PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:59 am      Post subject: Skroda/Shroda? Help on ship manifest for location

Hi all,

New to researching and to this website! I am currently trying to trace my paternal grandmother's side of the family.

I recently found the ship manifest which lists her and her aunt and cousins as coming over together in 1911. I am 95% sure this is her.

I have NO information on her family in Poland. My grandmother does not remember any siblings names, hometowns etc., and apparently she was the only person in her immediate family to immigrate. Obviously an uphill battle when trying to trace backwards!

Anyway, I noticed on the manifest that the people listed as traveling with Stefania (my g.grandmother) are from a town that is called Skroda? Shroda? Found a Skroda Mala in Northeast Poland but not sure if that is right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also looked up the person who sponsored them in America, which is Stefania's uncle, Adam. His ship record lists he is from Konopki? Again, found something near the area of Skroda Mala but wanted to see if you all had any ideas.

I have attached the manifests for Stefania and her aunt/cousins.

Thanks so much for your help!

Stefania2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  605.36 KB
 Viewed:  3752 Time(s)

Stefania2.jpg

Stefania.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  641.1 KB
 Viewed:  3752 Time(s)

Stefania.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:48 pm      Post subject:

In my opinion you are on the right track. The manifest shows it was somewhere in Lomza province, so we have:
- Skroda Mala and Skroda Wielki
- just 2 miles South, Barzykowo (that's the name I read before Lomza, after her father's name Ignacy Wirikucki ?
- and Konopki Byalistok and Konopki Monety, 2 miles East of Skroda.
A word of caution: there are too many Konopki around Lomza, as well as Skroda.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
kcs719

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:12 pm      Post subject:

Thanks so much for your help and insight Gilberto! I think you are right...all of those towns are relatively close and her cousin, whose hometown is listed as Guby, could easily have been from Stare Guty or Guty Podlesne, also within 2-3 miles of Skroda.

I wrote an email to the the State Archive in Bialystok, Lomza branch to see if they can gather any other information/records for me. Should I send a regular postal letter? Also, am I even looking in the right place for records? Any help would be great!
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:35 pm      Post subject:

Some State Archives require a signed letter, sent by regular mail. Most of them, luckyly, reply to email requests once you provide them full name and address. The more exact data you have, the faster (and cheaper!) your search will be done. Some Archives send the copies found as scanned images, through attachments to your email address; some send them by registered mail (which takes longer and we are all anxious, aren't we?). Also, some Archives perform separate searches (mainly in major cities) accordingly to the religion and to the frame of time (no longer than 10 years at a time).
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: