PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:45 am      Post subject: Zaluczne near Czarny Dunajec and Odrowaz in Malopolskie

If your ancestors are from Załuczne, be sure to add your information to the Places Database at: http://polishorigins.com/places
You can also add your family surnames to the Surname Database: http://polishorigins.com/surnames

Please reply to this thread and leave a comment.

Go to this website, select the Polish language, and cut/paste the word Załuczne to hear how to pronounce Załuczne in Polish:
http://www.ivona.com/

Załuczne is part of Gmina Czarny Dunajec, within Nowy Targ County, Lesser Poland Voivodeship (Malopolskie). It is directly west of Odrowaz and east of Piekielnik.

See a map here: http://tinyurl.com/Zaluczne-map

There is a wonderful website devoted to Załuczne, created by Piotrek Kocanda and Adam Błęka. http://www.zaluczne.net/
This website is in Polish, but if you download the Google translator for Polish, you can automatically translate these pages. The website is worth a look. There is a nice history of the village, some history about the fire department (with family names!)

The chapel in Załuczne is part of the Odrowaz parish. There is no cemetery – burials are most likely in the cemetery at Odrowaz. The Załuczne website has fantastic photos of the chapel: http://podhale.delfnet.com/kosciolfoto.html
Read about it in English here: http://tinyurl.com/Zal-Len

The following surnames are associated with Załuczne – most came from the Zaluczne.net website or the Ellis Island ship manifest database. Please add to this list if you have surnames from this village:

Adamiak . Antolak . Babicz . Babic . Babich . Babiczak . Bala . Baltyzer . Bałtyzer . Bartyzal . Bartyzał . Bebla . Bebła . Biela . Bielak . Bielański . Biernat . Bilenski . Bleba . Błęba . Bleka . Błęka . Błeka . Blenka . Bobek . Boczyleński . Brzeźniak . Chlebek . Clebek . Ciesla . Cisz . Czepiel . Czyż . Darda . Dudka . Fitak . Foryś . Gajpasik . Gal . Galiński . Gehmeidy . Glowacz . Głowacz . Goreś . Gorysiak . Grela . Grelok . Grześ . Gubala . Gubała . Gucz . Harbut . Jankowski . . Jankouski . Jasiec . Jasieic . Jasień . Jasieniak . Kadlub . Kadłub . Kadlup . Kalec . Kalecz . Klabab . Klapac . Klimek . Kocańda . Koczanda . Kolec . Kolodziej . Kołodziej . Komperda . Koniczak . Kozielec . Kulawiak . Krupa . Kuczek . Kurdupel . Kusper . Las . Łaś . Labuda . Łabuda . Lenart . Ligas . Lopaciarz . Łopaciarz . Lopata . Łopata . Lowisz . Ludwiczak . Marzak . Maśnica . Masnicki . Maśniczak . Mazur . Morawczyński . Motyka . Myrda . Niedźwiedź . Obyrtacz . Ogórniak . Oskwarek . Otremba . Piatek . Piątek . Piemtka . Pietka . Piętka . Pietrzak . Pilch . Pluta . Pololka . Rafach . Rafacki . Rafacz . Rapacz . Rebidacz . Sajdak . Schmergl . Septa . Sienkowa . Skupien . Stecz . Skwarek . Sopala . Stoch . Stopka . Strama . Swientek . Swietek . Szal . Szczyrba . Szepta . Szymuś . Szymusiak . Szynka . Szynka . Szynka . MikołajTrabka . Trąbka . Tylka . Ujeński . Urban . Waclawiak . Wacławiak . Węsyk . Wensyk . Wierzba . Woytaszek . Wrona . Wrzesien . Wyttarci . Zazel . Zązel . Zeglin . Zieba . Zięba

I stopped in Załuczne in July 2009 on my Forefathers Traces Tour with Zenon. If you live in Załuczne, or you are researching your family history in Załuczne, please add your comments, questions, or family information. If we can pool together our resources and information, we may be able to help each other.

projektkosciol.jpg
 Description:
1933 plans for Zaluczne chapel from website: http://podhale.delfnet.com/projektkosciol.jpg
 Filesize:  89.03 KB
 Viewed:  18277 Time(s)

projektkosciol.jpg

Zaluczne chapel looking east.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.1 KB
 Viewed:  18278 Time(s)

Zaluczne chapel looking east.jpg

Zaluczne Chapel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.85 KB

Zaluczne Chapel.jpg

Zaluczne border.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  213.56 KB
 Viewed:  18278 Time(s)

Zaluczne border.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:43 pm; edited 6 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 pm      Post subject:

I found an interesting conversation related to Zaluczne in the comments section of my family story at:
http://blog.polishorigins.com/2009/06/11/shellies-family-history-and-tour-to-ancestral-places/

I've decided to copy the conversation to this thread because of the valuable information that is bound to help out others in the future:

John wrote on Nov 6, 2010:
My grandfather comes from Zaluczne and grandmother (Laska(i)) from Stare Bystre. The Kalec family records are in the Odrowaz parish and was hopeful someone could tell me how to access them. I have a list of the Kalec family members born and baptized in the parish in 1860-1879 and was hopeful there is more info. Other family names mentioned were Komperda, Jasien, and Lopata. The earliest record (I believe) is of my great grandfather Andrej Kalec born in 1840+/-. Andrew married Regina Lopata.
I enjoy researching family history and would like to hear if any of these names are recognized.

Darleen replied on Dec 18, 2010:
I haven’t been on this site in a long time I read your letter with interest all of the names that you mentioned were also on my great grandfathers baptism papers that I had copies of Andre Kalec and Regina Lopata were the names listed for his parents.
My Great grandfathers name was Jacob Kalec he was born 1869 He came to the US in 1904 I believe that he had a brother named William that also came to the US but unable to obtain any info on him. Its possible that there may be a connection to us.

John replied on Jan 7, 2011:
William and Jacob Kalec were brothers of my grandfather Mathew. I would love to hear more about their parents Andrew Kalec and Regina Lopata. Tomasz Kalec and Rozalia Komperda were Andrew’s parents and Jan Lopata and Rozalia Jasien were Regina’s parents. They all lived in Zaluczne and came to the US at various times. My grandfather settled in Braidwood, Illinois where I am from and my parents still live today. William and Jacob both moved to Utah I believe. Martha was their sister and she settled in Oregon. There were 4 other brothers and sisters.
I have visited Zaluczne 2 times and the mayor of the village found these church records in Odrowaz.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Darleen replied on Jan 7, 2011:
Great I was hoping that I would hear from you again…. I did not know that my great grandfather had any other brothers. Willliam and Jacob were in Wyoming and Colorado at various times.
Thought that their sister was in Chicago Illinois at one time. It would be great if we could exchange some information looking forward to hearing from you again.
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:39 pm      Post subject:

Darleen, your information is very interesting and I hope that you'll post more on this site.

John, I am very interested in hearing more about your 2 visits to Zaluczne. When I visited Odrowaz, I found a cousin in Zaluczne. All of the names that you mention in your conversation above are familiar to me - I saw them in the church records that I viewed in Odrowaz.
lkocanda

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:31 pm      Post subject: kocanda family from Zaucze, Nowy Targ

ISO any information about Fabian Kocanda ( middle name may have been Robert)
Birth 15 Aug 1894 in Zaucze, Nowy Targ Poland
Death May 1960 in Burbank, Cook, Illinois, United States
His Father was Jan Kanty
His Mother was Annie
UPDATE----More information with Form SS-5.(Enclosed)
Thanks for the help.
Lisa

photo.JPG
 Description:
Yes I blocked the SS Number to prevent ID theft.
 Filesize:  237.22 KB
 Viewed:  18279 Time(s)

photo.JPG

Last edited by lkocanda on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:08 am      Post subject: Database with reference to Zaluczne

If your ancestors are from Zaluczne, please have a look at the database of Zaluczne emigrants that I posted in the forum section 'Emigration': http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1107
The database is based on information found in the New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924, the Bremen Passenger Departure Lists, 1904-1914, and at www.FamySearch.org. It is still under construction with additions and corrections of obvious or possible misspellings being made step by step. Any additions that help to complete it are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Ute on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
lkocanda

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:32 pm      Post subject:

Jan Kanty Kocanda
B.Dec 2 1857
Came to US about 1901 or 1902
May have returned to Poland with his son John  in 1920's (found record
of son return to US in 1930's)
Married to Anna Majchrowicz
Her Birth about 1865.
Came to US about 1905
They may have had 2 children with the names of -
Fabian
 and
Aniela
If you have any information on this family I would really like your help
Thanks,
Lisa Kocanda
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm      Post subject:

Lisa,
have you seen the attached death certificate of Victoria Kocanda who died 28 Feb 1910 at age 3 years, Father: John Kocanda, Mother: Annie Kajchrovicz [Majchrowicz?] Is this the family you are researching?
Source: Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922 -- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7NX-88Z
Ute

Kocanda, Victoria death 1910.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  251.2 KB

Kocanda, Victoria death 1910.jpg

Last edited by Ute on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 am; edited 2 times in total
lkocanda

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:06 pm      Post subject:

Ute;
It;s possible this is the same family..
I am interested on the father and son travels to England and whre they went fromn there..
babblingbrook

Replies: 46

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:28 pm      Post subject:

lkocanda,
This name is in my family also. I think I had messaged you once but forget now. Do you have a tree going or need more info? Clarify for me as we do have a number of Kocanda records but not so many records for Zaluczne, some not all. This name was present in both towns and they are so close, can walk between them. You may be interested to know that Kocanda was a name present in the beginning of Odrowaz, just like my maiden name Czepiel. Smile It got a bit changed and then changed back. Let me know if you are needing help with anything and I will see if I can.
cajundave

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am      Post subject:

Hi Everyone,
I am attaching a copy of my grandmothers certificate of baptism. I am looking for help with deciphering the names that are hand written on the document. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Dave

Kalec Angela baptism .jpg
 Description:
Click image to enlarge
 Filesize:  777.89 KB

Kalec Angela baptism .jpg

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 am      Post subject:

cajundave wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I am attaching a copy of my grandmothers certificate of baptism. I am looking for help with deciphering the names that are hand written on the document. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Dave

Dave,
What I'm reading is Angela, Roman Catholic, female, legitimate, Father: Thomas Kalec[z], son of Mathias Kalec[z] and Rozalia Kocanda [?]; Mother: Thecla Babicz, daughter of Joseph Babicz and Anna Szymusiak. Godparents: Vitalis Kalec[z] and Angela Lenart.
I'm going to check the database of Zaluczne emigrants that Cheri and I put together -- http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1107 -- it is still under construction and a little messy, but perhaps I'll have more info on your names.
Ute

Last edited by Ute on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cajundave

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:19 am      Post subject: Your kind help

Ute,
Thank you so much for you help with this!

Dave
cajundave

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 am      Post subject:

Ute,
Additionally, there was some vague rumor that there may have been someone of Jewish decent in her family tree. It would be very interesting to confirm this.
Thanks again,
Dave
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:19 pm      Post subject:

cajundave wrote:
Ute,
Additionally, there was some vague rumor that there may have been someone of Jewish decent in her family tree. It would be very interesting to confirm this.
Thanks again,
Dave

Dave,
The answer to that you may find if you go one or two generations back. The Zaluczne Books of Births 1786-1805 are in the Odrowaz parish, however, I don't know if Jewish records were kept separately from Christian records or together with them. Would be interesting to find out.
Ute
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:23 pm      Post subject:

Dave,
Just curious -- is this your family? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X7HP-1H6
Ute

Last edited by Ute on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: