PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:58 am      Post subject: Narodowe Archiwum Cyfrowe | Polish National Archives on line

While http://szukajwarchiwach.pl - search in databases in state archives is providing access to more and more scans in Poland, there is at least one area still in limbo, nothing or almost nothing in Przemyśl.

I do not know why nothing happen with those old records in Przemyśl, no single information about what they should have, what they have, and what are plans.
Frankly, I cannot even enjoy all nice pictures the NAC puts online, because of the great void, the nothingness of Przemyśl archives, annihilation of Galicia from memories.

Not only the Yalta's agreements after the WWII have had, practically speaking, put on exile Polish soldiers from Kresy, who could never came back home.

Not only after the WWII for tens of years we could not speak about the past, we could not write, but 100 years later we can not even get an access to old vital records to mend the fragmented information that we have on our ancestors.

So what's going on with Przemyśl state archives, with parishes archives, with Roman Catholic's churches archives?

What are you doing you, priests in Poland, to keep our metrics hidden from us? Why are you annihilating our memories? How can we help you to get our families back?

Elzbieta
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:43 am      Post subject: Re: Narodowe Archiwum Cyfrowe | Polish National Archives on

Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:
While http://szukajwarchiwach.pl - search in databases in state archives is providing access to more and more scans in Poland, there is at least one area still in limbo, nothing or almost nothing in Przemyśl.

I do not know why nothing happen with those old records in Przemyśl, no single information about what they should have, what they have, and what are plans.
Frankly, I cannot even enjoy all nice pictures the NAC puts online, because of the great void, the nothingness of Przemyśl archives, annihilation of Galicia from memories.

Not only the Yalta's agreements after the WWII have had, practically speaking, put on exile Polish soldiers from Kresy, who could never came back home.

Not only after the WWII for tens of years we could not speak about the past, we could not write, but 100 years later we can not even get an access to old vital records to mend the fragmented information that we have on our ancestors.

So what's going on with Przemyśl state archives, with parishes archives, with Roman Catholic's churches archives?

What are you doing you, priests in Poland, to keep our metrics hidden from us? Why are you annihilating our memories? How can we help you to get our families back?

Elzbieta

From what I have seen in Family Search catalog, there are only filmss containing records about military personnel.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:35 pm      Post subject:

Hello, i am not tracking what Przemyśl Archives releases online, but i believe some of great amount of time is spending on scanning catastral maps in Przemyśl archives. These scans (huge project) are gonna be released until this year. Maps of villiges and towns with operats gives nice clue which houses our ancestors were living (or which places, since houses are rather nonexisting).
I understand your nostalgia about Kresy. I got interested about it some time ago. While being poor this area was also beautiful and natural. Quite period of time that probably never come back.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:34 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Daniel.

My basic goal is to get records of my grandparents, and then great grandparents. My kids do not speak Polish.

Just posted my plea to the NAC, bilingual (I may add in French, should they so wish).

Best,
Elzbieta
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:54 am      Post subject:

I am sure they possess vital records from Przemyśl city and around. For remote research they probably wish to pay them. Please share information from them if you get. Maybe they have plan to release some in near future?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:17 am      Post subject:

Elzbieta & Daniel,

The main page of the Polish National Archives (www.archiwa.gov.pl) provides information about which vital records are held in the various archives and branch archives. There are no scans but it acts like a catalog of records held by the archives. The site is language friendly for Polish and English. To learn what vital records are held by the archives on the right of the home page click on bazy danych/data bases. When the page opens scroll down to PRADZIAD. Then click on the Pradziad Search Engine and enter the archive location you want to search.

The Przemysl Archive seems to have a rather complete set of Greek Catholic (Eastern Rite Catholic) records, as well as Jewish and Protestant records. Unfortunately, the holdings of Roman Catholic records is limited. The holdings are limited to the civil transcripts (akta stanu cywilnego) for the years 1889-1902.

Elzbieta,
It makes me wonder whether Austria did not turn over the civil transcripts for the years prior to 1889 to the Polish Archives. Perhaps the are hidden in some archive in Austria. Since all during the years of the partitions the Austrian authorities kept detailed civil transcripts of vital records it is hard to believe that the records were never submitted. Unless they were lost to war or fire one would think they exist somewhere.

Nie za pozno. Dzieci jeszcze moga sie uczyc mowic po polsku.

Dave
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:38 pm      Post subject:

Update:
Przemyśl National Archive publicated some scans http://www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/news/announcements/236-skany-online.html?lang=en
they didnt send to szukajwarchiwach, instead they use their own server, page with scans here http://www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/skany/
this might be very interesting for people looking for their roots in Galicia. This is just a start. Records include cadastral maps and parish records.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:39 am      Post subject:

sirdan wrote:
Update:
Przemyśl National Archive publicated some scans http://www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/news/announcements/236-skany-online.html?lang=en
they didnt send to szukajwarchiwach, instead they use their own server, page with scans here http://www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/skany/
this might be very interesting for people looking for their roots in Galicia. This is just a start. Records include cadastral maps and parish records.

Thank you!

Why Przemyśl is not complying with the decided national system of archives? That is Bad Thing.

But it seems they have indexed some records, at least I can extract a file of 4865 lines, such as (random two lines):
"Kilian Salomea, c. Bartłomieja i Marianny zd. Czesnar"
or
"Lorenc Wojciech, wdowiec po Reginie zd. Pieczonka, s. Antoniego i Marianny zd. Wlazło"

They have a book of records from Gac (2 km from Markowa), 1890, where on marriage page one can see people from Markowa too. I could not yet understand if 4865 lines are from Gac book.

As you say: "This is just a start." Hope we will have all of them!

Best,
Elzbieta
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:03 am      Post subject:

Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:

Why Przemyśl is not complying with the decided national system of archives? That is Bad Thing.

Best,
Elzbieta

I have found many records in Poczekalnia that are not available through ZoSIA. How is that?
If people in PTG were able to have those records scanned and made available online, why the national system is not?

Just trying to figure out.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:44 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Elzbieta & Daniel,

Elzbieta,
It makes me wonder whether Austria did not turn over the civil transcripts for the years prior to 1889 to the Polish Archives. Perhaps the are hidden in some archive in Austria. Since all during the years of the partitions the Austrian authorities kept detailed civil transcripts of vital records it is hard to believe that the records were never submitted. Unless they were lost to war or fire one would think they exist somewhere.

Dave

I wrote to a researcher in Kraków about the records for my grandmother's village Załuczne, which is in the Kraków Archdiocese, which had been in the Austrian partition (Galicia). There are missing years in the Archdiocese Archives, so I asked him if they had these years in the National Archives. It turns out that they don't have any copies of church records for Załuczne. I had read that the church was supposed to send copies to the state, and when I asked him about that, he said that in Galicia they were not required to do that. Unfortunate news...
Cheri
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:30 am      Post subject:

Regardless of where they are posted, at least there are some records from Przemyśl online. I know I am a novice and am still trying to make sense out of what I find. But I am happy to have anything I can research.

I was pleased to find some scans from Unit #1712 (Roman Catholic Parish at Manasterz) "Nr zespołu 1712, Akta stanu cywilnego Parafii Rzymskokatolickiej w Manasterzu" at http://www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/skany/

Manasterz is REALLY close to where my Sowa ancestors were from (Sietesz) and some records show them in the Manasterz parish as well. While some of the Manasterz records are available, I am sure there are more that haven't been scanned or made available yet. Is there a place where I can learn what parishes will be scanned in the future?

thanks,
Richard
lucusc
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:24 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Elzbieta & Daniel,

The Przemysl Archive seems to have a rather complete set of Greek Catholic (Eastern Rite Catholic) records, as well as Jewish and Protestant records. Unfortunately, the holdings of Roman Catholic records is limited. The holdings are limited to the civil transcripts (akta stanu cywilnego) for the years 1889-1902.

Dave

Yes, the Roman Catholic ones are available only in paper form at the Diocesan Archive in Przemyśl

lucusc
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:27 am      Post subject:

rsowa wrote:
Is there a place where I can learn what parishes will be scanned in the future?

thanks,
Richard

I've been to the archive today and was told they are working on the records from the former Greek Catholic diocese of Przemyśl. Roman Catholic records 1826-1889 are available at the Diocesan Archive in Przemyśl, only in paper form...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: