death certificates right? I found he he died from phenomnia (sp?). Ok I am continuing this search with the new info that I am finding.
MaryAnne The Adam stuff is NOT his son. Adam his son was born around 1910. Also a question for anyone who wishes to answer. I asked my g aunt if they had middle names and she said no. Is that odd? If any of you can look up census, 1910, 1920 and 1930 in Pittsburgh pa at 107 Ruch street. He is listed and there are kids names that I do not know to be his children (EDWARD) also the spelling of his last name changed throughout the 3 census ( Michael Stisik is one, Erazem Stacey is another, and eraz stasiak, is the other. I can not find him before 1910. He is listed on the map as owning the house on Ruch street in 1910 and 1914. Any suggestions? Thanks to all who took an intrest in helping here. I will definetly keep posting because you all have given me hope again.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:07 am      Post subject:

stacey wrote:
Bill yes I am in contact with this cemetary, they had a fire and the section O which is where he is buried all the records got destroyed. So I am hoping that maybe just maybe something was salvagable . I also found out last night Erazem was not laid out in a funeral home he was laid out at his home, so I do not think that there was prayer cards for him. What happens when people are laid out in their homes. There are still death certificates right? I found he he died from phenomnia (sp?)..

Stacy, the cemetery usually do not have any info on the family except ownership of the lot and date of burial. I wouldn't waste my time there. You have all the names and dates from the grave stones so get all their death certs. And this was common for the "time" to be "shown" at home-usually 1-2 days max. My GF was shown the same way. Yes, there will be a death certificate for him as it was required by law. You need to get the death cert. from the county/vital records clerk in Allegheny Co. PA where he died or the PA state archives would have it also. Erazem lived 30 yrs in Pitt- PA so you should go to/write to the clerk of probate court- office in Allegheny Co. and ask for his Naturalization papers-this is where they had to be filed at. You filed in the county you lived in. They can check for all 3 different yrs you have found. No big deal. If your lucky it will show where he was born in Austro-Hungary (Galicia). It will list his wife and children also. It may have the name of the ship too he sailed on. Oh, I placed Erazem's pic on FAG also. Bill
Send e-mail
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:55 pm      Post subject: Re: Where to look???

MDuplaga wrote:

I don't know what Ungarn means...
MaryAnne

MaryAnne,

Ungarn is the german word for Hungary.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:16 pm      Post subject: Re: where to look???

stacey wrote:
....I need to find him in the ship manifest. .... am not giving up on Ellis Island yet even though I have been threw 6,000 + manifests.
Stacey

Stacey,

I don't know how experienced you are, so here are some suggestions:

Have you already checked the entries in www.castlegarden.org ?

What about Baltimore, Philadelphia and Boston ports?

And the Canadian ports of Quebec City, Halifax, or St. John's?

Still about EI: I search their data base through www.stevemorse.org > Gold Form
Since many times names were misspelled by volunteers who transcribed the lists I would search for (example) "Sta*" in the Surname Field. And just "E" on the First Name Field. Use the options "Starts with" and "Sounds like" and "Is phonetically" one at a time to see what comes in. If you are sure he came from Galicia, check the boxes for nationalities Austrian, Hungarian, Galician and Polish in order to narrow your search.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
stacey

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:20 am      Post subject:

Thank you and no I havent checked all those ports I figured EI was the most popular so I figured I would start there. And no I am not 100% sure he came from Galicia yet. I am going to continue looking any where possible so thanks for the new suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: