PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:14 am      Post subject: Autosomal DNA test

Hi DsS,
I don't know if you have investigated autosomal DNA testing, which gives you DNA cousins back through 5 or more generations. It is called Family Finder if you test with FamilytreeDNA, or you could use 23 and Me, which is also a reputable company. I have recently found relatives on my paternal grandfather's side and also relatives on my maternal grandfather's side using these tests. Actually the Family Finder test has been more fruitful than the Y-DNA test which gives direct male line matches, but not in recent history.

Elaine
Send e-mail
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:40 pm      Post subject:

Not sure if anyone else uses this site:

http://v2.gedmatch.com/login1.php

Once you get DNA results from Ancestry or someone else, you can upload them to GED match, and it will help you find relatives. Or overload you with data.....did find some of the Jablonowski's that were cousins, the same that were on my G Grandfathers voyage.
John
efc3011

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:59 pm      Post subject:

Yes, GEDmatch is a great free site for comparing results from Familytree DNA, 23 and Me, and AncestryDNA. But it is limited by the fact that people need to upload their own raw data to the site, and if they don't do that, comparisons are, of course, not possible.
Send e-mail
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:04 pm      Post subject:

Yeah, I was kind of bummed to read that Ancestry's test isn't that good unless you're delving into colonial ties, and Canada is the "abroad". Then you have to upload to GEDmatch. Maybe down the road I'll spend on the more expensive tests.
John
efc3011

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:31 pm      Post subject:

Family Finder at FamilytreeDNA is $99. 23 and Me is also $99. Same price as AncestryDNA , I believe.
Send e-mail
ctamara

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:13 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Aga did a wonderful job helping me understand a Polish article that I wanted to translate. I am making a donation as a token of my gratitude.
i

Hi
shellie. I noticed awhile back you were interested in my Copernicus dna connection. recently i may have possibly finally broke through but i am awaiting some confirmation. i have parkinsons so i cannot type very well. wish me luck. carol
Send e-mail
Jessicacreative

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:58 am      Post subject: Find out that I'm Polish

I've always known that some of my relatives are Polish at some part. I didn't consider it like a sufficient part. But some month ago I decided to have ancestry test at dna services near the house https://dnasu.com/ And I found out that I'm 80% Polish. I'm very excited and eager to travel to Poland Very Happy
DsS

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:27 am      Post subject: Re: Autosomal DNA test

efc3011 wrote:
Hi DsS,
I don't know if you have investigated autosomal DNA testing, which gives you DNA cousins back through 5 or more generations. It is called Family Finder if you test with FamilytreeDNA, or you could use 23 and Me, which is also a reputable company. I have recently found relatives on my paternal grandfather's side and also relatives on my maternal grandfather's side using these tests. Actually the Family Finder test has been more fruitful than the Y-DNA test which gives direct male line matches, but not in recent history.

Elaine

Hello Elaine.... I finally did the DNA testing also have paid for the Family Finder. Completed it early June and expected to get results mid way August. So so so excited, can't wait... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: