PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:16 pm      Post subject: Feidal System in Eastern Galicia

I see where the area of my paternal grandparents had a feudal lord as late as 1848. Does anyone know how long the feudal system lasted in eastern Galicia? Specific area in question was the village of Hlibow, which was south of Ternapol in administrative district of Skalat. However, any info on end of the feudal system in eastern Galicia would be of help.
Thanks, Mary
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:37 pm      Post subject: Re: Feidal System in Eastern Galicia

Mary Pate wrote:
I see where the area of my paternal grandparents had a feudal lord as late as 1848. Does anyone know how long the feudal system lasted in eastern Galicia? Specific area in question was the village of Hlibow, which was south of Ternapol in administrative district of Skalat. However, any info on end of the feudal system in eastern Galicia would be of help.
Thanks, Mary

Mary,

I like your question about feudal system, because the Polish terminology - Uwłaszczenie chłopów w Polsce - will also explain some words used in Vital Records to describe peasants.

Let’s see Polish words, etymologically close, and their English equivalent.
Włości: = estate ; acres ; manor
Włościanin: = peasant owner of acres (land)
Właściciel: = owner
Własność: = property ; possesion
Władza:= power

Various dictionaries give English “affranchisement” as equivalent to Polish “uwłaszczenie”, but when you lookup the meaning of “affranchisement” it is "the act of making free", often from the slavery. The origin of “affranchisement” is French “affranchir”, which is derived from “franc”, free.
But the Polish etymology of “uwłaszczenie” is “became owner of a land”.

The following Wiki in Polish is short, gives important dates:
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uw%C5%82aszczenie_ch%C5%82op%C3%B3w_w_Polsce
The date of 1848 is an end of feudal system is for Austrian empire, which included Galicia.

If you read Polish, I found that historical article interesting.
http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=8&sub=35

Elzbieta
Mary Pate

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:38 pm      Post subject: Feudal System in Poland and Areas

Elzbieta,
Dziekuje!

Thanks you for a most interesting and educational reply to my inquiry on the feudal system.

I was not aware that it was in the Prussian area also. My maternal grandparents are from the Wagrowiec (Poznan) area. Evidently they were affected, too. Evidently, when the term Manor House is used, that would be the home of the "Feudal Lord?" I do have a picture of the Manor House in Srebrnagora, village where my grandparents lived prior to coming to the US in 1905.

It was in articles about Galicia where my paternal grandparents lived that I saw a listing of feudal lords, last being "Kozebrodzki" in 1848. However, since it's mentioned that "feudal system" ended that year, he must not have had power long.

I have scanned both articles and plan to study them later. Google automatically translates for me but their's is not a good translation--sometimes laughable; however, at least something.

Thanks again,
Mary
Staripolak64
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:35 pm      Post subject:

When you consider the "feudal system" in Poland, please keep in mind that there was not one such system, but three: The Prussian, the Austrian, or Hapsburg, and the Russian. The serfs, "krestjane," were freed in Russia only in about 1862-1865. Also, the Russians used a slightly different classification system for their citizens. It can be confusing, bewildering, but please remember that that oppressive system is long gone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: