PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Szymusiak surname
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:01 pm      Post subject:

Yes, they were Maciej Szymusiak and Kate Krzysiak. They were from Ciche. James and Andrew also had brothers Wojciech and Joseph. I believe there were 2 sisters, as well.
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:12 am      Post subject:

Hi GenGirl,
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I've been slowly trying to sort through the Szymusiaks in the Podhale area, more specifically from Zaluczne. Do you have any idea if your Maciej could have been from Zaluczne or Podszkle-Bukowina (which are about 3 miles apart. Ciche is about 13 miles from Zaluczne)? It seems like awhile back I had found a Szymusiak from Zaluczne, that went back to Poland to visit relatives in Ciche, so I wondered about the connection. I'd really have to go back and look for that information though.

My great-great grandmother Anna Szymusiak's father was Wojciech (from Zaluczne). I've actually been helping a little on another Wojciech Szymusiaks family. He might have been born in 1848, and had a brother name Maciej born about 1842. I know you said that your Maciej had a son named Wojciech, but do you know if he had a brother named Wojciech? This Wojciech had a daughter Bronislawa in Zaluczne in 1875, but moved to Podszkle-Bokowina (about 3 miles from Zaluczne). Wojciech and his wife had at least 3 other children, Karolina, Anna, and Istvan (Steve Shimshock was his name in the U.S.), who settled in Fayette County, PA. Do you know if this family is related to yours?

Thanks again,
Cheri
GenGirl

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:41 pm      Post subject:

Hi Cheri,

I have not been able to find any earlier ancestors, so far. It is possible that Maciej was originally from Zaluczne. I think that the only info. I have on him is a birth and death year, but I do not have it with me. I have been away for the winter and all my info. is back home.

I, too, have done research on other Szymusiak lines. I remember reading about a Wojciech going to his cousin Wojciech in Chicago. Not sure about the connection to the family. My grandfather James died at 23, and is the Jacenty on findagrave.com. I know that his brother Joseph went back to Poland for health reasons, and is buried there. I believe that Joseph had a daughter Bronislawa. She and her husband are also buried in Poland. Joseph had other children who lived in Chicago.

Sometime in April, I'll get back home and look up some of these names in my database. I have some data on the John Szymusiak family from Chicago and Altoona, PA., and their lines from Zaluczne.
GenGirl

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:23 pm      Post subject: Sophie Orszulak

Ute wrote:
GenGirl,
I have a question concerning your grandmother Mary's aunt Zofia Orszulak in Chicago. Was Orszulak her married name or her maiden name? Do you know who Zofia Orszulak's parents were?
I have Dlugopolski from Dlugopole near Nowy Targ (not far away from Ciche/Chocholow) in my family tree and found out that a 'Rofia Orszulak', b abt. 1893, married a Jan Dlugopolski, b abt. 1887 on 11 Jan 1917 in Chicago. They had a daughter Irene Dlugopolski, b 17 Dec 1917 in Chicago who died 04 Sep 1921. The family's residence was at 1758, W. 19th St., Chicago when Irene died.
There is another marriage of Orszulak, Zofia, daughter of Michal Orszulak and Agnieska Banas, to Bachara, Szymon, son of Jan Bachara and Maryanna Pysek, 9-17-1906, St. John Cantius Church, Chicago. However, this Zofia Orszulak was from the pow. of Dabrowa, Galicia and not from Ciche or Chocholow in the district of Nowy Targ.
Ute

Ute,
Thanks to Joe Kolodziej, I have verified that Sophie Orszulak (later Dlugopolski) was the aunt Zofia that my grandmother lived with when she first came to Chicago in 1913. The address I have for her and the address listed for Sophie's death are a match. As both of you stated, Zofia (Rofia on the marriage record) married Jan Dlugopolski on 11 Jan 1917 in Chicago. Sophie died on 10 Oct 1918, and was buried on 14 Oct 1918 at St. Adalbert Cemetery. Apparently, John moved with his daughter to 1758 W. 19th St. Daughter Irene was buried at St. Adalbert Cemetery on 6 Sep 1921.

I have a postcard photo of my grandmother and an unknown lady, probably Sophie Orszulak.
GenGirl

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 am      Post subject: Parents of Alexandra Gall

Shellie,

Stanley Gall and my mother were 2nd cousins, and the families were very close.

I'm correcting Stan's family tree that you posted:
Alexandra Papierz, b. 14 Feb 1898, was the daughter of Jedrzej (Andrew) Papierz and Rosalia Orszulak. Rosalia had a sister, Regina Orszulak, who married Maczyi (Maciej) Papierz, brother of Andrew Papierz.

The uncle Szymusiak that Stan spoke about was the husband of Mary Papierz, daughter of Regina & Maczyi Papierz.

Alexandra & John Gall had 3 sons:
John Gall Jr., b. 24 Jun 1921
Walter J., b. 21 May 1924
Stanley J., b. 09 May 1927

All 3 boys served in WWII, as did Walter Ozmina, Mary's son from her 2nd marriage to Sylvester Ozmina.

The attached photo was taken at the wedding of Walter Gall in 1949.

16 Jan 1949.jpg
 Description:
Stan Gall, Wally Ozmina, Wally Gall, Johnny Gall
 Filesize:  500.69 KB
 Viewed:  8095 Time(s)

16 Jan 1949.jpg

GenGirl

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:10 pm      Post subject: Children of Joseph Orszulak and Anna Sperla

"Joseph ORSZULAK and Anna SPERLA had the following children:

3. i. MARYANNA 'MARY'3 ORSZULAK was born in Jul 1886 in Austria-Poland. She died on 1 Oct 1967. She married ANDREW MATEJA. He was born on 28 Aug 1881 in Poland. He died on 21 Nov 1965 in Chicago.

ii. ANTONIA 'ANTOINETTE' ORSZULAK was born in Sep 1888 in Austria-Poland. She married N.N. KAPUSCIARZ.

4. iii. ANIELA 'ANGELINE' 'NELLIE' ORSZULAK was born on 11 Feb 1895 in Chicago. She died on 09 Nov 1966 in Chicago. She married Jan 'John' KACZMARCZYK or KACZMAREK, son of Jan KACZMARCZYK and Katarzyna MIETUS on 14 Oct 1911 in Chicago. He was born on 30 Jun 1890 in Austria-Poland. He died on 27 May 1976 in Chicago."

I found a birth and baptism in St. Adalbert church records in Chicago for Franciscum Alexander, b. 1 Aug 1901, and bap. 4 Aug. 1901. Parents were Joseph Urszulak (sp.?) and Anna Sperla.
GenGirl

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:30 pm      Post subject:

Here is a follow-up of marriage information for Andrew Mateja & Maryanna Orszulak.

Marriage Index for Polish Parishes in Chicago through 1915:
"Matea, Andrew Orszulak, Maria 9-29-1902 St. Adalbert Church 1704766 3 166 3"

Marriage License issued on Sept. 17, 1902:
"Andrzej Mateja, 22
Maryanna Ourzula, 19"

Andrzej Mateja marriage license.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Andrzej Mateja marriage license.pdf
 Filesize:  55.27 KB
 Downloaded:  576 Time(s)

bpatshomz

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:03 pm      Post subject: Jozef Szymusiak

My great grandfather Jozef Szymusiak was born around 1864 in Poland. On his US Dept of Justice Alien Registration form he states that he was born in or near Wus Yolumi, Poland. Does anybody recognize this town? On his New York Port of Arrival Passenger List he lists his last place off residence as Zaluczne, Poland.
Send e-mail
lkocanda

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:04 am      Post subject: Re: Angela Mateja's parents

jkoloj wrote:
Adalbert Kocanda(born in Odrowaz)was the son of John & Anne Majchrowicz(sp?) and he married Angela Mateja(also born in Odrowaz) on 5/20/1916 at St. Adalbert's in Chicago. She was the daughter of John & Agnes Las. The marriage witnesses were Fabian Kocanda and Joseph Mateja...seems odd to have to male names but that's the way it reads, but maybe Joseph was actually supposed to be Josepha. In a related marriage, John Mateja,(son of John and Agnes Las) married Carol Kocenda(Kocanda?)(daughter of Andreas and Trca Stopka) on 10/27/1912. John was from Odrowaz, but Carol was from Zaluczne. Witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal.
Per the PGSA database, Adalbert(Wojciech) died on 10/5/1969.
I also found a marriage record for Adalbert's brother, Fabian on 1/23/1926 at St Adalberts. Fabian(age 27) married Anna Sieczka(age 1Cool daughter of Bartholemew and Maria Gal. Fabian was baptized in Odrowaz, but Anna was baptized at St John Cantius in Chicago, per the marriage record.

John,
Anna was born in the US while her parents were here on vacation...they returned to Poland and then she came back when she was about 16 and stayed with her uncle Joseph Gall...
My husband is Anna's grandson so any information on both family would be great
Lisa
jkoloj

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 pm      Post subject:

Lisa, I do have some additional information that you might find useful, however it would be too bulky to put everything in here. Check your messages for a note I sent you.

Joe Kolodziej

Send e-mail
grymka

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:27 pm      Post subject: Re: The descendants of Jan Mateja and Agnes Las

Ute wrote:
jkoloj wrote:
... In a related marriage, John Mateja,(son of John and Agnes Las) married Carol Kocenda(Kocanda?)(daughter of Andreas and Trca Stopka) on 10/27/1912. John was from Odrowaz, but Carol was from Zaluczne. Witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal.

My latest update of the descendants of Jan Mateja and Agnes Las of Odrowaz looks as follows (still incomplete, so all additions and corrections are very welcome. I hope it will be helpful to those of us who are connected to this family):

Descendants of Jan 'John' MATEJA and Agnieszka 'Agnes' LAS

Generation 1

1. JAN 'JOHN'1 MATEJA . He married AGNIESZKA 'AGNES' LAS.
Jan 'John' MATEJA and Agnieszka 'Agnes' LAS had the following children:

2. i. ROZALIA 'ROSE'2 MATEJA was born abt 1884 in Odrowaz. She died in Jul 1975. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune on July 16, 1975. She married Pjotr 'Peter' BRYJAK, son of Andrzej BRYJAK and Anna KOWALKOWSKA, on 08 May 1906 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Joanne [Jan] Kujawski and Michaele [Michal?] Jaworski. Pjotr ‘Peter’ was born on 26 Jan 1885 in Dlugopole. He died in Apr 1967. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune on April 22, 1967.

3. ii. ANGELINE 'ANGELA' MATEJA was born on 12 Feb 1893 in Odrowaz. She died in Dec 1977 in Glen Ellynn, Du Page, Illinois.The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune on 14 Dec 1977. She married Wojciech 'Adalbert/Albert' KOCANDA, son of Jan 'John' Kanty KOCANDA and Anna MAJCHROWICZ on 20 May 1916 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Fabian Kocanda and Joseph[a?] Mateja. He was born on 15 Apr 1890 in Zaluczne or Odrowaz. He died on 05 Oct 1969 in Berwyn, Cook, Illinois.

4. iii. JAN 'JOHN' MATEJA was born abt 1889 in Odrowaz. He married Karolina KOCANDA, daughter of Andrew KOCANDA and N.N. STOPKA on 27 Oct 1912 in Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal. She was born on ?? in Zaluczne. She died in Mar 1973. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune on 1973-03-19.

Generation 2

2. ROZALIA 'ROSE'2 MATEJA (Jan 'John'1) was born abt 1884 in Odrowaz. She died in Jul 1975. She married Pjotr 'Peter' BRYJAK, son of Andrzej BRYJAK and Anna KOWALKOWSKA on 08 May 1906 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. He was born on 26 Jan 1885 in Dlugopole. He died in Apr 1967. The obituary appeared in the 'Chicago Tribune' on Apr 22, 1967.

When the 1910 US Federal Census was taken, the Bryjak family lived in Chicago, Ward 11: Peter Brijak M 24y Parent Rosie Brijak F 23y Andrew Brijak M 3y John Brijak M 1y John Matia M 17y.

Pjotr 'Peter' BRYJAK and Rozalia 'Rose' MATEJA had the following children:

i. Andrzej 'ANDREW'3 BRYJAK was born abt 1907. He died on 09 Feb 1949. He married MARY N.N.

ii. Jan 'JOHN' BRYJAK was born on 10 Feb 1909. He died in Nov 1980. He married MAXINE N.N.

iii. STANISLAW BRYJAK was born in Mar 1913 in Poland. He died on 15 May 1913 in New York.

Notes for Stanislaw BRYJAK:
Stanislaw Bryjak was most likely born in Odrowaz during his mother's visit to Poland. Rozalia Mateja-Bryjak, indexed as Bryje, Rosalia, returned to the US on board of the steamship ‘Antonia’ that left Hamburg on Apr 26, 1913 and arrived at the port of New York on May 12, 1913. Rozalia was accompanied by her four children, Andrzej, 6 ys old, US born; Jan, 3 ys old, US born; Jozef, 2 ys old, US born; and Stanislaw, 2 months old [never before in the US]. According to the passenger record, their last residence abroad was with their father-in-law resp. grandfather Jozef Bryje in Odrowaz, their destination in the US was Chicago where they were going to join their husband resp. father Pjotr Bryja at 1723, 18th St.

Stanislaw who was abt. 2 months old at the time didn't survive. He died two days after their arrival at the port of New York on May 15, 1913 in a hospital in New York.

iv. HELEN BRYJAK was born on 11 Apr 1914 in Chicago. She died on 17 Jul 1914 in Chicago of cerebral meningitis.

v. ANGELINE BRYJAK was born on 06 Jun 1915 in Chicago.

vi. HELEN BRYJAK was born on 06 Jun 1918 in Chicago. She died on 24 Oct 1936 in Chicago.

vii. PETER BRYJAK JR was born on 23 Jun 1918 in Chicago. He married CATHERINE N.N.

5. viii. Agnieszka 'AGNES' BRYJAK was born on 11 May 1920 in Chicago. She married EDWARD C. SNYDER. He was born on 14 Jan 1915. He died in Aug 1976 in Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois.

6. ix. Franciszek 'FRANK' BRYJAK.

x. Zofia 'SOPHIE' BRYJAK. She married JOHN RUSSELL KACZMAREK.

xi. Jozef 'JOSEPH' BRYJAK. He married CHARLOTTE N.N.

---
3. ANGELINE 'ANGELA'2 MATEJA (Jan 'John'1) was born on 12 Feb 1893 in Odrowaz. She died in Dec 1977 in Glen Ellynn, Du Page, Illinois. She married Wojciech 'Adalbert or Albert' KOCANDA, son of Jan 'John' Kanty KOCANDA and Anna MAJCHROWICZ on 20 May 1916 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. He was born on 15 Apr 1890 in Zaluczne or Odrowaz. He died on 05 Oct 1969 in Berwyn, Cook, Illinois.

Wojciech 'Adalbert or Albert' KOCANDA and Angeline 'Angela' MATEJA had the following children:

i. BERNICE3 KOCANDA was born abt 1920 in Illinois, USA. She married MICHAEL FEDEROWICZ.

ii. VALERIA STEPHANIE KOCANDA was born on 16 Feb 1927 in Chicago. She married JOHN PETER MICHELLI. He was born on 02 Feb 1926 in Hammond, USA.

6. iii. JOHN A. KOCANDA was born on 15 Feb 1917 in Illinois. He died in Aug 1998. He married LORETTA D. KACZMARCZYK on 15 May 1948 in Cook County, Illinois. She was born on 15 Jan 1924 in Chicago. She died on 06 Dec 2008 in West Chicago, Du Page, Illinois.

--
4. JAN 'JOHN'2 MATEJA (Jan 'John'1) was born abt 1889 in Odrowaz. He married Karolina KOCANDA, daughter of Andrew KOCANDA and N.N. STOPKA on 27 Oct 1912 in Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal. She was born in Zaluczne and died in Mar 1973 in the US. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1973-03-19.

Notes for Jan 'John' MATEJA:
Jan Mateja returned to the US on Dec 08, 1923 on board of the SS 'Paris' that left LeHavre on Dec 01, 1923 and arrived at the port of New York on Dec 08, 1923. Jan was 34 ys old at the time, married, Polish, calling or occupation: agricul., last permanent residence abroad: Odrowaz, with wife Mateja, Karolina. His destination in the US was his brother-in-law Peter Bryjak at 9244 Dopien Ave., Boreside, Illinois [funny misspelling -- the correct address is Dauphin Ave., Burnside, Illinois]. He indicated that he had been in the US/Chicago before in 1905.

Jan 'John' MATEJA and Karolina KOCANDA had the following children:

i. JOSEPH3 MATEJA.

ii. STEPHANIE MATEJA.

iii. WALTER MATEJA.

iv. JOHN MATEJA.

v. EDWARD MATEJA.

vi. BRUNO MATEJA.

Generation 3

5. AGNES3 BRYJAK (Rozalia 'Rose'2 MATEJA, Jan 'John'1 MATEJA) was born on 11 May 1920 in Chicago. She married EDWARD C. SNYDER. He was born on 14 Jan 1915. He died in Aug 1976 in Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1976-08-22.

6. JOHN A.3 KOCANDA (Angeline 'Angela'2 MATEJA, Jan 'John'1 MATEJA) was born on 15 Feb 1917 in Illinois. He died in Aug 1998. He married LORETTA D. KACZMARCZYK 15 May 1948 in Cook County, Illinois. She was born on 15 Jan 1924 in Chicago. She died on 06 Dec 2008 in West Chicago, Du Page, Illinois.

Hi,

I found this forum by accident, but it seems that I can find here a lot of useful information about my family too. Ute, can you please tell, where do you have information about STEPHANIE MATEJA daugther of Jan and Karolina Mateja from? I am great granddaughter of Jan & Karolina and granddaugther of Bruno Mateja and I have never heard about Stephanie. As far as I know my grandfather had only brothers (two more should be listed (Stanisław - 1922 and Wincenty - 1931), but they both died in the age of 1 or 2 probably. I would really appreciate your answer.

Also, Rozalia, Angela and John had one more sister - Katarzyna Mateja. She was born in Poland in 1882 and died in 1963. She was married to Wincenty Fudala.

Jan Kanty Mateja (father of Katarzyna, Rozalia, Jan and Agnela/Aniela) was born in Poland in 1861 and died in December 1940. His wife Agnes (Agnieszka) was born in 1860 and died in December 1910. Jan Kanty had second wife (Rozalia Karpiel) but they hadn't have any children.

The father of Jan Kanty Mateja - Jan Mateja was born in 1837 and was married to Maria Mateja, nee Gal (1838).

I am trying to prepare my family genealogy tree, so I hope I will have more information in the near future.

Best regards,
Aleksandra
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:11 am      Post subject: Re: The descendants of Jan Mateja and Agnes Las

Quote:
Ute, can you please tell, where do you have information about STEPHANIE MATEJA daugther of Jan and Karolina Mateja from? I am great granddaughter of Jan & Karolina and granddaugther of Bruno Mateja and I have never heard about Stephanie. As far as I know my grandfather had only brothers (two more should be listed (Stanisław - 1922 and Wincenty - 1931), but they both died in the age of 1 or 2 probably. I would really appreciate your answer.

Aleksandra,
I checked my family tree to find the source of information about Stephanie Mateja and, to my surprise, noticed that she wasn't in my family tree at all. I only have the sons of Jan and Karolina Mateja that you mentioned. I have no idea why Stephanie's name was included in the family history I posted, it seems that some kind of mistake occurred that I didn't notice until now. Thank you so much for correcting that!

Thank you also for the additional information you provided. Our families are connected through Pjotr 'Peter' Bryjak (1885-1967) who married Rozalia 'Rose' Matyja (1885-1975), daughter of Jan Kanty Matyja and Agnieszka 'Agnes' Las. Peter is my first cousin 2x removed.
Ute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Page 4 of 4

Jump to: