PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:40 pm      Post subject: Maly Szymwoczek??

Hello All,

I need some assistance in deciphering/ finding a village for my great grandmother. I have attached the handwritten portion which lists the name of the place that she was born and the best I can decipher looks like Maly Szymwoczek or Maly Szymiverek Neither of which appear anywhere on a map of course.

I have found some with potentially close names, like Szymonkow (Opole), Szczawinca (Podkarpackie), Szcawnica (Pod), Szembruczek (Kuy-Pom), etc, but none of these have the designation of Maly in front of them.

I do know that she was from German-Poland, so that would eliminate a few areas. She arrived in 1882, and there is nothing listed on the ship manifest. She left from Bremen, so those records are unable to be checked either.

The only other potential clue that I have is that when she arrived, she lived with her brother who had come over with his wife a few years earlier. I have found a reference that her sister in law was born in Gzwdziasz Poland (Which I beleive is supposed to be Grudziadz), so this village is likely to/ may be somewhere near there.

Any help that anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Michael Rudnik

Maly S.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.77 KB
 Viewed:  11245 Time(s)

Maly S.png

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1026

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:22 pm      Post subject:

Hi Michael,

My eyes see it as "Mały Szymróczek" which I take to be someone's spelling of what they heard her say. Pure wild guess here - - I think Szembruczek is a very likely possibility. The two sounds are reasonably close. Szembruczek is close to Grudziadz, as you can see on google maps. Also, just a bit northeast of Szembruczek is Szembruk - - so, I think you could say that Szembruczek was kind of "little Szembruk" and maybe that is how the "Mały" got added to it. As I say, a bit of a wild guess. What you might do is to look at ship manifests for any siblings or cousins who may have emigrated later, as one of them might have a more clearly written place name on their manifest. Perhaps she had a male relative who might have put his place of birth on a WWI draft registration form or something. Look around and see what you can find.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4190

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:17 pm      Post subject:

can You upload full record with the name of this village?
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:34 pm      Post subject:

I concur with Sophia finding of Szembruk or Szembruczek.
Those two villages are in the north-east of Grudziadz, less than 30 km:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szembruk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szembruczek

We shall remember that in Polish the suffix -ek in itself says “little”.
Szembruczek is close enough in pronunciation to Szymwoczek or better Szymróczek
Mały Szembruk is Szembruczek using suffix –ek, Mały Szembruczek is like a double repetition of “little”

Best,
Elzbieta
NB. Marcelproust - it is from a handwritten note in Chicago, deciphering and comments, see here:
http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26198#26198
Mrudnik

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:03 am      Post subject:

Sophia and Elizabeita,

Thank you for the suggestions - that certainly makes sense. I did see both of those villages near Grudziadz, but was thrown by the "Maly" part. This definitely gives me some more information. I have been looking for cousins, etc - most siblings seem to have come over before she did.

Thank you both again.

Michael
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:41 pm      Post subject:

Michael,

It would probably make sense to move on by browsing the parish records for Szembruk for Weronika's birth record. Szembruk was the parish for both Szembruk and for Szembruczek (cf. far right column in attachment). Records for the parish have not been indexed and it appears that the only records available online are the civil records (in German) beginning in 1874, which is too late for her birth. However, there are two LDS films which contain the parish registers. Film number 72738 contains births (1792-1882), marriages (1826-1917), and deaths (1826-1883) and film number 16618634 contains births (1882-1890) and marriages (1880-1890). The records will be in Latin. An investment of $7.50 to rent a film and a few hours of your time seems to me to be worthwhile on the chance that it is the correct location. The civil records are online at the genealogiawarchiwiach site.

If you do not find her surname as Kosnowski, it is possible that it could appear as Kossowski.

Best wishes for your successful research,

Dave

szembruk.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.8 KB
 Viewed:  11245 Time(s)

szembruk.JPG

Mrudnik

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:45 pm      Post subject:

Thank You Dave,

That is certainly something to look at and I will be pursuing it.

Again, I appreciate all of the assistance you all have give.

Michael.
Mish231

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:23 am      Post subject:

My Cichocki and Szymilowski family are from Sezmburk also... They immigrated to Australia and New Zealand
Mrudnik

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:35 am      Post subject:

Hello Mish,

Were you able to find any records available for them?
Mish231

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 am      Post subject:

Hi there Yes I had a good deal of success although the records are in bad handwriting I could get most of the information I needed. The families in this area did move around a bit in the 1800. My family lived in Sezmbruk but also Lasin and Mokrau depending where they could get work. But they are all 20 km away from each other. It seems that in the 1840 s there were only about 300 people living in Gross Schönbrük so chances are you will find what you are looking for in the church records. Good luck. Just out of interest my family names there are Schumelowski/Szymilowski Cichocki Ruszchowski and Kanacei Kanatzki
Mrudnik

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:12 am      Post subject:

Did you get the information from the LDS records on microfilm, or were you able to find the records somewhere else? Just curious as to where all I can find information. I haven't had time to go to the center and am looking for any easier place to look before I make the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: