PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Szymusiak surname
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:50 pm      Post subject: Szymusiak surname

Buck
Replies: 1
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm Post subject: Szymusiak
Hi, all. I think I've got some distant cousins in this thread.

My greatgrandfather is the Josef Szymusiak born circa 1864. We only recently found that this is the family name. When he finally settled in Pennsylvania, he 'borrowed' the neighbors' last name, Shomo, and Szymusiak was lost to us until one of my aunts found an old insurance document.

The 8 year old Josef in the 1912 ship's manifest, traveling with his mother, Katarzyna (Lopata) Szymusiak and his siblings Aniela, Jan, Franciszek and Marya, is my grandfather.

The fact that Josef, Sr. , was visiting a brother-in-law of the last name Lenart in Chicago makes me think that one or more of his sisters had married into the Lenart family.
end quote

Hi Buck,
My great-great grandmother was Anna Szymusiak, she married Jozef Babicz, and their daughter Magdalena married Klemens Lenart. I have to dig out a quote from a researcher about this family.
Cheri
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:55 pm      Post subject:

This was what was given to me:
"In 1893, 26-years-old Klemens "Jangustyn" Lenart (house no. 66) married the 18-years-old Magdalena,
daughter of Joseph Babicz nickname "Bieda" from the house no. 81, and his wife Anna nee Szymusiak
nickname "Łopata" (her father Wojciech lived in the house no. 59) of the V Land of “Łopata”.
After the wedding the young couple lived in the house of Szymusiaks “Łopata” at no. 59 in Załuczne."
I'll write more later.
Cheri
P.S. Do you have Josef Szumusiak's birth month and day?
Buck

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 pm      Post subject: Josef Szymusiak birth date

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:

Do you have Josef Szumusiak's birth month and day?

July 15, 1864

Died June 27, 1948 in Pennsylvania (I think he's buried in Irvona, PA)
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:54 pm      Post subject:

It's really great that you were able to finally find the Szymusiak surname on a document. I don't know if you have done other research with your other side of the family, and know that you can find relatives by house numbers. I have seen some records that Shellie and Bonnie were able to get from the church in Odrowaz when they went to Poland (about 2 miles from Zaluczne, and where the records were kept for Zaluczne from our ancestors time since the church there was built later - maybe 1933). I looked very quickly at some of the records, and did find a Josef Szymusiak who was born in house #59 (where my great grandparents lived after they married). It turns out that he was born in 1812. His parents were Jan Szymusiak and Zofia Lenart. Zofia's father was Maciej Lenart. I'll see what else I can find, but I'm not sure that any records were copied by Shellie or Bonnie from Zaluczne around the time your great grandfather was born. Unfortunately the LDS did not film the church records from our area of Poland. Some of us with ancestors from the area have pitched in to get records from the Archives in Krakow.
Buck

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 pm      Post subject:

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:
It's really great that you were able to finally find the Szymusiak surname on a document. I don't know if you have done other research with your other side of the family, and know that you can find relatives by house numbers. I have seen some records that Shellie and Bonnie were able to get from the church in Odrowaz when they went to Poland (about 2 miles from Zaluczne, and where the records were kept for Zaluczne from our ancestors time since the church there was built later - maybe 1933). I looked very quickly at some of the records, and did find a Josef Szymusiak who was born in house #59 (where my great grandparents lived after they married). It turns out that he was born in 1812. His parents were Jan Szymusiak and Zofia Lenart. Zofia's father was Maciej Lenart. I'll see what else I can find, but I'm not sure that any records were copied by Shellie or Bonnie from Zaluczne around the time your great grandfather was born. Unfortunately the LDS did not film the church records from our area of Poland. Some of us with ancestors from the area have pitched in to get records from the Archives in Krakow.

Unless that's a typo and you meand '1862' and not '1812,' it must be an even more distant ancestor. My great-grandfather died in 1948. Thanks.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:22 pm      Post subject:

No, that wasn't a typo. There were a number of Jozef Szymusiaks. It is only possible that the one born in 1812 was an ancestor. I didn't mean to be confusing. I also wanted to show that there were other Lenart & Szymusiak connections. Descendants have found that we are pretty connected, at the very least we are shirt tail cousins. Is this the record of your great grandfather on a ship manifest:
SZYNNISIAK, Jozef; Possible Alternate Spelling: SZYMUSIAK, Jozef; Age at Arrival: 45; Marital Status: Married; Date of Arrival in the US: Feb 06, 1911; Ship of Travel: Brandenburg; Port of Departure: Bremen; Last Place of Residence and Contact, if Given: Zaluczne; Final Destination and Contact in the US, if Given: Brother-in-law Stanislaw Lopeta, PA; Source: Bremen Passenger Departure Lists, 1904-1914, Manifest Line Number: 0001. It looks like his contact in Zaluczne was his wife Kata.

I am confused by Katarzyna and children's ship manifest. You are sure that that is your grandfather Josef and siblings? The reason I ask is that Jacob Kalec is her contact in Zaluczne and it says that he is her father and the children's grandfather. That wouldn't be the first mistake on a manifest. He could be a stepfather, or there could have been a different misunderstanding.

Last edited by Cheri Vanden Berg on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 pm      Post subject:

I should have noticed on Josef's 1911 manifest that he had been in the U.S. before. I can't read the years. When Stanislaw Lopata arrived Mar 27, 1902, it said he was going to his brother-in-law Szymusiak, there was no first name given. It probably was Josef.
Buck

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:48 pm      Post subject:

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:
No, that wasn't a typo. There were a number of Jozef Szymusiaks. It is only possible that the one born in 1812 was an ancestor. I didn't mean to be confusing. I also wanted to show that there were other Lenart & Szymusiak connections. Descendants have found that we are pretty connected, at the very least we are shirt tail cousins. Is this the record of your great grandfather on a ship manifest:
SZYNNISIAK, Jozef; Possible Alternate Spelling: SZYMUSIAK, Jozef; Age at Arrival: 45; Marital Status: Married; Date of Arrival in the US: Feb 06, 1911; Ship of Travel: Brandenburg; Port of Departure: Bremen; Last Place of Residence and Contact, if Given: Zaluczne; Final Destination and Contact in the US, if Given: Brother-in-law Stanislaw Lopeta, PA; Source: Bremen Passenger Departure Lists, 1904-1914, Manifest Line Number: 0001. It looks like his contact in Zaluczne was his wife Kata.

I am confused by Katarzyna and children's ship manifest. You are sure that that is your grandfather Josef and siblings? The reason I ask is that Jacob Kolec is her contact in Zaluczne and it says that he is her father and the children's father. That wouldn't be the first mistake on a manifest. He could be a stepfather, or there could have been a different misunderstanding.

That's definately my grandpa at age 8 and his siblings. I'm thinking Jacob Kolec was just misrecorded as her husband/children's father. She and Josef Szymusiak/Shomo are buried side by side, and I think one died within a month of another, as often happens with older folks who have been married for long.

Yeah- I'm thinking there were a lot of Josefs and Jans over the generations. Thanks for the info.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 pm      Post subject:

One thing I don't always pay attention to on a passenger list is if that person has been to the U.S. before. Now I see Katarzyna Szymusiak was here before 1912. I see her arriving in NY in 1905 with her children Aniela 2, and Jozef 2 months. She was coming to her husband Jozef's in Vanormer, PA. She had also been in the U.S. before that. I think it says 1902/1904, so if they were here in between those years, maybe she just went back for a visit in 1905, and again in 1912. Maybe you know all that already?

I am curious if Josef originally went to Chicago. I found about 4 Szymusiaks that married in Chicago from Zaluczne. I will post them to this thread when I sort through the information. Maybe it will help someone with Szymusiak ancestors. I did find a John Szymusiak that married a Frances in Chicago, and ended up in PA - Altoona and another town. I don't suppose you know yet if he is related, since you've just recently found that your Joseph Shomo was originally a Szymusiak?

I found a little newspaper blurb from 1939 in the Altoona Mirror. that said Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Shomo and family spent the past weekend with relatives Altoona. Of course there's no way of knowing WHICH Joseph Shomo that was...
Buck

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:13 pm      Post subject:

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:
One thing I don't always pay attention to on a passenger list is if that person has been to the U.S. before. Now I see Katarzyna Szymusiak was here before 1912. I see her arriving in NY in 1905 with her children Aniela 2, and Jozef 2 months. She was coming to her husband Jozef's in Vanormer, PA. She had also been in the U.S. before that. I think it says 1902/1904, so if they were here in between those years, maybe she just went back for a visit in 1905, and again in 1912. Maybe you know all that already?

I am curious if Josef originally went to Chicago. I found about 4 Szymusiaks that married in Chicago from Zaluczne. I will post them to this thread when I sort through the information. Maybe it will help someone with Szymusiak ancestors. I did find a John Szymusiak that married a Frances in Chicago, and ended up in PA - Altoona and another town. I don't suppose you know yet if he is related, since you've just recently found that your Joseph Shomo was originally a Szymusiak?

I found a little newspaper blurb from 1939 in the Altoona Mirror. that said Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Shomo and family spent the past weekend with relatives Altoona. Of course there's no way of knowing WHICH Joseph Shomo that was...

Well, according to everything we had up to this point, my grandfather Joe Shomo was said to have been born in Van Ormer, PA in 1904. However, the ships' manifests sure make it look like he was born in Poland- the trip over when he was only a few months old in 1905, and the 1912 manifest which shows him as born in Poland.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 am      Post subject:

Yes, it does look like your grandfather was likely born in Poland. He might not have even known that.

Do you have the death certificates for your great grandparents? They could possibly have their parents names on them. You could get them for $3. each. There is a death application form that you can download at this site:
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/public_records/20686
As you said, Joseph Shomo died June 27, 1948 in Irvona. The State file number you need for his death certificate is 51604. Catherine Shomo died July 26, 1948 in Coalport. Her State file number is 60622.
Buck

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 pm      Post subject: Update

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:
Yes, it does look like your grandfather was likely born in Poland. He might not have even known that.

Do you have the death certificates for your great grandparents? They could possibly have their parents names on them. You could get them for $3. each. There is a death application form that you can download at this site:
As you said, Joseph Shomo died June 27, 1948 in Irvona. The State file number you need for his death certificate is 51604. Catherine Shomo died July 26, 1948 in Coalport. Her State file number is 60622.

Thanks- I'll check it out.

I'd like to find some Szymusiak relatives, since I started the ball rolling on a Shomo (Szymusiak) family reunion in central Pennsylvania this August 3. My sisters and cousins are putting together some details, but it would be fun for some long-lost relatives to get together, like we were lucky enough to do last September with some relatives we didn't even know we had in Minnesota.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:37 pm      Post subject:

There is a Charlene that left a message on the Malopolskie, Poland message board that said she'd "very much like to connect with others researching these names". She didn't leave a e-mail address, so you'd have to communicate on the message board:
http://tinyurl.com/cdoyv33

It looks like she is a descendant of John Szymusiak who married Frances in Chicago, and at some point moved to Pennsylvania. He lived in Altoona, and I had wondered if that is who the Joseph Shomo family was visiting in Altoona, when I read that in the old newspaper.

These were some of the Szymusiaks that I found married in Chicago. According to the church records, they were the children of Jan Szymusiak and Jozefa Bielanska from ZALUCZNE. in the St. John Cantius records, it said Marcyanna was baptized in Zaluczne. Later, St. Adalbert included where the wedding couple was baptised, but not in the records of these 3 couples that married there.

Wincenty Szymusiak married Genowefa Kowlaczyk 15 June, 1892 at St. Adalbert

Aniela Szymusiak married Stanislaw Grela July 26 1892 at St. Adalbert

Marcyanna Szymusiak married Wojciech Bielak 10 Nov 1896 at St. John Cantius

Jan Szymusiak married Frances Wcislak 10 Sep 1907 at St. Adalbert

I wonder how closely they might be related to your Joseph.
There are others on the Malopolskie message board that are researching the Szymusiak name.
Buck

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm      Post subject:

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:

How did you find them in that data for the certificate number (I'd like to try for my mother's mother as well)? I went to the link, and the names aren't in alphabetical order. I tried a search and it said 0 responses, even when I did a test for a name on my screen. Did you go through all 266 pages?
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:22 pm      Post subject:

Quote:
How did you find them in that data for the certificate number (I'd like to try for my mother's mother as well)? I went to the link, and the names aren't in alphabetical order. I tried a search and it said 0 responses, even when I did a test for a name on my screen. Did you go through all 266 pages?

First of all, the $3.00 Pennsylvania death records include the dates 1906-1962. There must be instructions on this site for other dates. I don't know when your mother died, but I thought I mention that.

I'm glad you asked, once I looked for someone the hard way, even though this site said they used the Soundex code. In the early years they are in alphabetical order, but then they use the Soundex code. For anyone that doesn't know about that, I found this definition online:
The Soundex system is the means established by the National Archives to index the U.S. censuses (beginning with 1880). It codes together surnames of the same and similar sounds but of variant spellings. Soundexes are arranged by state, Soundex code of the surname, and given name.

Soundex codes begin with the first letter of the surname followed by a three-digit code that represents the (first three) remaining consonants. Let the Soundex converter do the tricky work for you and capture the nuances of the coding scheme (such as coding adjacent like letters as one). Enter above the surname that you want coded.

Soundex Coding Guide

1 = B,P,F,V
2 = C,S,G,J,K,Q,X,Z
3 = D,T
4 = L
5 = M,N
6 = R

The letters A,E,I,O,U,Y,H, and W are not coded.

Note that surname prefixes such as van, Von, Di, de, le, D', dela, or du are sometimes disregarded in alphabetizing and in coding.

This site will give the soundex code for a surname:
http://resources.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/soundexconverter
The Soundex code for Shomo is S500

So at the site, you click death indices, then click the year if you know the year (otherwise you'll probably need to search multiple years). For your grandparents I then clicked D-48 S-Spdf. Then up comes a bunch of 3 letter combinations with 3 number combinations. I chose SLA 455 because S500 would come after that and before SHI 512. Then I scrolled down to the 500s. The Soundex number is after the S, which is after the town where they died.

I'm not sure if I explained it well, so if you have any further questions, just ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 1 of 4

Jump to: