PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Author

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:41 pm      Post subject: LewandowskiWilk

Hi Dave,

Again no rush, these should be my fifth great grandparents Błażej Lewandowski, and Marie Wilk, Marie should be my direct matrilineal ancestor!

LewandowskiWilk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.33 KB
 Viewed:  10910 Time(s)

LewandowskiWilk.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2780

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm      Post subject: Re: BuxaLewandowski

gpblaney wrote:
Hi Dave,

Whenever you get a chance this is the marriage of my fourth great grandparents. I can kind of understand the names in the columns above but the text beneath I can't make out.

Hi,

It is with good reason that you had difficulty with the notations at the bottom of the record. The text is a combination of two languages---Latin & Polish. The Polish is a statement by the father of the bride granting his permission for her to marry Ignacy. It is just a formal statement that he consents to the marriage. He may or may not have expressed his consent in those exact words. (Probably he used other less formal words.) Since Bazyli was illiterate he made his mark in place of his signature. I gave a free translation without a transcription of the Polish statement. The Latin sentences deal with the legalities and formalities of the marriage.

It is important to note that the bride was a Latin (Roman) Rite Catholic and the groom was an Eastern (Greek aka Uniate) Rite Catholic. The groom was a cantor in the parish where he lived---an important position. Much of the Eastern (Greek) Rite liturgy consists in responses and “litanies” in which the cantor plays a major role.

Here is the transcription and translation.

The next translation will follow when time permits.

Dave

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): Missing
Col. 2: Year (at top): Anno Domini 1860 = In the Year of Our Lord 1860
Dies et Mensis: Day and Month (of marriage): Februarii 19a = February 19th
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 12
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentuum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (his) place of birth: Ignatius Buxa filius p.d. Nicolai et Anastasiae Halamaj(?) agricolarum in Meteniów(?) Cantor r. g. in Podlipca = Ignacy Buksa, the son of the late Mikołaj and Anastazja (nee) Halamaj(?), farmers in Meteniów(?), a cantor in the Greek/Eastern Rite (Church) in Podlipca
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 40
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelor: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower: Checked
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: N(ume)ro Domus = House Number: Lacking
Col. 4b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (her) place of birth: Anna Lewandowska filia Basilii et Mariae Wilk agricolarum in Podlipca r.l. = Anna Lewandowska, the daughter of Bazyli and Maria (nee) Wilk, farmers in Podlipca, Latin/Roman Rite
Col. 4c: Religio = Religion
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 4d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4d Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Daniel Iniasków et ???ius Burdek = Daniel Iniasków and ???ius Burdek
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation: ambo agricolae loci = both farmers of this place

Bottom notations: Dato consensu patris pro sponsa minorenni /: Ja Basyli Lewandowski...i.t.d. +mark of Basyli Lewandowski
Test(imonium) bannorum sponsi a parochia r.g. podlipca att. 18A Februarii 860 No. 6
Benedixi huic matrimonio And. Kiernik(?) Cooperator
(Refers to later marriage records) Ulterius in novo libro Tom XXX = The consent of her father was received for the minor (i.e. under emancipated age) bride: “I, Bazyli Lewandowski, aware of this marriage grant permission to my minor daughter Anna to enter into the bonds of marriage with Ignacy Buksa in testimony of which in the conscious presence of witnesses I sign with my mark of the cross + (his mark) Bazyli Lewandowski (witness: And(rzej) Kiernik).
Certificate of the banns of the groom from the Greek/Eastern Rite (Church) in Podlipca received February 18th (1)860 Number 6
I, Andrzej Kiernik, Assistant Pastor, blessed this marriage.

The next statement refers to later marriages: "Continued in the new book, Volume 30"
gpblaney

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:50 pm      Post subject: BuxaLewandowski

Thanks Dave! Meteniów I believe is a village in the adjacent parish. I will have to pull up their records. That's amazing that my ancestor himself made this mark. I was curious about that. I am learning a lot from each of your translations. Each detail helps me understand my ancestor better and I thank you for your work!
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 am      Post subject: Re: LewandowskiWilk

gpblaney wrote:
Hi Dave,

Again no rush, these should be my fifth great grandparents Błażej Lewandowski, and Marie Wilk, Marie should be my direct matrilineal ancestor!

Hi,

Here is the Lewandowski & Wilk marriage translation.

Hope you find it useful.

Dave

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): Lacking
Col. 2: Year (at top): Anno Domini 1829 = In the Year of Our Lord 1829
Dies et Mensis: Day and Month (of marriage): Februarius 15 = February 15
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)ro Domus = House Number: 12
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentuum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (his) place of birth: Basilius Lewandowski agricola in Podlipca, filius Thomae Lewandowski agricolae in Podlipca et Mariannae Conjugum legitimorum = Bazyli Lewandowski, a farmer in Podlipca, the son of the legitimate marriage of Tomasz Lewandowski, a farmer in Podlipca, and of Maryanna
Nro 12 (The house number where he resided is repeated.)
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 18
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: N(ume)ro Domus = House Number: Nro 24 = Number 24
Col. 4b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (her) place of birth: Marianna Wilkowna* filia Blasii Wilk agricolae in Podlipca et Theresiae Conjugum legitimorum = Maryanna Wilk*, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of Bazyli Wilk, a farmer in Podlipca, and of Teresa
Col. 4c: Religio = Religion
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 4d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4d Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: ?acko Wilk (et)Thomas Lewandowski =
?acko Wilk (&) Tomasz Lewandowski
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation: Agricolae e Podlipca = farmers from Podlipca

Bottom Notation: Deals with formalities and legalities and contains no information of genealogical import. I will only provide a summary. Here is the summary: The bride & groom obtained judicial consent (a civil license) on February 13, 1829. The formalities were all observed and Dominik Kasprowicz, the assistant pastor, blessed the marriage.

Note: *The suffix -owna was attached to the surname of single females and indicated “the daughter of...”
gpblaney

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:02 am      Post subject: Thanks

Thanks for helping me with these at times confusing records. After studying your translations and transcriptions I have been able to translate other documents myself. Your work is very much appreciated, thank you.
Send e-mail
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:55 pm      Post subject:

Please help me translate this marriage record from 1700 in Osiek (Zawidz parish). I believe the surname is Milczarczyk.

1700b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.36 KB
 Viewed:  10911 Time(s)

1700b.jpg

1700a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.94 KB

1700a.jpg

nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:20 pm      Post subject: Płock Court records online

Hi Dave,

I am returning to the pursuit of knowledge after a long and involuntary hiatus.

The court record books from Płock are now online.

http://pther.net/Plockie_Grodzkie_Wieczyste/Index.html

They hold a plethora of information for any of those that have noble roots in the region.

1-This document references my ancestors Pawel Chądzynski-son of the (living/healthy?) Walenty. I believe it is in regard to the rental of land in Bonkowo Podlesne-here referred to as Bonkowo Wity.

The handwriting is clear...amonst other phrases, I tried googling 'modo obligatorio' but did not come up with more than the already recognized 'obigation'. Is this actually a 'pledge' ? It also references an exact date which I believe is the 30th of January ? 1715. The record itself is from the 1722 books.

2-Matheae son of the living? Jacob Bonkowski and his consort Marianna Mączynska. Another 'obligation' re village of Bonkowo Zrody in 1738. also mentions full blooded brother- Wawrzyniec Bonkowski. NOt my direct line but I believe Wawzyniec is my 5th great uncle.

3-The MOST intriguing is regarding Stanislaw, son of Adam Przedwojewski and Andrzej of Walenty Chodubski 1722 which talks of 'mortificant et annihilant'. At first I saw this in the literal sense of killing and annihalation...but in re-thinking the matter I believe it has to do with mortification and a bruised psyche??? Walenty is my 6th great grandfather.

As always, I have learned much in your providing translations to both myself as well as to the group...
Your sacrifice of your personal time is much appreciated,

Nancy

PL_1_24_1176_0265 p2 Stan Przedwojewski son of Adam and Andrzej Chodubski son of Walenty.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  909.89 KB

PL_1_24_1176_0265 p2 Stan Przedwojewski son of Adam and  Andrzej Chodubski son of Walenty.gif

PL_1_24_1187_0465 Mat son of Jacob Bonkowski Bonk Zrody 1738 j.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.16 KB

PL_1_24_1187_0465 Mat son of Jacob Bonkowski Bonk Zrody 1738 j.jpg

PL_1_24_1174_0041 1722 Pawel son of Walenty Chadzynski renti Bonkowo Zrody i Wity Wojciech.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  570.07 KB

PL_1_24_1174_0041  1722 Pawel son of Walenty Chadzynski renti Bonkowo Zrody i Wity Wojciech.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:28 am      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Please help me translate this marriage record from 1700 in Osiek (Zawidz parish). I believe the surname is Milczarczyk.

Hi Starshadow,

The verbose Latin wording in the record in places results in clumsy English but the facts are clear. Anyway, here is the transcription and translation.

Dave

Latin Text: Incipit annus Domini 1700
Villa Osiek
Anno hoc die 20 mensis Februarij in facie ecclesia Zawidzensis praemissis tribus bannis singuilis diebus Dominicis et nulla obstante jure Canonico S.S. Concilii Tridenti neque impedimento Matrimonii contraxerunt inter se sacrum matrimonium honestus* Jacobus Milczarczyk cum Anna vidua olim relicta consorte Valentini Ploczen??k (illegible word) benedicante Laurentio Wybraniecki Parocho Zawidzensis Adstantibus fide dignis testibus Nobili Stanislao Bogorski et honesto* Stanislao Kaczmarz et aliis.

Translation: Here begins the Year of Our Lord 1700
Village of Osiek
In this year on the 20th day of the month of February, after the three banns had been promulgated in the presence of the congregation of Zawidz on individual Sundays and since no Canon law of the Most Sacred Council of Trent nor impediment to marriage stood in the way, the upright* Jakub Milczarczyk contracted holy matrimony between himself with Anna the surviving widow of her late consort Walenty Polczen??k. Wawrzyniec Wybraniecki, the pastor of Zawidz blessed (the marriage) in the presence of the trustworthy witnesses the Noble** Stanisław Bogorski and the upright* Stanisław Kaczmarz and others.

Notes: *honestus/upright: the adjective usually describes a farmer from a village or small town.
**Nobilis/noble: Polish is szlachetny and designates the owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Dave!
mestanton

Replies: 210

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:07 am      Post subject: Maćczak Births 1809

Dave,

Please translate these 1809 birth records from Piaski parish. The one on the left seems typical except for the word after Fratus describing Łukasz. The one on the right has many words describing people that I cannot decipher. Piotr Budny, the male baptism sponsor is my direct ancestor.

Marilyn

Macczak births 1809.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB

Macczak births 1809.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:23 pm      Post subject: Re: Płock Court records online

nercell wrote:
Hi Dave,

I am returning to the pursuit of knowledge after a long and involuntary hiatus.

The court record books from Płock are now online.

http://pther.net/Plockie_Grodzkie_Wieczyste/Index.html

They hold a plethora of information for any of those that have noble roots in the region.

1-This document references my ancestors Pawel Chądzynski-son of the (living/healthy?) Walenty. I believe it is in regard to the rental of land in Bonkowo Podlesne-here referred to as Bonkowo Wity.

The handwriting is clear...amonst other phrases, I tried googling 'modo obligatorio' but did not come up with more than the already recognized 'obigation'. Is this actually a 'pledge' ? It also references an exact date which I believe is the 30th of January ? 1715. The record itself is from the 1722 books.

2-Matheae son of the living? Jacob Bonkowski and his consort Marianna Mączynska. Another 'obligation' re village of Bonkowo Zrody in 1738. also mentions full blooded brother- Wawrzyniec Bonkowski. NOt my direct line but I believe Wawzyniec is my 5th great uncle.

3-The MOST intriguing is regarding Stanislaw, son of Adam Przedwojewski and Andrzej of Walenty Chodubski 1722 which talks of 'mortificant et annihilant'. At first I saw this in the literal sense of killing and annihalation...but in re-thinking the matter I believe it has to do with mortification and a bruised psyche??? Walenty is my 6th great grandfather.

As always, I have learned much in your providing translations to both myself as well as to the group...
Your sacrifice of your personal time is much appreciated,

Nancy

Nancy,

Here are answers to the questions/concerns you raised about the three court documents you posted.
Hope this answers your questions and increases your understanding of the documents.

Dave

Ad I: Jakub is deceased. “Modo obligatorio” refers to the legal obligation to fulfill the terms of the lease. The date the agreement was signed was June 3, 1715 not January 30, 1715.
Ad II: Jakub is deceased. The document deals with inheritance issues.
Ad III: To properly understand these documents they must be treated for what they are, i.e. 18th Century civil, not criminal, legal/court documents. To read the documents from a 21st Century perspective is to misread them. The verbs “mortificant et annihilant” have nothing to do with 21st Century flights of fantasy about killing or bruised psyches. The document deals with civil matters and those two verbs state that the disputes/contentions between Stanisław and Andrzej have been put to rest/settled.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Maćczak Births 1809

mestanton wrote:
Dave,

Please translate these 1809 birth records from Piaski parish. The one on the left seems typical except for the word after Fratus describing Łukasz. The one on the right has many words describing people that I cannot decipher. Piotr Budny, the male baptism sponsor is my direct ancestor.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

The words you asked about are frater germanus which means “full-blooded brother/brother of the same father and mother”. In other words, the father of the child and the male sponsor (godfather) are full brothers. Germanus is interesting in that in Romance Languages like French and Italian the word for brother is derived from the Latin “frater” but the word for brother in Spanish, another Romance Language, is hermano, which is derived from the Latin germanus.

Here is the first record. The second will follow soon as time permits.

Dave

Body of Entry: Anno Domini Millesimo Octingentesimo Nono die15 8bris Ego Josephus Wynijewski P.P. baptisavi infantem nomine Lucam legitimorum parentum Andreae et Sophiae Masczakόw de Skotniki Zabłotnie. Hic infans natus est die 8va ejusdem hora 6ta de mane. Patrini fuere Luca Masczak frater germanus de Bacharcie et Cunegundis Wynijewska de Piaski.

Translation: In the Year of Our Lord 1809 on the 15th day of October, I, Jόzef Wynijewski, P.P., baptized and infant by the name of Łukasz of the legitimate parents Andrzej and Zofia Maszczak from Skotniki Zabłotnie. This child was born on the 8th day of the same (month & year) at the 6th hour in the morning. The sponsors were Łukasz Masczak, the full-blooded brother (of the father) from Bachatrcie and Kunegunda Wynijewska from Piaski.
nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:41 pm      Post subject: F/U Płock court records Przedwojewski

Thank you Dave !

It is a bit clearer. Smile

If you would be so kind...

Re-

I- I take it to mean that 'Walenty' is deceased?

II- Regarding inheritance -is the inheritanceo actually parts of Bonkowow village from thier father Jacob?

III-Are Adam Przedwojewski and Walenty Chodubski also deceased?...

Could you please translate this last record in its entirety ?

Dziękuję bardzo

Nancy
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:08 am      Post subject: Re: Maćczak Births 1809

mestanton wrote:
Dave,

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

Here is the second record.

The vocabulary in this record is not the usual vocabulary for a baptismal record because this was not an ordinary baptism. The child Urszula was baptized at home by a village official, Kazimierz Tuszeński because she was in physical distress after her birth. It was a basic ceremony which consisted of Kazimierz reciting the formula, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” while pouring water on her head. When she recovered and grew stronger she was taken to the parish church by Piotr and Jadwiga. The priest “supplied the ceremonies” which are part of the rituals which surround the “main event. This means the priest did things like asking the questions of the profession of faith, anointing the child with holy oil, presenting a lighted candle, etc. Piotr and Jadwiga were technically not her sponsors aka godparents because they had not been present when she was baptized by Kazimierz. (Although it is most likely that they and Urszula’s parents considered them to be her godparents.) The priest entered their names with the correct formula “His caerimonias asistebant…”/at these ceremonies were present…”

The important points to take away from this record are that the actual baptism took place at home and the minister of the baptism was a layman, Kazimierz. In the church the priest did NOT re-baptize her and what took place in church was, in a sense, just putting the finishing touches on the event by going through the various rituals which surround the pouring of the water and the recitation of the baptismal formula.

Hope this clarifies the entry.

Smacznego święconego jajka!

Dave

Body of Entry: Anno Domini Millesimo Octingentesimo Nono die 20ma 8bis Ego Josephus Wypijewski P.P. adimplevi caeremonias supra infantem nomine Ursulam baptisatam in necessitate per Casimirum Tuszeński directorem de Bacharcie. His caerimoniis asistebant Petrus Budny et Hedvigis Bormistrzkowa ambo de Bacharcie Parentum Lucae et Agathae Masczakόw de Bacharcie.

Translation: In the Year of Our Lord 1809 on the 20th day of October, I, Jόzef Wypijewski P.P., supplied the ceremonies for the child by the name of Urszula, baptized in necessity by Kazimierz Tuszeński, the director* from Bacharcie. At these ceremonies Piotr Budny and Jadwiga Bormistrzkowa, both from Bacharcie, were present. The parents (were) Łukasz and Agata Masczak from Bacharcie.

Note: *director: possibly the wojt of the village.
mestanton

Replies: 210

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:46 pm      Post subject: Re: Maćczak Births 1809

Dave,

Thank you for the Piaski parish 1809 Maćczak births. Now the second atypical birth record makes much more sense that the "director" of the village administered the baptism out of necessity. In the Pisski parish films available online at familysearch.org, I found only one other baptism with this wording. In other parishes, I have seen the midwife administered the emergency baptism.

Your help is so instructive and appreciated.

Wishing you a Happy Easter, too.

Marilyn

dnowicki wrote:
mestanton wrote:
Dave,

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

Here is the second record.

The vocabulary in this record is not the usual vocabulary for a baptismal record because this was not an ordinary baptism. The child Urszula was baptized at home by a village official, Kazimierz Tuszeński because she was in physical distress after her birth. It was a basic ceremony which consisted of Kazimierz reciting the formula, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” while pouring water on her head. When she recovered and grew stronger she was taken to the parish church by Piotr and Jadwiga. The priest “supplied the ceremonies” which are part of the rituals which surround the “main event. This means the priest did things like asking the questions of the profession of faith, anointing the child with holy oil, presenting a lighted candle, etc. Piotr and Jadwiga were technically not her sponsors aka godparents because they had not been present when she was baptized by Kazimierz. (Although it is most likely that they and Urszula’s parents considered them to be her godparents.) The priest entered their names with the correct formula “His caerimonias asistebant…”/at these ceremonies were present…”

The important points to take away from this record are that the actual baptism took place at home and the minister of the baptism was a layman, Kazimierz. In the church the priest did NOT re-baptize her and what took place in church was, in a sense, just putting the finishing touches on the event by going through the various rituals which surround the pouring of the water and the recitation of the baptismal formula.

Hope this clarifies the entry.

Smacznego święconego jajka!

Dave

Body of Entry: Anno Domini Millesimo Octingentesimo Nono die 20ma 8bis Ego Josephus Wypijewski P.P. adimplevi caeremonias supra infantem nomine Ursulam baptisatam in necessitate per Casimirum Tuszeński directorem de Bacharcie. His caerimoniis asistebant Petrus Budny et Hedvigis Bormistrzkowa ambo de Bacharcie Parentum Lucae et Agathae Masczakόw de Bacharcie.

Translation: In the Year of Our Lord 1809 on the 20th day of October, I, Jόzef Wypijewski P.P., supplied the ceremonies for the child by the name of Urszula, baptized in necessity by Kazimierz Tuszeński, the director* from Bacharcie. At these ceremonies Piotr Budny and Jadwiga Bormistrzkowa, both from Bacharcie, were present. The parents (were) Łukasz and Agata Masczak from Bacharcie.

Note: *director: possibly the wojt of the village.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 271, 272, 273  Next Page 126 of 273

Jump to: