PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:35 am      Post subject: Impact of distance between towns in Mazowieckie

I have recently discovered a possible third cousin through my research online and we are in the process of confirming common ancestors to prove that we are related, which is looking increasingly likely Very Happy. However, the one thing that concerns me is that from her research, it states that my 2xgreat grandmother Marianna Szwejkowska was born in Kurowo, under Krasne parish and her husband, my 2xgreat-grandfather Franciszek Blados was born in Załuże, under the parish of Różan. Her research indicates that they were married in Kozin (Krasne), before moving to Janopole (Czerwonka), where my great-grandmother and my grandmother were born (of which I have the records). From looking at Google Maps, these locations are within 20-30kms away from each other, which doesn't seem like much now but I had always thought that any introduction of long distances (in turns of walking distance which equals anywhere from 3-6 hours) meant that there was no chance that they were related. However, I know that my great-grandfather also came from the parish of Różan before moving to Janopole, so I guess the question I am asking is: did they really undertake such long journeys and move around so much in the 1800s?? If so, what were some of the possible reasons for this?? I had always presumed that my family had always been in or around Janopole, so I think the possibility that they may have been from somewhere else has thrown me a little bit. Keen to hear others' thoughts and advice.
Megan.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm      Post subject:

Hi Megan,
I have no advice for you, but I can tell you from my own experience that people did travel. Some branches of my family traveled quite a bit from village to village and even crossing from Prussia into Russian Poland. They seemed to have traveled to find work (my ancestors were blacksmiths, wheelrights, cartrights, and farm laborers). They also traveled to escape war or oppression. I don't know what kind of transport they used - walking, using a wagon and horse, or using the many rivers, but my ancestors definitely moved around - which makes it hard for me as a researcher to keep on their trail!
Wishing you the best in your research,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: