PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 46

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 pm      Post subject:

Speaking of this Chicago Polish neighborhood, where I know many of my ancestors landed, you may notice that it revolves around a church and you may find that many of them married, were baptized here etc. This mother church of all the later Polish parishes on the West and South sides....the history of it is interesting. http://www.stadalbertchicago.com/page1.php
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 pm      Post subject:

babblingbrook wrote:
Speaking of this Chicago Polish neighborhood, where I know many of my ancestors landed, you may notice that it revolves around a church and you may find that many of them married, were baptized here etc. This mother church of all the later Polish parishes on the West and South sides....the history of it is interesting. http://www.stadalbertchicago.com/page1.php

All of my Chicago ancestors were married either at St. Adalbert Church or at St. John Cantius Church and their children were baptized there. Only one couple was married at Holy Trinity Church: http://trojcowo.com/
Rich Gibson has posted two beautiful pictures of St. John Cantius Church at the forum on Emigration: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=831
And here is more information on St. John Cantius: http://www.cantius.org/go/about_us/category/video_about_saint_john_cantius_church/

Allmost all of my ancestors are buried at Saint Adalbert Catholic Cemetery in Niles, IL, a suburb of Chicago: http://graveyards.com/IL/Cook/stadalbert/
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:12 am      Post subject:

I recently solved a big mystery about the birthplace of great-aunt and great-uncle. Although my ancestors are from Odrowaz, my grandfather and his younger sister were born in Luslawice. I've spent the past 2 years trying to identify the birthplace of his 2 older siblings and just found out that they were born in Podole. You can read about the incredible coincidence associated with Podole here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=343&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Something was drawing some people from Odrowaz to Podole. In addition to my family, there were Forys, Bielanski, Stafira, Zmuda, Mikos and Bobek surnames in the Podole records. Some of these I was able to confirm a link to Odrowaz by comparing records I had from Odrowaz with records from Podole.
tammybabicz

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:41 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Hi Polish Librarian,
With a name like Polish Librarian, I bet you are a good researcher....so I bet you already know this: Walenty is listed in the WWI draft card files on Ancestry.com as Walenty Gall. Any luck finding more info?

I've added a photo from my trip to Odrowaz
Shellie

This is my husband's house in Odrowaz that you took a picture of.
It belonged to Teodor and Maria (Gawron) Babicz.
My husband Joe now owns it.
aantolak

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:02 pm      Post subject: Antolak in Odrowąż (?)

Hi Shellie,

I've read most of your posts and thought I could ask you for some help. The information I have is from Ellis Island ship records, my grandfather coming over from Odrowaz at 18..but the country is listed as Austria and race set to Polish. I found his mother's ship records too (Anna) and she also lists Odrowaz, country Austria but for race the record originally listed Polish but then that was crossed out and Ruth was added on top. Any thoughts on that? Do you think Odrowaz "Austria" is the same as Odrowaz Poland?

Also wanted to ask if you knew of anyone in Odrowaz who would be willing (for hire of course) to visit the Catholic Church there to search records of my family? I doubt there will ever be a way I can travel there myself. Any other thoughts or ideas would be awesome.

I don't know why but for some reason I feel such a connection to my father's side and want to know more.

Thank you so much,
Anita Antolak Shotkoski
Shellie

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:09 pm      Post subject: Re: Antolak in Odrowąż (?)

aantolak wrote:
Hi Shellie,

I've read most of your posts and thought I could ask you for some help. The information I have is from Ellis Island ship records, my grandfather coming over from Odrowaz at 18..but the country is listed as Austria and race set to Polish. I found his mother's ship records too (Anna) and she also lists Odrowaz, country Austria but for race the record originally listed Polish but then that was crossed out and Ruth was added on top. Any thoughts on that? Do you think Odrowaz "Austria" is the same as Odrowaz Poland?

Also wanted to ask if you knew of anyone in Odrowaz who would be willing (for hire of course) to visit the Catholic Church there to search records of my family? I doubt there will ever be a way I can travel there myself. Any other thoughts or ideas would be awesome.

I don't know why but for some reason I feel such a connection to my father's side and want to know more.

Thank you so much,
Anita Antolak Shotkoski

Hi Anita,
There are many other people here who can describe the Austria issue better than me, but here is my best try: Poland as a country has been divided and re-devided among other countries over the years. There have been 3 major times that the country that we call Poland was divided by conquering nations. This is commonly referred to the Partitions of Poland. If you look around on the internet, you can find some cool maps that show the boundries from these partitions compared with the outline of today's Poland.

The 3rd time Poland was divided, it was divided among Prussia, Russia and Austria/Hungry. Austria Hungry often refers to the Austro-Hungarian empire. Many times it is just referred to simply as "Austria." Galicia was the named given to a big a section of land given to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. And Galicia is where many of our Polish villages were located. Because Poland did not become a "real" country again until 1918, your ancestor may have been listed as "Austrian" or "Austro-Hungarian" on his ship manifest.

It becomes really confusing for people who are just getting started with their research. Many people are puzzled when they find documents that state their Polish grandparents were from "Austria." It took me a while to figure it out too.

This site is a good place to start understanding:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~atpc/heritage/history/historic-geography.html

I will be glad to try and help you find some info about your grandparents. Do you have any thoughts about which village named Odrowaz your family was from? There are about 3 villages named Odrowaz that I found when I was searching for my family. If you would like to post what you know about your family, maybe someone will recognize the name and can provide you with some clues. If you don't want to share your family info, send a personal message and I'll email you with what I know.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Shellie

UPDATE: Read more about Antolak ancestors in Odrowaz here:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1255

Last edited by Shellie on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
rfacianagump

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:49 am      Post subject:

Hi Everyone,

I luckily found this through Ancestry.com and I'm so glad I did! I too have several relatives who came from Odrowaz, Malopolskie- my family names are Figura, Gal(l), Stafiera, Cepil (Czepiel?), and Zmuda. What I know for certain is that my maternal grandparents were Angeline Gall (born in the US April 1913) and Michael Figura (born in the US 1907). I don't have as much information on the Gall side and it's quite a mystery- Angeline's mother was named Mary Gall and did come to the US from Poland in 1911, but she was married twice to a John Gall and an Aleksander Gall (immigrated in 1902)- that's the mystery- we don't know the circumstances around this whatsoever! Another name related with the Gall side is Petin, but we really lack information. The Figura side is better- my grandfather was Michael Figura. He was the son of Jozef Figura (b. 1882 in Odrowaz, immigrated in 1902, and died in Chicago in 1954) and Bronislawa Stafiera (b. 1887 in Odrowaz, immigrated in 1904, and died in Chicago in 1966). We have Bronislawa's parents being Jan Stafiera and Zofia Zmuda, and Jozef's parents as Wincenty Figura and Anastazje Cepil (Czepiel?). I'd love to find out more information or any other connections!!!

Renee Smile
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:25 pm      Post subject:

rfacianagump wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I luckily found this through Ancestry.com and I'm so glad I did! I too have several relatives who came from Odrowaz, Malopolskie- my family names are Figura, Gal(l), Stafiera, Cepil (Czepiel?), and Zmuda. What I know for certain is that my maternal grandparents were Angeline Gall (born in the US April 1913) and Michael Figura (born in the US 1907). I don't have as much information on the Gall side and it's quite a mystery- Angeline's mother was named Mary Gall and did come to the US from Poland in 1911, but she was married twice to a John Gall and an Aleksander Gall (immigrated in 1902)- that's the mystery- we don't know the circumstances around this whatsoever! Another name related with the Gall side is Petin, but we really lack information. The Figura side is better- my grandfather was Michael Figura. He was the son of Jozef Figura (b. 1882 in Odrowaz, immigrated in 1902, and died in Chicago in 1954) and Bronislawa Stafiera (b. 1887 in Odrowaz, immigrated in 1904, and died in Chicago in 1966). We have Bronislawa's parents being Jan Stafiera and Zofia Zmuda, and Jozef's parents as Wincenty Figura and Anastazje Cepil (Czepiel?). I'd love to find out more information or any other connections!!!

Renee Smile

Hi Renee!
I'm glad that you read my Odrowaz posting on Ancestry.com and followed the link here to Polish Origins! There are many people are interested in your family names and I think it will generate lots of discussion, so I've created a thread especially for discussion of Zmuda, Figura and Stafira families near Odrowaz at:

http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1033

See you over there!

Last edited by Shellie on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 pm      Post subject:

There are lots of people out there who are interested in the Zmuda, Stafira, Figura surnames.

I started a new thread called Zmuda, Stafira, Figura familes near Odrowaz Malopolskie and I have moved a copy of my last posting to
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1033

I have also created a thread to discuss the Gall - Gal family from the Odrowaz area:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1038

Last edited by Shellie on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
babblingbrook

Replies: 46

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 am      Post subject:

Ute wrote:

All of my Chicago ancestors were married either at St. Adalbert Church or at St. John Cantius Church and their children were baptized there. Only one couple was married at Holy Trinity Church: http://trojcowo.com/
Rich Gibson has posted two beautiful pictures of St. John Cantius Church at the forum on Emigration: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=831
And here is more information on St. John Cantius: http://www.cantius.org/go/about_us/category/video_about_saint_john_cantius_church/

Allmost all of my ancestors are buried at Saint Adalbert Catholic Cemetery in Niles, IL, a suburb of Chicago: http://graveyards.com/IL/Cook/stadalbert/

Hi Ute, same with my relatives so far, St. Adalbert and St. John Cantius. All my relatives seem to be buried at Resurrection Cemetery, Justice, Illinois.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:04 am      Post subject: Re: Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie

Shellie,
While looking for a church marriage record at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, I came across some marriage records that I just wanted to share -- perhaps they will be useful one day.

Anna Gal (baptized in Odrowaz, daughter of Joannes C. Gal and Magdalena Sto[?]), and Joannes Bobek (baptized in Odrowaz, son of Stephanus Bobek and Josepha Klowowska/Klomowska [?], got married on 26 Oct 1913 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, testes being Carolus Leja and Agnes Magrowicz[?].

Adalbertus Maslak (baptized I 1884 in Odrowaz, son of Joannes Maslak and Regina Obrochta), and Karolina Szymusiak (baptized Jan 1889 in Czarny Dunajec, daughter of Adalbertus Szymusiak and Agnes Molek) got married on 3 Nov 1908 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, testes being Josephus Kulniak [?] and Magdalena Gal.

Joannes Grela (baptized 20 VI 1885 in Odrowaz, son of Helena [last name not given, probably Grela, father’s name not given), and Magdalena Zajac (baptized 20 VII 1885 in Odrowaz, daughter of Adalbertus Zajac and Agnes Jasiek [?]), got married on 15 June 1908 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, testes being Franciskus Lenart and Victoria Zajac.

Joseph Czepiel (baptized II 1888 in Odrowaz, son of Franciscus Czepiel and Anna Tatar), and Magdalena Szmuda (baptized 22 VII 1883 in Odrowaz, daughter of Augustus Szmuda and Marianna Rasik), got married on 7 Sept 1908 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, testes being Franciskus Matyja and Josephine Strama.

(Source: www.FamilySearch.org, Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records, 1833-1925, St. Adalbert (Chicago) Marriages, 1884-1915).

As to the Agnieszka Gal from Odrowaz whose name is written on the back of Cheri’s picture, I had another look at the Gal Census you posted some time ago. There was a Gal Agnieszka, b 1854, wife of Jan Gal, house #228. However, Cheri’s picture says #93, which I assume refers to the house number in Odrowaz. Do you have information on who lived in house #93 in Odrowaz?
Ute

[note: see comment on page 6 of this thread, posted on Sat Jun 29, 2013]

BOBEK-GAL marriage 1913 Chicago.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  369.13 KB
 Viewed:  7513 Time(s)

BOBEK-GAL marriage 1913 Chicago.jpg

Last edited by Ute on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
rfacianagump

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:53 am      Post subject:

Gal census? Where can I find that? I'd love to see if either of my great-grandmother's husbands (1st John, 2nd Aleksander) are on it. I learned from the 1930 census records that Aleksander would have been born in 1882 and immigrated in 1902. I really have NO information about the 1st husband John)
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 am      Post subject:

Quote:
Gal census? Where can I find that?

Go to Shellie's message of Thu Nov 25, 2010 -- Gal family info from 1881 Nowy Targ - Odrowaz Census -- Gal Census.pdf at http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=83e45cbc15e2e04be7050d64157863d5 and click 'Download' to save the pdf file to your computer.
Ute
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:52 pm      Post subject: Odrowaz address

If someone knows of an Odrowaz address/phone directory online, could you please let us know? Thank you!
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:54 pm      Post subject:

Hi Ute,
The family Bielak lived in house 93, but interestingly the Gal family lived in house 94.

rfacianagump wrote:
Gal census? Where can I find that? I'd love to see if either of my great-grandmother's husbands (1st John, 2nd Aleksander) are on it. I learned from the 1930 census records that Aleksander would have been born in 1882 and immigrated in 1902. I really have NO information about the 1st husband John)

Renee, I'm so sorry! I thought we talked about that census! I guess I got wrapped up in other things and didn't follow up on it. Let me know if you have trouble downloading those documents, and please tell us if you find a connection!!!!

Last edited by Shellie on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Page 4 of 11

Jump to: