PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:34 am      Post subject: Kalisch and Kuczinski

Hello,
In my research, a few branches of my family had virtually no clues. One such line was my grandmother's grandparents. Both names of Ignatius Kichensky and Mary Mengensky getting married in 1900 led virtually nowhere, besides Mary having 4 husbands, Ignatius being the first. Besides Ignatius death certificate in 1940, a WWI registration card under Kiczynski, and random city register records under very bad spellings, it led nowhere. Then I found his obituary, that said he had arrived 45 years before, say around 1895. Then I saw this record for Ignatz Kuczinski in NY arrivals, and a Ignatz Kuczinski and Hamburg departures in 1895, line 199 on the first page. Is Kalisch the same as Kalisz? And are their records accessable for around Dec 1875. My only other clue for Ignatius was in his obituary, it said he had a sister in Chicago, but no name. Not much of a clue.
Thanks
John

Ignatius Kuczynski hamburg departure 1895.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  4745 Time(s)

Ignatius Kuczynski hamburg departure 1895.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Kalisch and Kuczinski

starkey76 wrote:
Then I saw this record for Ignatz Kuczinski in NY arrivals, and a Ignatz Kuczinski and Hamburg departures in 1895, line 199 on the first page. Is Kalisch the same as Kalisz?

John,

Yes, Kalisch is the German name for Kalisz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalisch

I guess his original name was Ignacy Kuczynski.

Best,
Elzbieta
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:56 pm      Post subject:

John,

Kalisz was the name of a city and also the name of a gubernia (province).
You did not post the NY arrival, only the Hamburg departure.
I do not read German, so I don´t know if Kalisz refers to the last residence or to the birthplace.
The american manifest may have additional info, but I could not find a entry for him in 1895.
Could not find his registration card, either.

In Geneteka there is a Ignacy Kuczynski, born in Pepowo, in 1873. This village is near the Kalisz gubernia border and is located about 50 miles from Kalisz (city). This Ignacy had two sisters (Agnieszka 1871 and Anna 1877) and a brother Leib 1868. All children of Antoni and Anastazja Pedron, married in 1859 in Pepowo.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:43 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto,
Here's the other scans, not much on the NY voyage, besides Pennsylvania destination. As for the WWI card, nothing but Russia as a birth, and the address of 2644 Chapline has no other records with him there. I was curious to see if his sister was John Marchlinski's wife,but they never left Wheeling, and her death certificate says her maiden name was Wiesniewski. On ancestry, it says the last residence was Kalisch, Russland for the Hamburg record. I'll go back and look at the geneteka records.
Thanks
John

Ignatius Kiczynski WWI draft card.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.56 KB
 Viewed:  4745 Time(s)

Ignatius Kiczynski WWI draft card.jpg

Ignatz Kuczinski NY voyage record 1895.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  606.85 KB
 Viewed:  4746 Time(s)

Ignatz Kuczinski NY voyage record 1895.jpg

hannahblack26
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:14 pm      Post subject:

My great-grandmother Ursula Gelik (Gillich, Gelics, Gelich...she had various spellings) was from Kalisz as well - presumably the town, according to her husband (himself born in Krasice or Krasicze) on his petition for US citizenship. They met and married in Pennsylvania.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: