PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:02 am      Post subject: Trying to find this town

Hello all,

Over the past few days, I have tried to determine where my great-great-grandparents immigrated from. The two of them married in Poland, with my grandfather immigrating to the US on 1899, while my grandmother arrived by 1902. However, I cannot seem to be able to locate their old cities of residence when searching their previous places of residence.

Their original names were "Kazimierz Szylko" and "Ruphina Matazkov."

Ancestry suggests the locations "Vileski" and "Sewizcakie" for their manifests, respectively. My grandfather's entry in on row four, and my grandmother's is on row 26.

Another element of confusion is that on my grandfather's naturalization record, his previous location is listed as "Siergewozy" or "Siergewickzy."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

kaz_declaration3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  301.5 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

kaz_declaration3.jpg

ruth_manifest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  771.56 KB

ruth_manifest.jpg

kaz_manifest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  684.65 KB

kaz_manifest.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 692

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:00 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find this town

overunder wrote:
Hello all,

Over the past few days, I have tried to determine where my great-great-grandparents immigrated from. The two of them married in Poland, with my grandfather immigrating to the US on 1899, while my grandmother arrived by 1902. However, I cannot seem to be able to locate their old cities of residence when searching their previous places of residence.

Their original names were "Kazimierz Szylko" and "Ruphina Matazkov."

Ancestry suggests the locations "Vileski" and "Sewizcakie" for their manifests, respectively. My grandfather's entry in on row four, and my grandmother's is on row 26.

Another element of confusion is that on my grandfather's naturalization record, his previous location is listed as "Siergewozy" or "Siergewickzy."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Hi,
I've been looking at possible locations for a few days. I think they came from Lithuania or Belarus. But I think we can try this. Do you have more information about your great great grandmother Ruphina? Where was she born? You mentioned they married in Poland so I would think they lived in the same place or not far from each other. Do you have her naturalization record?
Regards,
-Barb
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1029

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Trying to find this town

BarbOslo wrote:

Hi,
I've been looking at possible locations for a few days. I think they came from Lithuania or Belarus. But I think we can try this. Do you have more information about your great great grandmother Ruphina? Where was she born? You mentioned they married in Poland so I would think they lived in the same place or not far from each other. Do you have her naturalization record?
Regards,
-Barb

Hi Barb,
I think Lithuania is the place to look.
In addition to the actual manifest posted here by Overunder, there is on Family Search an index card for Kazimierz Szylko's 1899 arrival. You can see on the image that next to the word Russia it also says Wilna.
Also, if you look on line 5 of Kazimierz's manifest, the passenger Andrzej Dragun is going to the same person as Kazimierz is, in Brooklyn: Wladyslaw Ogulewicz. For Kazimierz, he is listed as a brother-in-law and for Andrzej he is also listed as a brother-in-law. If you look on Family Search at Andrzej's index card, it similary adds "Wilna" to his prior residence.
Best regards,
Sophia

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.44 KB

image.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Trying to find this town

Hi Barb,
In addition to the actual manifest posted here by Overunder, there is on Family Search an index card for Kazimierz Szylko's 1899 arrival. You can see on the image that next to the word Russia it also says Wilna.
Also, if you look on line 5 of Kazimierz's manifest, the passenger Andrzej Dragun is going to the same person as Kazimierz is, in Brooklyn: Wladyslaw Ogulewicz. For Kazimierz, he is listed as a brother-in-law and for Andrzej he is also listed as a brother-in-law. If you look on Family Search at Andrzej's index card, it similary adds "Wilna" to his prior residence.
Best regards,
Sophia[/quote]

Thank you Sophia,
Then I check the churches in Vilna for the year 1871.
-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:48 pm      Post subject:

I have checked all available RC churches in Vilna for November-December 1871. Found nothing. Possibly he was baptized at the beginning of 1872.
-Barb
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:03 pm      Post subject:

BarbOslo wrote:
I have checked all available RC churches in Vilna for November-December 1871. Found nothing. Possibly he was baptized at the beginning of 1872.
-Barb

Hi Barb,
The other clue from the ship manifest is the name of another town: Andrzej Dragun is from "Svensanski." If you can find a town near Wilna that could be that town, as well as one that could be "Vileski," it would be a good step forward.
All the best,
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:50 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find this town

Sophia wrote:
BarbOslo wrote:

Hi,
Regards,
-Barb

Hi Barb,
Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Everyone,
I don't know if this record might help. It's the birth record for one of the children of Kazimierz and Rufina. This record lists a town for the parents. Hope it helps some.

Best Regards,
Trish

Rosalia Szylko Birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  872.44 KB

Rosalia Szylko Birth.jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:03 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find this town

Sophia wrote:
BarbOslo wrote:

Hi,
Regards,
-Barb

Hi Barb,
Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Everyone,
I found this manifest for Wincenty Szylko going to go see his brother, Kazimierz. He is on line #10. Also check out the person on line #11. He his also going to see Kazimierz.

Have a wonderful day!
Regards,
Trish

Wincenty Szylko Manifest page 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  773.78 KB

Wincenty Szylko Manifest page 1.jpg

Wincenty Szylko Manifest page 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  797.6 KB

Wincenty Szylko Manifest page 2.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Trying to find this town

Hallo Sophia, Trish & overunder,

What do you think about this?
Sierhijewicze - a village in Vilna Voivodeship. I think it's the closest spelling.

-Barb

Serhijewicze parish Dunilowicze.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.61 KB

Serhijewicze parish Dunilowicze.jpg

Sierhijewicze.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  283.07 KB

Sierhijewicze.jpg

overunder

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:14 pm      Post subject: Re: Trying to find this town

BarbOslo wrote:
Hallo Sophia, Trish & overunder,

What do you think about this?
Sierhijewicze - a village in Vilna Voivodeship. I think it's the closest spelling.

-Barb

Hello Barb,

I definitely think that looks correct, considering that some of the transliterations on the naturalization forms appear with the "-wickzy" suffix, such as in this form that I found.

kaz_declaration2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  392.55 KB

kaz_declaration2.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Trying to find this town

Hi again,
I tried to look for Kazimierz birth record in parish Dunilowicze. I did not find him on the stated date (November 29, 1871). Checked from November 1870 to December 1871. Perhaps he was baptized in 1872.

I have looked at the documents that Trish and Sophia downloaded. It seems Rufina's surname was Matuszka. I think that Matuszka Antoni and Wiktor are the brothers of Rufina. They come from the same place and were born in the years ab. 1877 and ab. 1887. Rufina was born ab. 1874. The father of the three children was Piotr Matuszka.

-Barb
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:38 am      Post subject:

Hi Barb, Trish and Overunder,
Thanks to all the great documents you found, I agree with you that the town is Sierhiejewicze. Here is a little info about it: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierhiejewicze
While it was under the control of the Russian Empire, it was in the Governorate of Vilnius. Between the two world wars, it was part of the Second Republic of Poland. Today it is part of Belarus.
The delayed birth certificate that Trish posted for Rosalia Szylko (in 1960, for a 1906 birth, so one might wonder about the accuracy of the details) agrees with this, saying her parents were both from the Wilenska Gubernia (gubernia = governorate). What Rosalia missed was her mother's maiden name. Barb has got it exactly right, the spelling is Matuszka.
Regarding a birth record for Kazimierz, I would just add that he might have been from a neighboring town and that may be why you cannot find him. Would it be more useful to find the marriage record?
Best regards to all,
Sophia
overunder

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:15 am      Post subject:

Hello Barb and Sophia,

Thank you for the additional information about Sierhiejewicze! Also, I was curious if you came across any additional information about Piotr? Is there any information available about when he may have died? Thank you both for your help so far, I am amazed by everything you have found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: