PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie

Ute wrote:
Shellie,
While looking for a church marriage record at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, I came across some marriage records that I just wanted to share -- perhaps they will be useful one day. (Source: www.FamilySearch.org, Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records, 1833-1925, St. Adalbert (Chicago) Marriages, 1884-1915).

Ute, Thank you so much for posting this information. I noticed immediately the Cepiel record - it matches Bonnie's family! I'm working on a reply to the Gal's in house 93 and will post it soon!
rfacianagump

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 am      Post subject:

Oh stop!! You've already given me so much help!! I have it downloaded and now I'm going to hopefully take some time to go through it this weekend! Smile
quilter

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 pm      Post subject:

Shellie - I am looking for relatives with the last name of Bala. The first names are Walenty(Valentine) dob 1889, Wadiek, Vincenty (dob 1886), Ignacy. Any help is appreciated. One of the ships passenger lists identified this town.
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:41 pm      Post subject:

quilter wrote:
Shellie - I am looking for relatives with the last name of Bala. The first names are Walenty(Valentine) dob 1889, Wadiek, Vincenty (dob 1886), Ignacy. Any help is appreciated. One of the ships passenger lists identified this town.

HI Quilter!
I will look through my files and let you know if I find anything. In the meantime, can you post the ship manifest, or the link to the manifest? Thanks!!!!
Shellie
quilter

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 pm      Post subject:

Thank you!!

Hamburger Passagierlisten, 1850-1934 Hamburg Passenger Lists, 1850-1934about Wojciech Bala
Name: Wojciech Bala
Departure Date: 6 Jun 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Age Year: 29
Marital Status: verheiratet (Married)
Family: Household members

Residence: Odrowaz,
Ethnicity/Nationality: Galizien (Galician)

Ship Name: Amerika
Shipping Line: Hamburg-Amerika Linie (Hamburg-Amerikanische Packetfahrt-Actien-Gesellschaft)
Ship Type: Dampfschiff
Accommodation: Zwischendeck
Ship Flag: Deutschland
Port of Departure: Hamburg
Port of Arrival: Cuxhaven; Southampton; Cherbourg; New York

Volume: 373-7 I, VIII A 1 Band 191
Page: 1570
Microfilm Roll Number: K_1800
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:12 pm      Post subject:

Just curious - the passenger record is for Wojciech, but the names you gave were different. Is Wojciech the father? What else do you know about the family? mother's name....wife's name?
quilter

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:28 pm      Post subject:

The polish names they used are different from the American names... There were several of them who came over and boarded together before they got married.
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 am      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
quilter wrote:

HI Quilter!
I will look through my files and let you know if I find anything.
Shellie

These are the Bala births I had - I tried to group them by family. I do not have a complete list of all births from Odrowaz - these are essentially from pages of records that my cousin and I obtained for our family research. I hope that you will find some of your ancestors among this information.
Best Regards,
Shellie

Bala - Odrowaz births.jpg
 Description:
Click on image to enlarge
 Filesize:  632.09 KB
 Viewed:  7226 Time(s)

Bala - Odrowaz births.jpg

quilter

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 am      Post subject:

Wow- Thank you so much. I will look through the research you provided. I really appreciate the time and effort you took on my behalf. Thank you again.
hpenksa

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:25 am      Post subject: odrowaz Church

I have photos of this church from 1977 when my cousin Al Penksa visited Poland to visit relatives from our grandfather John Albert Penksa Sr. This was his hometown. He came to America when he was 15 years old. Do you know if there is a way to get church records, birth, baptism, etc.?
hpenksa

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:36 am      Post subject:

Does anyone have any records from the church in Odrowaz with the surname Peksa? George Peksa and wife Kathryn Matea and child John Peksa?
babblingbrook

Replies: 46

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:56 pm      Post subject:

Yes Shellie and I got a few records from Odrowaz with Peksa. I have the name in my family, my 3rd great grandmother, 4th great grandfather, some cousins and such. Do you have year approximates? Shellie can probably put a chart together for you faster than I but let me take a look for those specific names. one sec.
babblingbrook

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:03 pm      Post subject:

We have 12 Peksa birth records. There is one or a Jan Peksa born there in 1898. Parents are Kathryn Matyja (this last name is also in my family and often gets spelled differently in the states!), father is Wojciech which often in the states goes to Albert. Have rarely seen George's, but may have changed it to that in the states. Can you send more info and maybe I can help you more.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:41 pm      Post subject:

babblingbrook wrote:
We have 12 Peksa birth records. There is one or a Jan Peksa born there in 1898. Parents are Kathryn Matyja (this last name is also in my family and often gets spelled differently in the states!), ....

I see you have the last name Matyja in your family. Do you have information on a Jan Matyja-Agnieszka Las family? Their daughter Rozalia Matyja, born abt. 1885-1888, married my great-uncle Pjotr ‘Peter' Bryjak from Dlugopole on May 08, 1906 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. A Jan Matyja from Odrowaz, 34 in 1923 (thus born abt. 1889), traveled to the US on 08 Dec 1923 on board of the SS Paris that sailed from Le Havre to New York. His residence abroad was with his wife Karolina Mateja in Odrowaz, his destination in the US was his brother-in-law "Mr. Brejak, Peter" at 9244, Dopien Ave [Dauphine Ave], Chicago. Since Peter Bryjak was his brother-in-law, I assume he was Rozalia Mateja-Bryjak's brother and the son of Jan Mateja and Agnieszka Las.
babblingbrook

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:02 pm      Post subject: Peksa

hpenksa wrote:
Does anyone have any records from the church in Odrowaz with the surname Peksa? George Peksa and wife Kathryn Matea and child John Peksa?

Sorry I just realized that Wojciech can be Americanized into either George or Albert.
Will attach some info for you:

I would also say we are clearly distantly related. Smile My maiden name is Czepiel, but have all these names and Jan being the right person for you makes us related.

The only way to get records from this church is to go to it or to go to Krakow. Krakow has some at a particular place. Got some on my trip so can send some info.
See what you can do with this info. Let me know once you get it.
Peksa btw is sometimes written as Penska in America, but as you likely know it has the Polish e. But when pronounced in English it sounds like Penska.
Matyja in the states can be Mateja, Matia. This should help when looking for records in the states.
You can listen to the sound of the last name and why this happened using the following site:
http://www.ivona.com/us/ type in Polish and it sounds like Matia and Penksa.

Would say that for sure Jan is the exact person you are referring to. Often birthdates are even wrong once they get to states. Keep me posted on your progress and hope this helps.
Am curious as to where your family settled in the states.

Peska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.45 KB
 Viewed:  7226 Time(s)

Peska.jpg

Last edited by babblingbrook on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Page 5 of 11

Jump to: