PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie

Ute wrote:
Hi Shellie,
Do you happen to have any information on Franciszek Zajak from Pieniążkowice, son of Andrzej Zajac and Katarzyna (??), baptized in Odrowasz on 12 Dec 1887? He emigrated to the US and married Katarzyna Zajac on 23 Nov 1910 at St. John Cantius Church in Chicago.....

Hi Ute!
The only Zajac birth we found in Odrowaz were children of Antoni Zajac and Anna Stoch born in 1862 and 1863. Sadly both died at birth. No grandparents were listed.

The other Zajac births were to Wojciech (son of Jan Zajac and Regina Kolbrecki) and Agnieszka Janik (daughter of Tomasz Janik and Marianna Gubala). Thirteen children born between 1897 and 1902.

That is all I have for this surname. I believe the parish kept separate books for each village attending that church. Not a match for you, but maybe it will help later on....

See my next reply below for a few Zajac mothers I found.

Shellie
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:17 pm      Post subject: Re: Gal family Odrawaz

mturnage11 wrote:
Hello,

I have a Gal family connection, but do not know if it is to this family or another Gal family. My GG grandfather was Jacenty Zajac from Pieniążkowice. He was born in abt 1867. His first wife was Margaret who died while their children were small. He later remarried. In
1902 he emigrated to McKeesport, PA to the home of his brother-in-law Josef Gal. Also emigrating with him was Woznenty (Walenty?) Csop also from Pieniążkowice and also a brother-in-law to Josef Gal. Either Jacenty married the sister of Josef Gal, possibly Aniela Gal born in 1877, house 158, or a sister of Jacenty Zajac is married to Josef Gal.
Any chance of a marriage in your Gal family to a member of the Zajac or Csop family?

Hi mturnage11 - I'm sorry I didn't see your message earlier! Can you give more details on what you said about:
"Either Jacenty married the sister of Josef Gal, possibly Aniela Gal born in 1877, house 158, or a sister of Jacenty Zajac is married to Josef Gal."

Do you know anything about Aniela Gal? Is she the daughter of Jan Gal/Kapusciarz and Antonia Dusza?

Katarzyna Zajac (1881-1927), daughter of Wojciech Zajac and Agnieszka Janik (see my previous message to Ute) was the wife of Stanislaw Gal (son of Jan Gal and Regina Kruzel). I found 3 of their children born in Odrowaz: Antonia Gal born 1900, Jan Ewangelista Gal born 1902, and Franciszek Gal born 1906

There was a Maciej Gal married to a Zofia Czop (dau of Michal Czop) but the information might be too old to be your family. Maciej and Zofia had a child Jan Gal in 1827 in Odrowaz. When the records are this old, the grandparents names were usually not provided, except occasionally the mother's father would be given.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Shellie
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:08 am      Post subject: Re: Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie

Shellie,
Thank you for your quick response and the info you provided on the Zajac births in Odrowaz. I came across two more church marriage records with Odrowaz baptisms while browsing for information on the surname Zajac:

- Joannes (probably Jan) GRE[L]LA, son of Helena Gre[l]la, father's name not given, married Magdalena ZAJAC, daughter of Adalbertus Grela and Agnes Janik, in 1908 in Chicago, 'testes' were Franciskus LENART and Victoria ZAJAC;

- Rafal GAL, son of Franciszek Gal and Agnieszka Babicz, married Antonina STOCH from Pieniaszkowice, daughter of Wincenty Stoch and Agnieszka Grela, in 1910 in Chicago, 'testes' were Franciszek Mierzwa and Antoni Mrozinski.

I'm attaching the records for you -- they may be helpful later on as well.
Ute

GAL-STOCH church marriage record 1910-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  495.49 KB
 Viewed:  8966 Time(s)

GAL-STOCH church marriage record 1910-2.jpg

ZAJAC-GRELA church marriage record 1908-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  468.39 KB
 Viewed:  8966 Time(s)

ZAJAC-GRELA church marriage record  1908-2.jpg

mturnage11

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm      Post subject: Re: Gal family Odrawaz

Shellie wrote:
mturnage11 wrote:
Hello,

I have a Gal family connection, but do not know if it is to this family or another Gal family. My GG grandfather was Jacenty Zajac from Pieniążkowice. He was born in abt 1867. His first wife was Margaret who died while their children were small. He later remarried. In
1902 he emigrated to McKeesport, PA to the home of his brother-in-law Josef Gal. Also emigrating with him was Woznenty (Walenty?) Csop also from Pieniążkowice and also a brother-in-law to Josef Gal. Either Jacenty married the sister of Josef Gal, possibly Aniela Gal born in 1877, house 158, or a sister of Jacenty Zajac is married to Josef Gal.
Any chance of a marriage in your Gal family to a member of the Zajac or Csop family?

Hi mturnage11 - I'm sorry I didn't see your message earlier! Can you give more details on what you said about:
"Either Jacenty married the sister of Josef Gal, possibly Aniela Gal born in 1877, house 158, or a sister of Jacenty Zajac is married to Josef Gal."

Do you know anything about Aniela Gal? Is she the daughter of Jan Gal/Kapusciarz and Antonia Dusza?

Katarzyna Zajac (1881-1927), daughter of Wojciech Zajac and Agnieszka Janik (see my previous message to Ute) was the wife of Stanislaw Gal (son of Jan Gal and Regina Kruzel). I found 3 of their children born in Odrowaz: Antonia Gal born 1900, Jan Ewangelista Gal born 1902, and Franciszek Gal born 1906

There was a Maciej Gal married to a Zofia Czop (dau of Michal Czop) but the information might be too old to be your family. Maciej and Zofia had a child Jan Gal in 1827 in Odrowaz. When the records are this old, the grandparents names were usually not provided, except occasionally the mother's father would be given.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Shellie

I believe it might have been Gregg, that posted copies of a census from Odrawaz, listing the family of Jan Gal and Antonia Dusza. One of the children was Josef Gal. Another child was Aniela Gal. I don't have any idea if that Josef Gal is the same Josef Gal that my Jacenty Zajac was going to see or if someone totally different. Just trying to make a connection and get a little further in my research. Jacenty states his brother-in-law is Josef Gal is his brother-in-law; he is traveling with Walenty Csop and Walenty also states Josef is his brother-in-law. I do appreciate all your help.
Marilyn
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:04 pm      Post subject:

Marilyn,
The Gal family is difficult to trace because there are sooooooo many of them! But we should keep talking and maybe we will make some discoveries!
Shellie
Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 am      Post subject:

mturnage11 began a thread about her ancestors from Pieniazkowice and we've been talking about the village. It is right beside Odrowaz and many of our ancestors married people from Pieniazkowice.

If you would like to read more about Pieniazkowice or talk about your ancestors from this village, check out this link:

http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=12395
rjaremus

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 pm      Post subject: Ancestral research

Shellie,

I have a great grandmother that is from Odrowaz and was wondering if someone there can do genealogical research. If so, what would the fee be to find a church or public birth record about someone from the area? Maybe we should take this offline.

Rolfe Jaremus
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Ancestral research

Hi Rolfe!
It is nice to see you here again! If you want to say more about your great grandmother here, my genealogy cousins and I will check our trees and records for her name and help you as much as possible. That's why I started this discussion thread ..... To share what I have discovered and to encourage others to join in.

Let's see what we can find among us first. Several of us have been discussing options for utilizing the services of researchers in Poland, so you are welcome to join this discussion.

I am about to send you a private message too.
Shellie

rjaremus wrote:
Shellie,

I have a great grandmother that is from Odrowaz and was wondering if someone there can do genealogical research. If so, what would the fee be to find a church or public birth record about someone from the area? Maybe we should take this offline.

Rolfe Jaremus
rjaremus

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 pm      Post subject:

Shellie,

I notice from the Odrowaz family surnames list that there are Figus' that lived there. Was wondering if there are any records for a Szezepan Figus (my great grandfather). Szezepan died of the flu in 1920 during the Great Infuenza Outbreak. He was on the way to hospital in Nowy Targ and died in transit. I assumed he was from Czarny Dunajec, however I do not know where he is buried or was born. He was married to Aniela Las who was born in Odrowaz and buried in the Czarny Dunajec church cemetery alongside their sea captain son, Jan Figus. I have always wondered what happened to him. Any information you have would be most appreciated.
Send e-mail
rjaremus

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:29 pm      Post subject: Figus family

Shellie,

I am looking back at some notes that you sent me back in February of 2010 about the Figus family. My grandmother was Anna Figus, from Czarny Dunajec. She was the daughter of Szezepan Figus who is from the area but I am not sure if he is from Odrowaz or Czarny Dunajec. That said, I also know that you also have an Anna Figus, daughter of Michal Figus from Czarny Dunajec. No doubt Michal and Szezepan are related somewhere up the line.

I was wondering if you or anyone that knows the Figus family well has heard of the idea that the Figus name might be from Italy? Sounds wierd to me, but since Figus has a meaning in Italian, I can certainly see the supposed connection. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about that rumor? Question
Send e-mail
lucabadie

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 am      Post subject:

Hello !
We have asked a man who lives in Zalucne, Mariusz Zaskalski, a relative of Zofia RAFACZ, to send us as many informations as possible, to make our tree.
If anybody knows about RAFACZ, BALA and MAJERSKI /A, please contact me
I read that some houses get a number in your trees, is it from a census or a map of the town ?
Thank you
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:26 pm      Post subject:

Hi Luc!
Some documents have house numbers. Most of the house numbers that we have discussed are from church records. I was told that today, the house numbers are changed.
lucabadie

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:54 pm      Post subject:

thanks Shellie !
I really think we would move to Odrowaz this year, probably this summer, 1500 miles by car then back... mmmmmh, busy hollidays ! I will tell you about our search about the Rafacz family and if we can make our tree...
see you
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 am      Post subject:

My cousin Andre found this great map from mapire that shows historical maps of the Habsburg Empire. This section shows an overlay of maps of Odrowaz. Slide the Opacity to see the layers.

http://mapire.eu/en/map/mkf_gal/?zoom=14&lat=49.49309&lon=19.85052

Screen shot 2014-05-28 at 1.31.10 AM.png
 Description:
Screen Shot of Map - Go to link to see entire map. http://mapire.eu/en/map/mkf_gal/?zoom=14&lat=49.49309&lon=19.85052
 Filesize:  1003.19 KB
 Viewed:  8967 Time(s)

Screen shot 2014-05-28 at 1.31.10 AM.png

rjaremus

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:09 pm      Post subject:

Hey Shellie, I was re-reading the posts on this forum and would like to ask you something offline however I lost your email address. Can you send me an email so that we can connect. - [email protected]. Thanks.

Rolfe Jaremus
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next Page 7 of 11

Jump to: