PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:02 am      Post subject: Help with lithuanian translation

Dear my Polish origins friends,

Just a few hours ago the archives in Vilnius sent me two sheets which I am pretty sure tell me that my request for two records was successful(I will have them attached to let you try to decipher them for me). They should be the results of my request for them to search the Mejszagola Roman Catholic Church metrics for the birth record of Julia Dowiat (my 3rd great-grandmother) and the death record of Bartlomiej Dowait(t) (her father/my 4th great-grandfather).

I had had an earlier question from months ago sirdan and elzbieta mostly took up my questions as I recall but the conversation thread is here: http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3368&view=next&sid=1f99ca50abd7708301e148c5e7e8ae2e

Looks like the 1840 register is the same family (if the records prove to be true). In any case I will have to order the digital copies, these documents if my past memory serves ony inform me they found the records and gives basic information. So once i get the real copies I can have one of our capable Polish translators put it in proper order.

Thanks for your help as always,

Sincerely,

Hugh

Julia Dowiat archives response birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.63 KB
 Viewed:  4918 Time(s)

Julia Dowiat archives response birth.jpg

Bartlomiej Dowiat archives response death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.53 KB
 Viewed:  4918 Time(s)

Bartlomiej Dowiat archives response death.jpg

Send e-mail
Podjazd

Replies: 114

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:59 am      Post subject:

Hugh, I can't actually help you, but I was wondering if you can share the contact info and process you used to make your request from the archives in Vilnius? Is it a national archive for all records, or just local, or just Roman Catholic?

thanks!

John
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:09 am      Post subject: Sure can help

Well the archives in Vilnius, The Lithuanian State Historical Archives to be exact hold a plethora of records going back quite a ways, and cover most all the faiths in the area of what is Lithuania. My experience is only with Roman Catholic records but I know they have other faiths for sure. Hopefully you know the name of the villages, and approximate dates of birth, marriage etc, and maybe even some names. They do extensive research also, as they are currently researching a few of my noble family lines and looking for records pertaining to nobility.

I could go on but it would be best if you contacted them yourself at their email:

[email protected]

They can better answer your questions and will correspond in English if necessary. My experience has been great and very cost effective compared to other research services I've dealt with.
These sights have selected records and perhaps you find something there its a longshot, but worth the look because they cost nothing.

http://genealogia.lt/index.php

http://kresy.genealodzy.pl/

please feel free to ask any questions.

Regards,

Hugh

Send e-mail
Podjazd

Replies: 114

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:14 am      Post subject:

Thanks for the tips, Hugh. I will check them out.

While I'm at it, if anyone has similar contacts for Latvia and Ukraine, I'd be most grateful!
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with lithuanian translation

ossnhughie wrote:
Dear my Polish origins friends,

Just a few hours ago the archives in Vilnius sent me two sheets which I am pretty sure tell me that my request for two records was successful(I will have them attached to let you try to decipher them for me). They should be the results of my request for them to search the Mejszagola Roman Catholic Church metrics for the birth record of Julia Dowiat (my 3rd great-grandmother) and the death record of Bartlomiej Dowait(t) (her father/my 4th great-grandfather).

I had had an earlier question from months ago sirdan and elzbieta mostly took up my questions as I recall but the conversation thread is here: http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3368&view=next&sid=1f99ca50abd7708301e148c5e7e8ae2e

Looks like the 1840 register is the same family (if the records prove to be true). In any case I will have to order the digital copies, these documents if my past memory serves ony inform me they found the records and gives basic information. So once i get the real copies I can have one of our capable Polish translators put it in proper order.

Thanks for your help as always,

Sincerely,

Hugh

Hugh,

The answer you received is printed. Alas, it is a jpeg-paper with seal, symbol of a bureaucracy, and not simply typed text one could translate on the fly by google or bing or whatever else, and get perception of what that means. Therefore your biggest and time consuming problem is to humbly type it, as I did below for one part.

Maybe you could ask them to copy/paste the text in email, in addition to the beautiful piece of sealed jpeg-paper?

Yes, the answer is that they have your two records. I have no idea how you can get it, and do not see anything explaining it.

Best,
Elzbieta

==
http://polishorigins.com/forum/files/julia_dowiat_archives_response_birth_434.jpg
==
Typed without diacritic marks:
==
Vilniaus metropolijos kurijos archyviniame fonde, Maisiagalos Romos kataliku baznycios gimimo metriku knygoje irasyta (irasas lenku kalba), kad 1833, m. birzelio 6 d. pakrikstyta Bartlomejaus (Bartlomieja) ir Anelios (Anieli) iki santuokos Romanovskos (Romanowskich) Doviatu (Dowiatow) dukte vardu Julia Viktorija (Julia Wiktorja, taip dokumente), gimusi 1833 m. birzelio 4 d. Maisiagaloje (Mejszagole).
PAGRINDAS. F. 604, ap. 34, b. 45, 1. 287v., eiles Nr. 46
==
Raw Google Translate:
==
Vilnius Metropolitan Curia Archival Fund, Maišiagala Roman Catholic church in the birth registry books the (entry in Polish) to 1833 m. 6 June. christened Bartlomejaus (Bartholomew) and Anel (Aniela) before marriage Romanovsky (Romanowskich) Doviatu (Dowiatow) name of the daughter Julia Victoria (Julia Wiktorja as paper), born in 1833. June 4. Maišiagala (Mejszagole).
BASIS. F. 604, ap. 34 b. 45, 1. 287v., Order No. 46
==
Slightly corrected Raw Google Translate:
The Metropolitan Curia Archival Fund, Maišiagala (Mejszagoła) Roman Catholic church, in the birth registry books, the date (record is in Polish) year 1833, month June, day 6, contains the baptism record of a child of parents Bartlomejaus (Bartłomiej) and Anelios (Aniela) born Romanowska [z Romanowskich] spouses Dowiat: daughter Julia Victoria (Julia Wiktorja in the record), born year 1833, month June, day 4, in Maišiagala (Mejszagoła).
BASIS. F. 604, ap. 34 b. 45, 1. 287v., Order No. 46 // probably record number 46, inside given reference
==
SUMMARY STYLE:
RECORD: PAGRINDAS. F. 604, ap. 34, b. 45, 1. 287v., eiles Nr. 46 // BASIS. F. 604, ap. 34 b. 45, 1. 287v., Order No. 46
DATE-of-ACT: 6 June 1833, in Maišiagala (Mejszagoła) Roman Catholic church
PARENTS: Bartlomejaus (Bartłomiej) and Anelios (Aniela) born Romanowska [z Romanowskich] spouses Dowiat
KTO: daughter Julia Victoria (Julia Wiktorja in the record) Dowiat, born 4 July 1833, in Maišiagala (Mejszagoła)
==
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:45 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Our friend and guide from Lithuania Agnieszus wrote us that Elżbieta's translation is quite good Smile and that the second document says:

The Metropolitan Curia Archival Fund, Maišiagala (Mejszagoła) Roman Catholic church, in the death registry books (record is in Polish) is stated that in 1839 June 14 in Karcema (Karczma Zabinska) village being 42 y.o. died Bartlomiej Doviat (Dowiatt as in record).

Thank you Agnieszka

Magdalena
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:26 pm      Post subject: Thank you all

Many Thanks to Elzbieta and Magdalena,

The archives is now in the process of sending me the digital copies of the actual records which will when I get them be left to the capable hands (more apropraitely eyes) of Elzbieta for proper translation. Even these translations help giving me at least the dates and villages to enter on my tree. Again many thanks to the dynamic Polish Origins Team.

It never fails to amaze me the results and tips I've had from PO, there is a real wealth of knowledge here.

Dziekuje Bardzo,

Hugh

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: