PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:15 pm      Post subject: Has anyone used online bank wire services

Hi,

I have been researching the use of online bank wire services such as Western Union, RIA, etc. to send document fees to the Archives in Przemsyl. Using my bank is way too expensive - $45 to send 5 PLN. The online bank services are a lot less. It all seems to go well, until I get to the online forms for the receiving bank. Neither Western Union or RIA have a field in the form for the SWIFT/BIC number. They only request the name of the bank and the IBAN. If I change the country to another European country, like Germany, the SWiFT/BIC field appears. So it seems these companies don't require it for Poland.

Does anyone have experience using these online services to send money to Poland bank accounts? If so, was the transfer successful without the SWIFT/BIC?

I have been trying to reach customer service for these companies without success. Just thought I'd check with this community as well.

Thanks,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:05 am      Post subject: Re: Has anyone used online bank wire services

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi,

I have been researching the use of online bank wire services such as Western Union, RIA, etc. to send document fees to the Archives in Przemsyl. Using my bank is way too expensive - $45 to send 5 PLN. The online bank services are a lot less. It all seems to go well, until I get to the online forms for the receiving bank. Neither Western Union or RIA have a field in the form for the SWIFT/BIC number. They only request the name of the bank and the IBAN. If I change the country to another European country, like Germany, the SWiFT/BIC field appears. So it seems these companies don't require it for Poland.

Does anyone have experience using these online services to send money to Poland bank accounts? If so, was the transfer successful without the SWIFT/BIC?

I have been trying to reach customer service for these companies without success. Just thought I'd check with this community as well.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Cynthia,

As I am quite paranoid with wire-transfer, so I copy/pasted bank transactions for my birth records in December 2014 and have it in my archives.

I also opened up today my French bank online page, starting to add a new SEPA beneficiary, and got the following generic explanation:
To add a new bank account beneficiary for SEPA wire-transfer, only IBAN shall be entered.
Depending on the target country, BIC might be also asked for.

Re: your experience now in the US. I am a little worried, because SEPA should be the same for all European Union + 3 others of European Economic area.

Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: