PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Author

Replies: 46

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:22 pm      Post subject:

Ute,
Yes while I was there I did get a record for Rozalia. Will attach a spreadsheet of info for you. She was born in 1885. Sorry I have not been on here more to help more people, been a bad year of being diagnosed with something very rare and blah blah blah but will try to help out more when not too sick.
I have taken my tree to the beginning of Odrowaz at this point, Czepiels had one of the first 20 arable lands, so have many names in my family, main ones being Czepiel, Zmuda, Matyja, Łaś, Pęksa, Stafira, Strama, plus plus... need to update my profile. Am basically done with my direct line but am working on helping another Czepiel cousin and the Soltys of Odrowaz is my cousin, so him too. Been really busy, but hope this helps you. Likely we are distantly related too. Is not hard to be from that town and be related somehow. Smile

Matyja - Las family.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.06 KB
 Viewed:  10453 Time(s)

Matyja - Las family.jpg

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:47 pm      Post subject:

babblingbrook wrote:
Ute,
Yes while I was there I did get a record for Rozalia. Will attach a spreadsheet of info for you. She was born in 1885. Sorry I have not been on here more to help more people, been a bad year of being diagnosed with something very rare and blah blah blah but will try to help out more when not too sick.
I have taken my tree to the beginning of Odrowaz at this point, Czepiels had one of the first 20 arable lands, so have many names in my family, main ones being Czepiel, Zmuda, Matyja, Łaś, Pęksa, Stafira, Strama, plus plus... need to update my profile. Am basically done with my direct line but am working on helping another Czepiel cousin and the Soltys of Odrowaz is my cousin, so him too. Been really busy, but hope this helps you. Likely we are distantly related too. Is not hard to be from that town and be related somehow. Smile

Hi babblingbrook,
Thank you so much for the spreadsheet! It will help me to better understand how the families are connected. I've done quite a bit of research on the Rozalia Matyja - Peter Bryjak family and their descendants in the US, and I'm really interested to see what else I can find out about the other Matyja children and their descendants with the new information you gave me. It's great that you have been so successful in researching your direct line.
So sorry to hear that you are sick and had such a bad year. I wish you all the best in the difficult time you are having!
Ute
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:55 pm      Post subject: GAL, Rafal from Odrowaz church marriage Jan 1910

While looking for a Chicago church marriage record, I came across a church marriage record for Rafal GAL, son of Franciszek GAL and Agnieszka BABICZ, from Odrowaz who married Antonina STOCH, daughter of Wincenty STOCH and Agnieszka GRELA, from Pieniążkowice on Jan 26, 1910 at St. John Cantius Church, Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Franciszek Mierzwa and Antoni Mrozinski. Bride and groom were baptized in Odrowaz. I thought share the record, perhaps it will be helpful to one of our members whose ancestors were from Odrowaz.
Ute

GAL, Rafal church marriage record 1910.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  491.23 KB
 Viewed:  10453 Time(s)

GAL, Rafal church marriage record 1910.jpg

Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:23 pm      Post subject:

Hey Ute,
Thank you for posting this information. I checked to see if I had Rafal Gal in my records, but I found nothing for him, or his parents.

But we have so many people with Gal ancestors here, it will probably help some one break through a brick wall!

Thanks again Ute!
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:09 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Hey Ute,
Thank you for posting this information. I checked to see if I had Rafal Gal in my records, but I found nothing for him, or his parents.

But we have so many people with Gal ancestors here, it will probably help some one break through a brick wall!

Thanks again Ute!

Hi Shellie,
Good to hear from you. Your response prompted me to look for further information on this family.

A Rafael Gal from "Ochewacz" arrived in the US on 16 Mar 1903 at age 20 ys, Port of Departure: Hamburg, Port of Arrival: New York, Marital Status: Single, Ship of Travel: Milano.
Source Citation: "New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JFPG-ZZG : accessed 29 July 2012), Rafael Gal, 1903.

I found three sons and one daughter born to this family: Frank Gal, born March 6, 1913 in Chicago, 941 Prat [?] Street; Thadeusz Gal, born on March 4, 1914 in Chicago, 1014 W. Erie Street; Walter Gal, born abt. 1915, died 8 Dec 1923 at age 8 ys in Chicago; and Helen Gal, born on Oct 21, 1922 in Chicago, 944, Ohio Street. In Helen Gal's birth record it says: 5 children born alive and now living, so there must have been at least one more child.

A Rafal Gal died 28 Nov 1939 in Chicago at age 57 ys. The death notice appared in Dziennik Chicagoski on 30 Nov 1939. He was buried 01 Dec 1939 at St. Adalbert's Cemetery, Niles, Cook, IL. Estimated birth year was 1882. His occupation was paint sprayer, his residence was Chicago, his wife's name was Antonette (= Antoinette for Antonina).

Source Citation: Dziennik Chicagoski 1930-1971 Death Notice Index, and "Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N3HZ-J5B : accessed 29 July 2012), Raphael Gal, 1939.

I'm sure there is more info on this family. I have no time to search on at the moment, but as you said, perhaps these pieces of information will help someone break through a brick wall.
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:41 pm      Post subject:

Detail of 1855 map of Odrowaz in the Czarny Dunajec and Nowy Targ (Neumarkt) area. This gives a good view of how close our villages were to the border of Slovakia to the west.

To view and download this entire map and other interesting maps, see this link:
http://polski.mapywig.org/viewpage.php?page_id=43

Click on line 26, called Umgebungen von Neumarkt und Czarny Donajec
The map covers an area much larger than what is shown here (attached below) – it is size 8.9MB, so it is quite large, but this gives you a clear view of the details on the map.

Cropped view Umgebungen_von_Neumarkt_und_Czarny_Donajec.jpg
 Description:
Click to view larger image
 Filesize:  1.81 MB
 Viewed:  10394 Time(s)

Cropped view Umgebungen_von_Neumarkt_und_Czarny_Donajec.jpg

eag

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:30 pm      Post subject: Rafal Gal

I want to say thank you to Ute for posting the marriage record for my great-grandparents Rafael and Antonina Gal. It does provide me with new information. Thanks again and best wishes!
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 am      Post subject: Re: Rafal Gal

eag wrote:
I want to say thank you to Ute for posting the marriage record for my great-grandparents Rafael and Antonina Gal. It does provide me with new information. Thanks again and best wishes!

You are welcome! I'm glad the record is helpful in your research. Please don't hesiate to post if you have any questions or need further help.
Kind regards, Ute
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 am      Post subject:

Zenon kindly shared some videos from Parafina Św. Mari Magdaleny -- the church St. Mary Magdalene in Odrowąż Podhalańskie:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ParafiaOdrowazPodhal

Odrowaz .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.34 KB
 Viewed:  10394 Time(s)

Odrowaz .jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:59 am      Post subject:

The following article is from November 2012 at http://24tp.pl/?mod=news&id=16945
I used Google translate - not the best translation, but enough to understand the main issue. Does anyone know the road described in the article and can show it on a map???

Odrowąż Podhalański: Cut off from the world
The Mountain hamlet residents are cut off from the world.

Za Górą is just a few houses. It leads to more than one kilometer stretch of dirt, unpaved road. Reaches no there is no car. In the rain the road is impassable even for SUV because vehicles buried in the mud. Additional obstacles are holes and bumps. In winter, you forget to reach for anything up. Przeprawiają residents walking through snowdrifts. Just like in the summer, cars leave at the beginning of the entrance to the estate.

John Fudala says that many years ago, the previous residents moved out of the hamlet is the lack of directions. - We have a quiet and beautiful views - praises Mr. John, one of the residents. - Unfortunately, access to the hamlet is very strenuous. Host bred horse because of his help to pave the passage in the winter snow. When the road is completely buried, people walk a short cut through a field. - Routes can not odśnieżyć, and the fields snowmobile collapses. Because I have a horse, I wyorać path in the snow - says John Fudala. Regrets that in the event of a fire, a hamlet does not reaches the fire brigade or ambulance. - In case of disaster we rely on ourselves - sums.

Although over the years for people settlement for local authorities Mountain did nothing, Joseph Bobek, mayor Odrowąża ensures that will help them in this matter. Funds for the partial renovation of roads have already been reserved in the budget for next year country. It is recalled that recently, the repair of roads in Odrowążu gorge was buried for 900 Mountain kubikami earth. Sołectwo therefore not incur any cost. The Mountain is also located on the stretch of asphalt 140 meters - It's my biggest dream to fully make way for the Mount - announced. He added that the flood destroyed the road in recent years. Was included in the request to the Speaker of the grant funds next year to repair the damage after a flood. During the meeting in the village Odrowążu, Joseph Babicz, Czarny Dunajec mayor, said that the way for the Mountain, will be included as a priority in dealing with the consequences of flooding. - If we get funds, I hope that within two years, we will renovate the way - believed Joseph Bobek.[/b]

Odrowaz dirt road.png
 Description:
Read original article in Polish at: http://24tp.pl/?mod=news&id=16945
 Filesize:  650.94 KB
 Viewed:  10401 Time(s)

Odrowaz dirt road.png

Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie

Hi Ute, I was reading some of your messages here and wanted to respond to your comment from Tue Nov 08, 2011 (page 4 of this thread)!

Ute wrote:
Shellie,
While looking for a church marriage record at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, I came across some marriage records that I just wanted to share -- perhaps they will be useful one day. (Source: www.FamilySearch.org, Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records, 1833-1925, St. Adalbert (Chicago) Marriages, 1884-1915).

Anna Gal (baptized in Odrowaz, daughter of Joannes C. Gal and Magdalena Sto[?]), and Joannes Bobek (baptized in Odrowaz, son of Stephanus Bobek and Josepha Klowowska/Klomowska [?], got married on 26 Oct 1913 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, testes being Carolus Leja and Agnes Magrowicz[?].

When I obtained my family records from Odrowaz, I also recorded some additional information. I think this is Anna Gal, born January 1897 in house 264, daughter of Jan Kanty Gal (son of Adalbert/Wojciech Gal and Katarzyna Kieta) and Magdalena Stoch (daughter of Antoni Stoch and Agnieszka Otreba.

Ute wrote:
Adalbertus Maslak (baptized I 1884 in Odrowaz, son of Joannes Maslak and Regina Obrochta), and Karolina Szymusiak (baptized Jan 1889 in Czarny Dunajec, daughter of Adalbertus Szymusiak and Agnes Molek) got married on 3 Nov 1908 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, testes being Josephus Kulniak [?] and Magdalena Gal.

I think this is Adalbert (Wojciech) Cislak, born 1884 in Odrowaz to Jan Cislak and Regina Obrochta. I have also seen the name spelled Wcislak. Adalbert / Wojciech's father, Jan Cislak is the son of Jozef Cislak and Anna Matyja. Adalbert's mother Regina Obrochta is the daughter of Maciej Obrochta and Agnieszka Porebski.

This is what I had for children of Jan Cislak / Wcislak and Regina Obrochta, all born in house 139:
1884 Apr: Adalbert / Wojciech Cislak
1886 Feb: Agnieszka Cislak
1888 Mar: Franciszka Wcislak
1893 May: Stanislaw Wcislak
1897 July: Jan Wcislak
1899 Aug: Michal Wcislak

Ute wrote:
Joannes Grela (baptized 20 VI 1885 in Odrowaz, son of Helena [last name not given, probably Grela, father’s name not given), and Magdalena Zajac (baptized 20 VII 1885 in Odrowaz, daughter of Adalbertus Zajac and Agnes Jasiek [?]), got married on 15 June 1908 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, testes being Franciskus Lenart and Victoria Zajac.

I did not have any information for Joannes (Jan) Grela, and I did not have a baptism for Magdalena Zajac, but I did have some info for Magdalena Zajac's family from house 173 in Odrowaz. Magdalena's father Adalbert (Wojciech) Zajac is the son of Jan Zajac and Regina Kolbreczak / Kokbrecki. Magdalena's mother Agnieszka Janik is the daughter of Tomasz Janik andMarianna Gubala.

Ute wrote:
Joseph Czepiel (baptized II 1888 in Odrowaz, son of Franciscus Czepiel and Anna Tatar), and Magdalena Szmuda (baptized 22 VII 1883 in Odrowaz, daughter of Augustus Szmuda and Marianna Rasik), got married on 7 Sept 1908 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, testes being Franciskus Matyja and Josephine Strama.

I saw this one too! Jozef Czepiel, born Feb 1889 in house 207. His father Franciszek is the son of Wawrzyniec Czepiel and Regina Trojana. His mother Anna Tatar is the daughter of Jan Tatar and Regina Gasienica.

Magdalena Zmuda, born 1883 in Odrowaz to Augustyn Zmuda (son of Jozef Zmuda and Katarzyna Wierzba) and Marianna Las / Lasik, daughter of Andrzej Las and Anna Peksa.
I think this family lived in house 155 in Odrowaz.
mturnage11

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:01 pm      Post subject: Gal family Odrawaz

Hello,

I have a Gal family connection, but do not know if it is to this family or another Gal family. My GG grandfather was Jacenty Zajac from Pieniążkowice. He was born in abt 1867. His first wife was Margaret who died while their children were small. He later remarried. In
1902 he emigrated to McKeesport, PA to the home of his brother-in-law Josef Gal. Also emigrating with him was Woznenty (Walenty?) Csop also from Pieniążkowice and also a brother-in-law to Josef Gal. Either Jacenty married the sister of Josef Gal, possibly Aniela Gal born in 1877, house 158, or a sister of Jacenty Zajac is married to Josef Gal.
Any chance of a marriage in your Gal family to a member of the Zajac or Csop family?
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:51 am      Post subject: Re: Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie

Hi Shellie,
Do you happen to have any information on Franciszek Zajak from Pieniążkowice, son of Andrzej Zajac and Katarzyna (??), baptized in Odrowasz on 12 Dec 1887? He emigrated to the US and married Katarzyna Zajac on 23 Nov 1910 at St. John Cantius Church in Chicago.

Katarzyna Zajac was from Morawczyna, the daughter of Jan Zajac and Regina Majerczyk, baptized in Klikuszowa in September 1889. I'm attaching their church marriage record (Source: Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records, 1833-1925, St John Cantius Parish (Chicago: Carpenter St), Marriages 1909-1915).

A new connection in my family tree ...

ZAJAC Frank and Katarzyna church marriage record 1910-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  449.54 KB
 Viewed:  10395 Time(s)

ZAJAC Frank and Katarzyna church marriage record 1910-2.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:33 am      Post subject:

Ute,

Did you notice that this marriage record list the amount of time each of the parties resided in the parish of St. John Cantius in Chicago? Franciszek resided there for 6 years and Katarzyna for four years.

Dave
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:51 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Ute,

Did you notice that this marriage record list the amount of time each of the parties resided in the parish of St. John Cantius in Chicago? Franciszek resided there for 6 years and Katarzyna for four years.

Dave

Dave,
Is that what it says? That's a helpful hint, thank you! I think Franciszek immigrated abt. 1905 and probably has been attending this parish ever since he arrived in Chicago. I don't know yet when Katarzyna arrived, I guess it was about four years back then. I have to take a second look at the other St. John Cantius marrige records I have to see if they hold this information as well. St. John Cantius records have proven very helpful in my research. Thanks again, Dave!
Ute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Page 6 of 11

Jump to: