PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 pm      Post subject:

Hi Shellie~ Thanks for looking through your information and replying. As I said before, I do not believe Walenty Gal had any relatives in the US. He immigrated first in 1904 to his wife's brother in Streator, IL. He then moved on to Minneapolis, MN where his wife joined him in 1908. I can't find him by name and death date in the SSDI. I see his death certificate does list a SSN, but the 2 of the last 4 numbers are illegible on my copy. I may have to pursue that lead - hopefully examining the microfilmed death certificate to clarify the SSN. Then I could order the SS-5.

I did send a private message to Uncle Gregg, but he hasn't responded yet. Hopefully you will run across the census copy he sent to you. Dziękuję for your help and all that you do for this forum.

~Polish Librarian
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:36 am      Post subject:

Hi Polish Librarian,
With a name like Polish Librarian, I bet you are a good researcher....so I bet you already know this: Walenty is listed in the WWI draft card files on Ancestry.com as Walenty Gall. Any luck finding more info?

I've added a photo from my trip to Odrowaz
Shellie

Odrowaz - interesting house near church.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  570.99 KB
 Viewed:  12644 Time(s)

Odrowaz - interesting house near church.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:44 pm      Post subject:

Gal family info from 1881 Nowy Targ - Odrowaz Census

Fellow member Uncle Gregg generously agreed to allow me to post a file with the 1881 Odrowaz Census (Gal Family) information that he shared with me. Click on the word DOWNLOAD shown below to see the pdf files.

In the 1990's Uncle Gregg's relative had a genealogist collect information from the Archives in Poland. The census part of the report can be seen in the PDF file that I've attached. Please understand that this was work that focused on the Gal family only and does not include all families in Odrowaz. Also keep in mind that these are images of transcribed information and may contain some errors if the transcriber did not read the handwritten records correctly.

If this information has helped you, please leave a message and tell us about it. Enjoy!

Gal Census pdf.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Gal Census pdf.pdf
 Filesize:  2.16 MB
 Downloaded:  1330 Time(s)

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:29 pm      Post subject:

While I was visiting my ancestral village with Zenon during my own Forefather's Traces Tour, I took photos at the cemetery in Odrowaz. I've created a PDF presentation where you can view some of the gravestones. Please note that I did not photograph the entire cemetery, and many of the photos in this presentation are of stones that just happened to be in the same photo as my ancestor's stones. I hope that someone will find something useful here!

Also note that this is a rather large file. If you RIGHT-CLICK on this link, you can view the photos: http://polishorigins.com/ebooks/odrowaz_cemetery.pdf .

Names include:
Wiktoria Bielanska . Wladyslaw Brenkus . Aniela Cislak . Franciszek Fiedor . Franciszek Figura . Aniela Gal, . Maria Gober . Wojciech Gal . Bronsilaw Grela . Janinia Grela . Marian Grela . Franciszek Iwan . Bronislawa Iwan . Rozalia Jankowska . Felicja Jankowska . Bronislawa Jankowska . Stanislaw Jankowska . Anna Kadlub . Bronislaw Kadlub . Jan Krupa . Wiktor Krupa . Maria Kuczek . Florentyna Kulawiak . Wincenty Stopka . Anna Kulawiak . Leopold Kulawiak . Anna Kulawiak . Agnieszka Kulawiak . Jan Kulawiak . Antonia Kulawiak . Wladyslaw Kulawiak . Franciszek Skupien . Bronislaw Las . Maria Las . Karolina Lasak . Antoni Lyszczarczyk . Jozef Lyszczarczyk . Maria Kuczek . Helena Zajac . Jan Stafira, . Jozef Stafira . Stanislaw Stafira . Wladyslaw Stoch . Pawlikowska, Magdalena . Franciszek Figura . Franciszek Blachula . Maria Stafira . Jan Zajac . Zofia Zajac . Jozef Zajac
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:35 pm      Post subject:

My Odrowaz ancestors were Goral - learn more about these proud people of the Polish Highlands at the new forum devoted to this subject:

http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewforum.php?f=29
Enjoy!
babblingbrook

Replies: 46

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:34 pm      Post subject: Anna Tatar

Shellie wrote:

The other Kalec that I have is Katarzyna Kalec, who was married to Jan Kocańda. Their son Stanisław Kocańda was married to Anna Tatar. Stanislaw and Anna had :
1. Jan Kocańda, born 1899 (he married Maria Iwan from Pieniążkowice in 1929; he died 28th Jan 1978)
2. Anna Kocańda, born 1901 (she died Nov 1971)

Am interested in any potential information on the above mentioned Anna Tatar. I believe she is my my g g grandmother but have some confusing info on her. I think this may be her second marriage as she was married to my g g grandfather Frank (likely Americanized) Czepiel, who I cannot find any info on but have a number of strange stories about. Frank and Anna (Tatar) Czepiel begot my g grandfather Jozef Czepiel (born 1888). Another note states that Jozef was 6 months old when Frank died. But I have differing stories on how and which country he died in so he is a big family mystery i am working on. Jozef Czepiel married (in Chicago) Magdalena (Zmuda) Czepiel, both from Odrowaz. I have notes that Anna Tatar was born in Zakopane and that she married a "Kocando." This may be a match, but have no verification for any of it. If you are related to Anna I have a personal letter from her. I have no birth yrs or death dates for her but the timing would be right. Any info for Anna Tatar or Frank (?) Czepiel would be wonderful.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:24 am      Post subject: Re: Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie

Shellie wrote:
If your ancestors are from Odrowąż near Czarny Dunajec and Nowy Targ (Lesser Poland), be sure to add your information to the Places Database at: http://polishorigins.com/places You can also add your family surnames to the Surname Database: http://polishorigins.com/surnames[/b]

Shellie,
I found some additional information on the connection of my Bryjak ancestors to Odrowaz. My grandfather’s cousin Pjotr/ Peter Bryjak (born 1885 in Dlugopole, son of Andrzej Bryjak and Anna Kowalkowska) and his second wife Rozalia, née Matya (born in Odrowaz, daughter of Jan/John Matyja and Agnes Las) must have traveled to Poland sometime between January 28 and October 10, 1908. Pjotr returned to the United States without his wife and children on board of the steamship "Kronprinzessin Cecilie" that left Bremen on October 10, 1908 and arrived in New York on October 20, 1908. According to the ship manifest, he was 24 years old at the time, married, farm laborer, his last residence abroad had been with his wife Rozalia Bryjak in Odrowacz-Dlugopole, his final destination was Chicago, where he was going to join his brother Jan Bryjak at 235, Huron Street. Pjotr indicated that he had been in the United States (Chicago) before in the years 1903 and 1908.
His wife Rozalia, indexed as Bryje, Rosalia, traveled to the US on board of the steamship "Antonia" that left Hamburg on April 26, 1913 and arrived in New York on May 12, 1913. Rosalia was 28 years old at the time and accompanied by four children, Andrzej, 6 years old, US born, Jan, 3 years old, US born, Jozef, 2 years old, US born, and Stanislaw, 2 months old. Stanislaw must have been born in Poland, he died in the hospital on May 15, 1913 after arrival to the US. The ship manifest indicates that their destination in the US was Chicago, where they were going to join their husband/father Pjotr Bryja at 1723, 18th St., and that their last residence abroad had been with their father in law/grandfather Jozef Bryje in Odrowaz.

On April 5, 1930, when the 1930 US Federal Census was taken, Peter and Rosie Bryjak and eight children lived at 9244, Dauphin Ave., Chicago. I don’t have any information on Peter Bryjak’s death or burial, the last record I found was his 1942 WWII Draft Registration Card. Peter was 57 years old at the time, I don't know if he fought in WWII or not, I just know he must have passed away before July 1975, as he is referred to as "the late Peter" at his wife's death in July 1975.

I thought I share the names and information with you and others who have ancestors in Odrowaz or Dlugopole.
Shellie

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 am      Post subject:

Ute,
I am so excited for you - what valuable info you have found! Thank you so much for sharing it here - I have no doubt that it will help someone else who is working on their family history.

What I found so interesting is how often on ship manifests I've seen addresses for 18th Street and 18th Place, Chicago listed on destinations for my family and others from our village area.

Thanks again Ute for posting this and all of the other helpful information you share so generously! I always look forward to reading your posts.

I am adding a photo of Odrowaz

Odrowaz - view from guest house, looking south west.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  551.48 KB
 Viewed:  12638 Time(s)

Odrowaz - view from guest house, looking south west.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:53 pm      Post subject: Matyja, Las, Kocanda, Breja in Odrowasz

Shellie wrote:
Ute,
I am so excited for you - what valuable info you have found! Thank you so much for sharing it here - I have no doubt that it will help someone else who is working on their family history.

Thank you, Shellie, you're very nice. I would love to do more if time would allow it. It’s a pleasure to contribute to PolishOrigins and to help others by sharing knowledge and resources, just like others have helped me with my research when I needed it.

I forgot to tell you in my last post that among Rozalia Matyja-Bryjak’s surviving relatives was a sister Angeline, married name Kocanda. Since (according to the church marriage record) Rozalia’s parents were Jan Matyja and Agnes Las, her sister Angeline’s maiden name must have been Angeline Matyja. Since the Matyja family was from Odrowasz, I thought I share this information with you also.
Ute
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:41 am      Post subject:

Ute and Shellie,

Great information you have found! Just wanted to mention that I (and my family who emigrated from Poland before me) lived on 18th street in Chicago in the neighborhood called "Pilsen" and "Little Village" of which the addresses mentioned in your post are very near.

This area is still a magnet /1st neighborhood for immigrants---in the last 40 years, predominantly from Mexico and Central America. I must admit, as I grew up in this neighborhood in the 1960's--I am able to speak in Spanish more-so than Polish among my friends. (My family was very Americanized)

--Jim
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:18 am      Post subject:

Jakrysi wrote:
Ute and Shellie,
Great information you have found! Just wanted to mention that I (and my family who emigrated from Poland before me) lived on 18th street in Chicago in the neighborhood called "Pilsen" and "Little Village" of which the addresses mentioned in your post are very near. This area is still a magnet /1st neighborhood for immigrants---in the last 40 years, predominantly from Mexico and Central America. I must admit, as I grew up in this neighborhood in the 1960's--I am able to speak in Spanish more-so than Polish among my friends. (My family was very Americanized)--Jim

Jim and Shellie,
Thank you for this interesting information. Perhaps some of the addresses at 17th St given in the ship manifests were boarding houses for Polish immigrants that arrived in Chicago at the time or apartments were shared with newly arriving relatives or friends from the same village until they found a job and their own place to live or returned home with what they had saved up. My grandparents lived in Chicago and moved quite often over the years:
- When my grandfather Franciszek Rol (Frank Roll) came to the US in 1909, he joined his brother Jozef Jakub Rol at 107, Erie Street, Chicago;
- My grandparents got married on August 6, 1912 at St. John Cantius Church, 825, N. Carpenter Street, Chicago;
- The 1917 Chicago City Directory lists Roll, Frank, machinist, 518, N. May, Chicago;
- His WW I Draft Registration Card issued on June 5, 1917 indicates that he worked as a metal sorter at Birkenstein & Son, 377, W. Ontario Street, Chicago;
- The June 1921 Chicago Telephone Directory lists Roll, Frank, Roofing, 536 N. Wood, Chicago;
- The 1923 Chicago City Directory lists Roll, Frank (Frank Roll & Co.), roofers, 1368, West Austin av., Chicago;
- The 1929 Chicago Classified Telephone Directory (business only, under ‘roofers’) lists Roll, Frank, 2736, W. Chicago av., Chicago;
- The 1930 United States Federal Census, taken on April 7, 1930, indicates that Frank Roll runs his own roofing business at 1368, Austin Avenue, Chicago;
- When my grandfather died in 1940, the family’s residence was at 1368 Hubbard St., Chicago.

I just found an interesting article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune: "2nd wave of Poles calls suburbs home". The link is: http://work.colum.edu/~amiller/polonia1022.htm
- Ute
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 am      Post subject: Ludwik Gal, Jan Dybala, Odrowaz; Bryjak/Jakubiec, Dlugopole

Shellie wrote:
Ute,

Shellie,
Yet another connection between my grandfather’s cousin Pjotr/Peter Bryjak from Dlugopole and a Ludwik Gal from Odrowaz:
Pjotr traveled to the United States on board of the steamship "Albano" that left Hamburg on March 31, 1903 and arrived in New York on April 15, 1903. According to the ship manifest, he was 18 years old at the time, single, laborer, his last residence abroad was Dlugopole. He was accompanied by Mateus Jakubiec, 19 years old, single, laborer, whose last residence abroad was Dlugopole also. Their destination in the United States was Hastings, PA where they were going to join their uncle (?) Ludwik Gal.
A Ludwik Gal traveled to the US on board of the steamship "Friedrich der Grosse" that left Bremen on May 25, 1901 and arrived in New York on June 5, 1901. According to the ship manifest, he was 28 years old at the time, married, laborer, his last residence abroad was Odrowaz. His destination in the United States was Hastings, PA where he was going to join his brother Jozef Gromada.
I have neither Gal or Gromada in my Dlugopole emigrants database, but there were two Ludwik Gal in the Gal family information from the 1881 Odrowaz Census that you posted as pdf: A Ludwik Gal, house #150, village of Odrowaz, stepson (not known whose), born 1845 in Odrowaz, and a Ludwik (Louis) Gal, house #17, village of Zary, stepson of Jan Dybala, born Aug. 1875 in Odrowaz.

Perhaps someone researching the Gal family can use the information or add some pieces to the puzzle.
Ute
Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:07 pm      Post subject:

Ute, Thank you for posting this information about the Gal family. There is lots of interest in this family name among Polish Origins members.
I've added a photo from my trip to Odrowaz.

Odrowaz, hills north of church.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  307.09 KB
 Viewed:  12639 Time(s)

Odrowaz, hills north of church.jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 pm      Post subject:

Several of my Odrowaz ancestors emigrated to the US and were coal miners in western PA. We've started a Pennsylvania coal mining thread here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=912

If you are interested, please come on over to this thread and add a comment: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=912
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:59 pm      Post subject:

Jakrysi wrote:
Ute and Shellie,

Great information you have found! Just wanted to mention that I (and my family who emigrated from Poland before me) lived on 18th street in Chicago in the neighborhood called "Pilsen" and "Little Village" of which the addresses mentioned in your post are very near.

This area is still a magnet /1st neighborhood for immigrants---in the last 40 years, predominantly from Mexico and Central America. I must admit, as I grew up in this neighborhood in the 1960's--I am able to speak in Spanish more-so than Polish among my friends. (My family was very Americanized)

--Jim

Hi Jim,
I'm sorry that I didn't reply to your comment sooner. I have been really wrapped up in solving a family mystery that connected my family in Odrowaz to the village Podole http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=3966#3966

You sound like you had a very culturally-rich childhood in Chicago. I wish I could go back and see Pilsen and Little Village when our ancestors lived there! Thanks for sharing your comments!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Page 3 of 11

Jump to: